Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did we finish this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The pandemic was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to covid-19. But it was a beginning

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The pandemic was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to covid-19. But it was a beginning

*Unfortunately generic fantasy music begins playing, overlaid with the sound of coughing*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did we finish this one?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

:drat:

So I just finished rereading Winter's Heart and not feeling up to facing the slog. What can I skip to and what sort of stuff will I miss?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DarkHorse posted:

So I just finished rereading Winter's Heart and not feeling up to facing the slog. What can I skip to and what sort of stuff will I miss?

Ugh, Crossroads of Twilight was just fundamentally flawed as a concept. I get why he did it. The ending of Winter's Heart was such a huge deal, spend some time showing everyone reacting to that event. But the result is that nothing too major can happen in that book, and you have to keep hitting reset on the clock to go back and show, "And here's what happened over here..." I think I even read Robert Jordan himself say that he kind of regretted structuring the book like that.

Sorry, this isn't helpful. I don't have any answers for you.

Luckily Knife of Dreams was good again.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I skipped Faile and any Shaido chapters on my last reread and it made the slog vanish :shrug:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Crossroads of Twilight is pretty short and has relatively lots of Mat. It's totally fine. :shrug:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hexel posted:

I skipped Faile and any Shaido chapters on my last reread and it made the slog vanish :shrug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

Ugh, Crossroads of Twilight was just fundamentally flawed as a concept. I get why he did it. The ending of Winter's Heart was such a huge deal, spend some time showing everyone reacting to that event. But the result is that nothing too major can happen in that book, and you have to keep hitting reset on the clock to go back and show, "And here's what happened over here..." I think I even read Robert Jordan himself say that he kind of regretted structuring the book like that.

Sorry, this isn't helpful. I don't have any answers for you.

Luckily Knife of Dreams was good again.

The only reaction to the cleansing of Saidin I remember even liking was the rebel Aes Sedai, because it pushed them further towards working with the Asha'man. In fact, the only other reactions I remember were Elayne and Aviendha, the Shaido Wise Ones and the Asha'man with Perrin being shocked at the amount of the One Power being used somewhere far off...and just kind of getting on with their own poo poo. I'm not sure any other storyline used it as direct advancement the way the rebel Aes Sedai story line did. I also found it a bit weird that Logain refused to believe that Rand could have been the one responsible for it.

bio347 posted:

Crossroads of Twilight is pretty short and has relatively lots of Mat. It's totally fine. :shrug:

Isn't Crossroads of Twilight where they do most of their flirting and set up for their actual relationship? Or was that a different book?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Those books are a lot more tolerable when they're not the only thing you get for years.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

This is the key.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Thanks all, I'll try reading and if I start dragging I'll start skipping Faile/Shaido. Wish me luck!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

has faile been cast yet? the easiest way to improve the show would be to just drop that character

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She's, uh, pretty central to Perrin's character

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's no way they're dropping her, and they shouldn't, anyway.

Cut large swathes of stuff, sure, they're doing that to everyone and every plot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I imagine you could probably compress Perrin's plot line around the Shaido and the Prophet pretty heavily. Honestly, you could probably cut the Prophet plot entirely, because all he does is act as a dour stone around the neck of that plot line as is. You'd need to find some other reason for Aram to turn on Perrin, but it feel kind of abrupt and pointless for him to do so as is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Failed hasn't been cast yet or if she has perrins actor doesn't know. That came out at the recent panel they did.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

has faile been cast yet? the easiest way to improve the show would be to just drop that character

They are currently discussing whether, when or how to handle her character in the S3 writers room according to Judkins at the NYCC panel.

The question came up because somebody asked Marcus about his future love interest and he had no idea what they were talking about.

The whole Laila thing will make Faile pretty weird regardless, he's been mopey and dopey about that since episode one so he'll have to have a resolution to that in S2 in order for a love interest in S3 not to be bizarre.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 28, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DarkHorse posted:

Read it all still. Elayne, Perrin, Faile chapters you can skim over probably. The Matt chapters are good.

Colonel Cool posted:

Those books are a lot more tolerable when they're not the only thing you get for years.

this

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She's, uh, pretty central to Perrin's character

You know a character sucks when their entire personality is just "I love my wife"

Take away Faile and wolf powers and Perrin doesn't even exist. Hell leave the wolf powers in and he ignores them

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Drop Perrin along with her because that actor is awful.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

They are currently discussing whether, when or how to handle her character in the S3 writers room according to Judkins at the NYCC panel.

It's not encouraging that they didn't have a plan for a significant secondary character that appears relatively early and often throughout the rest of the books. I'd understand not have a fully mapped out idea for exactly how she should look and act, what changes would need to be made, how she'd intersect with the Perrin and the broader story etc. You'd think they'd have pinned down a vague outline at the least though, because she is central to Perrin's character.

RC Cola posted:

You know a character sucks when their entire personality is just "I love my wife"

Take away Faile and wolf powers and Perrin doesn't even exist. Hell leave the wolf powers in and he ignores them

I mean, that second statement isn't saying much. You're essentially saying "If you take away the things that define a character, the character isn't defined". Which, yeah? If you take away Matt's gambling and past memories he basically doesn't exist at all for at least the first few books. I kind of figured after Faile was taken that Perrin would start to out-grow that mindset though, specifically because he calls attention to it during his POV chapters quite a few times, how he's so obsessed with finding Faile that he's abandoning other duties or what have you. He does eventually confront that after Faile has been rescued, and even puts saving the world above saving Faile during the Last Battle, but it really feels like he should have confronted that issue during Faile's capture.

