Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't know how they'll introduce the Death Devil without it being an unbeatable Primal Devil beyond even the Darkness Devil.

It could be tied into the fact that Death wasn't originally the only state of after life. Even if people forgot Chainsaw Man is a world where it used to only be one option.

It probably got way more powerful after Chainsaw ate the rest but not darkness powerful. There is also the fact people just don't seem *that* scared of dying in the world. Scared but like extremely blaise about a horrible monster murdering four of their classmates

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Gotta think that death as a devil isn't quite as powerful as you'd think. Many people yearn for death as escape, many think of dying peacefully at the end of a long life, there are cultures and religions where death is not the end.

If chainsaw man can be weakened by becoming a super hero, death is probably getting really annoyed at all the evangelical christians trying to bring about the rapture

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
What if the states other than death are like, afterlifes and reincarnation? We know hell exists but it’s just devils living there, and we only know about devils reincarnating. If death is the only certainty, it could be possible that people are less afraid of death since they aren’t worried about what comes next. I could see death being stronger or weaker.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Death is the biggest X factor in Chainsaw man for me. It could be the biggest primal devil antagonist around but I could also see Death being the most benevolent. Since its competition has been eliminated, all humans meet death which gives it the most personal connection to humanity. It also doesn't have to worry about fading from public conciseness anytime soon.

I also wonder sometimes if the chainsaw devil has a more direct connection to the death devil. The ability to wipe something from existence feels like a power that should be associated with death. So maybe the chainsaw devil is actually the death devil or perhaps it ate the death devil first which then gave it the ability to wipe out other devils by eating them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc the other states of death were an oblique William Blake reference

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

graham cracker posted:

So Denji is Naota, Chainsaw Man is Atomsk, and Makima is Haruko gotcha.

Correct.

Fujimoto outright said this was a dark FLCL (or a pop Abara). Denji even kills his dad!

(Well, Naota in the anime only thinks he killed his dad, but he does it for real in the manga, so that's close enough for government work.)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's a lot of religions that give people reasons not to fear death, but managing and soothing that fear is one reason those religions are the way they are (Terror Management Theory is probably not true, but it's fun). Given the use of the four horsemen theme on top of that I think if Death is anything but extraordinarily powerful it's probably because something (like Chainsaw Man) intervened to make her that way.

Got to wonder where she is, though. Still in Hell?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peel posted:

There's a lot of religions that give people reasons not to fear death, but managing and soothing that fear is one reason those religions are the way they are (Terror Management Theory is probably not true, but it's fun). Given the use of the four horsemen theme on top of that I think if Death is anything but extraordinarily powerful it's probably because something (like Chainsaw Man) intervened to make her that way.

Got to wonder where she is, though. Still in Hell?

Who is surrounded by death and yet always escapes? Whose possessions manage to cause death even in the hands of another? Who is a terrifyingly effective killer despite seeming inoccuous? Who has a mysterious contract that hasn't been revealed?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vise the Stompy posted:

I also wonder sometimes if the chainsaw devil has a more direct connection to the death devil. The ability to wipe something from existence feels like a power that should be associated with death. So maybe the chainsaw devil is actually the death devil or perhaps it ate the death devil first which then gave it the ability to wipe out other devils by eating them.

Pochita and the Death Devil were A Thing and he ate all the other alternate fates to juice up his gf

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

PringleCreamEgg posted:

What if the states other than death are like, afterlifes and reincarnation? We know hell exists but it’s just devils living there, and we only know about devils reincarnating. If death is the only certainty, it could be possible that people are less afraid of death since they aren’t worried about what comes next. I could see death being stronger or weaker.

I think those and the other weird stuff like the insanity star are just urban legends that took on a life of their own due to the appearance of devils. The devils are based on human perceptions, not necessarily things that actually existed

That's probably also why the story takes place in 1997: the growth of global communications is magnifying the power of devils

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in this setting, devils have always been around (as far as anyone knows). but when there's a dude/dog/logging tool erasing bits of reality, 'always' is a rather tenuous concept.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Flavahbeast posted:

That's probably also why the story takes place in 1997: the growth of global communications is magnifying the power of devils

The Conspiracy Devil was once pretty weak and niche, but now...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If Yuko gets pressganged into the state Devil Hunters as a fiend, will Kobeni be her cool senpai?

