Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When will the next english dubbed episode be released? I noticed the english dub stops after episode 15, but Japan is up to episode 17 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I said come in! posted:

When will the next english dubbed episode be released? I noticed the english dub stops after episode 15, but Japan is up to episode 17 now.

It's on a two week delay, so Dub ep 16 will be released at the same-ish time Japanese ep 18 releases.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's on a two week delay, so Dub ep 16 will be released at the same-ish time Japanese ep 18 releases.

I need more, this show is so good. Watched everything yesterday, and bought the first volume of the manga.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I said come in! posted:

I need more, this show is so good. Watched everything yesterday.

Read the manga! It's all on the Viz website/app

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Read the manga!

Meant to also mention that I bought the first volume right after finishing all of the episodes!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actually my first manga i've ever bought too. I rarely ever consume any anime, its been years since I last watched anything, but this is so addictive, accessible, and the story is great. I love the characters, especially Anya.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I said come in! posted:

Meant to also mention that I bought the first volume right after finishing all of the episodes!

Viz's digital membership is almost criminally cheap, at $2 a month for a fuckton of different manga in their entirety. Or at least, up to present on contemporary ones. You can read the manga up to present on the site if you buy a membership. Or even start a trial.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Anya is one of the greatest child characters every created

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Anya is one of the greatest child characters every created

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The best character's legend has begun.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

*tactical rolls out of the room*

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best character's legend has begun.

But no one will ever know!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't like Yor's brother. Get him out of here.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

It can't be helped

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Anya poor poor Anya. One day you'll be the smartest.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sankara posted:

I don't like Yor's brother. Get him out of here.

I like him when he's not obsessing over Yor. Which isn't very often granted, but I liked him thinking of Anya as a little gremlin and then getting serious about helping her study this episode for instance. Which, yeah, predicated on his love for Yor, but still fun once he got into it. Him shouting about how good Yor's food is while puking is a fun gag too.

Annointed posted:

Anya poor poor Anya. One day you'll be the smartest.

She's the smartest around...when there's somebody smart around to copy.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

tsob posted:

She's the smartest around...when there's somebody smart around to copy.

By definition doesn't that make her only as smart as the smartest around?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Amstrad posted:

Except on a new moon. And only if she understands what the smartest person is thinking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

She has her own baseline intelligence which is enough for a girl her age, just not really good enough for a girl enrolled at a prestigious school.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Amstrad posted:

anya is smarter, because she knows everything the smartest person knows AND everything anya knows.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

She has her own baseline intelligence which is enough for a girl her age, just not really good enough for a girl enrolled at a prestigious school.

She's also probably at least year younger than her peers, which is a pretty big deal at that age.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah Anya lied about her age definitely, and that's at least a year of cognitive development behind her peers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the bright side is that frantically trying to compete with people one year older than you is a highly-effective-if-brutally-difficult way to learn

that's thought to be why top professional athletes have a disproportionately large number of older siblings - Larry Jordan made it to collegiate basketball, his little brother spent his entire childhood trying to keep up, and made it to all-time great

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tunicate posted:

the bright side is that frantically trying to compete with people one year older than you is a highly-effective-if-brutally-difficult way to learn

that's thought to be why top professional athletes have a disproportionately large number of older siblings - Larry Jordan made it to collegiate basketball, his little brother spent his entire childhood trying to keep up, and made it to all-time great

I would assume there's some selection bias there, in that you really only hear about the cases where younger siblings successfully out-do their older siblings, but that there's probably a pretty high rate of burn out for younger siblings trying to out-do older siblings and just not being able to keep it up long term, eventually transitioning to other things if not just collapsing emotionally and mentally from the effort in worst case scenarios.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do think it is a victory that Anya managed to not completely fail her midterms without her mind reading crutch and is a genuine sign of growth

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unlucky7 posted:

I do think it is a victory that Anya managed to not completely fail her midterms without her mind reading crutch and is a genuine sign of growth

Sure, even Loid acknowledges that it's a good sign. He's just pretty exhausted from the stress, and knows it has to keep going further.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tsob posted:

I would assume there's some selection bias there, in that you really only hear about the cases where younger siblings successfully out-do their older siblings, but that there's probably a pretty high rate of burn out for younger siblings trying to out-do older siblings and just not being able to keep it up long term, eventually transitioning to other things if not just collapsing emotionally and mentally from the effort in worst case scenarios.

they looked into that too by looking at younger vs elder siblings in families that had an elite athlete. If you're younger than your star sibling, you tend to do more competitive sports and get to a higher level of sport achievement than if you're older than your star sibling.

so a hypothetical Bob Jordan (Mike's younger brother), would probably play a lot more basketball than his other siblings, and would probably do it well

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It is kind of incredible Anya saw a vision of her cool spy dad die and came face to face with an actual bomb and only came out of that with a slight traumatization of not being able to read a clock properly.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

tsob posted:

I like him when he's not obsessing over Yor. Which isn't very often granted, but I liked him thinking of Anya as a little gremlin and then getting serious about helping her study this episode for instance. Which, yeah, predicated on his love for Yor, but still fun once he got into it. Him shouting about how good Yor's food is while puking is a fun gag too.

The puking gag is still great (with the follow-up gag of Bond just passed out on the floor after trying Yor's cooking and no one saying anything about it was hilarious), but yeah, Yuri's obsession makes it hard to like the character. I feel like he's the one big misstep in the series so far; Yuri could have been just overprotective of his older sister instead of obsessive, and he still would have been a threat to Loid (both on a micro and macro level to his mission), but it was taken too far. Hell, he still could love Yor's cooking and constantly puke while eating it without the obsession, all you have to say is that's what he grew up with and it reminds him of good times, and it works fine.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is kind of incredible Anya saw a vision of her cool spy dad die and came face to face with an actual bomb and only came out of that with a slight traumatization of not being able to read a clock properly.

It's very shonen protag of her

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I feel like the alcoholic incest stasi guy is the character we're supposed to be laughing *at*, not *with*.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At the very least he is a threat to Operation Stryx and Loid's and Yor's wedded bliss.

Kiss your wife already Loid.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Just want to vent a little at the quality of subtitle that I've got for this anime. There's two ways that I know of to watch Spy X Family legally in my part of the world, Netflix and Disney Plus. And both of those sites, I think the quality of subtitling for this anime is not that great.

Like in this latest episode, when Anya was talking to Yuri about studying. In the Disney Plus version, she said, 'You like studying? Are you pervert?' while in other translations that I saw, she said, 'You like studying? What's wrong with you?' Which makes more sense.

There's other things like that, like the Netflix one translated Anya's "ootings" as "excursions", which I guess is similar but it removes the joke of Anya constantly mispronouncing words.

EDIT

Another example, when Yuri said, "Knowledge is Power", my version translated Anya's response as, 'Doggy-Doggy Power?' While other versions, translated it, "no leash is power?' Maybe that's not quite as literal but at least the other translation preserve Anya's running gag.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 7, 2022

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm incredibly disappointed that everyone seems to have removed the truth that knowledge is a swole chihuahua :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Any other FFXIV goons watching because lol

https://twitter.com/aetherflows/status/1589692102409351170?t=ze7P-vSKrXwAnYa8yyQlDw&s=19

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I use en voices on FF so I didn't notice, but that's a great detail.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"This is Daybreak" he announces out loud to a room full of people.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ahahaha

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's been a good while since I read this part of the manga, so watching Daybreak animated in the most recent episode was wonderful in more ways than one. He's a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Lotus Aura posted:

I'm incredibly disappointed that everyone seems to have removed the truth that knowledge is a swole chihuahua :(
:emptyquote: