Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I need wireless headphones and want to land somewhere between cheap crap and $200. I've used $60 brands like Tozo or whatever before and am looking to upgrade in sound quality and feel. The number of options are overwhelming and I can never tell who's an honest reviewer and who's trying to sell me something. Can this thread please help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I destroyed the headband on my Sennheiser 58x in a freak accident. Are there any good options for buying used "for-parts" headphones? It looks like it's the same as the 600-series headbands, but the only somewhat-affordable option I've found is a 3D-printed headband piece.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Proof posted:

I destroyed the headband on my Sennheiser 58x in a freak accident. Are there any good options for buying used "for-parts" headphones? It looks like it's the same as the 600-series headbands, but the only somewhat-affordable option I've found is a 3D-printed headband piece.

The parts should all be fully interchangeable. I can't tell you what to buy or who from but I did all my spare HD600 parts buying direct from Sennheiser. Well except I did substitute a HD650 piece of headband foam when the original HD600 wore out because it was better, however that change was replicated across the whole line by Sennheiser anyway.

lol now that I think about it I still have a slightly dented mesh screen on one side of my HD600 I've never replaced after I got a bit grippy during one earpad replacement. Never will replace it.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 18, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I need wireless headphones and want to land somewhere between cheap crap and $200. I've used $60 brands like Tozo or whatever before and am looking to upgrade in sound quality and feel. The number of options are overwhelming and I can never tell who's an honest reviewer and who's trying to sell me something. Can this thread please help!

Galaxy Buds 2.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea unless you absolutely hate IEMs just get Galaxy Buds2, or Galaxy Buds2 Pro if you're feeling spicy, or Airpods Pro if you're an Apple

most of the wireless space is garbage, but you cannot go wrong with Galaxy Buds or Airpods

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's Bluetooth earpiece that she uses for teaching died a while back. It was a Plantronics one that she doesn't think is sold anymore. So, I consulted The Wirecutter and bought their budget pick. That turned out to be a mistake - it has terrible range and can't last even 6 hours. We recently upgraded to their top pick, but it's fairly uncomfortable for her since she wears glasses. Does anyone have any recommendations for the style with one over-ear piece and a pad that goes on the other side of your head?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Came here to ask for a recommendation the other night after wife complained that the Blons I gave her weren't working correctly anymore (only one side works, she's very careless about headphones, wearing them to bed/wrapped up in blanket on the couch etc). Forgetting that the cable is easily replaced, she just ordered another one.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUDrgWJiWFc

Gishelli JNOG2 DAC made in the ol USA small review. Get one if you have a wallet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hooah posted:

My wife's Bluetooth earpiece that she uses for teaching died a while back. It was a Plantronics one that she doesn't think is sold anymore. So, I consulted The Wirecutter and bought their budget pick. That turned out to be a mistake - it has terrible range and can't last even 6 hours. We recently upgraded to their top pick, but it's fairly uncomfortable for her since she wears glasses. Does anyone have any recommendations for the style with one over-ear piece and a pad that goes on the other side of your head?

Plantronics became Poly after merging with Polycom. Is something like this in your price range?

Poly - Voyager 4310 UC Wireless Headset + Charge Stand (Plantronics) - Single-Ear Headset w/ Mic - Connect to PC/Mac via USB-A Bluetooth Adapter, Cell Phone via Bluetooth -Works with Teams, Zoom &More https://a.co/d/0uDkyg0

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maneki Neko posted:

Plantronics became Poly after merging with Polycom. Is something like this in your price range?

Poly - Voyager 4310 UC Wireless Headset + Charge Stand (Plantronics) - Single-Ear Headset w/ Mic - Connect to PC/Mac via USB-A Bluetooth Adapter, Cell Phone via Bluetooth -Works with Teams, Zoom &More https://a.co/d/0uDkyg0

Noooope. We looked around s bit and ordered a $90 one by Blue Parrot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Question!!

My wife and I need a new headset/mic situation and would love some recommendations.

One of the main use cases will be for the two of us to be in the same Discord voice chat channel and able to both talk without triggering each other's audio. Right now, neither of us have a good setup. Our computer desks are right next to each other and we've been using iPhone earpods. Their sensitivity sucks so any time either of us talk, it picks up the audio of the other person.

What would y'all recommend as a solution?

Basically, we're looking for a headset with mic that we could each buy one of that would be quality enough that it wouldn't pick up the other person talking 4 feet away. Or should we get a couple headsets and a couple standalone mics?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Question!!

My wife and I need a new headset/mic situation and would love some recommendations.

One of the main use cases will be for the two of us to be in the same Discord voice chat channel and able to both talk without triggering each other's audio. Right now, neither of us have a good setup. Our computer desks are right next to each other and we've been using iPhone earpods. Their sensitivity sucks so any time either of us talk, it picks up the audio of the other person.

What would y'all recommend as a solution?

Basically, we're looking for a headset with mic that we could each buy one of that would be quality enough that it wouldn't pick up the other person talking 4 feet away. Or should we get a couple headsets and a couple standalone mics?

You need a headset specific for an office setting, such as a Jabra Evolve or Logitech Zone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Refurbished Sennheiser HD560S sold by Sennheiser through Amazon for $85 once you clip the coupon on the page.

I ordered one because I somehow don't own a Sennheiser open-back headphone, and the light weight of the HD560S might lead me to finally retire my SHP9500 as my comfortable headphone.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sorry to post such a generic tech support query here, but I am having massive problems with Bluetooth interference on my xm4s.

When I'm sat at home, the Bluetooth signal is DREADUL, even when my phone and the headset are inches away from each other. I've tried turning off so much stuff in my house, but it makes no difference. Meanwhile, when I'm travelling through London, through stations, on the underground etc the signal is flawless.

The problem is mitigated somewhat by changing the codec down to AAC from LDAC, but who the gently caress wants to do that when they're listening to music at home?

I'm hoping that someone might have anything other than the usual generic advice for dodgy Bluetooth signals, as it's driving me crazy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Sony release firmware updates for those? I guess that counts as generic advice. Gotta be something interfering with them, or with the phone itself while in the house.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just received a Topping DX3 Pro+ and it is Very Good. Would've been better with a 6,35mm output, perhaps.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Looking for some recommendations for closed headphones in the $200 that aren't DT770 Pro. I really like the fit on them but they don't quite sound as melodic/nice as my ancient pair of DT250s which I would probably use if they were as comfy as the DT770. Had them for a while and keep wanting to listen to the DT250s instead.

Is there anything worth checking in the same price range that is a good side grade?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

paberu posted:

Looking for some recommendations for closed headphones in the $200 that aren't DT770 Pro. I really like the fit on them but they don't quite sound as melodic/nice as my ancient pair of DT250s which I would probably use if they were as comfy as the DT770. Had them for a while and keep wanting to listen to the DT250s instead.

Is there anything worth checking in the same price range that is a good side grade?

Pretty much just the AKG K371. I prefer the new DT 700 Pro X but they're a little above $200 I believe.

Beyond that your best bet for isolation at that price range is IEMs

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

seravid posted:

Just received a Topping DX3 Pro+ and it is Very Good. Would've been better with a 6,35mm output, perhaps.

I'd recommend getting a pigtail adapter, hanging that much weight off a 3.5mm port is bound to cause damage eventually. like this kinda thing:

frankly i don't know why they even sell the barrel kind, it's so unwieldy

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

101 posted:

Pretty much just the AKG K371. I prefer the new DT 700 Pro X but they're a little above $200 I believe.

Beyond that your best bet for isolation at that price range is IEMs

Yep, get the 371s. I recommend getting Shure pads for it though and a headband cushion, I found them horribly uncomfortable without.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd recommend getting a pigtail adapter, hanging that much weight off a 3.5mm port is bound to cause damage eventually. like this kinda thing:

frankly i don't know why they even sell the barrel kind, it's so unwieldy

Oh, that's much better. I'll buy one asap, thanks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ive been eyeballing the Aurorus Borealis as a personal christmas prezzy but it begins to feel more like I should've started picking the present half a year ago. It can only be bought in one location and while I did place myself on the alert list it seems the listing is always sent at the most inconvenient days/times.

Im not awake at 4 am on a sunday! And it sells out within hours/minutes of any stock announcement. :saddowns:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I spent a little time over the weekend adjusting the headband on my LCD2C and they were pretty comfortable before (disclaimer: I have a huge head), but now they're pretty great. They would kinda get out of adjustment after a while but I tightened up all the screws and picked the setting I like for the ear adjustment and tightened those up as well (thankfully still have an old rear end small radio shack screwdriver set in my office that had the right bit) and now they're as comfortable as my 6xx probably.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Xm4 Bluetooth interference update : OK, so it seems the issues are worst when in my office. There's no logical reason for that, other than that my neighbour is on the other side of the wall, and he's an IT geek, so could conceivably have some stupid smart home setup which is interfering with everything here.

