Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

fourwood posted:

This forum would be a better place if you were actually good at providing any!

This seems to basically be where it’s heading, which is good and all but increases the odds dramatically that none of this is resolved before the roof is a foot deep in snow.

As others have indicated, this is not a problem that can be Fixed Fast. You need to have legal proof that it is your responsibility to fix it before a legit contractor will touch it, and you should not attempt to do it yourself. You should also have any paperwork provided by your HSA stating that it is your responsibility reviewed by a lawyer before accepting it as proof.

Get your HOA documents, find a lawyer with HOA experience, and be prepared for a legal fight. I know it sucks, but it is your best way forward.

Edit: Added quote for context due to crappy page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna cut in and read between the lines and say that OP has not actually done more than spoken to one person on the HOA, and has not talked to the neighbor at all, and should attempt to get everyone talking to each other amicably for at least 24-48 hours before escalating by hiring a lawyer. I'm doubtful that this will work but it could save a lot of money so it's worth genuinely trying it.

The key thing in this communication is to clearly state that you do not, in fact, believe that you are responsible for this problem, that this is clearly not the case according to the HOA docs (which OP needs to read) as well as not making any sense, and that you have been advised not to touch anything or attempt to mitigate anything because that could create liability.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna cut in and read between the lines and say that OP has not actually done more than spoken to one person on the HOA, and has not talked to the neighbor at all,
I’m basically bailing on this, but to just chime in to point out how this is wrong because it’s actually “has spoken to a voting-majority of the board and also the neighbor”. But posters’ general eagerness yet inability to accurately read between the lines is what got this mess going in the first place, so I’ll keep on keeping on with what I’m already doing (consulting the HOA and the neighbor! Talking to professionals! Reading my condo docs!) and leave it out of the thread. At least y’all are nice about it, instead of missing the point and being insufferable like some people. I just wanted a rundown of a possible option that’s been floated by the board, neighbor, and HVAC professional. I get that nobody here wants to suggest something, which is fine.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2022

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

fourwood posted:

I’m basically bailing on this

Bailing like removing water from a boat? I think you should fix the roof issue, then you wouldn't need to bail anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Keep digging!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

fourwood posted:

I’ll keep on keeping on with what I’m already doing (consulting the HOA and the neighbor! Talking to professionals! Reading my condo docs!) and leave it out of the thread.

This is the correct course of action with the best potential outcome for everyone involved. Keep in mind while your working through this that what the HOA board says doesn't matter one bit. What's written in the legal documents forming the HOA is what matters, and you may have to resort to legal action to get them to hold up their end of the agreement if they are reluctant to spend the money. Your attorney will be able to help determine if this is needed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ok, we're done. Updates welcome on outcomes.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Just right along the edge? there is about a half inch deep, half inch long space between the paneling and the concrete. Should I put anything there? Previous owner just covered that up with the baseboard.

Nah, just right where the wood meets the concrete. In modern builds, they'd put this down between the wood and the concrete, but that wasn't done in the past. You're just looking to replicate this w/ caulk

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Need to apply more caulk around basement vinyl windows set in concrete. What would be the type of caulk to use between the concrete and window frame? Thanks!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used silicone caulk, just be sure that the concrete is clean and dry

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've never been responsible for a gas furnace before and it's finally getting cold. I just checked and the pilot light is still burning from last winter. Am I good to just turn on the heat, or am I gonna blow myself up somehow?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Lester Shy posted:

I've never been responsible for a gas furnace before and it's finally getting cold. I just checked and the pilot light is still burning from last winter. Am I good to just turn on the heat, or am I gonna blow myself up somehow?

Yeah go nuts.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lester Shy posted:

This is what pilot lites are for; being ready to kick off the main fire when it is time to do so.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, how old is your furnace?

When we bought this house in 1992, it had a 1978 Borg-Warner 75% efficient gas unit and it had an electric ignitor for the pilot.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's the point of an impact driver, is it worth having one (in addition to a drill) as an occasional DIY / casual hobbyist / homeowner type person?

I recently got a nice cordless drill with a clutch to replace my dead-simple corded drill and it's so amazing for driving in screws (and drilling ofc). The clutch works just fine for getting fasteners into the right depth. Just now I was gifted a matching impact driver and all I know is it's a little more controlled for putting in fasteners? I can see why it'd be nice for a pro, but if I'm a casual and the drill is good enough for me, do I really need one? I'm just not sure I want the extra clutter of an additional tool I don't really need, but am I missing out on something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you ever need to drill in or out something that is tougher than whatever you're doing you will want it. It's also really nice to just have two if you're drilling pilot holes then putting in fasteners. One has a twist drill and the other has the driver.

I don't have one but I definitely want one occasionally.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PainterofCrap posted:

I used silicone caulk, just be sure that the concrete is clean and dry

Thanks! Much appreciated

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

H110Hawk posted:

It's also really nice to just have two if you're drilling pilot holes then putting in fasteners. One has a twist drill and the other has the driver.
💯 the reason I got one, no more splitting wood because I was too lazy to swap out drill and driver for the 600th time. Also the impact driver can unscrew big bolts you'd consider stuck in no time. Had to take apart some kids thing in the garden with a tower and a slide and the impact driver was a godsend. Vrrrrrt. Behold!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have an impact because I'm a mechanic and it's an essential tool for us, but I also cheat and use it for work around the house all the time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the driver gives you massively more torque than a drill can, so it's helpful any time you're trying to drive screws into dense wood or unstick a stuck bolt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Me and a guy from work were building a work bench one time. I had a corded drill, he had an impact. His impact drove 10 screws for every one that I drove without twisting the head off of.

