Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Guilliman partially agrees with you, he thinks that the Chapters are too small for what they need to do now, but he does not want full Legion size.

Original legions grow to 20k, major chapters like Novamarines grow to 10k, then the likes of the Scythes of the Emperor only need to be a few hundred to manage their subsector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Iron Hands have the right idea. Their clan companies are too busy infighting to have a civil war

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Sharkopath posted:

Heretek magos have created transhuman women who are skilled enough to kill space marines and primaris, and large enough they can wear captured marine battleplate, although they don't call themselves space marines. They don't play a major part but its neat to see.

Are you talking about Fabius Bile's gland-hounds / new men? Those were present in the Fabius Bile trilogy, and they were stated to have augmented physical abilities and instinctive pack tactics that allowed to them to overwhelm Chaos Space marines when attacking as a group. The big thing about them that they were capable of independent reproduction the natural way, instead of having to be made on an individual basis.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Warden posted:

Are you talking about Fabius Bile's gland-hounds / new men? Those were present in the Fabius Bile trilogy, and they were stated to have augmented physical abilities and instinctive pack tactics that allowed to them to overwhelm Chaos Space marines when attacking as a group. The big thing about them that they were capable of independent reproduction the natural way, instead of having to be made on an individual basis.

nah they're talkin about the book that came out 33 hours ago

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warden posted:

Nope, A new process developed by a magos aligned with the Alpha Legion, they don't go into much detail because they're a very small part of the book, but they're apparently capable of killing ultramarines on their own, taking the armor they wear directly from their kills as a point of pride. Later on in the book they defend the flagship of the new alpha legion fleet from primaris boarders while the rest of the legionaries are busy elsewhere, killing about a dozen, although how many of themselves were present and what the odds were isn't given. From the perspective of the legionaries given in the text, they believe they're a bit slower than normal marines because they lack the gifts like the black carapace to interface with their looted armor, and theres a bit of tension between them and the more opinionated marines, but in general they seem to be respected, the alpha legion will take whatever advantage they can get.

As an aside one of the people who went through the process is a character from Mike Brook's earlier short story with the alpha legion, a schola student who was crushed the regular space marines wouldnt take her, but the alpha legion rescued her and several other students. She shows up again in the novel, one of the ones who killed an ultramarine to get her armor.
The magos dismissively waves his hand that sure they aren't capital S Space Marines, but the classic process is only one way to make a transhuman and it doesn't matter what path is taken as long as it gets results, a bit of tongue in cheek commentary from the author I feel, which the book has a good smattering of. It seems like it can be done to humans in their middle age too, or at least its presented as a possibility, later on characters comment that the process does involve a lot of horrible screaming, however.

So yes, canon female space marines. Hope to see more of them if Renegades ends up a series that follows this one crew, I hope it does, because I enjoyed this first book a lot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 30, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
brooks also took another character from another of his books evelyn darke who has a small dealio in rites of passage, so we might get a mike brooks-verse in addition to the abnettverse

actually i guess many of the authors are like that because there's no hardcore editorial oversight

you also wrote more about them than brooks did lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A teensy role, with a lot of possibilities. I assume there was a bunch of back and forth about having them at all from the loremasters.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Calax posted:

Can't help but feel like the writers are pushing to have the Space Marines back as legions rather than an assortment of chapters that are loosely connected. The Unforgiven effectively act like a Legion, the Blood Angels reunited as a Legion to protect Bhaal, the Ultramarines have their primarch back and won't refuse his orders because he's their personal patron Saint.

I get that the company wants to have chapters to allow for home brew crews, but I feel like the Chapter system should be used more as an "assigned to this war and this front" type of thing given how the books portray Space Marine fights.

It's been in the background for a bit- The Fists got in on it too in War of the Beast, and the Feast of Blades acts as an ersatz legion council. I think it's a take on the nature of power in the imperium, and how the space marines are beholden to the letter of the law, not the spirit. It's why the first/second founding chapters are so far beyond the subsequent iterations in prestige and reputation.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
anyhow, the doylist reason theres no female space marines is that the fascism they originally skewered has Definite Ideas About Masculinity and a built-in homoeroticism () that was way more upfront when they called it gene-sperm instead of gene-seed (gene-seed is still pretty homoerotic) so it kinda fits in with the alpha legion theme that they're the least metal and one of the least insane csm

(note: actually the whole supplement that pic came from is worth a read, https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg204.pdf page 14)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 30, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

anyhow, the doylist reason theres no female space marines is that the fascism they originally skewered has Definite Ideas About Masculinity and a built-in homoeroticism that was way more upfront when they called it gene-sperm instead of gene-seed (gene-seed is still pretty homoerotic) so it kinda fits in with the alpha legion theme that they're the least metal csm

I vaguely recall something textual about the emperor having a rigid view that the foremost soldiers must be the physically widest with the biggest shoulders, hence the classic goofy pauldrons. Something about how warfare in the thunder warriors days happened that kept going into the space marine design phase.

A bit like the historical obsession with grenadier units of getting your countries biggest boys to intimidate the other countries big boys.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 30, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sharkopath posted:

I vaguely recall something textual about the emperor having a rigid view that the foremost soldiers must be the physically widest with the biggest shoulders, hence the classic goofy pauldrons. Something about how warfare in the thunder warriors days happened that kept going into the space marine design phase.

other doylist reason is that wargaming is 98% men

watsonian reason is so space marines dont replace normal peeps and because the implantation doesnt work well. thats why biles new men can be female, so they can replace peeps

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

A bit like the historical obsession with grenadier units of getting your countries biggest boys to intimidate the other countries big boys.

Emps as Frederick of Prussia confirmed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aren't Space Wolves basically still a legion or do the Great Companies only have 100 per like normal? (Relatively speaking.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/30/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-prepare-to-claim-the-mortal-realms/

Next Saturday's Black Library pre-orders is Shadowsun: The Patient Hunter by... Phil Kelly ( :geno: ), two different anthologies Only War: Stories from the 41st Millennium and Conquest Unbound: Stories from the Mortal Realms, Paperback release of David Guymer's Kragnos: Avatar of Destruction and Inferno! Presents: The Emperor’s Finest, another story anthology.

As well as a hardback collection of the Sisters of Battle comi- pardon, graphic novel. (:rolleyes: )

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alpha Legion have always been big into enhancing their human auxiliaries, I'm glad that Brooks is running with that.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Aren't Space Wolves basically still a legion or do the Great Companies only have 100 per like normal? (Relatively speaking.)

They use the great companies to get round the rules similar to The Black Templar using their crusades to do the same

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sharkopath posted:

Nope, A new process developed by a magos aligned with the Alpha Legion, they don't go into much detail because they're a very small part of the book, but they're apparently capable of killing ultramarines on their own, taking the armor they wear directly from their kills as a point of pride. Later on in the book they defend the flagship of the new alpha legion fleet from primaris boarders while the rest of the legionaries are busy elsewhere, killing about a dozen, although how many of themselves were present and what the odds were isn't given. From the perspective of the legionaries given in the text, they believe they're a bit slower than normal marines because they lack the gifts like the black carapace to interface with their looted armor, and theres a bit of tension between them and the more opinionated marines, but in general they seem to be respected, the alpha legion will take whatever advantage they can get.

As an aside one of the people who went through the process is a character from Mike Brook's earlier short story with the alpha legion, a schola student who was crushed the regular space marines wouldnt take her, but the alpha legion rescued her and several other students. She shows up again in the novel, one of the ones who killed an ultramarine to get her armor.
The magos dismissively waves his hand that sure they aren't capital S Space Marines, but the classic process is only one way to make a transhuman and it doesn't matter what path is taken as long as it gets results, a bit of tongue in cheek commentary from the author I feel, which the book has a good smattering of. It seems like it can be done to humans in their middle age too, or at least its presented as a possibility, later on characters comment that the process does involve a lot of horrible screaming, however.

So yes, canon female space marines. Hope to see more of them if Renegades ends up a series that follows this one crew, I hope it does, because I enjoyed this first book a lot.

id be genuinly amused if they went with made lady space marines but because the imperium is the imperium, they are all chaos creations. so dark sisters of battle but stronger and more astartes.

other doylist reason is that wargaming is 98% men

watsonian reason is so space marines dont replace normal peeps and because the implantation doesnt work well. thats why biles new men can be female, so they can replace peeps

its also because Big E is a fedora tipper who didnt wanted them all to be dudes, partly

radlum
May 13, 2013
So…Cadia fell recently right? Is that (and the aftermath) developed in any book?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

radlum posted:

So…Cadia fell recently right? Is that (and the aftermath) developed in any book?

Yes, it's the entire current status quo. There's a giant warp rift tearing the galaxy in half and the Eldar got off their asses and helped Cawl revive Guilliman since they're experts in Slaanesh toxins, and now Guilliman is leading a giant crusade of Cawl's primaris marine project to fix the Imperium.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman posted:

Yes, it's the entire current status quo. There's a giant warp rift tearing the galaxy in half and the Eldar got off their asses and helped Cawl revive Guilliman since they're experts in Slaanesh toxins, and now Guilliman is leading a giant crusade of Cawl's primaris marine project to fix the Imperium.

It also spurred the reunification of the Sisters of Silence and the Adeptus Custodes which put the Imperium's best (arguably, maybe?) fighting force back out where it can do more good than watching the Emperor molder on the Throne.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 31, 2022

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

radlum posted:

Depends on which direction you want to look at it in terms of "developed". Guy Haley's Dark Imperium books is half way about what it's like for a Primarch to have come back and be running an empire who's shape he hates, includes bits and pieces that indicate the Emperor is awkening. Watchers of the Throne deals with it from the perspective of the Custodes and Terran higher ups, going from a world that they viewed as "making sense" through a crisis to see a universe split in half. Basically every new book not under the Horus Heresy branding is following the fallout.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

anyhow, the doylist reason theres no female space marines is that the fascism they originally skewered has Definite Ideas About Masculinity and a built-in homoeroticism () that was way more upfront when they called it gene-sperm instead of gene-seed (gene-seed is still pretty homoerotic) so it kinda fits in with the alpha legion theme that they're the least metal and one of the least insane csm

(note: actually the whole supplement that pic came from is worth a read, https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg204.pdf page 14)

See also the initiation rites of the historical Kights Templar

annalingus

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

See also the initiation rites of the historical Kights Templar

annalingus

Tbf their last commander admitted to all sorts of things as the French were tying him to the burning stake so I dunno if it was true

That'd be an interesting scenario for a BL book though, a Space Marine chapter that has basically outlived its usefulness (i.e. the Templars after the last crusaders were driven out of Outremer) and the authorities try to purge them with all kinds of crazy wackadoo slander

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Knights Templar made the worst mistake of all: they got into banking, and kept their money in France.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Tbf their last commander admitted to all sorts of things as the French were tying him to the burning stake so I dunno if it was true

That'd be an interesting scenario for a BL book though, a Space Marine chapter that has basically outlived its usefulness (i.e. the Templars after the last crusaders were driven out of Outremer) and the authorities try to purge them with all kinds of crazy wackadoo slander

Isn't that what is basically going on with the Celestial Lions?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I too would like to see a book of space marines sucking and loving like the knights templar, but has anyone ever cleared up it up whether they actually have genitals? I vaguely remember some sort of assertion that they don't have cocks.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Tom of Finland 40k edition please

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I too would like to see a book of space marines sucking and loving like the knights templar, but has anyone ever cleared up it up whether they actually have genitals? I vaguely remember some sort of assertion that they don't have cocks.

they got cocks but are sterile

i refer you to a reddit post that is your question verbatim

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
they definitely don't have balls

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actually after a less cursory search i can find more than 10 instances of your question so its deffo a perennial question, apparently

militarism and being super fuckin weird about your masculinity, like peanut butter and jelly

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

they definitely don't have balls

Geneseed is stored in the balls.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Geneseed is stored in the balls.

This would actually be hilarious. Apothecaries having to cut their friend's balls off to harvest gene seed. Weird chaos marines obsessed with eating loyalist balls. Power armor with giant ball protection akin to the ridiculously huge pauldrons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What's funny about eating balls?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

D-Pad posted:

This would actually be hilarious. Apothecaries having to cut their friend's balls off to harvest gene seed. Weird chaos marines obsessed with eating loyalist balls. Power armor with giant ball protection akin to the ridiculously huge pauldrons.

Having new balls implanted to make you transhuman.

A Chapter being a long lineage of balls being passed along from warrior to warrior.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sephyr posted:

No, that's because the Lions had the AUDACITY to suggest the Inquisition should maybe back off their extremism just a touch. An inquisitor, or the inquisition as a whole, took offense and has spent far to many resources trying to wipe the chapter out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was literally actually called "gene-sperm" for a while in 1st ed

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Sephyr posted:

No, it was Ork snipers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe Kasrkin would have been better if they'd gone with more Dune influence and given the Kasrkin some Sardaukar flavoring.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm listening to the assassinorum kingmaker audiobook and there's a lot of references to the Conqueror Worm virus. Is that something going on in a different series of books?