Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

dont forget to jump on a grande for your pal elon

they're both so goddamn dumb lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Beeftweeter posted:

also i'm not sure

lol

let me see if i have this right.

• reduce headcount to increase revenue
  • (partially) eliminate wfh to further reduce headcount

This part is even dumber. It's literally "reduce headcount by 70% without affecting revenue in any way, so the revenue per head is in line with Google.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This part is even dumber. It's literally "reduce headcount by 70% without affecting revenue in any way, so the revenue per head is in line with Google.

i feel like i should note youtube has like 2 billion active users vs something like 200 million for twitter

you know, completely ignoring the other parts of their business

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the only reason we hear so much about twitter and not about youtube is that journalists are on twitter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
journalists are, by and large, the worst

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bump_fn posted:

the only reason we hear so much about twitter and not about youtube is that journalists are on twitter

well i mean its also much easier to copy a bunch of text with an intentionally limited character count

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

journalists are, by and large, the worst

professional journalists were fine. The problem is that journalism has become a field dominated by hobbyists because theres so little money in it now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

rotor posted:

professional journalists were fine. The problem is that journalism has become a field dominated by hobbyists because theres so little money in it now.

point stands. seems like all the good journalists are old as balls or deaed

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Beeftweeter posted:

well i mean its also much easier to copy a bunch of text with an intentionally limited character count

Nah, Facebook totally says videos get 50x the impressions

Definitely real numbers that won't devastate an entire industry

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

all i can think of... idk, introducing the new, hardcore CEO of twitter

honestly he'd do a better job

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/Ron4California/status/1590854705642864640

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

dope, when does twitter release permadeath mode

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

dope, when does twitter release permadeath mode

heres ur posting helmet

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

*Me, menacingly* I'm about to dig these libs a grave

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy loly

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I don't know Elon... this doesn't sound like what actually want to be saying about privacy at your other companies

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590992955028176896?s=20&t=Ks6oete3j_ysqHtKMgm1jw

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

"also guys we're a bank now" - smart man

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590974046971523073?s=20&t=zMqpNkGLOT_mNcm9PpfOjA

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
absolutely delusional

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i hope the people’s liberation army takes control of the people’s financial institution of twitter in the name of the people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

refleks posted:

I don't know Elon... this doesn't sound like what actually want to be saying about privacy at your other companies

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590992955028176896?s=20&t=Ks6oete3j_ysqHtKMgm1jw

what about the first mile :thunk:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Matt Levine sighs: "I picked the wrong day to quit drinking"

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Lead out in cuffs posted:

of all the dumb things this is what got me most. I know he mostly got lucky in the first dotcom boom, but I would have thought that 20+ years in VC stuff would make anyone realize that headcount might actually be linked to revenue and that morale is a thing. “just reduce the denominator and boom free money”

at least we got the mahalo pint-of-bourbon-old-fashioned out of him being an idiot

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i will simply open two twitter accounts. borrow at the low low rate on the first one, then put the money on the other to earn interest at the highest interest rate in the world as promised by elon

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

reemember when the 140 limit was because that was the max that coudl fit in an SMS or something

Instead of 140 chars, Musk will limit people to the 14 words

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EricBauman posted:

i will simply open two twitter accounts. borrow at the low low rate on the first one, then put the money on the other to earn interest at the highest interest rate in the world as promised by elon

I think he means "lower than competitors" so like, lower than the api on a credit card

but of course much like his paypal idiocy, this will end up with huge amounts of loan delinquency, not to mention kyc and financial crime issues that he is literally too dumb to have thought of

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
nonce d’elon: Chief Twit & Product Designer @ $8chan Boer Stearns

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think he means "lower than competitors" so like, lower than the api on a credit card

but of course much like his paypal idiocy, this will end up with huge amounts of loan delinquency, not to mention kyc and financial crime issues that he is literally too dumb to have thought of
it reads like that games console Kickstarter video that dude did years ago where he's like "and it will have the best graphics and 10 GPUs that will be 50x faster than everything else and you type in what you want to play and the game console will generate the game for u oh yeah and it will only cost like $99"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
oh my loving god

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the past two weeks seems demonstrative of, "does he think at all?"

if he didn't externalise all of his destructive tendencies with lots of blood emeralds, he would simply be a sad, old man trying to be popular on the internet

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Just quoting myself less than 24 hours ago

refleks posted:

something is going to explode within 24 hours. it has been for-seen by Matt Levine and him taking a day off:

quote:

Programming note: Money Stuff will be off tomorrow, back on Monday. I realize I say that a lot, but I’m saying it again.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

in the display name? he's not thinking big enough. make it an X icon and charge $8 for it

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

hell yeah pimp

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao that this basically started because that guy was all :qq: why don't i get a checkmark i'm important :qq:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1591049423236509698

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

checks? loving checks??

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

guy's obsessed with checks, am i rite folks

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Dean: It's on!
Hank: It's off!
Hank: Off!
Dr. Venture: That's called 'blinking', boys...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
good morning mods :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

wonder if The Case Of The Flickering Greycheck is less frantic lever-pulling and more the death rattle of some caches deep inside the Twitter stack