Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
War is stated to be weaker because part of it was eaten by Chainsaw.

I doubt Death died in the fight, Control probably did which is why Makima existed on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I imagine since chainsaw man ate every other alternative to death then death must be extremely powerful, since it doesn’t need to share humanity’s fear with those devils

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yuko 100% got Monkey Paw’d into insanity with her contact. No way would a devil give something for nothing like that. “Gave me a shining heart of justice” is a phrase tailor made to twist the meaning of.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is some Kobeni levels of "God is keeping you alive just to gently caress with you"

Now I'm wondering if there's a God Devil

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the price of the justice devil's contract is doubt

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Makima alludes to the other horsemen when she talks to Kishibe, and I specifically calls it “hunger.”

Chainsaw Man universe is a twisted image of our own world. I’d imagine the fear of going hungry is almost certainly quite prevalent.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CharlestonJew posted:

I imagine since chainsaw man ate every other alternative to death then death must be extremely powerful, since it doesn’t need to share humanity’s fear with those devils

I'm still not sure how to feel about that.

At first I was like "Aw, humans could have not died? That sucks Chainsaw Devil, why'd you chomp those guys?!"

And then I thought "Wait, those other options had Devils, which means people were afraid of them, which means they could have been WORSE than death!"

It's a mystery that doesn't need to be solved, but it's fun to think about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also Makima alludes to the other horsemen when she talks to Kishibe, and I specifically calls it “hunger.”

Chainsaw Man universe is a twisted image of our own world. I’d imagine the fear of going hungry is almost certainly quite prevalent.

Fair enough. I think I overstated compared to my intent. There are going to be a lot of people going hungry (especially with the Soviet Union still around) so Famine isn't going to be weak at all (further demonstrated by the powerup this chapter)

It was more that there seem to be a lot of areas where starving isn't considered a relevant fear (like how almost everyone Denji meets treats his past eating habits as something shocking), while it seems like everyone has a reason to be afraid of Control.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm still not sure how to feel about that.

At first I was like "Aw, humans could have not died? That sucks Chainsaw Devil, why'd you chomp those guys?!"

And then I thought "Wait, those other options had Devils, which means people were afraid of them, which means they could have been WORSE than death!"

It's a mystery that doesn't need to be solved, but it's fun to think about.

"Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them."

Besides, death doesn't seem to be the extinction of the soul from what we see with Aki. Meanwhile, some of the other things... well, they're probably pretty bad, judging from what else we know Chainsaw Man ate.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 25, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Yuko 100% got Monkey Paw’d into insanity with her contact. No way would a devil give something for nothing like that. “Gave me a shining heart of justice” is a phrase tailor made to twist the meaning of.

I assume the class president did as well. She probably figured out the teacher's real crush when she read his mind.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Some of them were probably worse than death but a thing being a devil doesn't necessarily mean it's scary, there was a loving chicken devil ffs. Chainsaw Man (not the Denji one) was driven by chaos, he probably didn't just eat bad things, he did kill those he was called to help too, he might've eaten some of them as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he killed the people he helped because he wanted to give them a hug. he wasn’t chaotic, just lonely and stupid

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Brightman posted:

a thing being a devil doesn't necessarily mean it's scary, there was a loving chicken devil ffs.

Chickens can be vicious and will sometimes run around for a while after having their heads chopped off, they're a bit scarier than sea cucumbers and much scarier than tomatoes

what I'm saying is, we haven't seen Bucky's true strength yet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for the reveal of the coffee devil and it being inexplicably strong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brightman posted:

Some of them were probably worse than death but a thing being a devil doesn't necessarily mean it's scary, there was a loving chicken devil ffs. Chainsaw Man (not the Denji one) was driven by chaos, he probably didn't just eat bad things, he did kill those he was called to help too, he might've eaten some of them as well.

That was what Makima thought, but Makima didn't get Chainsaw Man at all. Pochita was really driven by a desire for hugs. (Ironically, this lead to the same "If I help people, they'll love me!" thinking as Makima fell into, but Makima didn't, or couldn't, realize that Pochita had very similar motives to her.)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

chiasaur11 posted:

That was what Makima thought, but Makima didn't get Chainsaw Man at all. Pochita was really driven by a desire for hugs. (Ironically, this lead to the same "If I help people, they'll love me!" thinking as Makima fell into, but Makima didn't, or couldn't, realize that Pochita had very similar motives to her.)

So why'd he kill those he came to help? Unless....

Oxxidation posted:

he killed the people he helped because he wanted to give them a hug. he wasn’t chaotic, just lonely and stupid

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

But if Yoru possessed Tom Hanks in "Cast Away," I think the volleyball would have turned into a powerful weapon.

It seems like my inference of Yoru's powers are correct. Inanimate objects can still produce strong effects so as long as there is a strong emotional connection. Anyway, I wonder who is the older sibling of "War." Is it the Justice Devil that has been referenced twice already? Death? Something older than War.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brightman posted:

So why'd he kill those he came to help? Unless....

Hugs gone wrong, like we see with Makima.

It's a fun bit of foreshadowing there, since if you look closely, you see he was trying to embrace her the first time he killed her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Fair enough. I think I overstated compared to my intent. There are going to be a lot of people going hungry (especially with the Soviet Union still around) so Famine isn't going to be weak at all (further demonstrated by the powerup this chapter)

It was more that there seem to be a lot of areas where starving isn't considered a relevant fear (like how almost everyone Denji meets treats his past eating habits as something shocking), while it seems like everyone has a reason to be afraid of Control.

I still feel like you're underestimating the power and prevalence of hunger.

The fear of not being able to feed yourself is one of the things that keeps the wheels of capitalism spinning even in places where food is plentiful. "If I lose my job I won't be able to get food for myself or my family" exists in the back of the mind of every working adult, that kind of constant low-level anxiety across the entire human population would be an incredible power-up for a being that gains strength from fear.

And you know what else is super scary? When other things are hungry. Things like bears, wolves, or basically anything with a mouth. The fear of being eaten by a hungry monster is one of the earliest things kids are able to conceptualize being afraid of.

If this new girl really is famine and her powers are drawn from all things hunger related then she might be one of the most powerful Devils we've met, which is supported by how on a whim she was able to bring a dying Yuko immediately back to life and then power her up so much she turned into a kaiju.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

farmers are gonna be PISSED if chainsaw man eats hunger

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the latest episode of the anime makes it even more clear that makima is a devil. She always had the cool spiral eye design in the manga, but seeing it in motion + colored she has the same kind of eyes that Power and the other devils have. I wonder how many normies will pick up on it.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The two friends I introduced to the show both asked me if Makima was a devil at the end of episode 2, and both said it was the eyes that gave it away...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

:ms:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol the anime thread is catching on

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Just tell them no, because akane also had weird eyes. And she’ll be introduced soon

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I've been noticing a decent overlap between the anime only viewers that aren't noticing and the ones simping for Makima about as hard as Denji.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My honest feeling is people will just forget they were this suspicious this early. I was super suspicious at first reading the manga and then just forgot because she was nice to my boy.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My honest feeling is people will just forget they were this suspicious this early. I was super suspicious at first reading the manga and then just forgot because she was nice to my boy.

Pretty much.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I think a lot of people early on caught on that she's sinister to some degree but at first think it's just like political power or bureaucracy related, then it's like "what loving contracts does she have?", etc. It takes a bit until we see confirmed humanoid devils so she gets the benefit of the doubt by looking 98% normal for a while.

That said I know like two people who didn't read the manga but said something along the lines of "is she like some sorta control devil/fiend?" after episode 2. I think one said "persuasion" but close enough.

It's kinda interesting hearing people talk about it without them even knowing about contracts since that aspect really opens up a lot of possibilities.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerkface posted:

the latest episode of the anime makes it even more clear that makima is a devil. She always had the cool spiral eye design in the manga, but seeing it in motion + colored she has the same kind of eyes that Power and the other devils have. I wonder how many normies will pick up on it.

Yeah, it's way easier to see when it's animated and fully colored.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The buildup of Makima is just really well handled. She does all her weird grooming stuff with Denji, then the train scene happens and you wonder what the gently caress is going on, then you see the actual aftermath of the train scene and realize something is REALLY off, then you finally see her in action and THAT is even more shocking.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 26, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I do remember thinking she’s a fiend until she orbital strikes the yakuza because of the whole blindfold thing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

i flunked out posted:

The two friends I introduced to the show both asked me if Makima was a devil at the end of episode 2, and both said it was the eyes that gave it away...

It's a lot more obvious in colour when you see her right next to power and they both have like orange eyes with yellow designs so it's more apparent that she doesn't just have weird eyes. She has very specifically coded weird eyes.

Fabricated posted:

The buildup of Makima is just really well handled. She does all her weird grooming stuff with Denji, then the train scene happens and you wonder what the gently caress is going on, then you see the actual aftermath of the train scene and realize something is REALLY off, then you finally see her in action and THAT is even more shocking.

The fact that so many fans of this series don't pick up on something being awkward, uncomfortable and just plan off with Makima until she's looking straight at the camera and talking about her plans is still hilarious to me because the series is not very subtle. It's one of its highlights, I think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The fact that so many fans of this series don't pick up on something being awkward, uncomfortable and just plan off with Makima until she's looking straight at the camera and talking about her plans is still hilarious to me because the series is not very subtle. It's one of its highlights, I think.

Pretty much everyone recognized something was off with Makima from early on. The question was how off, especially since a lot of sketchy mentor figures in shonen turn out to be good people anyway.

As for subtle, I'd say that it's pretty drat subtle when it wants to be. It's famous for the lack of explanation of things and the tendency to just show an answer and move on. If Chainsaw Man is unsubtle, I don't know what you'd call a standard shonen manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Nuebot posted:

It's so incredibly obvious that something is up with Makima that it's probably tempting for a lot of people to loop back around and just assume it's a red herring, because they assume there's no way the author would telegraph it THAT hard.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the makima brain matter halo panel where she’s staring directly at the reader is one of modern manga’s most iconic images

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think making Death super powerful would be kinda boring and expected tbh. People fear death yeah, but the it's painful way of dying (starvation, cancer, drowning, burning) that really get the fear juices going imo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GloomMouse posted:

I think making Death super powerful would be kinda boring and expected tbh. People fear death yeah, but the it's painful way of dying (starvation, cancer, drowning, burning) that really get the fear juices going imo.

Well Darkness is super powerful.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

e nevermind i will just ignore it in adtrw :frogdunce:

Trash Ops fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 26, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Makima feels like there’s something up with her but her talk with Denji about doing naughty things with someone you like does a lot to make her seem more down to earth. You still figure there’s more to her than meets the eye it makes you less suspicious, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

chiasaur11 posted:

Pretty much everyone recognized something was off with Makima from early on. The question was how off, especially since a lot of sketchy mentor figures in shonen turn out to be good people anyway.

As for subtle, I'd say that it's pretty drat subtle when it wants to be. It's famous for the lack of explanation of things and the tendency to just show an answer and move on. If Chainsaw Man is unsubtle, I don't know what you'd call a standard shonen manga.

Yeah, the second paragraph there is one of the things I really liked about it. Also its panel structure makes some events feel so otherworldly and tense, I hope the anime rises to that challenge.