Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

c355n4 posted:

Going to be drywalling a 4'6" x 6" room. Any tips/tricks? I'm most worried about doing the ceiling. Would I be ok with just getting that general purpose premix? I already have the following or will be getting:

- Drywall screw setter
- Assorted lengths of metal drywall knives
- Tape (Was looking at using FibaFuse with gloves)
- Utility knife
- Jab knife
You might look into hiring some mice to help? Luckily your material costs should be very low. May have to just stick it on with liquid nails or something, gonna be hard to use a hammer or screw gun in that small of a space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You might look into hiring some mice to help? Luckily your material costs should be very low. May have to just stick it on with liquid nails or something, gonna be hard to use a hammer or screw gun in that small of a space.

Woops, its a very tiny room for mice.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

c355n4 posted:

Going to be drywalling a 4'6" x 6' room. Any tips/tricks? I'm most worried about doing the ceiling. Would I be ok with just getting that general purpose premix? I already have the following or will be getting:

- Drywall screw setter
- Assorted lengths of metal drywall knives
- Tape (Was looking at using FibaFuse with gloves)
- Utility knife
- Jab knife

A bunch of thoughts:

Looks like you've got main stuff. A tool for cutting out ceiling lights can be nice, but is doable with the jabsaw. A rasp to clean rough edges can help too. Also, a panel lift to bring the lower sheets tight tobthebone above is nice too. None of those are a big deal really especially for a job your size.

Oh and a pan or hawk since you didn't mention it.

You'd want to bed the fibafuse with quickset if going that route. Same for mesh tape.

I'd recommend just doing everything with all purpose light and paper tape, unless you're in a major hurry, in which case i wouldn't be trying to drywall a room for the first time.

The ready mix that comes in boxes usually still needs water and mixing to be workable. A mixing drill can be very helpful here.

You'll need tools to sand. Pole sander for the field and sponges for the corners. Something like 120 on first coat 150 on final.

Yes sand between coats.

Prefill any large gaps/holes with a quickset, where I am durabond in the brown bags is the best you can get for that, but it varies by region (Vancouver carpenter loves confill for this but i can't get that in my region). The smaller bags of sheetrock 45 or whatever would do ok too, better than all purpose for this purpose ,lol.

Coat each side of your inside corners on different days, so you don't ruin one side working on the other.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Jenkl posted:

A bunch of thoughts:

Looks like you've got main stuff. A tool for cutting out ceiling lights can be nice, but is doable with the jabsaw. A rasp to clean rough edges can help too. Also, a panel lift to bring the lower sheets tight tobthebone above is nice too. None of those are a big deal really especially for a job your size.

Oh and a pan or hawk since you didn't mention it.

You'd want to bed the fibafuse with quickset if going that route. Same for mesh tape.

I'd recommend just doing everything with all purpose light and paper tape, unless you're in a major hurry, in which case i wouldn't be trying to drywall a room for the first time.

The ready mix that comes in boxes usually still needs water and mixing to be workable. A mixing drill can be very helpful here.

You'll need tools to sand. Pole sander for the field and sponges for the corners. Something like 120 on first coat 150 on final.

Yes sand between coats.

Prefill any large gaps/holes with a quickset, where I am durabond in the brown bags is the best you can get for that, but it varies by region (Vancouver carpenter loves confill for this but i can't get that in my region). The smaller bags of sheetrock 45 or whatever would do ok too, better than all purpose for this purpose ,lol.

Coat each side of your inside corners on different days, so you don't ruin one side working on the other.

Thanks, yea I'm in no rush. This is going to be a multi-week endeavor of just hanging the drywall before even doing the taping and all the coats.

I think the biggest confusion I have is with all the drywall compounds that exist. I was watching that Vancouver Carpenter but most of the compounds he uses I can't find locally.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

c355n4 posted:

Thanks, yea I'm in no rush. This is going to be a multi-week endeavor of just hanging the drywall before even doing the taping and all the coats.

I think the biggest confusion I have is with all the drywall compounds that exist. I was watching that Vancouver Carpenter but most of the compounds he uses I can't find locally.

Yeah, its definitely annoying. So many types and regional variations.

If you can find all purpose lite use it, it's good enough for all your steps.

More thoughts:

All purpose (regular) is much less common where i am, but I understand it is more popular in the US. It is heavier so harder to use, but has more adhesive in it and dries harder. It is better for taping (bedding) but is tougher to coat and sand.

You can get taping mud and topping mos, which basically are more specialized versions of all purpose. Taping has more adhesives but less sandability, a step past all purpose. Topping has little adhesive but is smooth and easy to sand so great for finishing.

So it's sort of a tradeoff between adhesion, hardness, and sandability.

