Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man whenever manga panels are posted I feel like i'm missing out on so much by seeing the anime. Don't get me wrong the anime is fantastic, but there's just something about Araki's wildly outlandish style, the bizarre poses and the insane amount of detail with all these childishly naive ideas (like an MI6 agent writing his own name in big silver letters on his arm) that are pulled off with total confidence. It's like he just swings a splat of creativity at the paper, lets the pieces fall where they fall, and then fully respects and dedicates himself to the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

And the assassin pointed out that nobody ever thinks to just look up, that all this guy had to do to not die was look up and notice the projector.

The fight near the end of Skeleton Key was good too, where Alex is fighting this big tough guy augmented with all kinds of metal parts that effectively make him a sort of Frankenstein's Monster kinda thing, and Alex is losing but manages to get an electromagnetic crane to hang over the dude which completely lifts him up by all the metal, crumpling him into a seizing pile of flesh and metal

Ah, exploting a opponent's disability to win a fight, it really is a YA Bond series

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bisse posted:

Man whenever manga panels are posted I feel like i'm missing out on so much by seeing the anime. Don't get me wrong the anime is fantastic, but there's just something about Araki's wildly outlandish style, the bizarre poses and the insane amount of detail with all these childishly naive ideas (like an MI6 agent writing his own name in big silver letters on his arm) that are pulled off with total confidence. It's like he just swings a splat of creativity at the paper, lets the pieces fall where they fall, and then fully respects and dedicates himself to the result.

imo the most surreal manga-only thing is at the start of part 4 when Araki hasn't changed his art-style yet and everyone is just absurdly fuckin' buff for a few chapters

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh and also Part rankings! After having watched to the end of the anime, which currently stops in Stone Ocean at right after the jailbreak and Jailhouse Rock, here are my scientifically curated part rankings.

From best to worst:
3 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 6 > 1

3 - Stardust Crusaders:
After a very rough start, becomes the most personal, intimate and mysterious adventure, with a unique finale that's the opposite of balls-to-the-walls grand spectacle but still somehow manages to feel like it. (Somehow, with Araki's writing, grabbing onto a taxi manages to feel like a shocking planned moved by a villanous mastermind.) The best part about Part 3 is how... I can't find a better way to put it than: grounded in nature? the journey is. It's an adventure, a personal (not world-saving! personal!) adventure to a far-away land, across a vast exciting earth, to find a mysterious man. The gang feels as tight and fun to ride along with as the Ghostbusters team. I could watch entire episodes of Joseph screaming in english at shocking events, of Polnareff being Polnareff and his bathroom quest, Jotaro being too cool for school, Kakyoin the 16-year old being the party's dad character, and Avdol's deeply joyful personality peeking through the stern gruff facade. The second best part about it is the stand battles - at this point they are creative and exciting, but not too complex and out there, leading to most of them having logical conclusions. To this point, it has my all-time favourite stand battle: Hanged Man. It jumping into a child's eye just blew my entire mindscape away like nothing i've seen in anime, and the conclusion of getting everyone's eyes on the coin flip was just such a brilliant, logical and physical conclusion to an otherwise dream-like mushroom trip of a battle. And got to mention D'Arby, the most well-written poker showdown in all of fiction. When I want to excite a friend about JoJo, I will tell them about the poker battle where a guy, without even looking at his cards, bluffs so hard the other guy dies from a heart attack, and it's 100% believable. There's just something about Part 3 that's so much more personal and down to earth than the other parts. And that's why, it's #1 to me.

4 - Diamond is Unbreakable:
Also relies a lot on great characters to function. Okuyasu is my favourite dumb face dumbass ever, Rohan is just a trip how wildly narcissistic a person can be, and the-short-guy needs some serious therapy based on his dating skills. It has great battles and action scenes - the top one being breaking apart and reassembling the motorcycle to get past the stroller - however, I feel being stuck in one location really hurts it. More than any other part, it has a really uninspired villain-of-the-week feel, with the feeling it's just being dragged out with more villains plopping up until Araki feels like it's time to meet Kira. Dad-picture flying around arrowing things is just, ugh, so bad. The plot feels incoherent, it changes focus and drops threads all over the place. Still, what makes a JoJo's parts are its characters, and Josuke is a great lead with a great team around him.

5 - Golden Wind:
After a SUPER STRONG start, WOW at Naples and Italy as a setting, WOW at Giorno and Bucciarati as a team, we go on a wild ride through italy, with a fantastic vivid setting, out-of-this-world stand battles, great set pieces, and probably the series best villain/s, and also Fighting Gold is a Jack-loving-pot of an intro, all the pieces are there... but where did the character and humor go? This part feels all business, all the time. The gang feels like a set of great individuals, but where's the team dynamic? When this part tries to be funny and build character, it ends up with scenes like BREAKING NEWS: 6 MAFIA TEENAGERS BEAT RANDOM VENICE RESTAURANT GUEST TO NEAR DEATH AND LAUGH ABOUT IT. The characters are not forgettable but the part feels very... cold. From Part 3 and 4 I remember a feeling, but from this part I remember great action scenes. I don't feel like going back, I don't care about these characters, and while the ride is super enjoyable, I'm watching the characters from afar, kind of disconnected. Avdol and Iggy dying were absolute murder, but here when people die I feel nothing. It's a shame, it had all the pieces in place to be a world class experience, but now it's 'just' a very good shounen anime.

2 - Battle Tendency
Bringing Ultimate Style and Zero Substance in a tight, wild, flamboyant, overconfident and eXXXtreme package, this part does very little but does what it does super well. Joseph is a street magician with an ego 1000x times bigger than his skills and capacity, but manages to use his ego and sleight of hand to get himself through the craziest challenges any JoJo has the misfortune of facing. Ceasar and his death is the perfect partner to Joseph, forcing him to grow first by playing catch-up and then by rapidly maturing due to his own mistakes causing his beloved partner's death. And it has Speedwagon being in an eternal state of MIND BLOWN AT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! Unforgettable scenes include trying to kill a vampire by sticking a LinkedList of grenades to his back, reflecting a lazer beam with a shot glass, and just everything about Ultimate Kars and how he is defeated, just wow! To its detriment though, it is short, Super Sexist, is basically repeating the exact same plot as the previous part with the loving Stone Masks Again???, Hamon as a battle device runs out of steam fast, and while the Pillar Men are fantastic characters, they never rise beyond being just the villains of the week. They have no connection to any characters, there is no interpersonal drama. They are not Dio. I have trouble ranking this part, sometimes I want to place it a lot higher when just recalling all the awesome things about it, but to rank higher it would need a bit more meat to it, and not have some of its serious drawbacks. Still, Joseph's over-confident ultra-panicked struggle for survival against The Worst Odds Imaginable will stay with me forever.

6 - Stone Ocean
If part 5 was cold, this part is a permafrozen tundra. After a strong and exciting start, with Jolyne being a loving fantastic lead, and Jotaro appearing and being mind-swiped, the weight of the setting gives a dark shadow to the part that could lead to something very interesting. But instead it's... flying zero-grav piss balls, piss drinking, bloating, raining poison frogs, schlopping around in a damp swamp, what ever the f u c k Dragon's Dream was, a guy getting his body turned into a Dark Souls Mimic chest, chasing a bone that grows trees from dead serial killers that grows a monster baby that secret ritual 16 random words that... if Part 5 was all business, this part so far is all darkness and dreadfulness. It is a JoJo's horror movie, but just not pulled off nearly as well as it could be. I have to focus to separate the fantastic bits from the bad parts. The finale could still lift this a lot, but so far, well, yeah.

1 - Phantom Blood.
Dio. Oh, Dio. My dear Dio, you jumped out of that horse carriage posing like a loving baboon, and dove straight into my heart. Jonathan and Dio's rivalry is masterful. A beautiful and perfect way to start off on, and setting up Dio, the lord of all anime villains. The start from their childhood to Dio's vampirification and the battle in the burning mansion is just Perfect In Every Way, and grossly captivating. Following right after this, Baron Zeppeli appears and is well he is Baron Zeppeli and he punches frogs and he jumpkicks zombies without spilling wine and he is just a man's perfect dream. And the part's ending is shocking, thrilling, unexpected, brutal, sad and heartbreaking. But sadly, once all the set pieces are in place and the mid part kicks in, it's just run-of-the-mill poo poo. In fact, the mid part is entirely unforgettable, and other than a few great moments, dull enough to watch that I almost gave up on it. Thank god I didn't! In summary, a great starter to a great series, but filled with middling filler.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 8, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yinlock posted:

imo the most surreal manga-only thing is at the start of part 4 when Araki hasn't changed his art-style yet and everyone is just absurdly fuckin' buff for a few chapters

Tallmami is the best

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Tallmami is the best

Wow. What. Wow.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love how despite everything in his art style shifting, Koichi still stayed more or less the same across his pre-jojo work and part 4 stuff

Just grew and shrank a few feet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bisse posted:

Wow. What. Wow.

Early part 4 is a trip. Large Lads only. Except Koichi who actually never changed much.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 8, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tough guy part 4 is genuinely the weirdest style to look at nowadays, look at that guy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bisse posted:

Wow. What. Wow.
lol yeah. If you liked Tallmami and Hazamada up there you'll love part 3 style Josuke and Okuyasu

e: the style switch is very sudden too IIRC. One page they're part 3 style and suddenly the next they're in the part 4 style. I think it was mid-chapter too but I can't be bothered to go check rn

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol yeah. If you liked Tallmami and Hazamada up there you'll love part 3 style Josuke and Okuyasu

e: the style switch is very sudden too IIRC. One page they're part 3 style and suddenly the next they're in the part 4 style. I think it was mid-chapter too but I can't be bothered to go check rn

There IS an insanely abrupt style change from part 3 roidmonsters but there's also a more gradual transfer past that to part 5's svelte crime boys. It's probably why the adaptations just went with a consistant middle-ground.'

e: It actually happens around Surface, I think

e2: wait Tamami is also short by the start of Surface,. everyone's still kiiiinda buff though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 8, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Araki ever talked about the artstyle shift? Seems weird for it to happen so suddenly.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
At some point I think I read most of these books but I don't remember any of this. I only remember the gameboy gadget, because all the different tools were also working games you could play.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Araki ever talked about the artstyle shift? Seems weird for it to happen so suddenly.

I think he's said that the super grizzled buff dude art-style just didn't mesh with part 4 at all, that could just be hearsay though as I can't find an interview about it

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It is a crime we never got to see super buff Kira.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bisse posted:

2 - Battle Tendency
To its detriment though, it is Super Sexist

In regard to the Lisa Lisa vs. Pillar Men scenes towards the end, you could be VERY generous and read into things the following way: Kars is actually scared as poo poo of Lisa Lisa, because not only is she more powerful than Joseph and Kars already is uncertain about whether or not he can defeat him, but he has to cheat against her once the time comes for their fight because the alternative is fighting a Hamon master and THEN a guy who defeated three Pillar Men back to back. He just disguises his concern as chauvinism to try and act like he's just too big and bad to spend time on Lisa Lisa, which never gets so much as a rise out of her because she sees through it.

Of course, even if you give that scene that benefit of the doubt, there's still the scene where Caesar brainwashes his girlfriend(?) into fighting Joseph, followed by him sticking a live bird into her mouth, which is just... yep. These guys are the heroes. :psyduck:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

*walking through a concrete wall while chewing on solid granite* i wish to live quietly, like a plant

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

ChaseSP posted:

It's just not the same :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dumb jjba fan theory time: chariot requiem is an extension of silver chariot's speed boost. Silver chariot after blasting its armor off was fast enough to be nearly invisible when holding Polnareff up in the air at Tiger Balm Garden. It was also fast enough to be perceived as being in multiple places at once. Chariot requiem is silver chariot busting its own armor off a second time and gaining so much speed that it can go beyond just generating its own afterimages. It becomes so fast that it becomes a sphere of light that exists simultaneously behind just behind everyone's own center of perspective. The shadow causes the stands to attack their own users much like silver chariot was able to redirect Avdol's flames back at him. Just as Polnareff was able to have his stand move so fast that he could make himself appear to levitate, the power of requiem allows his stand to move souls around fast enough that everyone's perspective is swapped to another body. I cannot stretch today's dumb fan theory far enough to properly explain the monsters from other dimensions. The most I can argue there is that chariot requiem has achieved a speed so fast that it is attempting to shift and swap souls from other dimensions into this one. Chariot requiem is a little more powerful than a steadily-powered red hot chili pepper who, at enough electrical power, was able to do the afterimage thing while also being able to move Josuke without him noticing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yinlock posted:

There IS an insanely abrupt style change from part 3 roidmonsters but there's also a more gradual transfer past that to part 5's svelte crime boys. It's probably why the adaptations just went with a consistant middle-ground.'

There's a slightly more subtle (but still noticeable) jump between art styles in Steel Ball Run the moment Araki starts working on a monthly schedule.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bisse posted:

4 - Diamond is Unbreakable:
Also relies a lot on great characters to function. Okuyasu is my favourite dumb face dumbass ever, Rohan is just a trip how wildly narcissistic a person can be, and the-short-guy needs some serious therapy based on his dating skills. It has great battles and action scenes - the top one being breaking apart and reassembling the motorcycle to get past the stroller - however, I feel being stuck in one location really hurts it. More than any other part, it has a really uninspired villain-of-the-week feel, with the feeling it's just being dragged out with more villains plopping up until Araki feels like it's time to meet Kira. Dad-picture flying around arrowing things is just, ugh, so bad. The plot feels incoherent, it changes focus and drops threads all over the place. Still, what makes a JoJo's parts are its characters, and Josuke is a great lead with a great team around him.

I feel like the smaller area works in part 4's favor as Morioh is slowly filled with crazy characters and locations and landmarks. It's a community of total weirdos who can all pull together in a pinch.

Also the Dad Arrow Jamboree gave us iconic stuff like Rohan punching a child, Josuke making first contact and using it to cheat at dice, and every single panel of Highway Star. But I guess enjoyment of that depends on your personal tolerance for loving Around.

FirstAidKite posted:

Dumb jjba fan theory time: chariot requiem is an extension of silver chariot's speed boost. Silver chariot after blasting its armor off was fast enough to be nearly invisible when holding Polnareff up in the air at Tiger Balm Garden. It was also fast enough to be perceived as being in multiple places at once. Chariot requiem is silver chariot busting its own armor off a second time and gaining so much speed that it can go beyond just generating its own afterimages. It becomes so fast that it becomes a sphere of light that exists simultaneously behind just behind everyone's own center of perspective. The shadow causes the stands to attack their own users much like silver chariot was able to redirect Avdol's flames back at him. Just as Polnareff was able to have his stand move so fast that he could make himself appear to levitate, the power of requiem allows his stand to move souls around fast enough that everyone's perspective is swapped to another body. I cannot stretch today's dumb fan theory far enough to properly explain the monsters from other dimensions. The most I can argue there is that chariot requiem has achieved a speed so fast that it is attempting to shift and swap souls from other dimensions into this one. Chariot requiem is a little more powerful than a steadily-powered red hot chili pepper who, at enough electrical power, was able to do the afterimage thing while also being able to move Josuke without him noticing.

It's possible that Chariot is like early Star Platinum and Polnareff just had no fuckin clue what it's actual abilities were. Maybe it could always do the sleep thing.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 8, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

While Diamond is Unbreakable is my favorite part, I will admit that it does feel like it meanders a lot for the first half.

- Intro to Angelo: Establishes the plot, sets up the antagonists, connects to Stardust Crusaders, etc.
- Nijimura Bros.: Resolves the mystery of the Stand Arrow a bit more abruptly than one might expect, though RHCP steals it and hints at intending to use it for some purpose. More Stardust Crusaders tie-ins.
- The Lock: Encounter that doesn't do too much aside from set up Echoes' worst form. Doesn't even have a satisfactory conclusion!
- Surface: Hazamada doesn't really have much reason to not want Jotaro around, near as I can tell, and his partnership with RHCP is barely explored.
- Yukako: Arc is fun, but has no real bearing on anything that comes before or after. I guess if you want to be very generous, Act 2 is set up for Sheer Heart Attack (even though it will go on to be Echoes' most underused form) and Yukako will return again to set up Aya for the same arc, though Yukako sadly has no real purpose afterwards.
- Italian Food: Arc is very fun, but has no real bearing on anything that comes before or after. Tonio doesn't even really get to show up again! :(
- RHCP: Fun, but sudden abrupt conclusion to the story set up since the second story arc of DiU. The Stand Arrow is obtained, Akira is jailed, etc.
- Invisible Baby: Nice, low stakes bonding time arc between Josuke and his father.
- Manga Artist: Obviously important, but this one is more of a "Beginning of the second half" kind of story than part of the first half.
- Let's Go Hunting: The conclusion of the first half of the story, revealing that Akira's grand master plan that he murdered Keicho for... was shooting two rats and then letting the Bow and Arrow sit in his house unused. Why did he even want it!? Was having electric superpowers not entertaining enough on its own?

I still can't get over how underused Yukako is. The whole bit where she had to learn the rules of Stand Battles on the fly was neat. I also wasn't opposed to the idea of her hooking up with Koichi, but it would've been great if he wasn't basically the only thing she cared about (to the point where most of her dialogue in EoH and ASBR is only talking about him) and if she didn't seemingly romance him by subjecting him to what looks like brainwashing!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 8, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bisse posted:

I mean the anime has its strengths as well. DavidPro's use of sound and color is fantastic, not to mention the excellent voice acting.
Besides there's nothing stopping you from going back and reading the manga

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

While Diamond is Unbreakable is my favorite part, I will admit that it does feel like it meanders a lot for the first half.

- Intro to Angelo: Establishes the plot, sets up the antagonists, connects to Stardust Crusaders, etc.
- Nijimura Bros.: Resolves the mystery of the Stand Arrow a bit more abruptly than one might expect, though RHCP steals it and hints at intending to use it for some purpose. More Stardust Crusaders tie-ins.
- The Lock: Encounter that doesn't do too much aside from set up Echoes' worst form. Doesn't even have a satisfactory conclusion!
- Surface: Hazamada doesn't really have much reason to not want Jotaro around, near as I can tell, and his partnership with RHCP is barely explored.
- Yukako: Arc is fun, but has no real bearing on anything that comes before or after. I guess if you want to be very generous, Act 2 is set up for Sheer Heart Attack (even though it will go on to be Echoes' most underused form) and Yukako will return again to set up Aya for the same arc, though Yukako sadly has no real purpose afterwards.
- Italian Food: Arc is very fun, but has no real bearing on anything that comes before or after. Tonio doesn't even really get to show up again! :(
- RHCP: Fun, but sudden abrupt conclusion to the story set up since the second story arc of DiU. The Stand Arrow is obtained, Akira is jailed, etc.
- Invisible Baby: Nice, low stakes bonding time arc between Josuke and his father.
- Manga Artist: Obviously important, but this one is more of a "Beginning of the second half" kind of story than part of the first half.
- Let's Go Hunting: The conclusion of the first half of the story, revealing that Akira's grand master plan that he murdered Keicho for... was shooting two rats and then letting the Bow and Arrow sit in his house unused. Why did he even want it!? Was having electric superpowers not entertaining enough on its own?

I still can't get over how underused Yukako is. The whole bit where she had to learn the rules of Stand Battles on the fly was neat. I also wasn't opposed to the idea of her hooking up with Koichi, but it would've been great if he wasn't basically the only thing she cared about (to the point where most of her dialogue in EoH and ASBR is only talking about him) and if she didn't seemingly romance him by subjecting him to what looks like brainwashing!

The whole point of all the meandering is to set up the Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town as a community, it's a place where something weird and likely insanely dangerous is always going down but things always work out in the end. And then Mr. Serial Killer shows up and oh poo poo this guy isn't here for fun adventures at all, he's here to murder people

Again it depends on your loving Around Tolerance, imo loving Around is a vital component of Part 4

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 8, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DiU is very much about the journey and not the destination imo, Italian Food is great because it's just a thing that happens and doesn't really have any bearing on anything important!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah DiU and VA are basically polar opposites.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, don't get me wrong. Between DiU and VA, I'd definitely take more of DiU's battles that have no bearing on anything as opposed to VA being very business-focused with all of its plot points.

Some of my favorite parts of Jojolion were things like Milagro Man and Shakedown Road.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VA's great downfall was making everything about the plot and also not having a plot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Between DiU and VA, I'd definitely take more of DiU's battles that have no bearing on anything as opposed to VA being very business-focused with all of its plot points.

Some of my favorite parts of Jojolion were things like Milagro Man and Shakedown Road.

Yeah those two were the most DiU-like arcs and I wish Jojolion had more of that instead of automatic stand chases

Gappy was generally too responsible on his own and needed a real JoBro to get him into trouble but Joshu sucked and Rai shows up way too late. There's nobody to be like ":captainpop: OH SWEET FREE BINOCS" and that somehow leading to first contact

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jojolion is the only part I haven't read yet so hearing that it has "too many" automatic stand chases is wild to me considering Highway Star is probably in my top 3 arcs in the series

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Highway Star and Sheer Heart Attack are like the only good ones though. Going through the rest of the series they're by far what fade into the background the most for me, if the Jojo isn't fighting a guy who can make pins double in size and giving them a speech about the nature of 'Resolve' what is even the point?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's fair, those ones are just so good they're the ones I associate the concept with

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Black Sabbath was a pretty good automatic stand fight
Notorious B.I.G. too

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Anubis was an interesting automatic stand (if I'm using that term right). I find it interesting that he tried out the idea of an object being possessed by a stand once and then never revisited it, I guess he decided a boring old object having a stand was probably both too boring (object can't do anything, personality is all in the stand) and too complicated (now literally anything in the world could be a stand user lol)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think Araki got sick of the standard punch ghost type of fight and likes to use more curse or automatic kinds of stands instead. It sometimes leads to cool stuff like Ozone Baby but a lot of the time you get a Blue Hawaii which isn’t bad but feels unoriginal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hatty posted:

I think Araki got sick of the standard punch ghost type of fight and likes to use more curse or automatic kinds of stands instead. It sometimes leads to cool stuff like Ozone Baby but a lot of the time you get a Blue Hawaii which isn’t bad but feels unoriginal

After Part 7 had exactly one standard punchghost vs punchghost fight with Tusk Act 4 vs D4C (maybe 2, technically, if you count Tusk vs The World), this makes sense

e: actually, now that I think about it, The World is more like the "standard" punchghost fight and D4C is probably the technicality, lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There was that part at the end of the I Am A Rock fight where the guy tried to turn it into a punch ghost fight, but Josuke punched through the punch rush with a single punch and ended that poo poo real quick.

Pretty cool imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's alot of direct confrontations that don't have punch ghost Stands either though, like Boyz II Men is just two people doing rock paper scissors but still manages to ground it in a direct battle between the protagonist and antagonist. There's the odd automatic Stand that has a good horror movie concept but most of them lose *alot* from having no direct conflict and basically just being someone trying to figure out a curse

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arist posted:

Jojolion is the only part I haven't read yet so hearing that it has "too many" automatic stand chases is wild to me considering Highway Star is probably in my top 3 arcs in the series

I also love Highway Star, so it's pretty astonishing to me too.

Automatic chase stands aren't bad in of themselves, but they're rather impersonal. Highway Star got around that by leading off with Josuke and Rohan squabbling and the iconic "I REFUSE", but Part 8's kind of just happen. Trying to survive a supernatural force of nature until you get a chance to strike back is a compelling hook, but not 3-4 times.

The fights themselves aren't bad of course, but Jojolion's non-chase fights are typically stellar so it's kind of annoying when a chase starts up and you know this is going to be Jojolion for the next few months.

e:

hatty posted:

Ozon Baby is also a big exception yeah, though it's a very personal confrontation despite the automatic nature of the Stand and isn't just a chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anubis was an interesting automatic stand (if I'm using that term right). I find it interesting that he tried out the idea of an object being possessed by a stand once and then never revisited it, I guess he decided a boring old object having a stand was probably both too boring (object can't do anything, personality is all in the stand) and too complicated (now literally anything in the world could be a stand user lol)

Anubis is more of a Stand bound to an object.