Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

People keep bringing up things like that that were supposedly in the first movie and I do not remember ANY of it. It's like the whole world collectively imagined this movie/franchise into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Avatar does feel like a franchise that was made up to be a joke in the background of another movie. It's baffling to me that this is Cameron's big late career passion project. I wish I could gin up some enthusiasm because Cameron is one of the best action directors ever, but I remember the hollow experience of watching the first one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ehud posted:

I really love James Cameron's earlier career, but I did not connect with Avatar at all. That trailer makes me feel absolutely nothing. It's like watching a trailer for a ride at a theme park.

But hey, not every movie is for everyone. Hopefully Avatar fans love it.

Yeah this is me too. I love James Cameron to death. But Avatar never did anything for me and this looks even worse. At least from this teaser... it's just so melodramatic and corny but not in a fun way. The CG looks great (except I feel like the Avatars themselves are now the low point that take me out of it... the environments look amazing).

Story wise it just looks boring.

Also I briefly got a big Avatar: Moana Edition feeling from it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cameron had free reign to create a completely alien world and populated it with indigenous peoples analogues, horse analogues, flying horse analogues, panther and rhino analogues etc. I barely consider it a sci fi movie because the colonialism metaphor is laid on so thick. Hopefully the sequels give him more freedom to do something else?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Also I briefly got a big Avatar: Moana Edition feeling from it

James Cameron making a live action Moana with The Rock and this tech would be so sick.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I want to say that Avatar Two looks derivative, uninspired, unremarkable.

But gently caress, it's not based on a loving comic book, it's about killing Americans, and the first one made literally billions of dollars. You do gotta hand it to him.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiohkY_XQYQ

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZILRPjsaew

I had no idea all of the child actors from the original were still acting (and alive) and the fact that they got them all back for this sequel is kinda cool.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 2, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kaiju troll movie - I can dig it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d just rather watch troll hunter

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yes!

More troll movies please.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yes!

Nah.

As much of a sucker as I am for Christmas movies, I never really clicked with A Christmas Story. I can't even tell you why, I just...meh.

Also, that's an objectively terrible title.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Always appreciate a great cover of "In the Hall of the Mountain King."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ruddiger posted:

Yes!

More troll movies please.

I'll just wait for Troll 2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ehud posted:

I really love James Cameron's earlier career, but I did not connect with Avatar at all. That trailer makes me feel absolutely nothing. It's like watching a trailer for a ride at a theme park.

But hey, not every movie is for everyone. Hopefully Avatar fans love it.

this

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He has made 2.5 good movies in the last 30 years

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Don't leave me hanging what's the 2.5 films?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

He has made 2.5 good movies in the last 30 years

You sure it's not 40?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A Christmas Story is one of my least favorite movies. Congrats to the actors getting work though!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AceOfFlames posted:

You sure it's not 40?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Baby Driver is simultaneously the best and worst Edgar Wright movie

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

precision posted:

Baby Driver is simultaneously the best and worst Edgar Wright movie

I haven't seen The Sparks Brothers or Last Night in Soho yet, but the only movie of his I really love is Scott Pilgrim. Besides that, I think the only movie of his I've been compelled to watch more than once is Hot Fuzz. I thought Baby Driver was fine and a fun watch, but I don't think I'd ever say it's a must watch or anything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watched Tokyo Vice all the way through.

It’s really loving good but Ansel Elgort and also he fucks a lot in it it’s like they are just leaning into it or something

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

kiimo posted:

Watched Tokyo Vice all the way through.

It’s really loving good but Ansel Elgort and also he fucks a lot in it it’s like they are just leaning into it or something

Yeah, watched it with my wife when it first came out and really liked it. Glad it got renewed.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Christmas Story is grotesque and absolutely feels like it's coming from the same kinda dude who made Black Christmas. I don't get the appeal at all.

Black Christmas rips, though.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 3, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

caligulamprey posted:

Christmas Story is grotesque and absolutely feels like it's coming from the same kinda dude who made Black Christmas. I don't get the appeal at all.

A Christmas Story creeps me out and I cannot relate to that hosed up nightmare of a movie.

Do not understand the appeal either.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A Christmas Story is my Christmas comfort movie. I don't think it's good or bad, I just have a lot of nostalgia for it. As a middle-class Jewish kid in a not-Jewish area, I didn't have a lot to do before the Chinese buffet dinner except play computer games all day and the 24-hour marathon on TNT was excellent background noise.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cameron's movies don't generally have the most groundbreaking premises, but the execution of each scene is what makes his stuff magic. I'm very much looking forward to 3 more hours of Cameron.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the one hand James Cameron is a megalomaniac rear end in a top hat on set who is hard to work with but on the other hand it prevents all the extra voices from loving up scenes. Good directors know that too many cooks in the kitchen creates a bad product

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

caligulamprey posted:

It's so good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Christmas Story is grotesque but growing up in the US north east rust belt it was alarming accurate to Christmas in that region even into the early 2000s. The people there are just like that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The rust belt is home to the country's grouchiest people for sure. It's not for the timid.

Haven't any of you seen the 1993 historical documentary Airborne

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Re: the new Christmas Story, the original is based on a guy's books and it basically pulled all his best vignettes and put them in the movie. In a sense it's similar to a Marvel movie in that they had this big pool of literature and already knew people's favorites so that's what they went with. This new one does not appear to be similar in any way; it's an original script. Maybe they'll beat the odds and actually make something worthwhile but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also I guess I'll go to bat for Christmas Story. It's not the greatest movie and I can't imagine watching that marathon of it they do on AMC or whatever but both the parents are well-cast and acted and I absolutely adore the scene where The Old Man is trying to put the stupid-rear end leg lamp back together and the mom is very obviously breaking for real.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Christmas Story is definitely a nostalgia machine for people. The movie itself for folks that grew up watching it or people that related to the actual content. It's got its charm.

But this new thing seems completely devoid of all of that. Just stupid wink wink nudge nudges to the original jokes that aren't funny at all out of their original movie.

This is like Dumb and Dumber 2.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Christmas Story is a good insight into the lifestyle of a Packers fan.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BonoMan posted:

Christmas Story is definitely a nostalgia machine for people. The movie itself for folks that grew up watching it or people that related to the actual content. It's got its charm.

But this new thing seems completely devoid of all of that. Just stupid wink wink nudge nudges to the original jokes that aren't funny at all out of their original movie.

This is like Dumb and Dumber 2.
Yeah, the appeal of the original was that it wasn't afraid to be weird or scary at times and the dramatic stakes of a lot of scenes were filtered through "kid logic." Ralphie getting a bad grade on his paper or trying to get home without running into Scut Farkus was life or death to him. Or the dread from thinking his father was going to go apeshit when he came back from the fight or when he said "oh fudge (but it wasn't fudge)." It felt real. Somewhat Calvin & Hobbes vibes.
This just looks like any disposable middle America-pandering white bread boring-rear end Hallmark Channel movie. Talk about a groan when Ralphie says like "don't let Santa kick your face" or whatever. Just lame wink-wink to the audience.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Christmas Story is a good insight into the lifestyle of a Packers fan.

Are they in Green Bay? I always had it in my head that they were in Indiana but now I think about it I have zero reason to believe that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Are they in Green Bay? I always had it in my head that they were in Indiana but now I think about it I have zero reason to believe that.

They are indeed in Indiana.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They’re in Indiana but the dad is a cheesehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
You think the dad jerked off to that lamp