Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Per book 5 prologue/RoW spoilers Gavilar being a poo poo is there a bit in Navani's pov chapters, blatantly in the prologue of RoW, but the prologue of 5 portrays him as much worse. I haven't checked out the reading he did of 5, but I wonder if the prologue will change in tone a bit to not make him out as such a bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Leng posted:

The Shallan flashbacks worked fine for me, but I think I'm in the minority for liking Shallan anyway. The ones that REALLY didn't work for me were the Venli flashbacks. But maybe it's because OB spoilers I preferred Eshonai. I know Sanderson has been on the recording saying that he felt like her narrative and Kaladin's were too similar and he wanted to experiment with a different kind of character arc, but after most of the Parshendi stuff was revealed earlier than planned, that left very little over for Venli's flashbacks to be interesting...and Eshonai and Kaladin are still very different characters from very different cultures so I don't think I would have minded the overlap in character archetype.

I'm on my own Cosmere reread right now, and Shallan flashbacks are much better once you know whats up, you can appreciate what's happening better. On the other hand this time I want to smack Kaladin pre-emptively for being such a massive dramaqueen. As for Eshonai, she was barely a character, so i'm surprised she was such a fan favorite. She was just really well developed in that short bit, like the shoe guy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tomorrow might be our last preview chapter of The Lost Metal, depending on whether we get another one on the day immediately preceding the book's release. And I'm super pumped for it, especially after this week's cliffhanger! Only 9 more days to go until we can finally read the finale of Mistborn Era 2.

For a totally different topic, (Stormlight Spoilers) should we read something into the fact that we have official portraits of all Heralds but one? We have no portrait of Battar, the patron of the Elsecallers, who may masquerade as one of the Diagram's scholars in Karbaranth. Most wild theories about the Heralds are usually connected to Chanarach, or Ishar of course. Is there any theory that would explain why we haven't been shown her portrait yet?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A question:

All Stormlight spoilers

So a God of Hatred or whatever who inspires and feeds that evil/negative emotion in people is pretty common in Fantasy stuff. Odium is distinctive in how he does the reverse. He saps people of their passion instead of stoking it.

But he doesn't seem to do this to everyone and it made me curious why. Then it hit me that people he drains and leaves emotionless husks are all humans. Moash, the people in Kholinar, Amaram, potentially Dalinar. There is none of the "give me your pain and guilt" with his Parshendi troops so far as I can recall here at the end of Oathbringer.

The story says humans brought Odium and the void to Roshar so can Odium not properly feed on Parshendi like he can humans?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 6, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

That sounds like a cool and plausible theory to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would say no, the shards don't need to feed on humans or singers and their powers don't derive from worship of followers, only reason Odium wants humans or singers around is to have someone to rule over but shardic power is basically infinite as was mentioned by sanderson somewhere. And I believe Odium can simply choose if he wants to inflame passions or take them away. Odium does inflame the passions of humans via his unmade, see the thrill.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

A question:

All Stormlight spoilers

So a God of Hatred or whatever who inspires and feeds that evil/negative emotion in people is pretty common in Fantasy stuff. Odium is distinctive in how he does the reverse. He saps people of their passion instead of stoking it.

But he doesn't seem to do this to everyone and it made me curious why. Then it hit me that people he drains and leaves emotionless husks are all humans. Moash, the people in Kholinar, Amaram, potentially Dalinar. There is none of the "give me your pain and guilt" with his Parshendi troops so far as I can recall here at the end of Oathbringer.

The story says humans brought Odium and the void to Roshar so can Odium not properly feed on Parshendi like he can humans?

