Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how long can you keep the chain going? if i get a court order for apple to help me recover someone’s apple id and then i die and name my own legacy contact, can that person recover the apple id again? turn grandpa’s itunes library into an heirloom to pass down throughout generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Well I got my new Studio Display this afternoon, got it set up, and I must say it is definitely a monitor:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Without a doubt it is the monitor Apple have made.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fedule posted:

Without a doubt it is the monitor Apple have made.
Of all the monitors Apple has ever made, that certainly is one of them.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Wow, looks like it displays graphics! In color!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

follow-up, my dad asked about having his apple ID deleted, send them the death certificate and a document naming him as executor, and they said no, he still needed a court order (???) any other options?

(i'm in the US, I suppose I should have mentioned that)

Maybe I missed it but are you even sure it’s iCloud locked? Depending on the year it might not be.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A magic picture box! How do they do? How do magnets even work?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Lincoln posted:

Well I got my new Studio Display this afternoon, got it set up, and I must say it is definitely a monitor:

You fool! Have you considered other monitor that is probably not what you wanted?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Not auto hiding the dock like a HEATHEN.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I like to rock out with my dock out. Hiding is for cowards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

"hello, HR????"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I missed it but are you even sure it’s iCloud locked? Depending on the year it might not be.

Yeah my thought was it would be sort of weird to have find my Mac turned on on an iMac, that’s usually more of a MacBook thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I can share my screen, hold on gimme like 20 seconds

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Lord Bude posted:

Also I will never log off

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Buff Hardback posted:

denying someone's access to their data is just as bad as looking at their data

Hard disagree. If someone with ill intent has access to my computer for long enough to erase and restore it, then it's been stolen and I wasn't getting that data back either way. In that situation, I really don't care what happens to the data as long as they can't see it.

Is it nice that folks are maybe mildly disincentivized from swiping your laptop because it becomes an expensive paperweight if stolen? I guess? This doesn't seem like a well-publicized feature though, so I imagine the first time most folks give it any thought is when they're trying to make use of a loved one's computer. My Mac is the most expensive non-car item I own by a large margin. I'd hate to think it would gather dust if I died unexpectedly because my family never got around to getting an Apple-approved confirmation of my death.

In my particular case, this discussion thankfully introduced me to the legacy contact feature, so I at least was able to get my own situation sorted.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 26, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

The heathen part is having the dock on the bottom rather than the side. You have fewer vertical pixels, they’re more valuable!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TACD posted:

The heathen part is having the dock on the bottom rather than the side. You have fewer vertical pixels, they’re more valuable!

Nobody wants to see your erect dock dude. That’s gross.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Auto-hiding is a crime, just as severe as not putting the dock on the side.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No Dock shaming.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

TACD posted:

When docking a laptop, I found side dock to be problematic. You have to go all the way to the side of the screen or laptop. But a hidden bottom dock is accessible from either screen.
Your point about real estate is totally right which is why hiding is always correct.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I have an apple studio display, I have all the screen real estate I need.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah hiding the dock/vertical dock was a great option when the screen resolution was 1280 x 800 over a decade ago

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I use a vertical dock, auto hidden, on the left side. Since that is what I use I think it's official, please change your settings now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I make my dock extremely big and always visible because the icons are pretty and I like pissing people off.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use magnification just because the effect looks cool

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when the Dock with fluid arbitrary magnification/scaling and antialised transparency first dropped in the Public Beta and it was like we'd been transported through time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Leopard era pseudo-3D dock ftw.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Skip this newfangled macOS dock, login to an X11 session, and run WindowMaker like the original designers intended, you heathens

I guess maybe you can’t login as >console anymore?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm playing a lot of games on my Mac.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I make my dock extremely big and always visible because the icons are pretty and I like pissing people off.

You’re also old as hell brother.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Colonel J posted:

My late-2013 Retina MBP died :(

I changed the battery with an iFixIt kit a few weeks back and it gave it a second life. Yesterday I plugged in a new audio interface I just bought and the screen went black. It's pretty much been a brick since.

The orange charging light works. It briefly goes green when I do the SMC reset thing. It doesn't seem to charge though, it was still orange this morning.

Did anyone ever face this? I'll try replugging the battery, but I'm not sure what I could try. I'm looking at the new MBPs now and they are gorgeous but I just bought a house and am so sick of spending money :(

This post understandably didn't get much traction, but I have an update. The day I posted, I poked around the battery a bit, it didn't work so I left it sitting.

I tried it again tonight and somehow the computer booted (plugged into AC). It came back right away to the browser window it was on when it died and I'm pretty sure I saw the battery indicator saying 97%.

I shut it off, screwed missing screws in, rebooted it and now it's reporting 0% battery capacity. It's as if I didn't have a battery in. I should be able to get a new battery under iFixIt warranty, but now I'm wondering if I should put the old battery back in, there would only be 1 screw and no glue holding it.

It's weird though, it doesn't hold a charge when in OS X but if I shut it down, there's a brief period where the desktop goes black but you can still see the mouse, then I can unplug the AC and it doesn't shut off. Maybe there's another battery that's able to keep it powered? idgi.

edit : Oh I have an actual question. Is it "bad" in a battery-less situation to accidentally unplug the laptop repeatedly? Like if I were to take it in bed and accidentally unplug the magsafe connector shifting around, could I risk breaking the internals or corrupting data? It seems to just come back where it was when I replug it back in.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 27, 2022

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hidden dock items are a pain when you remote into a computer and you want to drag a file onto an app icon to open it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Colonel J posted:

edit : Oh I have an actual question. Is it "bad" in a battery-less situation to accidentally unplug the laptop repeatedly? Like if I were to take it in bed and accidentally unplug the magsafe connector shifting around, could I risk breaking the internals or corrupting data? It seems to just come back where it was when I replug it back in.

