Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just watched the new One Piece movie despite having never seen or read One Piece, and it kind of made me want to watch and/or read One Piece.

Was Luffy's mom banging Shanks? If so good for her, that guy's hot.

We still have no evidence that Luffy has a mom. Doubt she'd be banging Shanks if she does exist though. He's already got a hot bar lady back where Luffy's from. Plus whoever the movie's main girl's mom is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was planning to see Red this weekend but woke up really sick. :negative: Hope it’s still playing near me next week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just watched the new One Piece movie despite having never seen or read One Piece, and it kind of made me want to watch and/or read One Piece.

Almost 1100 chapters in and we still spend every week hooting and hollering about One Piece.

So yes, you should definitely read it and post your thoughts and reactions because the only thing better than reading One Piece is reading it for the first time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gyges posted:

We still have no evidence that Luffy has a mom.

He has Dadan and Dadan 100% has hosed Shanks at some point.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

If you do not already have it, Shonen Jump digital is 2 bucks a month and you can read all of One Piece and that's the best media deal you will ever get in your entire life

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay FINE, I'll do what everyone has been telling me to do for years and read/watch one piece :argh:

Gyges posted:

We still have no evidence that Luffy has a mom. Doubt she'd be banging Shanks if she does exist though. He's already got a hot bar lady back where Luffy's from. Plus whoever the movie's main girl's mom is.

So that lady at the bar who looked like him and seemed to be raising him WASN'T his mom? Alright, but you can see why I was confused about that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So that lady at the bar who looked like him and seemed to be raising him WASN'T his mom? Alright, but you can see why I was confused about that.

That's Makino, she's only like two years older than Luffy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Funky Valentine posted:

she's only like two years older than Luffy.

wait what

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No wait I misread the wiki, she's ten years older than Luffy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that makes slightly more sense

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Funky Valentine posted:

That's Makino, she's only like two years older than Luffy.

That can't possibly be true.

Funky Valentine posted:

No wait I misread the wiki, she's ten years older than Luffy.

Alright, that fits. I was about to say that either Luffy was the worlds shortest 20 year old or Makino is the world's tallest ten year old.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Makino also had Shanks’s baby during the time skip. Dude gets around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is the Koby from Chapter 2 the same Koby from the movie? Wow, that kid is in for a heck of a glow up. What fruit does he eat that causes him to grow two feet, no longer need glasses, and get a better haircut?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Lift-Lift Fruit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Is the Koby from Chapter 2 the same Koby from the movie? Wow, that kid is in for a heck of a glow up. What fruit does he eat that causes him to grow two feet, no longer need glasses, and get a better haircut?

PT, PT, good for you, good for me

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gyges posted:

We still have no evidence that Luffy has a mom.

Excuse you but Crocodile is right there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He gets a daily dose of vitamin Garp.

Ah, such times you have ahead. This is one reason to read the manga over the anime; although you do find out how Koby changes so much in the anime, you get a sneak peek through a cover arc, which is where little bits of story (some extremely relevant!) get told through one panel comics on the cover of chapters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He gets a daily dose of vitamin Garp.

Ah, such times you have ahead. This is one reason to read the manga over the anime; although you do find out how Koby changes so much in the anime, you get a sneak peek through a cover arc, which is where little bits of story (some extremely relevant!) get told through one panel comics on the cover of chapters.

Actually, Koby's is one of the few cover arcs that actually got animated as an episode or two.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

One Piece Film Red was cool! It was the first One Piece movie I've ever watched actually. I was surprised to see Gear 5, even though it was just a hint. Must've have confused anime-only people lol. Also I loved the credits which shows little scenes of characters from every part of the world.

Also glad to see my boy Perospero get more screen time!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
One Piece Red is about cocaine.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Bleck posted:

Excuse you but Crocodile is right there.

Nah, Crocodile is totally Luffy's dad. Dragon is Luffy's mom.

Glad to see you join the One Piece fandom, Omoly.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Okay FINE, I'll do what everyone has been telling me to do for years and read/watch one piece :argh:

Godspeed! Don't feel obliged to, but a joy of this thread has been people reading the series for the first time and posting their impressions. OP is a rare piece of media that has managed to do ~1100 chapters worth and still be great, so you'll find most people enjoy seeing others starting the ride.

Oda doesn't forget [[most]] characters, so get ready for a lot of these kind of transformations.

Red Spoilers: Ussop getting a brief moment with his dad was my favorite moment. Lots of cute moments throughout.

Old king saving the song that killed everyone he ever knew because he just loved music so much is peak one note character. Glad he did tho, Tot musica's design is fun.

That said, Uta's life sucked eh? Fun childhood that ended with her losing her family and then she nearly killed her fans and friends and then just died. Shanks abandoning the kid only an island with only one living guy left seems way crueler than the movie treats it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyges posted:

Uta is not Shanks' biological daughter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1589050981861523466?s=20&t=LnSKhRK4rZ4SqgCZchHjNg

Ahahaha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Uta's life sucked eh? Fun childhood that ended with her losing her family and then she nearly killed her fans and friends and then just died. Shanks abandoning the kid only an island with only one living guy left seems way crueler than the movie treats it.

Film Red: Is she actually dead? I found it hard to tell. It looked like Shank's crew were standing over a coffin, but it was such a quick shot that it was hard to tell. Obviously chances are better than not that she is, otherwise she'd still be with Shanks in the future and that would mean the movie is canonical.

Please continue to post your reactions :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CodfishCartographer posted:

Film Red: Is she actually dead? I found it hard to tell. It looked like Shank's crew were standing over a coffin, but it was such a quick shot that it was hard to tell. Obviously chances are better than not that she is, otherwise she'd still be with Shanks in the future and that would mean the movie is canonical.

Please continue to post your reactions :allears:

For what it's worth Uta is absolutely canon, she's shown up in the manga as a shadow behind Shanks when he thinks of the past, and more notably as a short panel set about how she wrote her songs. Her being a global idol, and the actual events of the movie, are not canon. She wants to re-connect with Shanks after writing her songs and that's the most we know about manga canon Uta. She also probably has the same back story in terms of Tot Musica, Luffy and Shanks. Shiki the Golden Lion is also a canon character but the movie he's part of is not canon.

As for actual discussion of the movie events Tot Musica seems like a relic of the Void Century, like the three god weapons. The music sheets are entombed in Ancient Kingdom style artwork (think Enel on the moon, or some of the art near Poneglyphs), plus if you listen to the Lyrics it sounds more or less like a final vengeful rally against an oppressive enemy. The sort of thing you use if you're about to be wiped out and your history erased.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chapter 3

Is this guy's name "Zolo" or "Zoro"? The manga has it written as "zolo" but I could have sworn that in the movie it was Zoro, which makes way more sense because he's a sword guy and Zoro is sword guy name.

Anyway, I just watched him eat some dirt. Which is good because he will 100% die if he doesn't eat or drink for a month, he has been left there to starve to death and doesn't seem to realize this? This is like being told "we're going to hang you" and thinking "oh, great, so after the hanging I'm free to go!"

This rich kid sucks.

Chapter 4

Luffy is dead set on getting this guy who does not want to join his crew to join his crew. Good with swords + willing to eat dirt = Perfect pirate material?

Holy poo poo, Rich kid's dad is a monster and now I feel bad for rich kid.

Koby is a stand up guy, I really don't think he should be joining the navy given that the only example we've had of the navy in this world so far has been "the worst person you can possibly imagine"

Chapter 5
Luffy is trying to steal a dolphin's drink, rude. Luffy is a rude boy.

Rich boy is having a no good very bad day and even though I'm sympathetic to him now his pain is still pretty funny and not entirely undeserved.

Koby still too good for the navy.

Zolo(Zoro?)'s backstory! Wait, what the gently caress? She just fell down some stairs and died?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, in 2004, the One Piece anime was licensed by 4Kids, who kind of butchered it in the dubbing process with various changes to make it a better fit for their portfolio. They bowdlerized the poo poo out of it, and one such change was renaming Zoro to "Zolo." Unfortunately, this is a change that stuck in the official manga release even if no translation of the anime uses it.

Basically, his name is Zoro, everyone is gonna call him Zoro, but the manga will only ever use "Zolo." It's annoying.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Re: Zoro/Zolo - his original name is Zoro, but the old 4Kids dub named him Zolo because 4Kids, and I guess to maintain “consistency” every official localization besides iirc the current dub uses Zolo, but his name is most definitely Zoro so just call him that.

Also you’re gonna have a good lol at the idea of Zoro dying from pussy poo poo like “not eating/drinking for a month” when you get far enough.

Edit: efb

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Iirc Helmeppo gets annoyed that Zoro isn't dying fast enough and decides to have him executed anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

His name's Zolo, he's like a samurai

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the use of Zolo was also due to the nebulous copyright status of the character Zorro, I think they're pretty litigious about it too. I think they keep Zolo in the manga because like Zorro had comic books, but it didn't have like an anime so I guess the dub can clear it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just watched Film Red. My only gripe is some janky CGI in a few places and Brooke being underused in such a musically themed movie. Other than that it was fantastic and probably my favorite OP movie to date.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Chapter 3
Zolo(Zoro?)'s backstory! Wait, what the gently caress? She just fell down some stairs and died?

Zoro is his name in every part of the world except those cursed by 4 Kids. When 4 Kids had the rights they decided to call him Zolo instead of Zoro, because they're dumb dumbs who are dumb. I believe it's for "legal" reasons, because their consulting attorney makes Lionel Hutz look like Perry Mason. For some reason when the rights transferred over to competent people, they decided that instead of fixing it they'd just run with Zolo. Also if you watch the dub or listen to what people say in the sub, it's pronounced Zoro. So his name is Zoro but because of very dumb reasons the official translation is Zolo. However nobody anywhere on the internet refers to him as Zolo. .

Yes, stairs. Considering where backstories go, it's hard to tell if Oda was just intentionally starting the tragic backstory bar low. Conversely, it's just so pointlessly random that there is a certain absurd nihilistic horror to it that nobody else comes close to matching.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the use of Zolo was also due to the nebulous copyright status of the character Zorro, I think they're pretty litigious about it too. I think they keep Zolo in the manga because like Zorro had comic books, but it didn't have like an anime so I guess the dub can clear it.

That's the given reason, but it makes absolutely no sense. Zorro the character is public domain, however certain films and comics aren't. Which is irrelevent, because Zoro and Zorro are two very distinct characters who share only a homophonic pronunciation and the use of a bandana. You could almost safely represent yourself in a copyright case.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 6, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's likely why 4kids did it at least, viz just opted for consistency early on before 4kids started really loving things up

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Saw Red today. I went in only having watched the two tie-in episodes. It was okay but I didn’t expect so much singing. Loved all the little cameos and getting to see more of Barto.

TBH I liked Gold and Strong World more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

That's the given reason, but it makes absolutely no sense. Zorro the character is public domain, however certain films and comics aren't. Which is irrelevent, because Zoro and Zorro are two very distinct characters who share only a homophonic pronunciation and the use of a bandana. You could almost safely represent yourself in a copyright case.

Sometimes even if you would have a pretty good case, companies would just want to avoid any risk of lost time/money on a suit altogether.

Lawsuits can take a really long time, even seemingly open and shut cases. If Viz is up in court against those Zorro rights holders, that's potentially months that they could not publish One Piece. And yes, while the readers can just go to scans, the entire point of the digital Shonen Jump service is to offer official translations at the same time as the Japanese issues to create a convenient alternative to piracy. So it's really bad for them.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 6, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wonder if they named him zolo because its sounds like solo. you know. han solo.

that seems more 4kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sometimes companies are extra cautious about names when the rights holders are well known for being litigious. It's just not worth the trouble (though given the length of this series... it would be worth the trouble, actually).

See also: Capcom changing the name of the character in The Great Ace Attorney to "Herlock Sholmes". The Doyle estate had just sued Netflix, they didn't want that messing up the launch of an old game in the US.

That one is fun because it has historical precedent that makes it airtight. One of the early Arsene Lupin stories has him face off with Holmes, completely unauthorized, written when Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive. He sued, so subsequent reprintings featured Herlock Sholmes instead. Clearly the TGAA character is referencing that legally distinct literary entity.