Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Lord Bude posted:

So the other day I posted this:

Yesterday on a whim I decided to shut down my Mac studio and take a look at the air intake ring on the bottom. The good news is whatever dust filtering is there seems to work pretty well, however I was shocked to find the entire ring basically was completely clogged with dust which had essentially formed a solid matted mass - I was basically able to peel it away with my fingers. Eve since then my Mac no longer becomes hot to the touch or throttles while playing wow nor do the fans ever need to hit audible levels to maintain those temps in game. So the cooling capability is much better than I thought but a word of warning I guess to other Mac studio owners, that air intake ring clogs fast, I’ll probably check it monthly from now on.

You know the Intel iMacs with the narrow edges, the industrial design they ran with from... I think 2014 on? I ran one for several years, then took it apart to change its hard drive for a SSD. While in there I noticed there's this hollow plenum inside the chin. Air enters the chin through big round-rect air intake vents on the bottom edge, and exits the chin to the inside of the computer through a dust screen at the top of the plenum.

The entire volume of the chin was packed full of matted dust just as you describe. The interior of the computer didn't have much at all. So yeah, Apple really has dust screens figured out, they'll magically prevent huge amounts of dust from coating the actual guts of the computer, but you may have some occasional cleaning to do.

(if anyone wants to clean out their thin-edge Intel iMac, you can use a vacuum cleaner's plastic wand extension to suck dust out of those big round-rect holes on the bottom edge of the chin. No need to disassemble anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

The Lord Bude posted:

I like to rock out with my dock out. Hiding is for cowards.

Yeah this monitor does not lack real estate. I'll never hide my dock. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, though I've only been using it for a few days now. I guess everything boils down to:

1) This is the nicest monitor I've ever used
2) I could have spent half the money and purchased a monitor I would have liked about 90% as much
3) That monitor probably would have died after 5 or so years of heavy use, just like the last one
4) This one has worked flawlessly out of the box, and looks great across a number of settings

This was a work-related purchase, so cost-over-time was a factor — a big reason I choose MBPs over PC laptops. The upshot: no buyer's remorse, which I can't say about my last car or home purchase. I think now the only non-Apple piece of hardware on my desk is my USB mouse. Apple, make a decent mouse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Macs should have feature parity with other competing desktop software ecosystems and they should not be grossly outclassed in their ability to effectively and affordably run/host an entire category of extremely popular software

Remember when apple claimed performance parity with 3080ti’s and 3090’s?

Lmao

It’s the megahertz myth all over again

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lincoln posted:

I think now the only non-Apple piece of hardware on my desk is my USB mouse. Apple, make a decent mouse.
I very much get the impression that the Apple Way™ is to use a trackpad, and if you need or prefer to use a mouse then you get about the same amount of consideration as somebody using last-gen hardware.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

TACD posted:

I very much get the impression that the Apple Way™ is to use a trackpad, and if you need or prefer to use a mouse then you get about the same amount of consideration as somebody using last-gen hardware.

I'm not sure what Mac users would really need to use a mouse. In CAD software or other software requiring precise cursor input, mice are not optional. To use those programs with a trackpad greatly craters your productivity. But I don't think anybody really runs that kind of software on Macs.

There's video games too, but that subject has already been covered earlier in this thread.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Apple’s never made a power user mouse, we’ve all been using third party ones since the 68K days if one button wasn’t enough. Anyone who spends all day in Illustrator, PS, or InDesign (a lot of Mac users) just buys whatever mouse they like.

It’s not that I think Apple is incapable of making such a mouse, but their trackpad story is so much nicer and sells better to the vast majority of their modern users. Mouse users (like keyboard users) are really picky.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I use a magic trackpad when I’m not gaming whip out my trusty wireless Logitech gaming mouse when I’m playing a game. I just wish someone would make like a brushed metal mouse with saddle brown leather covering on the surface your hand grips. Like the gear shifter in an expensive car.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I use a magic trackpad when I’m not gaming whip out my trusty wireless Logitech gaming mouse when I’m playing a game. I just wish someone would make like a brushed metal mouse with saddle brown leather covering on the surface your hand grips. Like the gear shifter in an expensive car.

https://www.lunarartefacts.com

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OMG

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It shouldn't surprise me that Vertu for mouse existed but it still did.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

quote:

A CLASSIC TONE WITH A DASH OF HERITAGE.

The Pointer Instrument features full-grain French leather with minimum treatment, finished with equestrian-inspired stitching and an uncoated solid brass base.

The Pointer Instrument is a hand-assembled, hand-polished and hand-stitched computer mouse, tailored to perform for a lifetime, be repaired when necessary, and develop character over time.

Full-grain leather
The Pointer Instrument is stitched from the finest full-grain calf at a prestigious French tannery. Full-grain leather is well known for its perseverance and robustness, but at the same time, in contact with human skin, it allows it to breathe. Over time, it develops scuffs and abrasions, which deepens the colours and elevates the charm.

Looks like it also has an aluminium version if you want a lighter weight as well. And they have matching leather mousepads and Qi charging pads.

Thank you so much for pointing these guys out to me this is what I’ve always dreamed of.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fun little video on this exact mouse for those who care lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-0tLIRnio

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
LTTP but hidden dock with the TinkerTool setting/terminal command to remove the animation is the way

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I never seem to get a response in the monitor thread so I'll try here. I just got a 4k external display for my MBA. Well this is quite an adventure - at first I couldn't see poo poo, so I turned on the display scaling, and I also increased fonts a bit.

so I went to the display settings and selected the middle option, which scales to 2560x1440. I really got this monitor for the size, but figured 4k is so cheap so why not.

anything else you'd recommend I do in terms of adjusting display settings?

this is my monitor https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un550-w-uhd-monitor

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

actionjackson posted:

I never seem to get a response in the monitor thread so I'll try here. I just got a 4k external display for my MBA. Well this is quite an adventure - at first I couldn't see poo poo, so I turned on the display scaling, and I also increased fonts a bit.

so I went to the display settings and selected the middle option, which scales to 2560x1440. I really got this monitor for the size, but figured 4k is so cheap so why not.

It says it supports 90% of the dci-p3 color gamut, which iirc none of the Airs support except for the Apple Silicon versions, so you may want to set the color profile to that for the expanded color gamut.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

It says it supports 90% of the dci-p3 color gamut, which iirc none of the Airs support except for the Apple Silicon versions, so you may want to set the color profile to that for the expanded color gamut.

is that a macOS setting or a monitor setting? I don't see anything about it in the monitor instruction manual

also is it possible to just adjust the text sizes in macOS while keeping the resolution the same?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The way display scaling works on MacOS, if you want maximum crispness you need to pick either the native 4k or the 1080p scaling options.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

actionjackson posted:

is that a macOS setting or a monitor setting? I don't see anything about it in the monitor instruction manual

also is it possible to just adjust the text sizes in macOS while keeping the resolution the same?

You want the ColorSync Utility
https://youtu.be/E_b7ZeAagUI
https://youtu.be/e0-cJ_Y6_14

I haven't really used it myself, I just found it while exploring other settings for my monitor.
It's my understanding that the disc that came with your monitor (or not) has the calibration file for it. Since no one uses cds anymore, you'll probably need the technical page for your monitor on the website or have to search for a custom one.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 30, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

The way display scaling works on MacOS, if you want maximum crispness you need to pick either the native 4k or the 1080p scaling options.

does the 2560x1440 that I'm using count? it has the same aspect ratio (16:9) as the default 4k on this monitor (3840x2160)

Mister Facetious posted:

You want the ColorSync Utility
https://youtu.be/E_b7ZeAagUI
https://youtu.be/e0-cJ_Y6_14

