Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It screams people wanting custom windows without paying for custom windows. Take the big pillar of windows to the right of the entryway. There's zero reason to do that with a stack of what look like the basic windows you can buy at Lowes / HD, other than not wanting to pay for a custom window of the same dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

even the tv console has windows

This is like one of those early AI images but with windows instead of eyes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Look, when you get a good deal on windows you better take full advantage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just noticed that there's two different colors of roof. And no, the bright red roof isn't new, you can see water stains all over it on the second pic.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I just noticed that there's two different colors of roof. And no, the bright red roof isn't new, you can see water stains all over it on the second pic.

It’s definitely intensional. In the background of the second picture there is a similar house with the exact same roofing color difference. It’s probably for the exact same reason there are so many corners on that house. What that reason is, I couldn’t actually tell you. My brain nopes out of that thought process.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
These DIY EV conversions leave a lot to be desired.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least put a GFCI on there

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And it's not even grounded. Tsk.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:eyepop:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

agh I was JUST coming here to post that

edit: oh yeah I also meant to ask y'all: what sort of person should I have come inspect my house to tell me how urgent fixing it really is? My husband is apparently wildly anxious about this and my dad telling him that it's obviously been like this for a long time without disaster isn't sufficient to calm his nerves.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 30, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Computer viking posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: wrong thread. Sorry.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

It screams people wanting custom windows without paying for custom windows. Take the big pillar of windows to the right of the entryway. There's zero reason to do that with a stack of what look like the basic windows you can buy at Lowes / HD, other than not wanting to pay for a custom window of the same dimensions.

You can get just slightly better than the cheapest windows at HD and Lowe’s in custom sizes and I bet it is cheaper than whatever the gently caress is going on there. Unless they got all of these in a batch at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Why would you ground a hover car??? That's like an ambulance leaving a hospital, no such thing happens.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

edit: oh yeah I also meant to ask y'all: what sort of person should I have come inspect my house to tell me how urgent fixing it really is? My husband is apparently wildly anxious about this and my dad telling him that it's obviously been like this for a long time without disaster isn't sufficient to calm his nerves.

The back room falling off the house? Structural engineer

Edit: If you tell the engineer that cracks are actively appearing and getting noticeably wider he's not going to side with your dad

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Assuming you're referring to the bit that is attempting to fall off one side, I think you're looking for a structural engineer. I hired one to double check that the reinforcements done in our basement were up to snuff. $400 well spent for peace of mind.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Do you just google ‘residential structural engineer’ and pick someone with a license? I want someone to check out our basement supports.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stage 1: Initial duplication.
Stage 2: The increasing anomalies remain limited by the original base structure.
Stage 3: Significant structural alterations. Nearby structures begin to take on facets of the host.

error:image not found
Stage 4: [REDACTED]

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ashcans posted:

Do you just google ‘residential structural engineer’ and pick someone with a license? I want someone to check out our basement supports.

Yeah, you’ll eventually find one that does inspections (as opposed to just projects) in your case probably any one would do but for esoteric things - stone foundation, old construction, idk earth houses probably make sure they have experience in that area to get the best evaluation.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ashcans posted:

As with most things, getting (multiple) recommendations from folks you know (including realtors, etc.) is a good start. The guy we used was recommended by our realtor as she had done work with him before but we met with him independently. It also helps that engineers are licensed, whereas not all folks in all trades are.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the mini split above the TV holy shitamoley

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I love mounting equipment that makes water right above expensive electronics.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Edit: It's a hoax, but I'm leaving it up anyway

https://twitter.com/CurtisRemarc/status/1586859544113647616

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Born on a mountain
Raised in a cave
Direct sunlight
I've always craved

Leperflesh posted:

Ran out of shingles, next batch slightly off.

I've toured the GAF plant (when it was in Wayne, NJ) and this shouldn't happen, but red can be difficult.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 31, 2022

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Heaven help me if this doesn't work.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkid8nNFMV1xoyw8p.mp4

Oh good it does. I know we've all seen pics of transparent glass bathroom walls, but seeing it in action really drives home the comedy.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Star Man posted:

Edit: It's a hoax, but I'm leaving it up anyway

https://twitter.com/CurtisRemarc/status/1586859544113647616

I'm assuming it is actually supposed to be for the golf simulator otherwise I'm not sure what the hole is his basement is for.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

value-brand cereal posted:

Oh good it does. I know we've all seen pics of transparent glass bathroom walls, but seeing it in action really drives home the comedy.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

value-brand cereal posted:

Worth watching until the end.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
wtf is up with those tiles

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

By popular demand posted:

A story in three pictures

How could you post this and not include the picture of the kitchen, where you can feel the cigarette tar dripping off the cabinets through the Internet.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Liquid Communism posted:

How could you post this and not include the picture of the kitchen, where you can feel the cigarette tar dripping off the cabinets through the Internet.

I had an apartment with that floor and those cabinets but the stove was so old it had analog buttons to select the temperature of the electric coils.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

koshmar posted:

I'm assuming it is actually supposed to be for the golf simulator otherwise I'm not sure what the hole is his basement is for.

It is for his golf sim. I watched the video and fell for it and didn't take a second to think about it and :justpost:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol, lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just before the pandemic, my office did some renovations in the lobby bathrooms. I almost never use them since they're way on the other side of the building and outside the cafeteria.

Even if they were closer, I would absolutely avoid them because the sink is just so terrible.

Everything...soap, water, and hand dryer, are integrated into this overhang.

Let's go to the video (sound on):
https://imgur.com/BEgbQlG

The soap dispenser is slow and a little anemic... eh, I can deal. Water is fine, maybe a little low flow, but that's fine. But the hand dryer is just SO OVERPOWERED. On top of that, the sink drains slow, so as you can see, it is splashing water EVERYWHERE.

The aftermath:

And the amount of standing water left in the sink after I washed my hands for real:

The water was on for less than 10 seconds.

There's a stack of paper towels on a small shelf nearby because they know that no-one wants to use the dryer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

at first i thought this was one of those situations where somebody got a good deal on a big lot of one size of window. i would have been impressed if that's what it was. but no it's like 6 different sizes of window on there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DrBouvenstein posted:

The soap dispenser is slow and a little anemic... eh, I can deal. Water is fine, maybe a little low flow, but that's fine. But the hand dryer is just SO OVERPOWERED. On top of that, the sink drains slow, so as you can see, it is splashing water EVERYWHERE.

No great loss.

Air hand dryers all blow.

Give me paper towels or give me pants.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Swear to god some air dryers are loud enough to cause hearing damage.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Arrath posted:

Swear to god some air dryers are loud enough to cause hearing damage.

They are https://www.npr.org/2019/07/09/739783918/hand-dryers-harm-childrens-hearing-canadian-study-shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hand dryers are an energy inefficient piss-spraying cancer upon the public bathroom.