Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can't wait for this to be updated on Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo that chapter :stwoon:

Holy loving poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

WE'RE GOIN TO ELBAF

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
legit tears in my eyes at Saul being confirmed alive and Robin’s reaction, One Piece owns y’all. And wow, an organically introduced reason to go to Elbaf!

Also Dragon’s older than I though he’d be

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Last Celebration posted:

One Piece owns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

WE'RE GOIN TO ELBAF

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scholtz posted:

Can't wait for this to be updated on Sunday

Fun fact:

people have been predicting this for a while https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/3kr5ti/jaguar_d_saul_is_definitely_still_alive_has_this/

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
think i'm a little more tentative on this than you guys. some weird plot things open up with these revelations. i suppose oda will explain why saul never bothered to try and contact robin at some point, but now i'm perplexed as to why dragon wouldn't tell robin about ohara's grand work being preserved during their two years together. that feels like it'd need to be adequately explained in a way i'm struggling to picture to not feel like a weird plot hole to me.

this arc is mostly hits in terms of character design and vegapunk is no exception, but robin and nami are definitely misses that i would like to see changed asap. such a heartfelt moment is going to look extra strange in the anime as they pan a full body shot of her standing around in the most absurd outfit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece is very good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dragon didn't tell Robin because if she knew, she'd probably gun right for it and get herself Actually Buster Called in the process.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i have to meme the emotions away because this beautiful motherfucker spent more time dead than the entire manga run of naruto

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Dragon didn't tell Robin because if she knew, she'd probably gun right for it and get herself Actually Buster Called in the process.

Yeah, and now she's basically one of the most powerful people in the world in a crew that includes some of the other most powerful people in the world and potentially THE most powerful person in the world in Luffy, they've destroyed two of the most dangerous threats in Kaido and Big Mom, the Navy/World Government are wary of coming after her unless it's in the middle of complete chaos and they think they can sneak in, and she's in a far stronger position to go to Elbaf and review the histories that honor the last actions of her first family. It rules so much.

Re: Vegapunk: Absolutely love his design, it seems that he literally scooped out his giant brain and put it into multiple bodies which is why they all basically seem to experience/be aware of all the same things while having distinctive personalities/dominant traits. Absolute madness, it's the best!

ELBAF! :woop:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MorningMoon posted:

i have to meme the emotions away because this beautiful motherfucker spent more time dead than the entire manga run of naruto

One Piece spoilers in the Pokemon thread lmaooooo (it's ok I have been switching between the same two threads all night too)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ha ha ha so Elbaf backwards is Fable and we're going to go there to retrieve books detailing a time long ago remembered in legend

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
perhaps oda will pull it off better than i could imagine but dragon not telling robin about saul's life or ohara's work being saved because he thought she would act upon that knowledge impulsively does not really sound satisfying at all to me. it feels unnecessarily cruel, and would indicate that dragon couldn't pick up on the basics of her character even when spending 2 years together. robin flat out wouldn't do that, she outright agreed with rayleigh to approach this history methodically.

it's an outrageously absurd coincidence she's even learning this now. like 2 weeks ago, in universe, they were one nika nika fruit awakening from legit just being dead. how could he possibly have known or gambled on the fact that the strawhats would be so outrageously successful that they'd be able to survive in the new world until they finally met vegapunk of all people

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I think you're overestimating what Dragon knows here. He doesn't know Saul, or the giants, and only had a small conversation with them to confirm they weren't bandits or something. From his perspective, he doesn't even know if there is anything of value that survived, and it's unlikely he knew that Vegapunk went to Elbaf to check it out.

The only things Dragon could have actually told Robin with 100% confidence are "I knew Clover, he was a friend" and "I visited Ohara after the incident, and some Giants were recovering waterlogged books from the Tree of Knowledge".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone know when the chapter Dr. Vegapunk first gets name-dropped was originally released? It just blows my mind how like it's taken a decade or two, but the reveal is finally here.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just realized Elbaf backwards is Fable

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does anyone know when the chapter Dr. Vegapunk first gets name-dropped was originally released? It just blows my mind how like it's taken a decade or two, but the reveal is finally here.

433, so about 15 years ago

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Koby was the first person to mention Vegapunk by name, in the chapter after Enies Lobby where he tells Luffy how the Marines are able to get through the Calm Belt

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Welp its finally happened. I'm finally convinced we are in fact going to Elbaf.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Where's the P, Oda? Why are you always framing this to hide the 'P'?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ok so the song "binks sake" is old as hell.
and the P keeps getting blocked.
and the ancient kingdom is old as hell, but had futuristic technology.
what if binks sake is a funk song, released by Funk Records

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, what a crazy chapter

Vegapunk's design is way more out-there than I was expecting, but I love it. Especially when he showed up at the end of the chapter, with just a completely empty skull. Based on the "memorizing all the books" and "I see your head has grown" thing, I'm guessing it's a thing where he has an eidetic memory, and in wacky One Piece physics that means his brain is constantly getting bigger :v:

Saul being alive is Cool and Good and I believe it. Robin getting the spotlight, as well as the giants, is unexpected but very cool. We are definitely going to Elbaf, maybe sooner than I thought, this could be a short arc where they get chased away by CP0 and a bunch of Seraphim.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Watch that theory that Dragon is also Robin's dad end up being true.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

bobjr posted:

Strawhats' smartest member and Strawhats' dumbest member being (probably half-)siblings would be great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bobjr posted:

She does sort of bare a slight resemblance to Dragon and Luffy (I think it would match up with what little we’ve heard about her father as well).

Anyway good chapter, we finally meet the real Vegapunk and the crew now has a legitimate reason to go to Elbaf

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i can't believe some of you doubted that there'd be an elbaf arc eventually, it's been teased as a future destination for over 20 years lol. what is cool is that we're surely going there next (though really, where else could things go now that we're heading towards the end, it seemed pretty inevitable that the final road poneglyph would end up being there, which isn't yet confirmed but that has to be where things are heading)

LanceKing2200 posted:

I think you're overestimating what Dragon knows here. He doesn't know Saul, or the giants, and only had a small conversation with them to confirm they weren't bandits or something. From his perspective, he doesn't even know if there is anything of value that survived, and it's unlikely he knew that Vegapunk went to Elbaf to check it out.

The only things Dragon could have actually told Robin with 100% confidence are "I knew Clover, he was a friend" and "I visited Ohara after the incident, and some Giants were recovering waterlogged books from the Tree of Knowledge".

i mean dragon isn't necessarily going to have known who saul is, but he outright says in this chapter that the giants were aware of the value of the books - it's pretty weird that he didn't mention any of this to robin and i hope we do get a good explanation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It looks like overall Vegapunk is also out to change the world government, but from the inside rather than the outside like Dragon. He also seems fairly decent, I wonder what the reason he did the thing to kuma was.

My thoughts

1. Simplest and most obvious, by turning kuma into brainless borg he would deflect suspicion from himself, Kuma might have been for it as a sacrifice play

2. Some sort of intricate trap plan using his brain-body techhnology and Kuma's conciousness is in some other form than his original frame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

It looks like overall Vegapunk is also out to change the world government, but from the inside rather than the outside like Dragon. He also seems fairly decent, I wonder what the reason he did the thing to kuma was.

My thoughts

1. Simplest and most obvious, by turning kuma into brainless borg he would deflect suspicion from himself, Kuma might have been for it as a sacrifice play

2. Some sort of intricate trap plan using his brain-body techhnology and Kuma's conciousness is in some other form than his original frame.

What if Kuma's consciousness is in the Seraphim

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
after all this i think it either has to have been a noble sacrifice by kuma that achieved some greater objective for the revolutionaries (more than just 'proving vegapunk's loyalty' because while vegapunk is sympathetic to them it doesn't sound like he's been directly working as a deep cover agent or anything), or kuma's consciousness is secretly still around somewhere (possibly in the kuma seraphim that cp0 have since they described it as a problem?)

do wonder if the reason vegapunk's artificial fruit was considered a failure was just because he didn't want to give it to the government

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lih posted:

do wonder if the reason vegapunk's artificial fruit was considered a failure was just because he didn't want to give it to the government

Still holding out hope it's as simple as "It's supposed to be blue, not pink! Throw it in the garbage!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, I know we've had the satellites for a bit, but....it's Vegapunk! It's goddamn Vegapunk!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Cloks posted:

Where's the P, Oda? Why are you always framing this to hide the 'P'?

omg Sunk Records

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My only issue with all of this it feels like a little too much blatant exposition. That was a lot of information dumped onto us through the straw hats literally being a captive audience. The scenario makes sense and all, and it's all stuff we need to get through, but I can't help but imagine there's a world where we have more time and it comes out a little more naturally somehow.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

perhaps oda will pull it off better than i could imagine but dragon not telling robin about saul's life or ohara's work being saved because he thought she would act upon that knowledge impulsively does not really sound satisfying at all to me. it feels unnecessarily cruel, and would indicate that dragon couldn't pick up on the basics of her character even when spending 2 years together. robin flat out wouldn't do that, she outright agreed with rayleigh to approach this history methodically.

it's an outrageously absurd coincidence she's even learning this now. like 2 weeks ago, in universe, they were one nika nika fruit awakening from legit just being dead. how could he possibly have known or gambled on the fact that the strawhats would be so outrageously successful that they'd be able to survive in the new world until they finally met vegapunk of all people

I think not telling people things is intentionally being presented as a character flaw of Dragon. He didn’t tell Sabo or Ivankov what really happened to Kuma, after all. (OK, it’s theoretically possible that Dragon and Vegapunk hadn’t been in touch for a while, but someone else in this thread pointed out Dragon’s guilty reaction when Ivankov talks to him about Kuma.)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

My only issue with all of this it feels like a little too much blatant exposition. That was a lot of information dumped onto us through the straw hats literally being a captive audience. The scenario makes sense and all, and it's all stuff we need to get through, but I can't help but imagine there's a world where we have more time and it comes out a little more naturally somehow.

my guess is hes telling them this because he thinks the strawhats are the only people that can change anything since he failed from the inside and hes going to die soon.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Turns out that cutting your brain into several pieces? Not great for your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

anime was right posted:

my guess is hes telling them this because he thinks the strawhats are the only people that can change anything since he failed from the inside and hes going to die soon.

I agree, I think Vegapunk is certain that the world government is going to take him out, and soon, and he is putting his dreams, his hopes, his will into the next generation as well. And Luffy is Dragon's son and Dragon and Vegapunk have some sort of positive relationship so it makes sense.