I haven't really used it myself, I just found it while exploring other settings for my monitor.

thank you

I guess when I thought about 4k I didn't really realize that while it's great for movies or w/e, it makes fonts hella small

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

"Looks like 2560x1440" is the sweet spot for macs on 27" 4K monitors, probably works great at 32" as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

does the 2560x1440 that I'm using count? it has the same aspect ratio (16:9) as the default 4k on this monitor (3840x2160)

thank you

I guess when I thought about 4k I didn't really realize that while it's great for movies or w/e, it makes fonts hella small

No it has to be exactly half the native resolution. This is because Mac apps have 2 versions of every graphic, a normal one and one for retina displays where they are drawn with double the pixels. When you select an in between scaling option it does this weird complicated thing to produce it which results in a slight blurriness which some people simply don’t notice and others find intolerable - this is why so many people insist on buying the couple of 5k screens that exist. MacOS really wants you to have either a 2560x1440 screen or a 5k screen in the larger sizes. Macs with built in 4K screens tend to be small enough that you can use the 1080p scaling mode without it looking comically large.

A studio display; or an LG 5k screen, or a 27” iMac has a 27” 5k screen which by default has the screen real estate of 2560x1440 (which is the sweet spot for 27”) with perfect crispness.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

"Looks like 2560x1440" is the sweet spot for macs on 27" 4K monitors, probably works great at 32" as well.

yeah I mean it looks fine to me, I'm hardly a display afficionado though and just do basic computer poo poo, so any tiny differences would never be noticed by me

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That's perfect, zero reason to gently caress with it anymore.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the apple 5k display smaller (27") so that you can actually see all the text without having to squint?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is the apple 5k display smaller (27") so that you can actually see all the text without having to squint?

It’s 27” yes. So it looks perfect at an effective resolution of 2560x1440. (The pixel density and crispness is so good that you can see things more comfortably than on other monitors)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s 27” yes. So it looks perfect at an effective resolution of 2560x1440. (The pixel density and crispness is so good that you can see things more comfortably than on other monitors)

Yeah my second monitor is an LG 1440p and I kind of covet the Mac 5k screen, not enough to pay for it myself. but the difference is pretty huge in pixel density. I tried a 32" 4k version of the same monitor but the scaling kind of I dunno, made things worse, so I returned it for the 1440 (ymmv). I am glad that apple is supporting high hertz monitors - it's nice having 120 - 165 hz across the board.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I have a studio display. I’ll take the extra pixel density and crisp proper scaling over extra frames any day.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a studio display. I’ll take the extra pixel density and crisp proper scaling over extra frames any day.

Yeah so would I if I had the extra $1700 CAD. I don't. Not everyone is you.

e; that sounded harsh, I'm glad you have the nice monitor. For those looking for an alternative, check 1440p displays. They're not as dense PPI wise, but because you don't need to scale non-integer to my eye they look better than 4k depending on size. And they are cheap and have high refresh/HDR capability. Which the 5k doesn't.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 30, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would definitely take a standard 1440p monitor over a 27” 4K I think. Or even like a 24” 4K screen - then you can scale to 1080p and it wouldn’t look comically big.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
nah 4K scaled looks just fine to 99% of people

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i can't imagine being stuck on a low refresh rate monitor these days

my phone, tablet, laptop, gaming desktop + oled monitor all have high refresh rates

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh one other question, my monitor can do 60 Hz, but the apple display settings only show 30 Hz. apparently this is a known issue.

is it because I'm using HDMI (and a mini display port adapter) instead of display port? Or is it actually an issue with MacOS?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/q44e07/can_i_force_60hz_on_external_display/

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/123181/force-external-display-refresh-rate

I tried the show all resolution modes, and it unlocks "59.88 Hz" (wtf) but then things all become a bit blurry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Possibly; or the cable - there are different standards of HDMI cable. Also some monitors are just notoriously screwy with Macs. Windows tries to be accomodating whereas macOS just goes ‘gently caress you, these are the industry standards, I expect you to adhere to them and if you don’t that’s your problem.’

