Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I wonder if you currently vacuum has enough power to make a little 2 stage system with a bucket and larger hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Calidus posted:

I wonder if you currently vacuum has enough power to make a little 2 stage system with a bucket and larger hose.

I've certainly seen beekeepers make bee vacuums this way with battery operated vacuums.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Would a leaf vac suck em.up?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Acorn is a little heavier than a bee....

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there such thing as a battery-powered vacuum (1-2 gal capacity) with a hose diameter >1.5"? We have a bastard of an oak tree in our back yard that shits acorns for 3-4 months straight and I've been having my kid use my Ryobi 2-gal battery vacuum to pick them up, but if they go in sideways, they can clog the hose up. Is there anything reasonable out there that's a 2" diameter, or will that just nuke my batteries even quicker?

Get a nut rake: https://www.acehardware.com/departm...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
We clearly should be designing an all terrain shop vac with some nice 10” pneumatic wheels and retractable cord.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Quadrotor Shop Vac aircaddy to completely avoid the terrain altogether

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

These work great. We use one for pecans and acorns. Way better than using the leaf vacuum.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Calidus posted:

Not a terrible idea, but it has to be easily portable around the yard. I've got a standard shop vac (1.5" diameter still), but dragging something like that around with an extension cord kinda sucks since we also have a fenced off pool area that the acorns get into as well.

tater_salad posted:

Would a leaf vac suck em.up?

I think they're probably a bit too heavy for a large-mouth leaf vac. I guess it would depend on the diameter, but I'd absolutely prefer a battery-operated solution.

I have that exact nut picker-upper, but that thing absolutely destroys my back after 15 mins or so since I have to give it a bunch of downward force to grab the acorns that have been walked into the turf. Plus, the acorns are oblong, so I have to roll it specifically in a perpendicular direction or else it doesn't grab them. And also when it grabs the cap to an acorn, it gets stuck in the wires and lets a bunch of acorns out :lol: I do use this in small batches, but the vacuum is so much more convenient for a large quantity. I pay my kid $40 per 5 gallon bucket he picks up, and I've been out probably close to $300 already paying him out.

Soul Dentist posted:

Quadrotor Shop Vac aircaddy to completely avoid the terrain altogether

The ROI of this would be incredibly fast as per my financial deal above.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's gas powered lawn vacuums that stick sufficiently heavy motors on a push or riding mower carriage if you really wanna get silly with it, but your kid's not getting paid by the hour so maybe reconsider whether clogs are your problem

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 8, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not a terrible idea, but it has to be easily portable around the yard. I've got a standard shop vac (1.5" diameter still), but dragging something like that around with an extension cord kinda sucks since we also have a fenced off pool area that the acorns get into as well.

I think they're probably a bit too heavy for a large-mouth leaf vac. I guess it would depend on the diameter, but I'd absolutely prefer a battery-operated solution.

I have that exact nut picker-upper, but that thing absolutely destroys my back after 15 mins or so since I have to give it a bunch of downward force to grab the acorns that have been walked into the turf. Plus, the acorns are oblong, so I have to roll it specifically in a perpendicular direction or else it doesn't grab them. And also when it grabs the cap to an acorn, it gets stuck in the wires and lets a bunch of acorns out :lol: I do use this in small batches, but the vacuum is so much more convenient for a large quantity. I pay my kid $40 per 5 gallon bucket he picks up, and I've been out probably close to $300 already paying him out.

you can get 40v leaf vacs but yeah.. I assumed it's going ot have toruble picking up an acorn

Roybi has had some shop vacs taht are 18v but I've heard they dont' run very long. Although looking now you can get a 40v shop vac as well.

40v Shop Vac 1 7/8 inch hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-10-Gal-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Kit-with-40V-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-40V-Charger-RY40WD01K/319360332

18V Shop vac. 1 7/8 inch hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-6-Gal-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Tool-Only-with-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Accessory-Kit-P770-A326G01N/320050223

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 9, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Calidus posted:

We clearly should be designing an all terrain shop vac with some nice 10” pneumatic wheels and retractable cord.

You're not thinking big enough, hydrovac truck. It will get the acorns/walnuts/grass/roots/soil picked up out of the yard, they have a lot of capacity so you could make some money back removing the neighbors yards too.

Remember to wear double hearing protection.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

You're not thinking big enough, hydrovac truck. It will get the acorns/walnuts/grass/roots/soil picked up out of the yard, they have a lot of capacity so you could make some money back removing the neighbors yards too.

Remember to wear double hearing protection.

Overkill when THIS will do

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tater_salad posted:

you can get 40v leaf vacs but yeah.. I assumed it's going ot have toruble picking up an acorn

Roybi has had some shop vacs taht are 18v but I've heard they dont' run very long. Although looking now you can get a 40v shop vac as well.

40v Shop Vac 1 7/8 inch hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-10-Gal-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Kit-with-40V-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-40V-Charger-RY40WD01K/319360332

18V Shop vac. 1 7/8 inch hose
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-6-Gal-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Tool-Only-with-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Accessory-Kit-P770-A326G01N/320050223

Hmm, that 18V on wheels looks exactly like what I could use, although I suppose there isn't a HUGE difference between 1.5 and 1.875", but it may be enough. Thanks! Looks like DTO has it for $80 factory reconditioned. Not bad.

That'd be incredible, but no ruts allowed in my newly-seeded lawn :colbert:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you’re paying the kid piecework, why do you care if he does it better/faster? If you’re gonna use child labour go all in and make him supply his own tools and buy his own fancy vacuum.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you’re paying the kid piecework, why do you care if he does it better/faster? If you’re gonna use child labour go all in and make him supply his own tools and buy his own fancy vacuum.

Better still, buy it and rent it to him. His union already bent you over with that $40 a bucket contract.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Finally got my warranty replacement EGO battery and whaddyaknow, everything is working great again. Thanks for yanking my chain around for 6 loving months EGO support :argh:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Better still, buy it and rent it to him. His union already bent you over with that $40 a bucket contract.

Just wait until that kid figures out he can put a smaller bucket in there upside down and fill it up twice as fast, with half as many acorns, and then is all like "hey dad, for an extra 10 bucks, I'll dump this out for you, hey yeah, nothing to see here I'll just dump it around the corner out of site from you".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I pay my kid $40 per 5 gallon bucket he picks up, and I've been out probably close to $300 already paying him out.

I am surprised he isn't inviting friends over at that rate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

I am surprised he isn't inviting friends over at that rate.

really no friend at all to be denying them that sweet sweet $20/bucket

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm tempted by knock-off third party Makita LXT batteries and accessories like chargers, but don't really know what risks may be involved. I got a third party battery for a Dyson vacuum cleaner and it's fine, I'm not expecting the advertised levels of performance from the Makita things and am not intending to use them professionally. Is this something I should steer clear of, or is the risk just that they might be a bit poo poo?

Examples:
- Charger: https://amzn.eu/d/7UrsfaK
- Batteries: https://amzn.eu/d/eYJWI9d

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm tempted by knock-off third party Makita LXT batteries and accessories like chargers, but don't really know what risks may be involved. I got a third party battery for a Dyson vacuum cleaner and it's fine, I'm not expecting the advertised levels of performance from the Makita things and am not intending to use them professionally. Is this something I should steer clear of, or is the risk just that they might be a bit poo poo?

Examples:
- Charger: https://amzn.eu/d/7UrsfaK
- Batteries: https://amzn.eu/d/eYJWI9d

Idk about Makita knockoffs, but I bought a pair of 6amp Ryobi knockoffs last year for $50, not quite but nearly chump change, and they've rocked steady so far.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe this just makes me a huge weenie, but I always ask myself how much of a deal I’ll feel like I’ve gotten if my home burns down due to a knockoff going apeshit.

I recognize this may not be the most typical of thoughts, and maybe it’s propaganda by Big Tool to make me think I need to buy theirs. But enough photos of incinerated garages I’ve seen through this forum have scared me off of knockoffs.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think I'd be super worried about the knock-off batteries, though I wouldn't leave them sitting in chargers while I'm away, but the knock-off chargers I'd definitely stay away from personally.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Habibi posted:

Maybe this just makes me a huge weenie, but I always ask myself how much of a deal I’ll feel like I’ve gotten if my home burns down due to a knockoff going apeshit.

I recognize this may not be the most typical of thoughts, and maybe it’s propaganda by Big Tool to make me think I need to buy theirs. But enough photos of incinerated garages I’ve seen through this forum have scared me off of knockoffs.

How do you feel about Teslas. That's a battery big enough to burn a house down. Anything running a Li-on battery is some degree of risky. I changed out a swollen phone battery a few months ago, and it ignited because I bent it. Nothing burnt down. I was extra cautious after that changing out a SurfaceBook battery which had the same problem, but, which is about 8x bigger.

I've also seen corded tools go haywire, due to user stupidity, like guys cutting their own cord using the tool being more common.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr. Mambold posted:

How do you feel about Teslas. That's a battery big enough to burn a house down. Anything running a Li-on battery is some degree of risky. I changed out a swollen phone battery a few months ago, and it ignited because I bent it. Nothing burnt down. I was extra cautious after that changing out a SurfaceBook battery which had the same problem, but, which is about 8x bigger.

I've also seen corded tools go haywire, due to user stupidity, like guys cutting their own cord using the tool being more common.

Tesla batteries go up in flames, imagine gray market knockoffs of questionable QA, or just as likely failing QA being sold.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

deimos posted:

Tesla batteries go up in flames, imagine gray market knockoffs of questionable QA, or just as likely failing QA being sold.

Does help if they have an Underwriters Labs approval I guess....as long as that's not a knockoff too. :thejoke:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I picked this up and it's loving perfect for picking up my acorns. I did my whole back yard (7-8 gallons) in like 45 minutes. Saved myself $60 for not paying my kid out and doing it myself. I didn't get any clogs whatsoever, so the 1-7/8" diameter hose is perfect. I get about 3.75 minutes per Ah of battery, so I only used about 12Ah of battery to clean my whole backyard up. I love how I can just tug the hose to pull it around, rather than constantly picking up my smaller one.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

not disputing the overall point you’re making here, but for the record:

Mr. Mambold posted:

How do you feel about Teslas.

not good at all, tbh

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Habibi posted:

not disputing the overall point you’re making here, but for the record:

not good at all, tbh

Probably better for your peace of mind to stay name brand for a few :10bux: more :clint: and not worry.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyone got an idea what the line on the 80deg and 5" mark is for?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

anyone got an idea what the line on the 80deg and 5" mark is for?

I think it's for making a 90 degree mark in the middle of a board.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/57e36f82/files/uploaded/SpeedSquareInstructionBook2.pdf
Pdf page 10/23 shows the practical use

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah it's there for rafter birds mouth cuts. You can't use the normal 90 degree edge because of the lip on the speed square.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
For those of you in the midwest Runnings has a big Dewalt sale going on. Almost every bare tool comes with a free 5AH battery. Smaller tools like lights come with a free 2AH battery. Most of the FlexVolt batteries are on sale and I picked up a powerstack for $59.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hardspace: Nutraker

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
How bad are the harbor freight tap and die sets for just light duty/cleaning threads? This one is on pretty good sale, and with their warranty if (when) they break I can just swap it out, but am I just asking for trouble? Guess the cheap SAE set is only $20 too, haven't run into much metric thread stuff around the house.

https://www.harborfreight.com/sae-m...00aAhD4EALw_wcB

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No worse than the big box store/Irwin/whatever sets. Chase away. You can even thread a few things with them before they're too dull to use anymore.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bob Mundon posted:

How bad are the harbor freight tap and die sets for just light duty/cleaning threads? This one is on pretty good sale, and with their warranty if (when) they break I can just swap it out, but am I just asking for trouble? Guess the cheap SAE set is only $20 too, haven't run into much metric thread stuff around the house.

https://www.harborfreight.com/sae-m...00aAhD4EALw_wcB

I use that set or a similar one I bought years ago for chasing threads and threading soft plastic like PVC. I'd be scared on aluminum or similar. No complaints.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The rule is to buy one of those sets, and then when one of them breaks buy a quality replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Noted, good to hear. Is it handy to have both standard & metric, or should I be better off going with this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/specialty-hand-tools/tap-die-sets/carbon-steel-sae-tap-and-die-set-40-piece-62831.html