Yuko and Kobeni would make for some potentially amazing sociopathic comedy writing.

Kobeni *continues sweating profusely*

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in this setting, devils have always been around (as far as anyone knows). but when there's a dude/dog/logging tool erasing bits of reality, 'always' is a rather tenuous concept.

my theory is Hell is the creation machine from The Forbidden Planet but the astronauts who found it and turned it on all died and devils can't usually leave Hell without losing their memories so only primordial devils like Darkness remember what happened

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The Conspiracy Devil was once pretty weak and niche, but now...

drat you, Fox Mulder! You doomed us all!

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean, chainsaw man ate the concept of 'ww2' and 'nazis' out of existence. The sheer contortions current, logical, history must have undergone to endure would give rise to conspiracy theories and such.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
maybe yoshida is watching denji to stop him from getting a girlfriend so he doesn't eat pussy out of existence

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

Context: Fujimotos twitter account where he pretends to be his own (fictional) younger sister got in trouble so he made a new account

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Wouldn’t it be convenient if Twitter had some sort of way to verify that an account actually belonged to the person it purported to belong to? Do you think Elon Musk could find a way to implement such a marvellous innovation?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Amazing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tentenchan4545/status/1591327634914705408?t=oNwGJn-VVT-mHpd6Fzcq2Q&s=19

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jerkface posted:

Gotta think that death as a devil isn't quite as powerful as you'd think. Many people yearn for death as escape, many think of dying peacefully at the end of a long life, there are cultures and religions where death is not the end.

Zoomers were the end of Death Devil

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

goblin week posted:

Zoomers were the end of Death Devil

Have zoomers started being born yet in 1997?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Jerkface posted:

maybe yoshida is watching denji to stop him from getting a girlfriend so he doesn't eat pussy out of existence

now that's what i call lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was just rereading chapter 21 in preparation for the anime's version of Denji's First Kiss, and I noticed something a little bit interesting.

Denji wakes up on Himeno's bed. She leans over. Kisses him again...

And then is surprised to see Denji there.

Now, some of that is just her being incredibly drunk. But she seems to assume that someone to drunkenly make out with in her bed is perfectly normal. It being Denji is the weird bit.

We also know from a bonus comic that Aki comes over to drink every week, more or less.

I'm not saying that this confirms previous working theories. I'm just saying it's more evidence for the pile.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Removed for reasons stated below, my bad I was unaware.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2022

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
i know this isn't immediately clear, but that twitter account just reposts other people's work and only credits in the replies, i think it's better to post the original artist's tweet when possible!!

original post is here: https://twitter.com/nox3Dartist/status/1590850986519629824?t=6pd1XnCx9OBFUHDISF3Qsw&s=19

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chap
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014642

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Huh. I wonder what's going on there.

Also, the tiniest of tiny Nayuta cameos!

sube
Nov 7, 2022

RIP Yuko

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What a cliff hanger

I knew there was something off about all the panels featuring birds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrashScreen posted:

Huh. I wonder what's going on there.

Also, the tiniest of tiny Nayuta cameos!

My bet, based on nothing.

Chainsaw Woman.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

what a waste of a perfectly good weapon

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

My bet, based on nothing.

Chainsaw Woman.

Well we did just see a mysterious lady with chainsaw earrings??? Maybe she (if she’s a horseman or not) has a copycat ability

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My bet, also based on nothing

Chainsaw Man fanatic devil hunters that wear CSM helmets

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Well we did just see a mysterious lady with chainsaw earrings??? Maybe she (if she’s a horseman or not) has a copycat ability

I could see The Fear of Being Replaced Devil having some copycat ability

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also not for nothing but the Justice devil is at the school, which explains a lot of 2 different students made a pact

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Denji is the Chainsaw Devil. This is clearly the chainsawman devil :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdMcoKNtwc