Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I think the singing's gonna be subs-only even in the dub version so might as well just go with the subs*.

(*Though keep in mind that Ado, who sings the songs, does not voice Uta in the non-singing portions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also I think the singing's gonna be subs-only even in the dub version so might as well just go with the subs*.

(*Though keep in mind that Ado, who sings the songs, does not voice Uta in the non-singing portions)

I saw the dub and can confirm that the singing is subs-only.

Also, Red related spoilers, dub-Kizaru totally sounds like Garfield and I’m not even mad. It’s perfect for the character.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I didn't expect the world before the Void Century to be all super futuristic, that's actually a cool twist. It was possibly even more advanced than what's on Egghead now, so it seems like they were heavy into developing transmutational technology that lets people inherit and utilize all the current Devil Fruit powers that we see now. I guess we'll learn the method of inheritance from Vegapunk eventually but it is probably still so advanced that he can't replicate it fully. I'm still looking out for something like a haki field concept haha

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I still hear 4kids Sanji in my head sometimes

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dan Green Zoro was good tbh

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just got to 400 chapters, about halfway through the Enies Lobby arc.

God drat. What an arc so far. Gear 2, Robin’s backstory, Luffy declaring war on the world gov, so many great moments one after the other. So many pieces that have been stacking up all this time being woven together so effortlessly. The giants, the ponyglyphs, all these little marine characters coming back into the story. It’s incredible!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2022

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!
Yeah I love ⚙️ Gear 2 ♨️

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Dan Green Zoro was good tbh

He was pretty good, but his voice actor was Marc Diarcson, aka Guts, which is probably about as good of a choice as getting Piccolo to voice Sword Piccolo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

some of the 4kids VAs were alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirUi5cisis

and for some reason they inserted this scene where the music and ace's delivery makes it seem like he's macking on sanji which is pretty funny

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
To be honest I'm surprised Film Red has gotten the reaction that it did. I always thought that One Piece was third fiddle in the US compared to Naruto and Bleach. But even the screening I went to at the rinky dink local suburban theater had more people in it than I expected.

I guess a whole new generation of weebs has come up between now and when those three series were the marquee titles

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's gotten a much wider international release than the previous films, probably because there's been a bunch of other international successes recently with the demon slayer movie, the jjk movie, the dragon ball movies etc. - anime is just reasonably big and mainstream now in the west and distributors have caught up

but film red did particularly well in japan too, not only compared to other one piece films, idk why exactly

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shanks brings the hype.

Simple as that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ado is the biggest thing to hit japanese pop music in years. her debut song reached 100 million views on youtube in 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3b-RXtz4w

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
oh yeah ado giving it a gigantic boost makes sense

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

some of the 4kids VAs were alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirUi5cisis

and for some reason they inserted this scene where the music and ace's delivery makes it seem like he's macking on sanji which is pretty funny

Their Zoro was a bad joke machine. Honestly, now that there’s an actually decent dub, the 4Kids dub is kind of a treasure. Beyond the intro rap, which we always knew slapped, it’s just kind of fun to gawk at and wonder what exactly they were thinking.

https://youtu.be/dT7SBp4PYzM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mr. 1 vs zoro fight contains my favorite thing in the 4kids dub. an *added* drug reference. specifically after mr. 1 just decks him he goes 'did this guy eat a cursed fruit, or steroids?'

why did 4kids add this line. i guess steroids arent considered in the same class as like, fully illegal drugs, but its still a bizarre thing for them to add when they'd probably remove a line like that if it actually was in the original

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

My thoughts on Film: Red - It wasn't bad! Pretty fun if you are a fan of One Piece. I went with my wife, my friend and his girlfriend. Friend's GF was the only one who hadn't seen or ready anything One Piece related, and she thought it was fun with catchy songs! She also had NO idea what was going on; it was fun fielding her questions while we got tacos afterwards.

Still, I wouldn't bring a non-One Piece fan to see this movie. There's so much going on that you would need a degree in One Piece-ology to understand, not just in terms of "Who are all of these people?" but also central world concepts, like Devil Fruits and Transponder Snails as Mass Communication. I think they tried to do a thing where they gloss over it so quickly they hope people don't think to hard about it, but the newbie among us did ask "What was up with the snails?" after the movie.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wondering what the gently caress is going on with the snails with telephones sticking out of them is a quintessential part of the One Piece experience imo. They’re just weird little guys who get weirder and weirder since there’s freaking transponder sea slugs, and mini cell phone snails too. poo poo, it’s only a matter of time until you can download apps on one.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Spanish Matlock posted:

I SEE DUH RIVUH

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm honestly not really a fan of the current one piece dub. It's competent, but most of the performances feel soulless to me. I genuinely preferred the 4kids luffy, zoro and nami, as well as a bunch of the other vas.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Newbie: What are those transponder snails people use to talk to each other line phones?
Hardened OP veteran: They’re… they’re phone snails.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

i am tim! posted:

Still, I wouldn't bring a non-One Piece fan to see this movie. There's so much going on that you would need a degree in One Piece-ology to understand, not just in terms of "Who are all of these people?" but also central world concepts, like Devil Fruits and Transponder Snails as Mass Communication. I think they tried to do a thing where they gloss over it so quickly they hope people don't think to hard about it, but the newbie among us did ask "What was up with the snails?" after the movie.

I think you could get away with reading (or watching the equivalent of) the first couple of volumes, simply to get a better sense of the setting and basic character traits.

You still wouldn't recognize like over half the cast in the movie, but you can more or less figure out their roles in context.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Julias posted:

I'm honestly not really a fan of the current one piece dub. It's competent, but most of the performances feel soulless to me.

It's very The Anime Voice Actors Doing Anime Voices and it's kinda meh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hear an old Japanese woman voice Goku and I'm like "No, this is not right this is weird" but I hear another old Japanese woman voice Luffy and I'm like "yeah, that's Luffy"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Old Lady Goku is cool and good

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I don’t mind the current dub of One Piece, though there’s definitely times where it feels like they have more leeway with their performances than they normally do.

Jimbei’s dub voice, however, makes him sound like an NPC from King’s Quest 5. It’s not bad, but I cannot shake that notion from my head.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dub voices are fine especially considering funimation is working with like six dollars and a ham sandwich on budget

colleen clinkenbeard is a very good luffy, imho. they at least nailed that.

dub blackbeard was so weird, but so unique. rip to that guy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

i am tim! posted:

I don't think den den mushi are ever really explained in the manga. They're just kind of... there. You don't need someone to stop and say "you can use this snail as a telephone," you just see the characters sit down and do that and, well, that's all there is too it. It's great.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Eiba posted:

I don't think den den mushi are ever really explained in the manga. They're just kind of... there. You don't need someone to stop and say "you can use this snail as a telephone," you just see the characters sit down and do that and, well, that's all there is too it. It's great.

It IS great! What I mean is that, in the movie, you don't even really get that much. For the most part, the denden mushi in Film: Red are the sort that project images, and I don't remember them ever showing someone turning them on or anything, it's just suddenly there's an image on the wall and there's a snail in the room watching it with everyone else.

I don't think I even remember seeing a scene where someone uses a denden mushi like a normal phone at all, which is sad because my favorite part about the li'l guys is how they mimic the face of the person on the other side.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 8, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

anime was right posted:

colleen clinkenbeard is a very good luffy, imho. they at least nailed that.

really committing to the one piece naming system here

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I actually still think of Marc's Zoro as being a bit better than Sabat's, since even if there's nothing wrong with it that's basically just his Piccolo voice, y'know?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

It's based off the 1800s idea that snails are telepathic and then oda made it one piece-ified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasilalinic-sympathetic_compass

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Not to be rude but I think the dub Luffy is like nails on a chalkboard awful.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Doesn’t Franky just casually make some Den Den Mushis and says it’s no big deal? And then it happens off panel no explanation. :allears:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

i am tim! posted:

I don't think I even remember seeing a scene where someone uses a denden mushi like a normal phone at all, which is sad because my favorite part about the li'l guys is how they mimic the face of the person on the other side.

:same:
It's one of my favorite gags in the series. The super evil Doflamingo snail owns.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
big of fan smug trafalgar law snail from punk hazard

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The Worst Generation shitposting at the Emperors on their smart den den mushi

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Violen posted:

big of fan smug trafalgar law snail from punk hazard

This is my favourite one, because it briefly turns into Caesar when Law puts him on the phone to beg for his life, but it keeps wearing Law’s hat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

i am tim! posted:

Yeah I absolutely love this, and I love the denden mushi in general. Especially the sound they make when somebody picks up a call :allears:

I did love when the Tontatta set the denden mushi Usopp and Robin had free though, and were dancing with it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i am tim! posted:

I saw the dub and can confirm that the singing is subs-only.

Also, Red related spoilers, dub-Kizaru totally sounds like Garfield and I’m not even mad. It’s perfect for the character.

Brazilian Dub Kizaru and Franky are so bad