Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
EDIT:nvm

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Chapter 3

Is this guy's name "Zolo" or "Zoro"? The manga has it written as "zolo" but I could have sworn that in the movie it was Zoro, which makes way more sense because he's a sword guy and Zoro is sword guy name.

Anyway, I just watched him eat some dirt. Which is good because he will 100% die if he doesn't eat or drink for a month, he has been left there to starve to death and doesn't seem to realize this? This is like being told "we're going to hang you" and thinking "oh, great, so after the hanging I'm free to go!"

This rich kid sucks.

Chapter 4

Luffy is dead set on getting this guy who does not want to join his crew to join his crew. Good with swords + willing to eat dirt = Perfect pirate material?

Holy poo poo, Rich kid's dad is a monster and now I feel bad for rich kid.

Koby is a stand up guy, I really don't think he should be joining the navy given that the only example we've had of the navy in this world so far has been "the worst person you can possibly imagine"

Chapter 5
Luffy is trying to steal a dolphin's drink, rude. Luffy is a rude boy.

Rich boy is having a no good very bad day and even though I'm sympathetic to him now his pain is still pretty funny and not entirely undeserved.

Koby still too good for the navy.

Zolo(Zoro?)'s backstory! Wait, what the gently caress? She just fell down some stairs and died?

Keep reading, One Piece is good, yes, that is his tragic backstory

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

It's a running gag in the fandom because of all the things later on that make it look even sillier.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Haki infused awakened stairs.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Reminds me that the 4Kids dub changed Zoro’s backstory so that Kuina instead got beaten so badly by a gang of jealous kids that she was permanently crippled for life. Which is 1000 times worse but I guess better for censorship so they didn’t have to say she died.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sensei: Humans are fragile things, Zolo Zorro.
Humans: ???

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cloks posted:

manga spoiler

why are you hiding the letter "P", Oda?

Going back to this, I think I cracked it:

It's Sunk Records. It's a giant egg because it was it was a giant time capsule that was sunk below the ocean that Vegapunk or someone discovered, surfaced, and opened up.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Going back to this, I think I cracked it:

It's Sunk Records. It's a giant egg because it was it was a giant time capsule that was sunk below the ocean that Vegapunk or someone discovered, surfaced, and opened up.

I came to the same conclusion. I think either it's gonna turn out that the island can fly and/or dive beneath the waves, or that one of the big mysteries of the Void Century is that the Red Line's creation caused so much water displacement it sunk so much of the world beneath the waves.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is officially out btw:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014684

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like Zoro's backstory because it gives him a goal that's actually impossible to achieve. He wants to be The Best Swordsman, but he could never beat her. He'll never know if he could have beaten her now, so he'll never TRULY know if he's the best or not.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like Zoro's backstory because it gives him a goal that's actually impossible to achieve. He wants to be The Best Swordsman, but he could never beat her. He'll never know if he could have beaten her now, so he'll never TRULY know if he's the best or not.

He'll succeed once he defeats Shiryu and a flight of stairs at the same time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So in the One Piece Film Soundtrack Playlist on Spotify, the first “song” seems to be a message from Luffy about the playlist. Does anyone know what he’s saying?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
No, it's a mystery playlist.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So if Jimbei Seraphim has an artificial swim-swim fruit, would Vegapunk have access to the rest of Doflamingo's crew's fruit powers? Are we going to see a seraphim with Sugar's power??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Birdcage 2

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if Vegapunk has been ordered to be killed because of the void century now that the Marines have reap the benefits of his findings. Nonetheless, given that the Seraphims can be imbued with devil-fruit-like powers, I wonder if the Devil Fruits are tech from the Void Century that has been scattered into the ocean to survive.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Funky Valentine posted:

He'll succeed once he defeats Shiryu and a flight of stairs at the same time.

So kinda like this?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mraagvpeine posted:

So kinda like this?

god the composition of the jojos one is so good

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

god the composition of the jojos one is so good

poo poo, yeah, I gotta start reading that

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, I'm torn on the "death by stairs" thing.

On the one hand like you said it gives Zoro an impossible goal because his rival died tragically young and never got to reach her full potential.

But on the other hand so far humans in the One Piece universe seem to run on cartoon physics and take massive amounts of physical punishment without breaking a sweat, so having someone seriously die via a slapstick premise like "fell down some stairs" is kind of jarring in a way that takes you out of the story.

What the hell kind of stairs was that girl trying to climb?!

AtomikKrab posted:

I intend to! This stuff is great.

CharlestonJew posted:

Reminds me that the 4Kids dub changed Zoro’s backstory so that Kuina instead got beaten so badly by a gang of jealous kids that she was permanently crippled for life. Which is 1000 times worse but I guess better for censorship so they didn’t have to say she died.

Oh. Yeah that's way worse, and also kind of problematic because in the one piece universe magic is apparently real so it makes Zoro an rear end in a top hat for leaving her to become the world's greatest swordsman instead of trying to find the sword fruit or whatever to help her fight again. Also, I know from the movie that apparently cyborgs exist in this reality so she probably could have become one of those as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
4Kids Nami and Zoro are some real assholes, and Brook's backstory is even sadder.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brook just wants to see that big iceberg again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...cr_twitter_news

Crunchyroll did an interview with Taniguchi and a couple producers for Film Red, and they said that since it's been 20 years since Shanks last had a lot to do in the anime, it seemed hard for Shuichi Ikeda to get back into character lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, what the hell is with the entirety of 4Kids Nami's island? Do they have a real hosed up judicial system where everyone in Arlong's dungeons have exhausted their appeals so tough poo poo, they have to rot? I wish I could do something, but we're an island of laws and Arlong was the legitimate government at the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bepo is the best and I love him

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mraagvpeine posted:

So kinda like this?

whats the leftmost manga? gut tells me fist of the north star but i dont think i've ever actually read any of it

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Omoly, I am begging you. You need to ask us, with regards to Luffy: "He's made of rubber. How did that happen?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's FotNS

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scholtz posted:

Omoly, I am begging you. You need to ask us, with regards to Luffy: "He's made of rubber. How did that happen?"

What? But it was explained in the first chapter....
Alright fine, if this is one of your local customs I'll participate:

He's made of rubber. How did that happen?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What? But it was explained in the first chapter....
Alright fine, if this is one of your local customs I'll participate:

He's made of rubber. How did that happen?

Yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank you for participating in our outlandish culture

(But really you should definitely check out the 4Kids One Piece rap OP)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You should definitely check out the anime openings as and when you get to their relevant chapters, they're pretty great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Film red was fun and I'm not sure what I expected but it just felt like a two hour episode

At least we got to see Shanks and his crew do something even if it isn't canon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On One Piece Red. Tot Musica is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATdtg2rZQ

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hikari E is peak.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You should definitely check out the anime openings as and when you get to their relevant chapters, they're pretty great.

That's a good point.

Omoly (or any future posters) here's a list of the One Piece OPs, and the manga chapters to which their anime episodes correspond. I'll also include the midpoint of those chapter runs because that's probably* the best time the watch them:

*Idk if any of the OPs are particularly spoilery but I figure midpoint is safe if they are

OP01: Chapters 1 - 95 (m. 48) "We Are!"

OP02: Chapters 96 - 188 (m. 142) "Believe"

OP03: Chapters 189 - 255 (m. 222) "Hikari e"

OP04: Chapters 256 - 302 (m. 279) "BON VOYAGE!"

OP05: Chapters 303 - 375 (m. 339) "Kokoro no Chizu"

OP06: Chapters 376 -398 (m. 387) "Brand New World"

OP07: Series Recap "We Are! (Straw Hat Pirates Version)"

OP08: Chapters 399 - 441 (m. 420) "Crazy Rainbow"

OP09: Chapters 442 - 479 (m. 461) "Jungle P"

OP10: Chapters 480 - 500 (m. 490) "We Are! (Remix)"

OP11: Chapters 501 - 528 (m. 515) "Share the World"

OP12: Chapters 529 - 549 (m. 539) "Kaze o Sagashite"

OP13: Chapters 550 - 582 (m. 566) "One day"

OP14: Chapters 583 - 597 (m. 590) "Fight Together"

OP15: Chapters 598 - 664 (m. 631) "We Go!"

OP16: Chapters 665 - 699 (m. 682) "Hands Up!"

OP17: Chapters 700 - 750 (m. 725) "Wake Up!"

OP18: Chapters 751 - 801 (m. 776) "Hard Knock Days"

OP19: Chapters 802 - 843 (m. 823) "We Can!"

OP20: Chapters 844 - 883 (m. 864) "Hope"

OP21: Chapters 884 - 910 (m. 897) "Super Powers"

OP22: Chapters 911 - 938 (m. 925) "OVER THE TOP"

OP23: Chapters 939 - 989 (m. 964) "DREAMIN' ON"

OP23.5 Episode 1000 had a special version of "We Are!"

OP24: Chapters 990 - 1038 (Current) "PAINT"

Some of these, especially early ones, have some... inconsistent quality. I did my best to get versions with English subs and to avoid 4k/60fps interpolation nastiness. I might just download them all in a cleaner version and upload them to a youtube channel unlisted or something

Also, some of these OPs have multiple versions within their runs but I am going to be lazy and not include them sorry

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 6, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Some openings were spoilery for the time I believe. IIRC opening 4 spoils Robin joining the crew

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I never considered them spoilery, they just give you a taster of what's to come. It makes you wonder how they get there, it's why I always loved getting to a new opening.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RatHat posted:

Some openings were spoilery for the time I believe. IIRC opening 4 spoils Robin joining the crew

I think that's OP3 but yeah

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I never considered them spoilery, they just give you a taster of what's to come. It makes you wonder how they get there, it's why I always loved getting to a new opening.

Yeah and Omoly's already seen Film: Red so it's not like it matters, I just added that disclaimer in case future new readers use the list (and if alkanphel wants to add the list to the OP of this thread. Then it'll be an OP OP OP)

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've never seen that episode 1000 redo of We Are, that was fantastic.