Weirdly, so long as I go into a different room in the house and start playing the music there, the signal is absolutely fine when I go in the office. Until I stop playback and recommence, whereupon the signal is poo poo again, unless I'm in a different room. I don't know what the gently caress.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any reasonably priced and decent bluetooth headphones (preferably cans instead of earbuds) that have support for Apple Find My or similar tracking?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
AirPods Max maybe? The pro 2 have an AirTag chip in the case

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

got comply tips for the AirPods Pro 2s and they’re great, buds now stay in my ears.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cicero posted:

Are there any reasonably priced and decent bluetooth headphones (preferably cans instead of earbuds) that have support for Apple Find My or similar tracking?

Some (but not all) of the Beats models support find my. Flex are not cans but are the “reasonably priced” option in that list, I picked up a set for my kid for $40 at some point.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/info/compatible-products/find-my-app

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Regarding Beats, the Beats of today are not the Beats of like ten years ago, they're actually pretty decent these days.

Just sayin' since a lot of people still reflexively drop a "lol Beats" at the mention. Most of them these days also come with a free period of Apple Music which is sort of a post-purchase rebate if you use/will use it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah since Apple started actually making Beats they’re basically bass boosted Airpods.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a pair of Soundpeats Life TWS for review. They are great, 12mm DD, good ANC, BT, battery life. Nice staging. $40 bux. Recommended

Kinera Urd: quite neutral, studio monitor style. Forward mids. Pretty nice.

Penon Serial: overpriced 3x DD set. Not great extension in the treble. $300 too much

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Moondrop just released a new TWS, Alice, which uses the Kato’s driver and has a parametric EQ in the app.

Could be big if the implementation and electronics are good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think its fundamentally flawed by being a TWS over $100 at this point because even if it sounds good, so do the 2 big name rivals and you're all limited by bluetooth anyway.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bad: I just discovered the AirPod Pro 2nd generations I bought off eBay are actually 1st gen earpieces but in a 2nd gen case? I was having trouble getting the volume swipe working and wondering if I was just dumb or if it was a bug an update would fix when I clocked it.

Good: the seller had racked up enough violations Ebay refunded me within about an hour, no return required.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Mate of mine looking a headset recommendation for his PS5. Budget is around £150, he mainly plays Call of Duty competitively but also does Warzone and Fortnite, occasionally Apex Legends. He's crazy good but asked me for a recommendation.

Anything in particular I should suggest?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Just tossing it out there that right now most of the Chinese vendors such as Linsoul and ShenzhenAudio are running their annual 11:11 sales, time to stock up on poo poo you don’t need.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Another great way to waste money: Accessories4less has the Focal Elegia for $399. I'm going to keep my eye on that site for refurb Bathys.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Mate of mine looking a headset recommendation for his PS5. Budget is around £150, he mainly plays Call of Duty competitively but also does Warzone and Fortnite, occasionally Apex Legends. He's crazy good but asked me for a recommendation.

Anything in particular I should suggest?

SteelSeries Arctis Nova 7P

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

qirex posted:

Another great way to waste money: Accessories4less has the Focal Elegia for $399. I'm going to keep my eye on that site for refurb Bathys.

for an exceptionally brief, beautiful moment in time, i was excited to have seen a $400 Elegia on a store that actually ships to canada

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wheeee posted:

for an exceptionally brief, beautiful moment in time, i was excited to have seen a $400 Elegia on a store that actually ships to canada

:rip:

Adorama has the Elegia for sale for $330 and it looks like they ship to Canada?

Shenzhen Audio is price-matching their 11.11 sales on their Amazon storefront. I ended up ordering a Truthear Zero as a gift for a friend this way.

I'll also place a recommendation for the Moondrop Blessing 2 at $270. With the Amazon return policy there's a lot less pressure over figuring out if the B2's wide nozzle works for you. You can also EQ the B2 to the Blessing 2 Dusk, which is a more bass-forward tuning of the B2, and not on sale right now.

The B2/B2D seems like the HD6XX/Sundara of the IEM world, in that you can happily stop here because the tuning is so good, and diminishing returns hit even harder after this point compared to the headphone world. From what I've seen, the Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 seems like the only real major upgrade from the Dusk, but that IEM comes with even more serious fit issues than the B2, and it's $1,000.