Yeah there is a risk of data corruption. It’s not an idea situation to run the laptop in but you gotta do what you gotta do.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Losing power by unplugging MagSafe while you don't have a battery installed risks data loss, but hardware damage is unlikely.

You may find that it runs a lot slower with no battery installed. Most laptop AC bricks are underspecced relative to peak power demands. Just to pull numbers out of a hat for illustration, they might ship an 80W brick with a computer whose average power draw is substantially less than 80W, but the CPU alone might be able to briefly (over time periods on the order of milliseconds) demand as much as 150W. If they designed laptop AC bricks to fully handle these transients, they'd have to be bigger and heavier. Instead, most laptops rely on the battery to supplement AC power during these brief spikes. With the battery removed, the computer might malfunction (once again, no damage risk, just things like instability, data loss, and abrupt shutdown). Apple likes to avoid that, so many MacBook models throttle the CPU a lot when there's no battery or the battery is too worn out to use - keeps the peaks down to what the AC brick can handle by itself.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Losing power by unplugging MagSafe while you don't have a battery installed risks data loss, but hardware damage is unlikely.

You may find that it runs a lot slower with no battery installed. Most laptop AC bricks are underspecced relative to peak power demands. Just to pull numbers out of a hat for illustration, they might ship an 80W brick with a computer whose average power draw is substantially less than 80W, but the CPU alone might be able to briefly (over time periods on the order of milliseconds) demand as much as 150W. If they designed laptop AC bricks to fully handle these transients, they'd have to be bigger and heavier. Instead, most laptops rely on the battery to supplement AC power during these brief spikes. With the battery removed, the computer might malfunction (once again, no damage risk, just things like instability, data loss, and abrupt shutdown). Apple likes to avoid that, so many MacBook models throttle the CPU a lot when there's no battery or the battery is too worn out to use - keeps the peaks down to what the AC brick can handle by itself.

I think you made made understand why I thought the laptop was dead. I usually run it with my SO's 2013 Macbook Air power brick, and without a battery it seems like it's too weak to make my Pro run. Yestarday I tried it with its original charger and that worked, but with my SO's power brick it still doesn't. Looking at Apple's website it seems to 85 vs 45 watts. There was no miracle, it was just underpowered.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Huh... that's interesting. I have a 2012 MacBook Air that has a battery in it that can't hold a charge at all. And yeah, the computer runs like poo poo when starting it up on a power source, but once it's going it can handle basic poo poo just fine like web browsing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Older MacBooks will throttle to 1Ghz if they don’t have the battery installed and are running only off mains power via MagSafe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So the other day I posted this:

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there a reputable piece of software that will allow me to adjust the fan curve on my Mac Studio? The cooling capability is more than adequate for the amount of heat that the M1 Max puts out and yet I’m noticing this annoying behaviour where I’m playing a video game, I have rock solid 60fps; then after about 15 mins it smacks head first into the thermal ceiling, fps tanks down to 10 as it aggressively throttles (all the while the fan is inaudible) and this lasts for about 5 minutes before the computer is finally like *sigh* ‘FINE, I’ll run the fan I guess’ the fan turns up to full blast and my fps goes back to 60 and stays there. Happy to deal with full fan while gaming - it’s actually really loud at full blast but I can just use noise cancelling on my AirPods Max - but I want the drat thing to start the fans up before it has to throttle.

Yesterday on a whim I decided to shut down my Mac studio and take a look at the air intake ring on the bottom. The good news is whatever dust filtering is there seems to work pretty well, however I was shocked to find the entire ring basically was completely clogged with dust which had essentially formed a solid matted mass - I was basically able to peel it away with my fingers. Eve since then my Mac no longer becomes hot to the touch or throttles while playing wow nor do the fans ever need to hit audible levels to maintain those temps in game. So the cooling capability is much better than I thought but a word of warning I guess to other Mac studio owners, that air intake ring clogs fast, I’ll probably check it monthly from now on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Waifu Radia posted:

yeah, my vibe is the demand for mac gaming is so current customers dont have to switch constantly lol

it is also my feeling

yeah, ultimately the value proposition for Mac gaming begins and ends at “it would be nice to have only one computer instead of two” and “I buy a Mac in part because it is pretty and looks pretty in my space, and getting an uglier PC and/or display+console to put next to it kinda defeats that particular purpose” and those are both fine reasons for Apple to take investing in that space more seriously considering they have enough cash on hand to buy like 100 Nintendos

Macs should have feature parity with other competing desktop software ecosystems and they should not be grossly outclassed in their ability to effectively and affordably run/host an entire category of extremely popular software

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Lord Bude posted:

So the other day I posted this:

Yesterday on a whim I decided to shut down my Mac studio and take a look at the air intake ring on the bottom. The good news is whatever dust filtering is there seems to work pretty well, however I was shocked to find the entire ring basically was completely clogged with dust which had essentially formed a solid matted mass - I was basically able to peel it away with my fingers. Eve since then my Mac no longer becomes hot to the touch or throttles while playing wow nor do the fans ever need to hit audible levels to maintain those temps in game. So the cooling capability is much better than I thought but a word of warning I guess to other Mac studio owners, that air intake ring clogs fast, I’ll probably check it monthly from now on.
Yeah I moved house recently and was surprised at the amount of dust that had built up on the bottom of it. Not enough to cause thermal issues like you had but still a noticeable amount.