It's the other way around perhaps? I don't think he feeds on humans, or has any need to do so. A shard's investiture is so many orders of magnitude higher than whatever he might get out of feeding on humans, it would make no difference. But the stories about how he is the void are surely inspired from his habit of taking people's emotions/passions, leaving them empty.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

A question:

All Stormlight spoilers

So Stormlight spoilers in response Odium inspires Passion in people, he revels in it, the Listeners speak of the passions, the chapter where Dalinar first meets Rayse is called Passion. (Theoretically) Rayse doesn't hold the shard of divine hatred, he has the shard of divine Passion, and his own personality and goals at the moment of accention turned it into Odium. I can imagine the divine wrath Adonolsium would maybe consider as they were shattered which Rayse would have used to fuel his transformation into a Shard with the intention of being the one surviving after killing the rest.

Rayse chooses not to use the power of Odium to do things with people more because he's a dick, not because he can't.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

M_Gargantua posted:

So Stormlight spoilers in response Odium inspires Passion in people, he revels in it, the Listeners speak of the passions, the chapter where Dalinar first meets Rayse is called Passion. (Theoretically) Rayse doesn't hold the shard of divine hatred, he has the shard of divine Passion, and his own personality and goals at the moment of accention turned it into Odium. I can imagine the divine wrath Adonolsium would maybe consider as they were shattered which Rayse would have used to fuel his transformation into a Shard with the intention of being the one surviving after killing the rest.

Rayse chooses not to use the power of Odium to do things with people more because he's a dick, not because he can't.

More Spoilers in a WoB sense. Brandon has said that Rayse "says" he's the shard of Passion but he truly is the Odious shard. He had just possessed the power so long that he deluded himself into thinking that his passion was anything other than hate and distaste but by the end the power was just using him. I have a feeling Taravodioum will channel his Odious nature into "order" but he is still and will always be the shard of Odium. For myself, I like how words and feelings in the novels can be twisted. Someone thinking something about their power is completely different from how the power actually works.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TGG posted:

More Spoilers in a WoB sense. Brandon has said that Rayse "says" he's the shard of Passion but he truly is the Odious shard. He had just possessed the power so long that he deluded himself into thinking that his passion was anything other than hate and distaste but by the end the power was just using him. I have a feeling Taravodioum will channel his Odious nature into "order" but he is still and will always be the shard of Odium. For myself, I like how words and feelings in the novels can be twisted. Someone thinking something about their power is completely different from how the power actually works.

It's also said in one of the epigrams, I think it's supposed to be the random dragon talking to Wit, where it is outright said Rayse holds the Shard of "God's own hatred."

Just 'cuz I don't like relying solely on stuff outside of the work, you know.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would say no, the shards don't need to feed on humans or singers and their powers don't derive from worship of followers, only reason Odium wants humans or singers around is to have someone to rule over but shardic power is basically infinite as was mentioned by sanderson somewhere. And I believe Odium can simply choose if he wants to inflame passions or take them away. Odium does inflame the passions of humans via his unmade, see the thrill.

I didn't mean to imply he's like a vampire who needs this, just that maybe he can't manipulate Singers like he does humans. There's a lot of emphasis on how humans and Singers are different in the way they express emotion and every Fused we see is bursting with emotions. None are hollow husks like Vyre.

Also I thought the Unmade can do things Odium himself can't do. He can't corrupt Spren like the one did - he needed her to corrupt the Spren of the Oathgate for instance. Now the Thrill Unmade is gone, he can't replicate that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I didn't mean to imply he's like a vampire who needs this, just that maybe he can't manipulate Singers like he does humans. There's a lot of emphasis on how humans and Singers are different in the way they express emotion and every Fused we see is bursting with emotions. None are hollow husks like Vyre.

Also I thought the Unmade can do things Odium himself can't do. He can't corrupt Spren like the one did - he needed her to corrupt the Spren of the Oathgate for instance. Now the Thrill Unmade is gone, he can't replicate that.

vague ROW spoilers: i still pretty much think we're going to find out that there's an Unmade or something else affecting Moash, especially with that early scene where Renarin gets him to run off

it's also possible that taking away emotions is a very well-suited option for self-hating turncoats and Odium just doesn't need to pull that lever to motivate the majority of people

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Latest Lost Metal preview chapters: oops we accidentally e equals mc squared

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rosalie_A posted:

I can't wait for the full book. Only 8 more days...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

I'm a huge fan of Wayne being an accidental Titan of Industry. And also that he seems to be in the process of inventing professional league sports

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm a huge fan of Wayne being an accidental Titan of Industry. And also that he seems to be in the process of inventing professional league sports

He even invented product placement and using sports celebrities as influencers.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Wayne trying to come up with the "dumbest ideas possible" and just creating our society is lmao

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is going some cool loving places, holy poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OUT: harmony is the real big bad guy
IN: robber baron wayne is the real big bad guy

Jokes aside: he's doing something thematic with the Trellium related to autonomy, right? It's immediately reacting with Harmonium, an alloy of two other godmetals that really shouldn't exist together in the first place, and liberating the energy inside

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

eke out posted:

OUT: harmony is the real big bad guy
IN: robber baron wayne is the real big bad guy

Jokes aside: he's doing something thematic with the Trellium related to autonomy, right? It's immediately reacting with Harmonium, an alloy of two other godmetals that really shouldn't exist together in the first place, and liberating the energy inside

Or perhaps more generally Trellium gives autonomy from the influences of other shards. We saw this in how a Trellium spike gives Kandra autonomy from Harmony. The question there is whether that is true autonomy or whether it is under trells control. I think there's definitely more we need to know about the nature of Trell and the autonomy shard

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Lost metal general: calling Wayne becoming full mistborn that can not die and going out into the greater cosmere looking for his ex

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

eke out posted:

he's doing something thematic with the Trellium related to autonomy, right? It's immediately reacting with Harmonium, an alloy of two other godmetals that really shouldn't exist together in the first place, and liberating the energy inside

Lost Metal spoilers from the last-released chapters: “Trellium has a repulsing effect on other forms of Investiture." - Trell is all but officially confirmed as Autonomy, is my takeaway there. I wonder if using trellium as an earring might give Wax a sense of separation from Harmony somehow, even if they're chatting.

Also uh did they just do a fission bomb by accident? I don't really understand nuclear weapons. Would splitting a non-radioactive metal atom cause radiation?

I feel the momentum building to carry us into the next era, here. I'm pumped, just found out my bf even pre-ordered it!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

stramit posted:

Lost metal general: calling Wayne becoming full mistborn that can not die and going out into the greater cosmere looking for his ex

I could see something like that. The original kandra were created by the Lord Ruler from Terrismen. I could see some crazy shenanigans resulting in Wayne becoming a new mistwraith/kandra. We don't really know what that process entails but it would be an appropriate conclusion for his character.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CK07 posted:

Lost Metal spoilers from the last-released chapters: “Trellium has a repulsing effect on other forms of Investiture." - Trell is all but officially confirmed as Autonomy, is my takeaway there. I wonder if using trellium as an earring might give Wax a sense of separation from Harmony somehow, even if they're chatting.

Also uh did they just do a fission bomb by accident? I don't really understand nuclear weapons. Would splitting a non-radioactive metal atom cause radiation?

Yes, splitting a non-radioactive atom should release energy and radiation. It's really hard to do though, at least on a large enough scale to do anything beyond one atom's worth of energy.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

seaborgium posted:

Yes, splitting a non-radioactive atom should release energy and radiation. It's really hard to do though, at least on a large enough scale to do anything beyond one atom's worth of energy.
Generally, splitting big atoms releases more energy and radiation than it takes to split them; splitting small atoms takes more energy than it releases, and vice versa for small atoms and fusion . Iron is the midpoint, and you can neither fuse or split it to release more energy. I wouldn't bother mansplaining that, but the fact that Iron is a notable metal in the Metallic Arts could factor in somewhere.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 8, 2022

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Wax coughing seems like a bad sign. I'm sure it's too early for radiation sickness to kick in but it can't be healthy for any of them to be in that room right now, yeah?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

seaborgium posted:

this wasn't conventional fission though (matter-energy) it was investiture -energy. The end result is the same except that it is not atoms that they are splitting, it's investiture in the form of matter

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

We deep in lost metal preview chapter spoilers

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Wax coughing seems like a bad sign. I'm sure it's too early for radiation sickness to kick in but it can't be healthy for any of them to be in that room right now, yeah?