His chapters during that section of the story would probably be more interesting if he was tormented by the fact he was doing what was right above what he wanted (which is true of Rand, Matt, Egwene and even secondary characters like Elayne, Aviendha etc. a lot of the time as is), and confronting the Prophet head on instead of constantly shoving him aside so that Masema's mindset can infect the camp and ultimately result in Aram's death while Faile would probably be a lot more satisfying as a character in that entire arc if she'd freed herself and her vassals instead of nearly doing it a few times, only to have Perrin ultimately accomplish it in the end.

You'd probably still need to invoke Perrin to explain the destruction of the Shaido as a force entirely, but Faile escaping back to Perrin on her own and providing information that ultimately allows him to complete an assault on the Shaido after the Prophet has been dealt with would probably resolve that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 28, 2022

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

tsob posted:

It's not encouraging that they didn't have a plan for a significant secondary character that appears relatively early and often throughout the rest of the books. I'd understand not have a fully mapped out idea for exactly how she should look and act, what changes would need to be made, how she'd intersect with the Perrin and the broader story etc. You'd think they'd have pinned down a vague outline at the least though, because she is central to Perrin's character.

Just because an actor who hasn't read the books doesn't know a character doesn't mean she hasn't been planned at all. Plus Rafe said her character was being discussed in the season 3 writers room at the time of the convention.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah i should clarify: “whether, when or how” is entirely my language.

Thats just me doubting they can do Faile well in light of the Laila travesty.

Rafe just said she’s a current topic in the writers room.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mage_Boy posted:

Just because an actor who hasn't read the books doesn't know a character doesn't mean she hasn't been planned at all.

I never said anything about the actor, but if the language is not actually indicative then I withdraw my complaint regardless.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tsob posted:

You'd probably still need to invoke Perrin to explain the destruction of the Shaido as a force entirely, but Faile escaping back to Perrin on her own and providing information that ultimately allows him to complete an assault on the Shaido after the Prophet has been dealt with would probably resolve that.

The Shaido as a major force mostly exist for Perrin Bullshit. If you want to make changes to Perrin that take him somewhere else, you could easily just say they're ended as a major power after the Asha'man break them at Dumai's Wells.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Khizan posted:

The Shaido as a major force mostly exist for Perrin Bullshit. If you want to make changes to Perrin that take him somewhere else, you could easily just say they're ended as a major power after the Asha'man break them at Dumai's Wells.

Yeah, Perrin could be in Arad Doman doing clean up there. He could be fighting the Seanchan, he could be fighting the Shaido with Faile by his side. He could be in the borderlands fighting trollocs. Literally any number of things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

silvergoose posted:

There's no way they're dropping her, and they shouldn't, anyway.

Cut large swathes of stuff, sure, they're doing that to everyone and every plot.

I mean, not taking place over the course over a few seasons would help. I couldn't believe how long the Faile kidnapping plot took place in the books. It was something like 3 or 4 books, wasn't it? (Which in real world time translated to literal years waiting for the books to come out.) That was my main problem with it. It felt like it was never going to loving end.

Have it take place over the course of one season, maybe a little into a second, somehow and I think a lot of those problems go away. Though that would obviously take some reworking. But then yeah, as posters said above, you've got Perrin free to do other poo poo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, not taking place over the course over a few seasons would help. I couldn't believe how long the Faile kidnapping plot took place in the books. It was something like 3 or 4 books, wasn't it? (Which in real world time translated to literal years waiting for the books to come out.) That was my main problem with it. It felt like it was never going to loving end.

Have it take place over the course of one season, maybe a little into a second, somehow and I think a lot of those problems go away. Though that would obviously take some reworking. But then yeah, as posters said above, you've got Perrin free to do other poo poo.

Perrin could be doing cool wolf dream stuff and spying on the forces of dark instead of crying about Faile for 2 months while doing nothing accept make friends with Seanchan which Matt is already doing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like Faile I just don’t like how long he drew out the Shaido stuff, which is probably why people don’t like Faile as much cause it took for loving eveeeeeeer. Put Padan Fain with the Shaido then have Perrin go after them, Throw in Slayer for good measure.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I like Faile I just don’t like how long he drew out the Shaido stuff, which is probably why people don’t like Faile as much cause it took for loving eveeeeeeer. Put Padan Fain with the Shaido then have Perrin go after them, Throw in Slayer for good measure.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

thrawn527 posted:

quote:

PoD came out in 1998, and Faile was kidnapped at the end of it. She was a prisoner through WH (2000) and CoT (2003). Rescue came in KoD (2005).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I was right, 3 or 4 books, but basically 3. And 7 real world years. Jesus.

I think that's a big part of why people liked KoD so much. It finally put an end to that poo poo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Any Faile scene is only tolerable if Berelain and her boobs are in it :colbert:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

So I was right, 3 or 4 books, but basically 3. And 7 real world years. Jesus.

I think that's a big part of why people liked KoD so much. It finally put an end to that poo poo.

I remember waiting and posting on the dragon mount forums

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I fell off around Winters heart and because years pass between books you basically become a different person. I’m starting to think book series should last 5 books tops.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Hexel posted:

Any Faile scene is only tolerable if Berelain and her boobs are in it :colbert:

Look, if the show doesn't give us a scene transition from Perrin noticing Berelain's boobs to Faile noticing Sevanna's boobs, what is even the point of this adaptation?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the only interesting thing about perrin is slayer

if slayer was made into someone else's nemesis, perrin could be dropped too

e: give slayer to egwene

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Perrin has a bitchin time saving Edmonds Field and his role in saving Rand from the box, that’s enough for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Right from the first book I like him. His interactions with egwene and elyas are really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Battle for Emonds Field was decent. Most of Perrin's other plots are forgettable. The Slayer poo poo does nothing for me.

I like his buddy cop adventures with Gaul and that's about it :shrug: