Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I feel like you shouldn't ever both with mixing vinegar and baking soda. They neutralize each other, so...what purpose does that serve?

The fizzing isn't strong enough to mechanically remove anything you couldn't remove yourself with a light sponging. And whatever benefits you get from either the baking soda (mildly abrasive, purported* odor elimination) or vinegar (acidic to help remove mineral deposits, also purported odor elimination) are now gone, and you have basically just salty water. It might be mildly basic or mildly acid if your ratio was off, but baking soda and vinegar are already very mildly basic and acidic, respectively.

*Lots of things I've read about baking sodas odor eliminating capabilities basically say it's overrated... it doesn't have the "free carbon" needed to attach to other organic molecules floating around in the fridge to "trap" them and remove odors. I think you'd be better off with a small thing of activated charcoal instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Deviant posted:

So, my roof repair took an extra 400 board feet of lumber, apparently.

And they're quoting me $4800 for the additional materials. 2x6 and 1x12, i believe. Does this sound in line with reality? Still doing my research and getting a PDF to scrutinize.

Not enough information to really tell. What was the repair, is it really just a charge for materials (they gave you a separate bill for labor?), did they not charge you anything for fasteners?, etc.

Dimensional lumber in my experience is quoted per piece or per linear foot. It can be quoted in board feet, but I've never seen it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like you shouldn't ever both with mixing vinegar and baking soda. They neutralize each other, so...what purpose does that serve?

The fizzing isn't strong enough to mechanically remove anything you couldn't remove yourself with a light sponging. And whatever benefits you get from either the baking soda (mildly abrasive, purported* odor elimination) or vinegar (acidic to help remove mineral deposits, also purported odor elimination) are now gone, and you have basically just salty water. It might be mildly basic or mildly acid if your ratio was off, but baking soda and vinegar are already very mildly basic and acidic, respectively.

*Lots of things I've read about baking sodas odor eliminating capabilities basically say it's overrated... it doesn't have the "free carbon" needed to attach to other organic molecules floating around in the fridge to "trap" them and remove odors. I think you'd be better off with a small thing of activated charcoal instead?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but white distilled vinegar is 2.5 (which is hardly mild), and baking soda is 9, so the mix is still somewhat acidic. I have had some success with the fizzing getting really tough stains out pretty easily. Same with stains on porcelain tile.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Deviant posted:

So, my roof repair took an extra 400 board feet of lumber, apparently.

And they're quoting me $4800 for the additional materials. 2x6 and 1x12, i believe. Does this sound in line with reality? Still doing my research and getting a PDF to scrutinize.

If they are charging you $12/ board foot it better be mahogany or walnut or something. If $4800 is the materials the extra labor to remove/replace 400 sq ft of rotten roof, then that's more reasonable.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Yeah, as I recall my roof had an additional labor charge per square foot for any carpentry not in the original quote.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I believe that also includes labor. I'm waiting for the PDF in an email, and naturally haven't signed anything yet.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Your original quote might include the carpentry rate.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
When I had my roof done a couple of years ago there was an allowance for plywood decking replacement and fascia board replacement in the base quote with a rate for replacement of each of those beyond the allowance. $50/sheet of plywood after 10 sheets and $6/linear foot of facia board after 30 feet in my case.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

ah ok that makes sense, thanks. would there be any reason to polish it?

Are you posting from my house? That looks identical to my sink, same polished marks and everything.

It's 100% cosmetic, no reason to do anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just noticed this today on my laminate table... can't get it off. it looks like a highlighter or marker, except I don't even own one of those. Any ideas? I read about baking soda, or those magic erasers. But I'm still totally confused where this could have come from

Only registered members can see post attachments!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

actionjackson posted:

I just noticed this today on my laminate table... can't get it off. it looks like a highlighter or marker, except I don't even own one of those. Any ideas? I read about baking soda, or those magic erasers. But I'm still totally confused where this could have come from

Did you do any cooking with turmeric recently? It's notorious for staining and looks a lot like that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Did you do any cooking with turmeric recently? It's notorious for staining and looks a lot like that.

No, the lentil soup I had last night did have curry powder in it though, which made it more of a dark yellowish color. it also had carrots, zucchini, red pepper and sweet potato

if it is from one of those things, I have no idea why I can't easily just scrub it off.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bleach will likely work. If it's from turmeric you can't scrub it off because it's bonded with the material, staining it. It's not just sitting on top.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

actionjackson posted:

No, the lentil soup I had last night did have curry powder in it though, which made it more of a dark yellowish color.
if it is from one of those things, I have no idea why I can't easily just scrub it off.
Yeah, that'll do it. Curry powder contains turmeric. The reason you can't scrub it off is that it isn't a piece of gunk on the surface; it's a stain that has sunk into the laminate.

Go ahead and try baking soda, or Magic Erasers. You're going to have to grind down the laminate to a clean layer. Stop before you dig holes in it. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, that'll do it. Curry powder contains turmeric. The reason you can't scrub it off is that it isn't a piece of gunk on the surface; it's a stain that has sunk into the laminate.

Go ahead and try baking soda, or Magic Erasers. You're going to have to grind down the laminate to a clean layer. Stop before you dig holes in it. :(

oh man that sucks. i'll give it a try. is there any way to prevent this in the future except for switching to another surface type?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

oh man that sucks. i'll give it a try. is there any way to prevent this in the future except for switching to another surface type?

Install a soup tube and just eat your soup directly from that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would assume that if I had wiped the surface off after eating this would not have happened - it ended up sitting overnight on there

this one shows bleach working at least, hoping for the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM1yRXApIWI

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 28, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Alternatively rub turmeric all over it and enjoy your new yellow table

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Turmeric stains in like 30 seconds, at least on my crappy white counters. I mostly just don't cook with it as a result.

A tablecloth and table pad would keep it off your table. A thick placemat would slow it down.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Yeah, turmeric stain is pretty much instant, don't beat yourself up for the overnight thing. If it's like our cooking vessels and utensils, it will eventually lighten up with repeated cleanings, but I don't know if that's the case for laminate. The brush I use to clean things that don't get dishsoap is has white, plastic bristles, and it eventually came out of those.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Turmeric stains in like 30 seconds, at least on my crappy white counters. I mostly just don't cook with it as a result.

A tablecloth and table pad would keep it off your table. A thick placemat would slow it down.

yes i'm definitely regretting not using my placemat! I was eating pretty late at night, if it was earlier in the day I would have been able to notice it pretty quickly

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you know i use curry powder all the time in cooking, and I don't have a single stain anywhere on my countertops. I wonder if it's because I added a bit of powder directly to my soup, and the powder got on the table and sat there, but with everything else, it was already cooked in to the food so it didn't have as much of an effect.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

you know i use curry powder all the time in cooking, and I don't have a single stain anywhere on my countertops. I wonder if it's because I added a bit of powder directly to my soup, and the powder got on the table and sat there, but with everything else, it was already cooked in to the food so it didn't have as much of an effect.

Yeah almost certainly.

If you like adding stuff at the end like that I think you might be happier with straight garam masala instead of nebulous 'curry powder'. Might just be a fun thing to try.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah almost certainly.

If you like adding stuff at the end like that I think you might be happier with straight garam masala instead of nebulous 'curry powder'. Might just be a fun thing to try.

Garam masala is also a nebulous spice blend, like "chili powder"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Probably has more to do with the makeup of your counters vs. your table. My counters are old '80s white ones, so any strongly colored stuff will stain.

The biggest turmeric culprit at my last place with newer counters was drips from the lid of my rice cooker, so fully cooked. I think it needs liquid to really stain; if it's just powder you have a chance of brushing it off.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Probably has more to do with the makeup of your counters vs. your table. My counters are old '80s white ones, so any strongly colored stuff will stain.

The biggest turmeric culprit at my last place with newer counters was drips from the lid of my rice cooker, so fully cooked. I think it needs liquid to really stain; if it's just powder you have a chance of brushing it off.

well my white table is HPL, the counters are also laminate but it's wilsonart so a completely different company. who knows.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

more falafel please posted:

Garam masala is also a nebulous spice blend, like "chili powder"

I felt that at least Garam Masala has predefined ingredients, maybe I'm wrong there? Always figured the curry powder people get from the supermarket is probably just tumeric, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well bleach did remove the stain, the surface got a bit scuffed but that's only visible when you have direct sunlight hitting it, which isn't too often. not sure if the scuf was from the brush or the bleach

does the bleach actually remove the turmeric, or just whiten it?

I should probably accept that no white table surface is going to stay looking great. it's either this, or something much more expensive like quartz or marble which certainly has it's own issues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I feel like I've seen posting about ordering window blinds online but of course I didn't save the links. Can ya'll post up where you've ordered from before and had good or bad experiences? Need to outfit a house and I'm assuming homedepot isn't the best option for doing so.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

I should probably accept that no white table surface is going to stay looking great.

Welcome to one of the downsides of a minimalist aesthetic and one of the best things about oriental rugs (they hide EVERYTHING)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Welcome to one of the downsides of a minimalist aesthetic and one of the best things about oriental rugs (they hide EVERYTHING)

so i should put an oriental rug on my table?

edit: I think this is true of anything that's white, regardless of your design tastes

edit2: def going to get a tablecloth though for future turmeric encounters

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 29, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The tumeric stains on our white laminate countertops eventually came out over a few weeks of casual cleaning. I wasn't able to directly get them out right away though.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 29, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how porous is laminate anyway? the most nonporous material I can think of is melamine. i'm also curious how porous quartz is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I feel like I've seen posting about ordering window blinds online but of course I didn't save the links. Can ya'll post up where you've ordered from before and had good or bad experiences? Need to outfit a house and I'm assuming homedepot isn't the best option for doing so.
I had a good experience with blindster.com. Be very very careful with your measurements.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

actionjackson posted:

how porous is laminate anyway? the most nonporous material I can think of is melamine. i'm also curious how porous quartz is.

For the "cheap" quartz that people mention... It's pretty porous. Our house has white quartz and if you let dripped coffee stay on there a minute it becomes hard to get out

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Yeah to echo above poster, I have 'engineered quartz' countertops + island top in my kitchen and when I bought this place I treated all those surfaces pretty much right away so I wouldn't have a nightmare situation with stains.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah to echo above poster, I have 'engineered quartz' countertops + island top in my kitchen and when I bought this place I treated all those surfaces pretty much right away so I wouldn't have a nightmare situation with stains.

What do you treat those with?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

What do you treat those with?

It was some purpose built compound that took over 2 days to fully cure and took me almost 3 hours to buff (it's not a big kitchen) with a powered buffer wheel thing, total nightmare if I'm honest. My dad lent it to me after he found out what the counters were made of. I can find out!

The result is the surface is very slightly less slippery and repels liquids quite a lot. I dunno that it's game changing but if it prevents a forever-stain then it's worth it I guess.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Selectblinds.com

Great experience and easy to install.

Never pay full price. They routinely have 35-50% sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gonna quote myself from a ways back:

Sirotan posted:

There's a ton of blinds/shades sellers out there but most of the time they are just reselling Bali or Levolor shades. You'll know for sure based on the color names. These sites are always running "sales" so find the color and style you want then price check the same size shade at about a half dozen places (Blinds.com, Select Blinds, Just Blinds, Lowes, Costco, etc) and find which place has the best price that day.

I have some Bali cellular shades and they are also fine.

Also did some price comparisons a ways back on a particular shade at various sites:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=122&perpage=40&userid=0#post502325702