All purpose lite ticks most of the boxes pretty well, even if it isn't the best at any one job. Hence why i recommend it. Otherwise, you can grab one for taping and one for topping, picking from what is available near you (more adhesive good for taping, more sandability better for topping).

Going all in on one type of mud has the added perk of letting you bed and do coat 1 at the same time.

On top of that, you can get quick setting versions of mud. They chemically dry, and sand worse typically (though there's a range within the product). You should avoid this except for bedding mesh/fiber tapes, and for prefills. This is because quicksets typically have low adhesion but are very hard. Don't tape with this stuff (although VC has some good videos on adding glue to mud, it likely isn't needed for your job and would just complicated poo poo).

There's likely some special optimal combo of muds you could use depending on exactly how much work there is to do, how much taping and prefilling to do, etc. Or you can just get a box of all purpose light and it will be good enough.

Lastly, worry less about the brands and focus on the type, as that is more common across regions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inner Light posted:

:stonk: :stonk:

I'm sorry you are dealing with that. Not fun to find. Regretfully as you may be familiar with, I'm not aware of any home warranty that covers water damage. Here is a sample contract from known horrible company Home Warranty of America, ctrl+f'd "water damage" and they don't cover it: https://www.hwahomewarranty.com/docs/NA_Sample_Coverage_Terms.pdf

But if the plumber is from their network or you are otherwise able to guarantee payment of the plumber's fee via your home warranty, that could cover the cause of it, if it is plumbing related. However, if there is a need to access inside a covered and painted wall, the warranty will not cover any fees related to access or fixing wall damage after a repair. Or I guess that contract ^ says they'll patch it but won't paint it.

I assume you already went through homeowner's / condo insurance also? Or do you think it's under your deductible :-/

Circling back to this. Plumbers came out, had to take three pieces out of the wall, but found the leak and fixed it. He did it with Pex and Shark Bites so...

They also claimed their remediation team will come out and fix the drywall and baseboards that got removed, dry out the area and remove carpet. All covered under the home warranty.
We'll see tomorrow if that's true. I have a feeling it's going to be a "narrator: they didn't..." moment but we'll see.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Did i read that right? Your professional plumber wants to(is) bury(ing) PEX shark bites behind finished drywall?

I'm not sure how well founded the belief is, but as I understand it many would say that's some crazy bullshit what are they thinking?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jenkl posted:

Did i read that right? Your professional plumber wants to(is) bury(ing) PEX shark bites behind finished drywall?

I'm not sure how well founded the belief is, but as I understand it many would say that's some crazy bullshit what are they thinking?

Yeah some of my googling says "it's fine when done correctly" ... so... IANAP though.

edit: just to double check my work, this is PEX with SBs right? That's what I immediately took it for.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

c355n4 posted:

I use Durabond for the initial bedding of mesh tape or paper tape. Particularly Durabond 90 or 210, depending on the job. You get way more working time with the 210. The benefit of the Durabond is resistance to cracking, particularly with mesh tapes. Be sure to clean your tools immediately when done, not just soak them in a pail. There is an easy sand version as well with less aggregate, but as a tape coat your topping coat will cover most of this so you shouldn't have to sand a whole lot.

The next coats are with USG All Purpose, the green lid. I thin it a little for the intermediate coats and then thin it a little more for the finishing coat. You can use this for a taping compound as well.

I've never used (or even seen) topping compound here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The robot vacuum seems to be doing an okay job so I think I'll keep it. It just has to be better than me never sweeping or mopping, so if it can do like 90% and I just have to touch up spots it misses/can't handle then that's a win in my book.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

BonoMan posted:

Yeah some of my googling says "it's fine when done correctly" ... so... IANAP though.

edit: just to double check my work, this is PEX with SBs right? That's what I immediately took it for.

Not a plumber, but that's just lazy. Not inherently wrong. Just lazy. He could have sweat some copper in there just as fast, it's not even hard to access

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Not a plumber, but that's just lazy. Not inherently wrong. Just lazy.

100%

Would not pay for that as anything other than a quick fix, would never put that behind sheetrock.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'll get another plumber to come fix it proper.

Edit: I have a host of other plumbing needs anyway. There's no backing place for the tub spout, elbow/flex tubes under all the sinks and I need to find where that hot water heater saddle tap goes to. They hosed this house up good

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 26, 2022

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

100%

Would not pay for that as anything other than a quick fix, would never put that behind sheetrock.

Would you have a different opinion if he used PEX fittings and crimped clamps instead of sharkbites?

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

The robot vacuum seems to be doing an okay job so I think I'll keep it. It just has to be better than me never sweeping or mopping, so if it can do like 90% and I just have to touch up spots it misses/can't handle then that's a win in my book.

90% is all any of them do in my experience/research. It doesn’t replace manual cleaning but let’s you do it substantially less frequently, especially if you have fluffy pets.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

SkunkDuster posted:

Would you have a different opinion if he used PEX fittings and crimped clamps instead of sharkbites?

100%. Not opposed to mixing copper and PEX, just don't want to bury a fitting that's using an o-ring to stay watertight.

The sharkbites baffle me because they aren't cheap. If I'm a pro I'm definitely crimping a ten cent ring instead of using a $8 fitting.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I think y'all are missing the most important part:

BonoMan posted:

All covered under the home warranty.

That should explain just about everything. I'd put my money on the guy not even being a licensed plumber, but this isn't my realm of expertise so I don't know how good/lovely the work is. If in the days of most trades/professionals still having months-long backlogs and being able to name their price, I wouldn't put much stock in the work of people subsisting on home warranty jobs.

Stop the leak and get the hell out of dodge. Use whatever you have on your truck that gets this done as quick as you can and move on to the next job.

edit:

MrAmazing posted:

90% is all any of them do in my experience/research. It doesn’t replace manual cleaning but let’s you do it substantially less frequently, especially if you have fluffy pets.

We have a dog that sheds a poo poo ton and hardwoods on the lower level. Having a robot vacuum is amazing (edit: though the dog would strongly disagree. He is decidedly not a fan, even though it's entirely his fault).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 26, 2022

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

NomNomNom posted:

100%. Not opposed to mixing copper and PEX, just don't want to bury a fitting that's using an o-ring to stay watertight.

The sharkbites baffle me because they aren't cheap. If I'm a pro I'm definitely crimping a ten cent ring instead of using a $8 fitting.

For me sharkbites are great for quick fix until I can do the real thing, and before I close the wall up if I don't have the needed parts.

Also if you are charging the person for the fitting and then straight time, they may not care how much it is ( not awesome, but there ya go).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DaveSauce posted:

I think y'all are missing the most important part:

That should explain just about everything. I'd put my money on the guy not even being a licensed plumber, but this isn't my realm of expertise so I don't know how good/lovely the work is. If in the days of most trades/professionals still having months-long backlogs and being able to name their price, I wouldn't put much stock in the work of people subsisting on home warranty jobs.

Stop the leak and get the hell out of dodge. Use whatever you have on your truck that gets this done as quick as you can and move on to the next job.

Yeah it's a legit licensed plumbing co. But this did not seem like they were sending out their best guys.

I hate home warranties (and recommend against them in the home buying thread) but we've gotten them on both our houses for the first year from the seller.

Unsurprisingly we had a poor experience with our first one (different state) and never used them again. Just wanted to test this one out since we had it. Womp womp.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 26, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeahhhh home warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Ever. They're better than nothing when the seller provides it, but only marginally.

But one way to look at it is that you got a patch job to buy you time while you search for a real plumber, so as long as they didn't make things worse somehow this is better than paying a real plumber's emergency rates.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

We have a dog that sheds a poo poo ton and hardwoods on the lower level. Having a robot vacuum is amazing (edit: though the dog would strongly disagree. He is decidedly not a fan, even though it's entirely his fault).

We have an elk hound, bred to have sufficient fur for chasing moose in the Norwegian winter. The robot vacuum is a lifesaver.

The dog itself has on multiple occasions chased brown and black bears away from our camp sites in the northern Rockies but runs in terror from the vacuum.😞

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Yes, but that wouldn't be a reasonable scenario. Why would you sweat on two copper to pex adapters and then crimp pex between them when you could just sweat two unions at either ends of a piece of copper pipe you're using to patch it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Do you guys think this is mold on some wood in my basement? If so, should I be concerned?

The PO who owned for two years admitted he didn’t keep up with running the dehumidifier as needed because he’d forget to empty the bucket for days at a time. I’ve resolved that with a pump so it can continuously run without stopping, though it’s currently off since temps are getting cold.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

Yes, but that wouldn't be a reasonable scenario. Why would you sweat on two copper to pex adapters and then crimp pex between them when you could just sweat two unions at either ends of a piece of copper pipe you're using to patch it?

What do you think would be a reasonable time length, with the wall open already and leak identified, to replace that PEX with copper? Yep places so far have quoted 2 hours + materials. Trying to sense of that is fair or not

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

We are talking about this one silly pipe right? 5 minutes for any journeyman+ plumber (or hell a handyman) with a few bucks in parts that are certainly on their truck. But most plumbers are going to try to charge you for their time to bring the truck out, etc.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

BonoMan posted:

What do you think would be a reasonable time length, with the wall open already and leak identified, to replace that PEX with copper? Yep places so far have quoted 2 hours + materials. Trying to sense of that is fair or not

Ya, that's a minimum job fee, doesn't have anything to do with the time involved in performing the work. It's very typical, my company also has a two hour minimum on anything.

'Fair' is more of a philosophical question.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tezer posted:

Ya, that's a minimum job fee, doesn't have anything to do with the time involved in performing the work. It's very typical, my company also has a two hour minimum on anything.

'Fair' is more of a philosophical question.

Yeah this is what my wife and I assumed as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I tried another stainless steel sink deep clean. sprayed a water/vinegar mix on, then baking soda, but there wasn't much fizzing (not nearly as much as last time). cleaned all that up, then used barkeeper's friend as well. I don't noticed any difference. The reason I had done this is because the area under the rubber feet of the grate was shinier than the rest of the sink, so I assumed that the area under the feet was how it's supposed to look. but maybe i'm wrong? In which case maybe I need to use a less diluted vinegar?

kraus site says "Hard Water Solutions & Deep Cleaning

If hard water deposits build up over time, we recommend using vinegar to neutralize the minerals and remove the deposits. Use a soft dishcloth saturated with vinegar to gently rub the sink surface, then rinse with water and towel dry."

I do think I have some hard water, so maybe I just need to do use stronger vinegar. I think the one I used was half water half white vinegar.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 26, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BKF should have taken care of all but the most stubborn hard water stains. It oxalic acid and eats through calcium and lime pretty well. Is it possible the area under the feet is just less scratched up than the rest of the sink and thus looks shinier than the rest of the sink that may be scratched up more? You have a picture?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nwin posted:

Do you guys think this is mold on some wood in my basement? If so, should I be concerned?

The PO who owned for two years admitted he didn’t keep up with running the dehumidifier as needed because he’d forget to empty the bucket for days at a time. I’ve resolved that with a pump so it can continuously run without stopping, though it’s currently off since temps are getting cold.

I can't smell it, but no. Wood can get discolored for all sorts of reasons. Also if anything in that pic is gonna be moldy it'd be the insulation and that looks fine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skipdogg posted:

BKF should have taken care of all but the most stubborn hard water stains. It oxalic acid and eats through calcium and lime pretty well. Is it possible the area under the feet is just less scratched up than the rest of the sink and thus looks shinier than the rest of the sink that may be scratched up more? You have a picture?

yeah you read my mind, i think it's because the scratches dull the surface, so obviously the part under the rubber feet isn't scratched. is there something I could use to buff out the scratches to restore the finish? maybe a metal polish? btw on the kraus site it does mention BKF for dealing with rust stains. it worked fine for the few of those I had in the corners.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nwin posted:

The first pic is just dirt or maybe old mildew from when the lumber was outside at some point. You can see the marks where there were sticks or something that aren't dirty. The second one could be mold but looks more like bluestain or dirt or something to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd think if there were a mold problem you'd see it pretty heavily throughout the insulation too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The first pic is just dirt or maybe old mildew from when the lumber was outside at some point. You can see the marks where there were sticks or something that aren't dirty. The second one could be mold but looks more like bluestain or dirt or something to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll cross that off my list.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

actionjackson posted:

yeah you read my mind, i think it's because the scratches dull the surface, so obviously the part under the rubber feet isn't scratched. is there something I could use to buff out the scratches to restore the finish? maybe a metal polish? btw on the kraus site it does mention BKF for dealing with rust stains. it worked fine for the few of those I had in the corners.

It's the opposite, the are under the rubber feet has been polished smooth. Your stainless sink will have brush marks from the factory (tiny scratches). The rubber feet and the grit that gets under them wears those brush marks away.

Don't worry about it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Do you guys think this is mold on some wood in my basement?

Yes

nwin posted:

If so, should I be concerned?

No

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

It's the opposite, the are under the rubber feet has been polished smooth. Your stainless sink will have brush marks from the factory (tiny scratches). The rubber feet and the grit that gets under them wears those brush marks away.

Don't worry about it.

ah ok that makes sense, thanks. would there be any reason to polish it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, my roof repair took an extra 400 board feet of lumber, apparently.

And they're quoting me $4800 for the additional materials. 2x6 and 1x12, i believe. Does this sound in line with reality? Still doing my research and getting a PDF to scrutinize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

So, my roof repair took an extra 400 board feet of lumber, apparently.

And they're quoting me $4800 for the additional materials. 2x6 and 1x12, i believe. Does this sound in line with reality? Still doing my research and getting a PDF to scrutinize.

Did they repair a poo poo load of rafters or replace older tongue and groove roof decking with 1x12s or what? With 400 feet I imagine you can see where it's being used in the attic.

E: and I feel like that's a lot for the lumber, but I haven't bought long lengths of x6 or x12 in a while

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 27, 2022