Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Dressrosa is weird to me, the individual components are all there, like bart doflamingo chinjao fujitora are all good characters, but it just doesn't all fit together. Nobody in the arc actually matters besides sugar and none of the events or characters in the arc connect to sugar's defeat. I'm not a big Wano fan but Tama didn't really have this issue, she has a BS op fruit that wins everything but she's related to everyone.

The reintroduction of Bellamy kicks a lot of rear end too. Your get to see him torn between the two people with t he most influence in his life and t he downside of unshakable loyalty, when most of the story unquestionable loyalty to your crew has been shown as nothing but virtuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I read shonen for manly tears. Not for those gross bellamy tears.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Bellamy is cool and luffys friend

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Wave posted:

Everyone in One Piece makes gross tears, it's kind of a theme.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bellamy is in an absolutely pathetic state in dressrosa, he's more dog than man. When Luffy is furious after knocking him out it's not because he had to hit him, it's due to how disgustingly broken he is. Maybe he's better now but dressBellamy was definitely not cool, and he wasnt supposed to be he was supposed to have his soul destroyed by the arc's villain and even wishes he was dead in the colisseum.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
bellamy was cool because of his maturation and growth and i love his line about not laughing at luffy anymore. he deserved better than doflamingo and i hope hes found inner peace and fulfillment learning crafts from a stern old biddy until he comes back to bounce poo poo apart in the final arc.

oda is really good at bringing back old villains and giving them a new perspective without betraying who they were. crocodiles role in the summit war owned a lot, especially his outburst at whitebeard.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
theyve got the tude now

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everyone in One Piece makes gross tears, it's kind of a theme.

:colbert:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Violen posted:

bellamy was cool because of his maturation and growth and i love his line about not laughing at luffy anymore. he deserved better than doflamingo and i hope hes found inner peace and fulfillment learning crafts from a stern old biddy until he comes back to bounce poo poo apart in the final arc.

oda is really good at bringing back old villains and giving them a new perspective without betraying who they were. crocodiles role in the summit war owned a lot, especially his outburst at whitebeard.

This is why I get so annoyed at people who endlessly complain about the fact that Luffy never kills the bad guys. It's more interesting to me seeing how characters evolve after losing to Luffy than just having a massive bodycount for the sake of a bodycount.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope we see Kaido evolve into a skeleton

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’d say Dressrosa has three fundamental problems. First, it just drags on too long. Second, the presence of Sabo and Fujitora makes the tension feel sort of fake, since they’re both stronger than Doflamingo. Third, the plot revolves around three Devil Fruits (Doflamingo’s, Sugar’s, and Law’s) with bullshit grab-bag powers. The Birdcage gets singled out because it’s at the intersection of all three of those problems: it’s yet another bullshit power of Doflamingo’s, it strains credibility that Fujitora (and Zoro) can’t cut it, and the cutaways to people running away from the strings drag the story out.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

No Wave posted:

Dressrosa is weird to me, the individual components are all there, like bart doflamingo chinjao fujitora are all good characters, but it just doesn't all fit together. Nobody in the arc actually matters besides sugar and none of the events or characters in the arc connect to sugar's defeat. I'm not a big Wano fan but Tama didn't really have this issue, she has a BS op fruit that wins everything but she's related to everyone.

Part of this is probably the fact that Dressrosa was originally supposed to be two separate islands/arcs, that oda decided to condense down into one (the tontatta stuff wasn't an original part of dressrosa), and yeah since oda was setting up the grand fleet, he needed someway to get the readers to care about all of these characters, so he has them interacting together and with the strawhats in fighting doffy's crew whom are mostly inconsequential to the greater plot. Which does lead to bloated pacing. Dressrosa
is as long as the entirety of East Blue.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Last Celebration posted:

Thinking about it Birdcage is pretty lame to me because it just means Doflamingo made a weapon significantly stronger than himself that even an Emperor would be hard pressed to deal with, when you could just come up with something like it rapidly repairing itself by turning the environment into string and cutting it making things worse so you have to push it.

I still assume it was only that strong because he was building it up for like a decade and a “fresh” birdcage would be way weaker

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Part of this is probably the fact that Dressrosa was originally supposed to be two separate islands/arcs, that oda decided to condense down into one (the tontatta stuff wasn't an original part of dressrosa), and yeah since oda was setting up the grand fleet, he needed someway to get the readers to care about all of these characters, so he has them interacting together and with the strawhats in fighting doffy's crew whom are mostly inconsequential to the greater plot. Which does lead to bloated pacing. Dressrosa

Did Wano eclipse it or is Dressrosa still longer?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wano is four years long to Dressrosa's two.

I honestly feel like it would be better to split them and make Onigashima its own arc like Water 7 and Enies Lobby.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Julias posted:

I hadn't heard this and it makes a lot of sense, ty.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drakkel posted:

This is why I get so annoyed at people who endlessly complain about the fact that Luffy never kills the bad guys. It's more interesting to me seeing how characters evolve after losing to Luffy than just having a massive bodycount for the sake of a bodycount.

Also even beyond like the “broken will” thing (which we know isn’t the entirely true because we obviously have a lot of people resurge at this point like Cobra and Lucci) there’s still the understanding that once Luffy kicks someone’s rear end it’s not like he is going to turn around and lose to them again since he keeps on getting so much stronger. Like he just casually deflects Cobra in Marineford and the tone is def “Luffy outclasses this guy”

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Wano eclipse it or is Dressrosa still longer?

Dressrosa was 102 chapters, 118 episodes.

Wano was 149 chapters, the anime is almost at the same number of eps and still has like over a year of content left.

But dressrosa was the last arc Oda started before he started taking his monthly breaks due to a health scare he had in tge middle of it, so he was able to get through it in just over 2 years compared to Wano bring over 4 years long

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i cant believe luffy assassinated cobra

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Wano is four years long to Dressrosa's two.

I honestly feel like it would be better to split them and make Onigashima its own arc like Water 7 and Enies Lobby.

Nah the better option is to combine water 7 and enis Lobby into one arc. Separating them like that is stupid in retrospect.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Guy A. Person posted:

Also even beyond like the “broken will” thing (which we know isn’t the entirely true because we obviously have a lot of people resurge at this point like Cobra and Lucci) there’s still the understanding that once Luffy kicks someone’s rear end it’s not like he is going to turn around and lose to them again since he keeps on getting so much stronger. Like he just casually deflects Cobra in Marineford and the tone is def “Luffy outclasses this guy”

Cobra? Vivi's dad was at Marineford???

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Drakkel posted:

I think the annoyances surrounding death are less on the idea that Luffy doesn't kill someone, and more from the perspective that Oda constantly does "fakeout death --> milk emotional reaction --> haha gotcha they were never dead!"

Kinemon's "death" scene against Kaido is, IMO, one of Oda's best written chapters ever. I LOVE it. I love how immediate it is, how Kaido smashes through the roof looking sincerely monstrous. The fear drawn on Kin and Momo's faces is palpable. And the speed of the action, Kaido doesn't pontificate, he just starts rampaging, and Kin's instinct to throw himself between Kaido and Momo really accentuates a major theme of that chapter (Kin, an adopted father, is far better in the role than Kaido to Yamato). I think it's genuinely beautiful seeing Kinemon's outrageously futile struggle against Kaido, even crawling after him and trying to stab him in the leg to give Momo one more second. The emotions, artwork, action of the scene are all completely top tier.

But it's marred by swapping right over to a gag immediately in the next chapter. Turns out Kinemon didn't really sacrifice anything, Momo got away fine, Kaido looks incompetent and there's no lasting implication to Kin's sacrifice. Does it "ruin" the prior scene? Not quite, I still remember how I felt when I read it the first time. But does it add a little bit of a weird aftertaste? For me, absolutely.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Julias posted:

Nah the better option is to combine water 7 and enis Lobby into one arc. Separating them like that is stupid in retrospect.

agree with this tbh. i view water 7 through them taking off for thriller bark all as one arc. tonally, thematically, it definitely is. its not like enies lobby part introduces any new problems, we just spend some time knocking down the ones established while the crew was in water 7 (and then wrap up the remainder upon return)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Begemot posted:

Cobra? Vivi's dad was at Marineford???

gently caress I am still hungover. Crocodile

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

I think the annoyances surrounding death are less on the idea that Luffy doesn't kill someone, and more from the perspective that Oda constantly does "fakeout death --> milk emotional reaction --> haha gotcha they were never dead!"

Kinemon's "death" scene against Kaido is, IMO, one of Oda's best written chapters ever. I LOVE it. I love how immediate it is, how Kaido smashes through the roof looking sincerely monstrous. The fear drawn on Kin and Momo's faces is palpable. And the speed of the action, Kaido doesn't pontificate, he just starts rampaging, and Kin's instinct to throw himself between Kaido and Momo really accentuates a major theme of that chapter (Kin, an adopted father, is far better in the role than Kaido to Yamato). I think it's genuinely beautiful seeing Kinemon's outrageously futile struggle against Kaido, even crawling after him and trying to stab him in the leg to give Momo one more second. The emotions, artwork, action of the scene are all completely top tier.

But it's marred by swapping right over to a gag immediately in the next chapter. Turns out Kinemon didn't really sacrifice anything, Momo got away fine, Kaido looks incompetent and there's no lasting implication to Kin's sacrifice. Does it "ruin" the prior scene? Not quite, I still remember how I felt when I read it the first time. But does it add a little bit of a weird aftertaste? For me, absolutely.

ok but the kinemon death was the only good fakeout death because it worked on a gag that happened like 600 chapters ago

the rest of them have been dumb

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
what about baron corpse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Takin' a break from Bayonetta 3, gonna do Film Gold.

First impressions 2 minutes in:
1) This is a very, very interesting time in Toei. This film comes out the year before they finally finish their massive studio renovation that took 3 years to do to better equip and staff up for all their workload. This is a year after Tiger Mask W first used their sick rear end line filter that would later help DBS Broly, Dragon Quest Dai's Adventure, and the Wano arc look so good and inky. This movie is basically the end of an era of struggles and i'm going to be really interested in the animation as i see it.
2) :dance:
3) this is the most "wtf are OP women proportions" screen i've ever seen

4)
5) this movie is good and authentic because i see this boat country and can completely imagine all the diagrams Oda would draw a year after we arrive for all the battles taking place

6) Hey ready to roll! :dance:
7) Elon Musk buying twitter like

8) I bet Oda and the staff had a great time researching Las Vegas and making these designs.

9) https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1586113593539366912
10) Man, Akaino has just been having a poo poo time with his promotion, huh? I don't think he's gotten a single dub at any point.
"wait, why are you giving me the nickname red dog?" "you'll see :)" *realizing he's nothing more htan a lapdog to the celestial dragons and the world government even after becoming the fleet admiral* "hey hold on a sec"
11) Surely Carina won't betray them this time.
12) Really appreciating that Luffy and Franky get to be dumbasses together for an extended sequence. They hardly hang out in the new world, and they have a very fun dynamic.
13) lmao that's an excellent brook gag
14) an hour and twelve minutes in and this is just a good movie. It flows very well, it's a good story, animation is pretty great, and yeah, this is a very enjoyable film that's hitting good.
15) Carina oh no carina, how could it be that you, somone who betrayed nami and left her for dead and never made up for it, could betray everyone, who coulda seen that one coming lol
16) WAIT MAX NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOW COULD YOU oh okay he wasn't in on it thank god
17) yeah this movie loving rocks
18) wasn't sure if the big muscle guy was a Hollywood Hogan reference or not, then he used Haki on his face and I knew he was.
19) yeah that was great. the only negative was that timer being ridiculously short at the very end, but it didn't matter too much.
20) So, Strong World is a good one piece movie because it feels like an OP arc though it retreads beats to achieve that. Z is a good one piece movie because it's a wholly original mini arc in movie form. Gold is a good one piece [i]movie]/i], it just nails all teh things you'd want in a one piece story and paces them perfectly for a movie format.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 29, 2022

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I will separate Water 7 and Enies Lobby because it's a different island. Also because I like Water 7 more.

I also like the setup of Wano more than the execution in Onigashima, but I believe Oda doesn't always stick the landing with everything he sets up. Gets very close though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Film Gold rules, and with the pattern of every first One Piece Film absolutely slapping, I'm excited about Red.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Crosspeice posted:

I will separate Water 7 and Enies Lobby because it's a different island.

So is Onigashima, kinda :smug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I got the tude now posted:

The reintroduction of Bellamy kicks a lot of rear end too. Your get to see him torn between the two people with t he most influence in his life and t he downside of unshakable loyalty, when most of the story unquestionable loyalty to your crew has been shown as nothing but virtuous.

He's one of the best parts of Dressrosa tbh.

Cool dude

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Someone write a thesis on the One Piece economy. How does transnational shipping work? What is the main export of Dressrosa pre-everything being destroyed? What is the inflation rate of the berry?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aurubin posted:

Someone write a thesis on the One Piece economy. How does transnational shipping work? What is the main export of Dressrosa pre-everything being destroyed? What is the inflation rate of the berry?

I imagine there are 4 well organized trade networks in each of the Blues, and the wild west of the trade world ends up getting set up in the Grand Line as you attempt to ferry things between the blues. Eternal Poses have to be easy to make or else the world is completely unnavigable. Since all routes would have to go through the Grand Line, and people cant be taking routes that have 1 year log pose reset times while moving goods around, they have to be able to hit up major ports like Alabasta easily while avoiding barren places like Long Ring Long Land

I guess the question is, how do you get the goods out of the Grand Line other than Marine transport ships? Setting up a trade network based on "sail through the calm belt and 25% of your ships get through" isnt really possible either. Since Mary Geoise is the center of power and culture, maybe they just dont care that trade is essentially one way. The grand line gets to be cosmopolitan and everyone else can suck it.

Considering Germa is made up of snails that can traverse the Red Line, they probably would have had more success as a merchant country rather than a science country

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aurubin posted:

Wasn't it stated that Dressrosa was an exotic tourist destination?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

Wasn't it stated that Dressrosa was an exotic tourist destination?

Well their economy is pretty screwed then!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Well their economy is pretty screwed then!

I started laughing by the time Fujitora made the big rubble cloud. Poor Dressrosa doesn’t even have the wreckage of their lives to pick through now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

tbp posted:

Kinemon's "death" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8mJiSVcw

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, now i can see how someone could be disappointed in Stampede even if it does look like DBS Broly. Strong World, Z and Gold all keep getting better and better in all departments, so the fourth movie in that streak having a weak story would hit hard. I'm really glad OP movies are this good, tho, wow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I think the "most of the movie is essentially a single fight against a lightly defined villain" format doesn't really behoove One Piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it turns out the movie makers were drastically underselling the Worst Generation.