I was fuckin sold on impacts after that

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

alnilam posted:

What's the point of an impact driver, is it worth having one (in addition to a drill) as an occasional DIY / casual hobbyist / homeowner type person?

I recently got a nice cordless drill with a clutch to replace my dead-simple corded drill and it's so amazing for driving in screws (and drilling ofc). The clutch works just fine for getting fasteners into the right depth. Just now I was gifted a matching impact driver and all I know is it's a little more controlled for putting in fasteners? I can see why it'd be nice for a pro, but if I'm a casual and the drill is good enough for me, do I really need one? I'm just not sure I want the extra clutter of an additional tool I don't really need, but am I missing out on something?
This thread suggested I buy an impact driver, and I now drive screws through 90-year-old old-growth redwood without batting an eye. Before that I couldn't mount the TV. Or put the house number plate up on what is probably Hardieboard or an ancestor thereof.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How bad is it that I bypassed the lid switch on my washing machine with a wire nut and electrical tape? I ordered a new one but it probably won't be here till at least Monday. Might do one more load of laundry before that.

This poo poo isn't going to burn down is it?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've got a one inch thick plate of steel that's 16" long that i need to take an inch off of. Would a regular angle grinder do the trick or would that be an exercise in futility?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

How bad is it that I bypassed the lid switch on my washing machine with a wire nut and electrical tape? I ordered a new one but it probably won't be here till at least Monday. Might do one more load of laundry before that.

Don't leave your baby unattended next to the open-lidded washing machine
When washing your pile of oily rags, don't leave a candle burning next to the open lid
etc.

El Mero Mero posted:

I've got a one inch thick plate of steel that's 16" long that i need to take an inch off of. Would a regular angle grinder do the trick or would that be an exercise in futility?

lol no, you need a proper cutting tool like a metal saw or a cutting torch. I mean you could totally do it with an angle grinder, eventually, but I gotta ask how many days you have to work on this and also you're gonna want to look for bulk packs of those cutting disks and also you're probably gonna explode a few so wear lots of PPE

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Just don’t open the lid while it’s spinning.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

El Mero Mero posted:

Are you heisting a vault?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

No. And congratulations for sussing that gremlin out without replacing the high-limit switch or the heat sensor. Ask me how I know.

El Mero Mero posted:

No, but you'd need a few days and at least fifty cutting blades. Good luck keeping the cut, and the face of your cut, straight.

No metal shops in your area? They can be uncommon, outside of major metro areas.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 12, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

A washing machine refurbisher I bought a machine from once told me, "first thing i do when I get a machine in, is bypass the drat lid switch. Just don't stick your arm in there."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thank allah.
Well I paid extra for the part to be here on Monday, so based on my last experience it'll be here by Friday. Typically I don't do laundry during the week. Just Friday and maybe Sunday. I was running around naked today getting the tools to bypass the poo poo while also taking stuff off the floor so my roomba can do it's job.

Glad I have clean and dry work clothes and don't have to go to the laundratorium.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It IS a top loader, right?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Opopanax posted:

It IS a top loader, right?

Oh yeah I was assuming and certainly hope so, I don't even know how that would work in a front loader

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Last top loader I had the switch was bypassed for all the years I owned it, never had any issues, but I also don't have kids.

Front loaders normally have a door lock that is based on some water level sensor (could be a float I suppose but that seems to low tech nowadays), at least the ones I have had worked that way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, toploader.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

lol no, you need a proper cutting tool like a metal saw or a cutting torch. I mean you could totally do it with an angle grinder, eventually, but I gotta ask how many days you have to work on this and also you're gonna want to look for bulk packs of those cutting disks and also you're probably gonna explode a few so wear lots of PPE

haha okay yeah I thought as much. I found a fireback for my fireplace but it's barely too big. Yeah, okay I'll call some metal shops.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

alnilam posted:

Oh yeah I was assuming and certainly hope so, I don't even know how that would work in a front loader

I mean I assumed too, but you never know

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, toploader.

It's literally there to keep kids from killing themselves. Take appropriate precautions. If you take your arm off loving around and finding out that's on you.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

El Mero Mero posted:

haha okay yeah I thought as much. I found a fireback for my fireplace but it's barely too big. Yeah, okay I'll call some metal shops.

don't listen to the naysayers, it'll take 30-60minutes and maybe a 5-pack of zip discs. Biggest downside I see is that the cut may not be as clean as w a chop saw or whatever they'd use at a metal shop. Still, you can clamp a wooden straightedge where you want the cut and use that as a guide for scoring the surface, to ensure a straight cut. Take it off once you have a groove to follow as it'll chew up the abrasive wheel if it touches the wood

Go to a metal fab shop of you want but the shops in my area bill for one hour minimum no matter what you're having done

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

you don't really need the drill, tbh. Impact drivers are smaller, faster to swap bits out, drive fasteners faster with less cam-out (where the bit slips out of the head), delivers less strain to the user, use less battery, deliver more driving force, and so on. The impact rated drill bits are good enough for a DIYer

drills excel at drilling a 'nicer' hole, as the smooth continuous torque makes for a neater, smoother hole. also driving long fasteners (like 6"+) as the longer shaft of the fasteners tends to absorb the impacts from a driver. Finally, you'll have better luck using a drill to drive concrete screws as the impact driver is much more likely to snap off the hardened concrete screws. oh ya and drills are quieter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Drills also have adjustable chucks that can take a wider variety of bits, while drivers are stuck using bits that can be fitted to a 1/4" hex head. So if you want to drill holes bigger than 3/8" or so, you'll still need a drill.