Batman doesn't die to mere radiation poisoning!

I'd be surprised if he went that direction, but he's made similar offhanded one line fore-shadowings before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have read a couple books where a fatal dose of radiation leads means the protagonist has nothing left to lose, and spends his 'walking ghost' phase on One. Last. Job.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I have read a couple books where a fatal dose of radiation leads means the protagonist has nothing left to lose, and spends his 'walking ghost' phase on One. Last. Job.

Also in the cosmere there's another word for a walking ghost: cognitive shadow

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Also in the cosmere there's another word for a walking ghost: cognitive shadow
What a good tangent, I wanted to talk about cognitive shadows.

Vasher's definition of them is that they're people who died highly Invested, and when the soul goes Beyond, that power remembers being alive, so it keeps right on going because it thinks it's still the same person, right? But because it's not a real soul, the fakery unravels over time because it can't change and evolve properly, so it gets more and more set in its ways and spren-like? So they may or may not have Physical components, they're Cognitive but it's not the original mind, it's a copy of it, and there's no Spiritual. So they don't go Beyond? (Or, if they do, they do as a "new" soul?)

But... that doesn't apply to Kelsier. We're in his mind from the moment of his death, and he never goes Beyond. He's still original model Kelsier. So he's not a cognitive shadow, then, even though I'm pretty sure he's been referred to as one before. And Shards wouldn't be either, because they don't go Beyond until they die (and when they do, we even see their Physical component pop back into the realm). And we don't know what happened to the Heralds to make them Heralds, but we know Jezrien faded out of the gem they put him in because once stripped of his Connection, he goes Beyond too. That doesn't sound like a cognitive shadow by the definition we've got, that sounds more like whatever Kelsier is.

The whole thing is one big RAFO bait so I doubt there's answers, but it confuses the heck out of me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

What a good tangent, I wanted to talk about cognitive shadows.

Vasher's definition of them is that they're people who died highly Invested, and when the soul goes Beyond, that power remembers being alive, so it keeps right on going because it thinks it's still the same person, right? But because it's not a real soul, the fakery unravels over time because it can't change and evolve properly, so it gets more and more set in its ways and spren-like? So they may or may not have Physical components, they're Cognitive but it's not the original mind, it's a copy of it, and there's no Spiritual. So they don't go Beyond? (Or, if they do, they do as a "new" soul?)

But... that doesn't apply to Kelsier. We're in his mind from the moment of his death, and he never goes Beyond. He's still original model Kelsier. So he's not a cognitive shadow, then, even though I'm pretty sure he's been referred to as one before. And Shards wouldn't be either, because they don't go Beyond until they die (and when they do, we even see their Physical component pop back into the realm). And we don't know what happened to the Heralds to make them Heralds, but we know Jezrien faded out of the gem they put him in because once stripped of his Connection, he goes Beyond too. That doesn't sound like a cognitive shadow by the definition we've got, that sounds more like whatever Kelsier is.

The whole thing is one big RAFO bait so I doubt there's answers, but it confuses the heck out of me.

yeah I think that section is like, a very smart guy trying to figure it out with available information, but he's just working with the in-universe info he has and isn't all correct

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Lost metal again: this is kind of what I was worried about, Chekhov's cough and all. I just had a terrible premonition, though- what if Metalborn are immune to Investiture radiation, making dear, cautious, careful Steris and innocent mister mask the only ones who will suffer from the invisible danger... :cry:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My thought when reading that (beyond "uh oh") was what if he metabolizes what is basically a metal vapor that way? Paving the way for an inhaler-like delivery system as opposed to flakes-in-fish-oil?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

My thought when reading that (beyond "uh oh") was what if he metabolizes what is basically a metal vapor that way? Paving the way for an inhaler-like delivery system as opposed to flakes-in-fish-oil?

i also thought "did he just breathe some lerasium or some other big twist for later?" right there, it did have that feel of a small detail we will cut back to at a dramatic moment

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Rips 16 metals vape stick. Future era's just use metal autoinjectors and gas masks filled with metal vapors.

Re: Cognitive shadows, mistborn/stormlight spoilers Trying to remember stuff, but I think Kelsier is a cognitive shadow, since when he dies his "soul" lasts longer because of his being a mistborn. The soul being tethered by being more invested makes it seem like the soul is just investiture, someone who is physically dead has lost that original physical body person. This would put the heralds and the fused all in the same bucket of power that lived on remembering who they are after death, vs the returned who are memory wiped by endowment, but otherwise the same.

Regardless, I think any of them that become more sprenlike over thousands of years is more down to the mental attrition from living that long, without any form of assistance in maintaining their mind. Hoid manages it by using breath and other investiture tricks to maintain a functioning level of sanity, and the shards have the understanding and power to take care of it themselves. Maybe the returned are different here, or are special due to how endowment made them, or Vasher figured out how to do what we see Hoid do a few times with wrapping memories in breaths.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

That's an interesting insight and much more positive than mine. But what is the advantage? The liquid method is already instantaneous, right? But maybe you can get more bang for your buck? Wasn't that why Scarecrow vaporized the drug in Batman Begins? It would put them alongside Surgebinders breathing in Investiture.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Haven't read any of the Lost Metal chapters but this still will fall under lost metal spoilers While I suspect you *can* burn metals in your lungs and bloodstream just as easily, both of those have far more violent reactions to having metal in them than your guts. Pretty much any of them will send you to a hospital, but if you breath powdered zinc or cadmium you're going to have a real bad time. But also even if Wax got something in his lung, intent matters, you can't sense an allomantic reserve until you're consciously aware of it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Re: Cognitive shadows, mistborn/stormlight spoilers Trying to remember stuff, but I think Kelsier is a cognitive shadow, since when he dies his "soul" lasts longer because of his being a mistborn. The soul being tethered by being more invested makes it seem like the soul is just investiture, someone who is physically dead has lost that original physical body person. This would put the heralds and the fused all in the same bucket of power that lived on remembering who they are after death, vs the returned who are memory wiped by endowment, but otherwise the same.
Yeah, but Vasher is very much under the opinion that Cognitive Shadows are not the original person at all, they're the power that person left behind that -- since "power wants to be alive" and "how something is seen/thinks of itself matters tremendously" are building blocks of this universe -- starts acting like that person, maybe even legitimately not noticing that it's not the real person any more. But definitely in Kelsier's case, and probably in others that are getting classified as Shadows, it provably is the same person. Kelsier never goes Beyond. If he's a shadow, then the definition we have for them is deeply flawed.

It confuses the hell out of me and I wish I had access to one of those events where people ask Brandon a bunch of questions; I just would like confirmation that I'm supposed to be confused and find everything self-contradictory.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lost Metal: If Wax is coughing, he may be Snapping as a result of inhaling the mists / Lerasium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Lost Metal: If Wax is coughing, he may be Snapping as a result of inhaling the mists / Lerasium.

I thought that it might have been last chapter but now am not so sure that it has been split. I suspect he might have inhaled harmonium and it may be having some allomantic effect on him - what that is is anyone's guess. Perhaps granting full feruchemy instead? That would be fully on theme with Harmony as an ex feruchemist and feruchemy being something between ruin and preservation.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 9, 2022