Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

It's a perfectly fine comma. The problem is "making GBS threads myself" is a dangling participial phrase that does not modify the subject of the following clause: "she".

Yeah, that was lazy short hand, referring to my comment on the previous sentence with a hanging participle. I'll endeavour to do better next time. I would argue that it's still a bad comma though, it's not like the sentence reads better as 'making GBS threads myself she began to frown.'

E: actually, I think I focused on the comma because that's how you get high schoolers to see the problem. Hanging participles happen all the time in spoken English because there's feedback in dialogue and people are thinking as they're talking. Students still in the 'writing as they speak' phase tend to drop commas where their internal dialogue pauses and call it good. Forcing them to check where their commas are tends to force a reread and they're able to sort their sentences out eventually. So yeah, my internal heuristic is 'bad comma' for several related issues like misplaced modifiers, run ons, and general awkward construction.

mewse posted:

I'm not reading this, glad you enjoyed my rendition

It pretty instantly encapsulated a lot of Rothfussian problems, although I dont remember him being quite as bad on a sentence construction level. If I were to rate it as it is instead of what it was pretending to be, I'd rate it A+, accurate and insightful caricature.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

the JJ posted:

I would argue that it's still a bad comma though, it's not like the sentence reads better as 'making GBS threads myself she began to frown.'

This is a comma splice, and it illustrates why the comma isn't the problem with the sentence in question. :v:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I still dont get the weird attempt to try and praise Rothfuss with faint damning and saying "the one who criticized him was an rear end and had bad takes" to do it. Did he announce something on reddit?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pacho posted:

I still dont get the weird attempt to try and praise Rothfuss with faint damning and saying "the one who criticized him was an rear end and had bad takes" to do it. Did he announce something on reddit?

Nah man the thread has done significantly more Rothfussian writing than he has in the last year or so.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pacho posted:

a guy who bumps the thread every month with just 'write the book' bumped the thread despite there being no new information and someone immediately decided to poo poo on neil gaiman for no reason, resulting in a sort of hellish chaos energy that continues to echo, like a river-smooth stone at the edge of winter's third snow and just as tall

mewse
May 2, 2006

Patware posted:

like a river-smooth stone at the edge of winter's third snow and just as tall

:hmmyes:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I mostly just think BOTL's posts about it were boring, Rothfuss deserves every single criticism leveled at him though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Neil Patrick Rothfuss is a great artist.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Horizon Burning posted:

gently caress off, patrick

Lol

I think botl's rothfuss criticism was fun to read but the real joy was seeing jivjov meltdown. You kind of lose something just reading botl's posts

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
BOTLfuss

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Patware posted:

a guy who bumps the thread every month with just 'write the book' bumped the thread despite there being no new information and someone immediately decided to poo poo on neil gaiman for no reason, resulting in a sort of hellish chaos energy that continues to echo, like a river-smooth stone at the edge of winter's third snow and just as tall

In my defense, he needs to write the book.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hughmoris posted:

No he just needs to admit he’s not.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ghost writing is writing, its right there in the name.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

what would you gain from that

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

the JJ posted:

You made me look up word origins for an internet argument.

Ahem. :goonsay: *pushes glasses up the bridge of his nose* "Well ackchually, temperate comes from the Latin tempero for restrained, and as the season of summer is not a literal being with 'emotions' or 'feelings' to restrain, therefore Shakespeare's metaphor here is terrible. And what's he doing anyway, first he's all 'you're like a summer day' and then he's all 'lol nope'. What's the point of bringing up summer then? What a scrub, can't even be consistent. And describing people as warm? Only if they have loving fever! Oooooh, gottem!" *everybody claps*

Oh, nevermind. :goonsay: *pushes glasses up the bridge of his nose* "Seasons can't have kids, the comparison is totally dumb. God, what author can't keep his tone or metaphors consistent? Why did I even read this stupid sonnet if he was going to drop the summer thing. I don't get why everyone is slobbering on this Shakespeare guy's nob, all his fans must be virgin losers, fantasizing about being chad's like his author insert Othello." *everybody claps*

I can't tell if you're taking the piss or if you actually think "seasons can't have kids" has any relevance to the metaphor. Youth is fleeting. Summer days are fleeting. There is a comparison that can be made there, hence a meaningful metaphor. (and I don't mean "meaningful" as in "is good and emotional" I mean it as "actual conveys information")

quote:

To go to autumn, yeah, in some places the transition to autumn can be a long, slow, moderately melancholic process (days grow shorter, leaves slowly turn, frost begins to appear, just a little at first and then every morning) compared to the advent of spring (the snow melts! the flowers bloom! birds return!) I don't think it's a particularly good metaphor, or the kind of writing I personally enjoy in a fantasy novel, but it's not bad on it's own merits. I can see what it's trying to say well enough if I bother to engage with the text. Yeah, you might not want to engage because the author is a shithead who is up his own rear end, but doesn't mean it's not there.

But he isn't talking about the slow transition to autumn. He's talking about silence being deep and broad, which autumns ending isn't. (and while I think a silence can be broad, if it's a heavy, opresssive silence, like a smothering blanket* I don't think that's what the silence he's trying to convey is). And in your example of melancholic turn to winter, the key feature is death and frost, not silence so it still doesn't fit.

*Silence can be smothering. Blankets can be smothering. Therefore, I can use one as a metaphor to the other. I couldn't say it's smothering like gin, because gin is not smothering.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Patware posted:

what would you gain from that

closure

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Even if Rothfuss ever writes book 3, there is no chance it wraps up anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think the funniest outcome would be Rothfuss getting pulled off his own series, Brandon Sanderson coming in and writing an extremely workmanlike 500 pages of pure plot where Kvothe kills a king and doesn't have any sex, and Rothfuss writing an angry blog post about his masterpiece being sullied like that BITCH Linda from high school after she started wearing contacts and going out with Greg from the soccer team

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Why would you wish such a horror onto poor Brandon like that?

Give it to John Ringo or Larry Correia or someone else in the same talent tier as Rothfuss.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I was mostly thinking Sanderson because that dude could knock it out in like two months and hit all of the planned plot beats without breaking a sweat

Also, don't give Larry Correia money

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Antivehicular posted:

I think the funniest outcome would be Rothfuss getting pulled off his own series, Brandon Sanderson coming in and writing an extremely workmanlike 500 pages of pure plot where Kvothe kills a king and doesn't have any sex, and Rothfuss writing an angry blog post about his masterpiece being sullied like that BITCH Linda from high school after she started wearing contacts and going out with Greg from the soccer team

I think the funniest outcome would actually be Rothfuss releasing a brilliant piece of literature that cleanly wraps up the trilogy. Can you imagine the smudgeness that would radiate from that body and face?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The beatific smile as he ascends to Heaven, Cheerios boxes floating in his wake

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He learned from GRRM. Except Rothfuss can say mental illness and get a poo poo ton of bonus points, GRRMs ego won't allow him to show any weakness like that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also GRRM is an old man and had a full career before he hit his writers block, Rothfuss gave up after two books

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Why would you wish such a horror onto poor Brandon like that?

Give it to John Ringo or Larry Correia or someone else in the same talent tier as Rothfuss.

Rude to Rothfuss. No, seriously. They not only suck at writing but also are much shittier people.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Also GRRM is an old man and had a full career before he hit his writers block, Rothfuss gave up after two books

1 really.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The series Tigtone has a lot of Rothfussian writing in it but on purpose

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
BOTL had some good riffs on The Name of the Wind, but he didn't like Book of the New Sun and was very dismissive of Gene Wolfe, so he's not exactly a pure being of energy handing out literary truths. He's just a dude with opinions. It's weird that people are hung up on him.

The most Rothfussian outcome is that he writes the third book, it's legit good and manages to tie everything together while threading the impossible needle of the unreliable narrator plot, but the "fans" hate it and dedicate themselves to making YouTube videos about how Rothfuss is woke now or something and has to be stopped.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

BOTL had some good riffs on The Name of the Wind, but he didn't like Book of the New Sun and was very dismissive of Gene Wolfe, so he's not exactly a pure being of energy handing out literary truths. He's just a dude with opinions. It's weird that people are hung up on him.
Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine to have Disagreeable Opinions on Books. I'm a pretty huge Wolfe fan and I enjoyed BotL ranting on the topic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think discussion and disagreement on literary analysis are good things, but I never felt his criticisms of Wolfe were coming from a place of good faith.

He repeated a couple of times that Wolfe was long and dense. That was more or less the meat of his critique. Wolfe isn't immune to criticism, but going after length and density aren't really condemnations. It's not like with Rothfuss where even the basic prose is incoherent.

It was actually sort of a letdown because he just didn't really engage with the writing at all.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

No Dignity posted:

Yeah I heard a podcast summarize and analyze The Sandkings and now I'm gonna keep my eyes open for old-GRRM at old-book stores.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
pee pee doo doo he is a bad author

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Here's the truth.

Rothfuss was in no way using the image of a vase of slowly dying flowers to describe the atmosphere around a dying guy. If he was, he could have just said, "He was silent and still, like vase of rotting flowers." The hyphen says it all. What is a cut-flower? And what sound could it possibly make? Obviously, Rothfuss got lucky and has never admitted his opening sentences can't even generate their own meaning, but rely on reference to a visual trope common to anime.

You can practically hear the sound the katana doesn't make.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jimbot posted:

I agree with all of this. I can maybe muster a defense for the first book because I remember it had some alright stuff in it (I won't because a lot of it is hazy), but the second book has aged super poorly. It was already bad at the time and this was before I knew what the hell an incel was and when you do it goes into super loving creepy territory.

For all its many, many flaws the first book at least made some effort at the "all my legends are bullshit here's the boring truth" thing (and still hosed up a few times), whereas the sequel was outright "actually all those legends are right and in some cases the truth is even more amazing" from start to finish. Also the ending where he does a bunch of extra bullshit to basically scam the Mayor via tuition shenanigans really just added another tire to the fire of "Kvothe is a massive rear end in a top hat and not a hero" despite Rothfuss clearly trying to make him out to be cool and smart.

Antivehicular posted:

I can't imagine Sanderson wanting anything to do with the Kingkiller poo poo show considering he has his own, better, settings he's working on (and whose tv/movie stuff will likely actually come to fruition). Give it to someone like Abercrombie as punishment for using a foreshadowing :killdozer: repeatedly in the First Law books.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I didn't really intend that joke to have much to do with Sanderson in specific; he was just the first guy I thought of as a hired-gun series-finisher who could knock out all the dangling plot threads in a tight package. Replace him with Donald Westlake or another vintage crime-paperback factory if you like.

Bonus comedy option: R.L. Stine

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I didn't really intend that joke to have much to do with Sanderson in specific; he was just the first guy I thought of as a hired-gun series-finisher who could knock out all the dangling plot threads in a tight package. Replace him with Donald Westlake or another vintage crime-paperback factory if you like.

Bonus comedy option: R.L. Stine

Don't do that to R.L. Stine.

Evil Fluffy posted:

For all its many, many flaws the first book at least made some effort at the "all my legends are bullshit here's the boring truth" thing (and still hosed up a few times), whereas the sequel was outright "actually all those legends are right and in some cases the truth is even more amazing" from start to finish. Also the ending where he does a bunch of extra bullshit to basically scam the Mayor via tuition shenanigans really just added another tire to the fire of "Kvothe is a massive rear end in a top hat and not a hero" despite Rothfuss clearly trying to make him out to be cool and smart.

The dumbest one was "I burned down a town" when I'm not sure how he'd ever even be blamed for that since it was very clearly a dragon. I mean, a dracchus. I don't even really remember anyone else involved besides the little girl with the vase and the horse seller guy.

Well to be fair, they're all dumb because they're treated (we're told) reverently as great heroic stories, but who is spreading these stories around and hyping them up? For all the other students there's be nothing special at all. Like, they're either poo poo no one witnessed, poo poo people witnessed but was obviously mundane at the time, or just apparently entirely made-up.

We still don't even know what made him famous. Like, for all of his "you may have heard of me", his spiel never actually includes the reason why people started paying attention to him in the first place.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 27, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
What hurts my brain is that Kvothe isn't even 30 by the time he's an innkeeper. I've been working on a broadly similar story (a traveler collecting stories meets another traveler who wants to share with him stories about the protagonist of a 300 year old tall tale; then he starts to realize she might actually be the protagonist), and it only seems to work if there's enough time and space for those legends to build up.

It reads like something the kind of person who gives themself their own nickname, and it's something stupid like King Lord Wolf Sword, would write.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guys like Buehlman are already writing their own better Kingkiller inspired stories with Blacktongue Thief and then there are the outright plagiarizers like RR Virdi. I’m actually curious to read The first binding to find out if it’s actually as much of a rip off as I’ve heard

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

What hurts my brain is that Kvothe isn't even 30 by the time he's an innkeeper. I've been working on a broadly similar story (a traveler collecting stories meets another traveler who wants to share with him stories about the protagonist of a 300 year old tall tale; then he starts to realize she might actually be the protagonist), and it only seems to work if there's enough time and space for those legends to build up.

It reads like something the kind of person who gives themself their own nickname, and it's something stupid like King Lord Wolf Sword, would write.

It's funny you say that, as at certain points, Kvothe claims he had been spreading rumors about his own deeds, and people lapped it up and spread them as Super Hyper Legends Of The Coolest Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i am legitimately terrified of the idea of someone doing derivative works of rothfuss