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here is what it looks like in SwitchResX

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Possibly; or the cable - there are different standards of HDMI cable. Also some monitors are just notoriously screwy with Macs. Windows tries to be accomodating whereas macOS just goes ‘gently caress you, these are the industry standards, I expect you to adhere to them and if you don’t that’s your problem.’

ok, i'm using the hdmi cable that came with the monitor. SwitchResX tells me the 59.88 Hz is the "best resolution" but obviously it doesn't work right. Should I try getting a display port to mini display port cable?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

What model of MBA do you have? And are you using a dock of some kind?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 30, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t profess to be an expert on the subject, so maybe wait for some others to chime in, but macOS seems to prefer USB-C for connecting monitors if your monitor has that I would be using that.

I don’t think current macs have a DisplayPort to they?

What model of MBA do you have?

I have an older one. no display port but it does have mini display port. the monitor isn't fancy either, it has hdmi and display port

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html#macspecs1

is 60 Hz something I would even notice just doing basic computer tasks? I would still be in the scaled 1440p.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You might not notice 60 vs 144 but I think you’d notice 60 vs 30. I’d be trying different cables first and also ideally using said cables without adapters where possible to eliminate variables. But also look up the specs for your actual mac to see what it’s gpu and ports are actually designed to support.

Edit: I’m assuming you can only get 30 to work? A lot of monitors 60 means 59.something so if you’re getting 59.something and you’re worried it’s not 60 don’t be.

New edit:

Oooh I think I might know what the problem is - with scaled 1440p; in case you didn’t realise your monitor is still displaying a resolution of 4K; it’s just drawing stuff on screen larger as if it was 2560x1440. You need to make sure the gpu on your mac and the ports are actually capable of displaying 4K at 60hz - I had originally assumed you were using a relatively recent computer and this would be the case but if your mac is very old it might not be.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 30, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

You might not notice 60 vs 144 but I think you’d notice 60 vs 30. I’d be trying different cables first and also ideally using said cables without adapters where possible to eliminate variables. But also look up the specs for your actual mac to see what it’s gpu and ports are actually designed to support.

Edit: I’m assuming you can only get 30 to work? A lot of monitors 60 means 59.something so if you’re getting 59.something and you’re worried it’s not 60 don’t be.

I will probably get a display port to mini display port adapter to see if that works, and also then I dont have to unplug hdmi and plug it into the back of my ps4 everytime, i can just use HDMI for the ps4 at all times

when I do the 59.88 Hz the fonts get a bit blurry, so that's definitely a no-go. Also I'm not sure what HiDPI is but you can see that the 30 Hz I'm using is HiDPI, and the 59.88 Hz is not (maybe that explains the blurriness).

The Lord Bude posted:

Oooh I think I might know what the problem is - with scaled 1440p; in case you didn’t realise your monitor is still displaying a resolution of 4K; it’s just drawing stuff on screen larger as if it was 2560x1440. You need to make sure the gpu on your mac and the ports are actually capable of displaying 4K at 60hz - I had originally assumed you were using a relatively recent computer and this would be the case but if your mac is very old it might not be.

how would I find this information?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I will probably get a display port to mini display port adapter to see if that works, and also then I dont have to unplug hdmi and plug it into the back of my ps4 everytime, i can just use HDMI for the ps4 at all times

when I do the 59.88 Hz the fonts get a bit blurry, so that's definitely a no-go. Also I'm not sure what HiDPI is but you can see that the 30 Hz I'm using is HiDPI, and the 59.88 Hz is not (maybe that explains the blurriness).

See my new edit since you posted. Exactly what model mac do you have? Like the year and all. Apple should have spec sheets for older models or else you can Google reviews from the era.