Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anyone need a signed copy of Nona? I ended up with an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Idaholy Roller posted:

Also if Nona is a RB why isn’t she massive and spooky and chitinous and everything??? The other RBS we’ve seen are terrifying
Resurrection beasts are just especially powerful spooky ghosts. Nona is Earth's ghost possessing Harrow's body instead of being free floating or possessing some random asteroid

Like how Wake goes from her skeleton -> Gideon's sword -> Cytheria's corpse and is trying to jump to Harrow's body, Earth/Annabelle/Alecto/Nona goes planet -> body made by John -> Harrow's body -> back to tomb body. If she was loose off in space, she'd probably be all weird too

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Foxfire_ posted:

Resurrection beasts are just especially powerful spooky ghosts. Nona is Earth's ghost possessing Harrow's body instead of being free floating or possessing some random asteroid

(the wall of spoiler tags continues, do not click unless you've finished the book)

I think it's more than that -- Nona is a melange of Harrow and Alecto.

There's two big Chekhov's Guns that Palamedes and Pyrrha point out:

* Palamedes: "Cam's body tries to reject my soul, like when you try to blink dust out of your eye. But your body would never try to reject its own soul... unless it didn't recognize it. Unless your soul was a stranger's ... or a melange."

(e.g. it's probably not just Alecto in there, there has to be some bit in there that Harrow's body recognizes as Harrow. The dreams of Gideon point to that, too. But the closer that Nona gets to the Tomb and the more that Alecto takes over, the more her body falls apart.)

* Pyrrha: "Well, you're not in a heap on the floor, so we can rule out pneumatic reversion... there was a bad option where your soul snapped straight into her body, leaving your body stuck with no soul at all, and that would have been a poo poo time all around."

(That, plus the bits about them training her with both bones and swords, implies that Pyrrha+Pal+Cam don't actually know if Nona's soul is Harrow or Griddle; they're running on the hypothesis that if Nona's soul is amnesiac Griddle, it would migrate to Griddle's corpse upon touching it. Except that it's not, and besides, Kiriona's already in there.)

Near the end of the book, Nona starts describing herself in a distinct way (emphasis mine on the last one):

* "Nona thought it looked like something out of a picture book, and held onto that thought, that middle-of-the-brain] thought. There was a thought above and below that knew what it was, but the moment she looked at either thought she'd lose the game."

* "Her middle thoughts crawled into her top and bottom thoughts. For a moment she thought she'd die of it. 'There's a box,' she said, 'and ... there's someone in the box who isn't me. I'm me. I don't know who's in that box, not really, only -- when you open it, I'll be gone, because I can't survive... knowing."

* "There she was; John had made her so ugly... but there she was -- and within her the child, asleep, with the strange sword."

When Nona touches Alecto's body, the melange splits back into Harrow and Alecto -- and Harrow's eyes change back from the cloudy gold to black. (The fact that she had the foggy golden eyes is another clue that it's not just Alecto outright.)

e: There is a possibility that Nona is really just Alecto-amnesiac, and Alecto's body is containing the complete Harrow soul. But it seems unlikely, given the dreams and everything else. It also explains Nona's regenerative abilities dropping over time -- initially, she's unconsciously using Alecto as a Lyctoral well, but as Alecto starts coming to the forefront, she stops being ablet o do so.

Remaining mysteries:
* How did Griddle's soul exit Harrow's body between the climax of HtN and the start of NtN, and what caused the change into Kiriona
* How much did Harrow take away of her six months as Nona, either consciously or unconsciously (since part of Harrow is also interacting with Jod in the dream sequences).

There's also still another unfired Chekhov's Gun too - Varun!Deuteros. One of the big early clues that Nona is part-Alecto is that she can not only understand Varun's screaming, but scream back to it. And Varun!Deuteros is still sitting there on the Ninth shuttlepad at the end of NtN.

poo poo's fun, yall!

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 24, 2022

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

ullerrm posted:

* How did Griddle's soul exit Harrow's body between the climax of HtN and the start of NtN, and what caused the change into Kiriona

Did it?

“No, I mean—your stance was good,” Camilla said slowly, as though trying to figure out how to say something. “Good grasp … two-handed.”
“Just like practise,” said Nona. “With the sword.”
Camilla said, “But we practise one-handed.”

Harrow tried very hard to not finish absorbing Gideon's soul, maybe she succeeded to some extent, and some Griddle juice was left in the original container while the other part stuck with Harrow. So Nona isn't a melange of 2 souls, but 3ish.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Hargrimm posted:

Did it?

“No, I mean—your stance was good,” Camilla said slowly, as though trying to figure out how to say something. “Good grasp … two-handed.”
“Just like practise,” said Nona. “With the sword.”
Camilla said, “But we practise one-handed.”

Harrow tried very hard to not finish absorbing Gideon's soul, maybe she succeeded to some extent, and some Griddle juice was left in the original container while the other part stuck with Harrow. So Nona isn't a melange of 2 souls, but 3ish.

See, this and the way Nona is so incredibly thirsty for Every Girl.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I think the 3 souls hypothesis is decent. Remember in the prison where Nona lets loose and murders everyone, destroying her body in the process? 'She heard her own voice saying 'You are killing her, you fool.'' I think thats Harrow talking about Gideon,

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In case anyone was wondering why 7 is called Varun, it's the Hindi name for Neptune. Which is, obv, blue.

Which Beasts are still alive?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Loel posted:

I think the 3 souls hypothesis is decent. Remember in the prison where Nona lets loose and murders everyone, destroying her body in the process? 'She heard her own voice saying 'You are killing her, you fool.'' I think thats Harrow talking about Gideon,

I’m convinced it’s Alecto talking about Nona with her Upper Thoughts. C.F. her reaction when Pyrrha almost says her name while they’re still on the refugee-planet-whose-name-isn’t-coming-to-me

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

sebmojo posted:

In case anyone was wondering why 7 is called Varun, it's the Hindi name for Neptune. Which is, obv, blue.

Ha, I hadn't noticed that. It explains Varun!Deuteros' comment about "eight thousand unjust souls" -- they were just barely setting up colonies on the outer planets when everything went boom.

sebmojo posted:

Early in HtN, John says that there were originally nine, and that they had killed five of them so far (2, 6, and 8).
Later in HtN, the Lyctors reminisce about fighting 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8.

So, assuming all five of those are dead, that leaves 3, 5, 7, and 9 -- Earth (Alecto), Jupiter, Neptune (Varun), and Pluto.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ullerrm posted:

Ha, I hadn't noticed that. It explains Varun!Deuteros' comment about "eight thousand unjust souls" -- they were just barely setting up colonies on the outer planets when everything went boom.

I'm fairly sure that's a meme

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://uglygirlstatus.tumblr.com/p...W73RAAAAA%3D%3D

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm pretty sure it was said that ghosts without a body go mad, which is why they don't recommend hanging around after dying. Alecto for a body straight away so shes mostly fine.

I just want to know wtf is going on in the river.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Probably just a sub level of reality where space is less distinct than our reality, i cam demonstrate for you if you have a pencil and piece of paper.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mild Nona spoilers...

From https://www.tumblr.com/tanoraqui/697210351668838400

Motherfucker.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

gently caress

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kesper North posted:

gently caress

yeah that's very solid

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Some Cytherea and Gideon cosplay . I super dig it

https://www.tumblr.com/traditionanddebts/698963149891796992?source=share

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got anymore of that kiwi sf/fantasy?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Absolute Book is really cool.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Can't comment on Nona yet (I'm on the last leg of it; just got to where Nona drives the megatruck to the Ninth House), but since we're posting cosplay, I just wanted to gripe here that I missed a Gideon cosplayer that was handing out copies of Frontline Titties of the Fifth at the Maryland Renaissance Festival by one god drat day.

Anyway, love these drat books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I saw some locked tomb cosplayers at my rennefaire here as well. No fictional smut though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Decon posted:

Can't comment on Nona yet (I'm on the last leg of it; just got to where Nona drives the megatruck to the Ninth House), but since we're posting cosplay, I just wanted to gripe here that I missed a Gideon cosplayer that was handing out copies of Frontline Titties of the Fifth at the Maryland Renaissance Festival by one god drat day.

Anyway, love these drat books.

That's brilliant :catstare:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Read through the series over the past week. Quite enjoyed it, although somewhat regretting not waiting until the final book released. Then again I feel like this was the gentlest cliffhanger so far so it could be worse. Overall I enjoyed that each book felt fairly different in terms of structure and the primary conceit of its plot, although I felt like the series could also have used a little more continuity in its supporting cast throughout the books in terms of spotlight.

That said, it wasn't too much of an issue for me. Gideon, Harrow and Nona are all engaging in their own ways, SexPal and Camilla are great and show up a lot throughout. And Ianthe is The Best and so it is fitting that she has The Best continuity of all.

Really wondering how the series will wrap it all up in the final book though. Especially in terms of interpersonal relationships, since it feels like there are a lot of big and small conflicts that have built up throughout the cast so far and not a ton of resolution. And then also there's a plot I guess? Probably have to wrap that up as well.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Interpersonal conflicts are plot! They're literally plotting against eachother!

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
I know everyone loves a good self contained story with a beginning a middle and an end, but I really hope she explores the universe a little more in some follow ups. It’s such a vibrant world she’s created there’s a lot of opportunity for self contained stories and to shed some light on other aspects.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Idaholy Roller posted:

I know everyone loves a good self contained story with a beginning a middle and an end, but I really hope she explores the universe a little more in some follow ups. It’s such a vibrant world she’s created there’s a lot of opportunity for self contained stories and to shed some light on other aspects.

I want there to be more lore videos for this series than WH40K itself, yes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

One of my favorite things about Gideon is that it really felt like every single house group there could have had a story told from their viewpoint.

I want to read the Pentiad damnit!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Pentiad is an episode of All In with Chris Hayes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the Third House advice columns are just Joe Rogan

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

the Third House advice columns are just Joe Rogan

The Eighth House Founder is Pat Robertson.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

silvergoose posted:

The Absolute Book is really cool.

Yeah that’s why I’m asking this thread lol. So far both the dawn hounds and the absolute book were good, so I trust this thread for good rews.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Super awesome group just got posted on Reddit. Extra points for :swoon:Babs :swoon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/yp595o/fan_art_gtn_cosplay_group/

No joke their Cam is on point

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 8, 2022

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Venturing into this thread because I'm about 25% of the way into Nona (it's good) and there's a little nagging thing that seems like a plot hole, which means I've either misunderstood something or it's setup for later. If it is a misunderstanding, it'd be good to get it sorted out before things (inevitably) become more confusing

Basically at the end of Harrow there's a rapid-fire sequence of revelations/plot developments:
- Harrow finally goes Lyctor and gets Gideon's golden eyes, as is expected of a Lyctor
- Mercy and Augustine freak out when they see Harrow, because they associate the eyes with AL (who everyone agrees is seriously bad news)
- They realize that it can't be AL, so they conclude correctly that the eyes belong to Harrow's late cavalier, who they know (since they engineered her conception) is the child of Commander Wake and John G
- Since neither John nor Wake have golden eyes in the present (and recessive genes apparently aren't a thing in this universe) they conclude that John must have had golden eyes in the past, and swapped his eyes with AL in the process of becoming (essentially) a super-Lyctor
- But wait, AL is still alive (or at least not dead), which means that John has known all along how to make Lyctors without sacrificing cavaliers. This is the catalyst for the final confrontation.

All of the above only makes sense if Mercy and Augustine are surprised that John used to have golden eyes. Or to put it another way, they must have only ever known John as having creepy black eyes (which were originally AL's). But in Nona, in John's flashbacks to pre-Resurrection Earth, we're explicitly told that his eyes turned gold when he first discovered necromancy, by which point he already knew Augustine and Mercy (ok, they're not mentioned by name but it's blatantly them). So why are they surprised to find out he had gold eyes 10,000 years later? It's entirely possible that it's just down to John being an unreliable narrator (and after all the dream bubble poo poo in Harrow it's pretty clear these are more than just flashbacks) but this seems like a weird detail to change in the retelling. So have I misunderstood something? Or do I just need to keep on reading?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Keep reading. You've misunderstood nothing I can see, but also keep reading.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Keep reading.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They can't remember earth

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Whenever I feel I’ve found a plot hole I look online and realise I’m just an idiot.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Super awesome group just got posted on Reddit. Extra points for :swoon:Babs :swoon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/yp595o/fan_art_gtn_cosplay_group/

No joke their Cam is on point

I don't know if Ianthe getting caught mid-blink was on purpose, but :perfect:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The cosplayers caught the terminal nerd vibe for Palamedes pretty well, too. Really, the only ones I had to stop and think about were Magnus and Abigail, and that's entirely because the cosplayers look so young my first thought was automatically Isaac and Jeannemary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks for the quick answers, I thought "keep reading" was the most likely answer but the last book got so brilliantly convoluted I wanted to make sure I still had the wrong end of the stick.