Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
carrying on with tiling.

but then get bored, I can't remember why probably some reason but switch over to finish doing some digging stuff.

Need to finish the BT data fibre conduit to the corner of the house where it will come up the side hidden round the corner.

The BT guy gave me all this stuff for free so I've put a box out here that maybe one day I'll use to branch off and take fibre to other properties on the site should they get built.

Then I'm going to dig a soakaway here

One of three, two more to go at the other end and corner of the house. Theres a calculation you can do to establish the volume of soakaway you need for your roof size. This one is going to be like 1.5 cubic metres.

It has to be 5 metres from the house and I think 3 from the boundary? So thats where it fits.

trap to take a downpipe then also an inlet for a drain along the front of the garage.

Then to something completely different. need to get these skylights sorted so have invented a flashing kit for my discount unflashed skylights I've bought. Ripped it off from the veluxs I've bought for the other wing. Drew up these plans and sent them to various fabricators locally to try and get some quotes to have them machined up.

They all either ignore or laugh at me. Fine. I'll do it myself with a bloody hacksaw

Cool. But lets paint.

I am very proud of these and should sell them to the company I bought the skylights from and become a millionaire this time next year rodney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's very nice looking, solid work.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

quote:

I am very proud of these and should sell them to the company I bought the skylights from and become a millionaire this time next year rodney.

You're going to have the fanciest McDonald's in town!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those look great, good work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flashing on the roof is probably why the neighbours hate you.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
almost as good as them bins you made for your brother

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

They all either ignore or laugh at me. Fine. I'll do it myself with a bloody hacksaw

I swear, tradespeople in Britain basically hate making money.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's not just the tradespeople. I put in a minor planning application 2 months ago. Validation is supposed to be 3 to 5 days. It still isn't validated. Although they have taken the money so I guess they've got that advantage.

Ring them to be told noone can speak with you. Email and get a reply saying they don't read emails. Now what

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Turn up at a planning meeting and slip them a brown envelope.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Kind of curious if firewood theft is going to become a thing this winter

I think about this a lot for some reason

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I think about this a lot for some reason

It definitely could.

Like its tricky cos its kind of big and bulky and a pain in the arse to load up. But like garages and the village store here has logs outside in bags that you go in and pay for but theres really nothing stopping someone just chucking easily 50 quids worth in their boot and loving off before anyone noticed.

My logstore is all the way down the bottom of site where noone can really see it so I think I'm safe and I've still got like 400litres of now illegal red diesel there too so that would be the bigger draw still too I think.

Theres long been people parking up outside countryside homes with their own on site oil tanks and just tapping them of thousands of pounds worth of oil and driving off. Not had it myself but defo know people in the more far flung villages who have. I'm sure you can get an alarm on your oil tank that goes off if it suddenly drains down to zero. But you tend not to think about these things until it happens to you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Next step is this sticky rubber ring thing you have to stick round.

Takes a bit of planning but next, get the skylight unit up on the roof. Figured best way was in the packaging, then remove top layer of packaging. Then plan is use suckers to lift window straight across. You can maybe see the temporary roof batten spacer thing I made to sit the skylight module on before being lifted into place.

Realise, probably remove ladder. Two layers of gunk go round, one structural apparently, the other weather.

then, plonk

OK yay, didnt gently caress it up. So concept proven.

But I've got two more windows to flash and I've run out of metal sheets. Order some better value, larger ones from a place nearby. Use a sheet of osb on the roof of the panda to strap it down to and bring it back.

It was alright up to like 70. beyond that... nah

Some knobhead van got up behind me and forced me to overtake a lorry a bit faster. Fortunately he ate a screenful of snapped off OSB board so lol. So thats all hosed up and need some new metal.

Nah it mostly straightens out and is fine, useable.

Have to get the third skylight up on the roof and round the plantroom slate roof before I can lay the tiles around it. Bit complicated but figured it all out

You can see the protective guard I'm using on top of each window whilst I tile above it here, sitting upright on the scaffolding

Last one to go on

Oh by the way, the whole time we're moving along this bit of roof installing the skylights I'm also having to mortar on the top ridge tiles as we go. Bit slow.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

How fragile are these tiles? I assume even if they don't break if you have to climb on them directly, they're likely slippery as hell. I'm also curious how you'd go about doing maintenance on a tile roof after it's complete. Complicated scaffolding or hanging off the end of a lift?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

How fragile are these tiles? I assume even if they don't break if you have to climb on them directly, they're likely slippery as hell. I'm also curious how you'd go about doing maintenance on a tile roof after it's complete. Complicated scaffolding or hanging off the end of a lift?

Usually you use a ladder that hooks over the ridge.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They're like rough stone effectively right (obviously they're fired clay but I mean the surface should be as grippy as stone) so shouldn't be that slippery... but they are at a 45° pitch so presumably you wouldn't be walking on that unaided anyway, right?

I was up on my roof (albeit a lower portion with the eaves edge only at about 8' from the ground) earlier, walking around on asphalt shingles... and that feels dodgy enough, even though the asphalt is really grippy.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Some knobhead van got up behind me and forced me to overtake a lorry a bit faster. Fortunately he ate a screenful of snapped off OSB board so lol.

Uh, what

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Use a sheet of osb on the roof of the panda to strap it down to and bring it back.

It was alright up to like 70. beyond that... nah

Some knobhead van got up behind me and forced me to overtake a lorry a bit faster. Fortunately he ate a screenful of snapped off OSB board so lol. So thats all hosed up and need some new metal.

Lmao, just recklessly endangered other motorists for no good reason, blamed it on others, and lmao at them getting their van pelted with your poo poo. Laffos all around.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Grim Up North posted:

Lmao, just recklessly endangered other motorists for no good reason, blamed it on others, and lmao at them getting their van pelted with your poo poo. Laffos all around.

The board was good for the whole drive there and back and only snapped a mile or something from home. And yeah if some arsehole wants to come steaming up behind me and sit an inch of my back bumper because I'm only over taking a truck at 70 then yeah lmao at them collecting a bit of OSB board.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly it's his own fault for refusing to get on that plane, death was going to catch up with him eventually.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The board was good for the whole drive there and back and only snapped a mile or something from home. And yeah if some arsehole wants to come steaming up behind me and sit an inch of my back bumper because I'm only over taking a truck at 70 then yeah lmao at them collecting a bit of OSB board.

This is some Ronnie Pickering posting

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is some Ronnie Pickering posting

Do you even know who I am?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Comedy.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Looking at how far back your seat is reclined, I'm guessing he thought you wanted to race.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

Looking at how far back your seat is reclined, I'm guessing he thought you wanted to race.

Suddenly it makes a lot more sense.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Kind of curious if firewood theft is going to become a thing this winter

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh yeah no bud that's just so people with wheelchairs can go in there okay

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

that lovely arsenic woodtreatment aroma filling the lounge

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry I wont endanger anyone ever again.

I've come off the roof for a bit, to do a soakaway. Well to do a trench to the corner of the building to do a soakaway. To allow us to then do some other trench digging, its all getting a bit convoluted around the access point.

So digging the trench to connect to the existing trench to bring BT data into the end of the building. Fibre will run to here then up into the roof space and go wherever.

But also need to run back from here a soakaway drain to get rid of roof rainfall at this end of the building. Opting to have a soakaway here. Calcs say need to be minimum 1m3 and using some stupid expensive plastic crates to do it otherwise, with leftover rubble you have to divide by 3 what soakaway you actually get and there isnt that much room here given all the other pipe runs we need to facilitate.

So data into that box, then slims down. they gave us this box so if we want other buildings on the property we can tee from here.

Need to bed it all in sand. Have a bag left so bring it up from the bottom of site. Apparently it had a hole in it.

Backfill that

Now need to dig soakaway.Needs to be mimimum 3m from boundary and 5 from house. this square

As if I can do that accurately

get the laser out to pretend to know whats happening

Get 5 crates, 1 cubic metre in the panda, two on roof, three inside.

Hole fills with water... which is probably not great.

dug too deep but thats good, back fill a bit with rubble, all adds up to more soakaway

crates in wrapped in membrane to stop soil clogging it up

bit more rubble and shingle

cover up, lol still a bit of work to do here

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

You know it'd be a shame, what with all the variation in roof tile colors, if a giant dick should just happen to appear on the side of the roof facing your ever so friendly neighbor

I mean, they're all just randomly laid out who could have possibly foreseen that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's been a knob on the roof all summer and they don't seem that bothered.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wee ones aren't that threatening

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry I havent posted much but I've been kind of depressed and making really important and well received posts on the internet.

So continuing to sort out all the groundworks on the front side of the building.

Plans have changed a bit and now no longer going to try and do a gravity fall system all the the way to the road as probably can't do it and the cost to excavate in the road is prohibitively expensive.

Instead going to install a pumping station in the drive that collects all wastes from the house on a normal gravity sewer, then pumps the gunk all the way up to the existing manhole cover on the driveway by the road that then falls into the sewer normally.

The first inspection chamber will be as planned collecting all the wastes from the back of the house and the nearby bathroom.

but instead of going to another inspection chamber that collects the en-suite from the near end of the building, this will separately go straight to the pumping station in the drive. And as its only one straightish waste I won't bother with an inspection chamber, just a rodding point.

The first inspection chamber has a funky external drop with rodding point on it as the two inputs are very different in depth, one having come from the far end of the building.

https://imgur.com/vJ4vsLx

Gravel everywhere

literally everywhere

This is where the digger steering fell off and I had to leave it stranded for a bit whilst i did temp repairs with cable ties and buying need tie rod ends, firstly the wrong one from america for loads of money then afterwards the right one for a bit less locally.

At least got a nice array of knackered vehicles for a week.

so here are the two runs coming to the point where the pumping station will be situated. I put those tombstone bits of wood in to blank off the ends of the pipes, took pictures for building regs and backfilled the trenches. Needed to do this to let the digger manoeuvre around the hole I was going to dig for the pumping station tank.

Probably not how its done but I sort of wrapped the inspection chamber in gravel whilst building a mud wall around it because of my proffesionalism.

Then start digging a big fat shaft downwards.

Lol went to far and fractured a hellish vault dimension

So this is the pumping station that needs to go in there

but it needs to have a 300mm slab and hardcore base under it, plus it needs to be set down low enough in the ground that the pipes running to it fall in high enough up that the whole tank isn't wasted. Then a brick manhole built back up ontop to ground level.

Hardcore needs to be smashed up like a convict from the leftover foundations of the original stables.

and dumped in the bottom

garnish with some gravel

Then the tank needs lowering in but also bringing up with 300mm concrete encasement all the way up as its going in a driveway with vehicles moving over it.

my hole is way to girthy for that...

So I invent a genius formwork that i will put around the tank, pour concrete from the cement mixer into and gradually lift up as I backfill around it with soil.

Initial base layer of concrete poured in for under the tank

then lower in with the digger

I love it when a plan comes together.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I loving love this thread

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

when can i come over for a sleepover

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Have we caught up with the present yet 99? This is all looking impressively house shaped I have to say

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Doesn't concrete stick to the form usually? How do you just pull it up?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

You generally will have what's called Form Oil and you spray it on the forms. It's stinky as gently caress and horrible. If you're doing a taller building or otherwise reusing the same forms eventually you don't need as much as the wood absorbs it but yeah not great.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Looke posted:

when can i come over for a sleepover

its not looking like that soon as...

Party Boat posted:

Have we caught up with the present yet 99? This is all looking impressively house shaped I have to say

no not quite.

BonerGhost posted:

Ha lol, no whatever I think I know what I'm doing here at this point and would have thought of that.

So these are the two pumps pulled out of the pumping station for the installation that slide up and down on metal rails via chains so they can be replaced/repaired/maintained.

And heres the system for channeling concrete mix down into the formwork

Using the plank to plonk the concrete to clear out airpockets. You can see the internal arrangement with the metal rails the pumps slide up. and the exit pipe and tap.

Shovelling in some backfill with the digger which I quickly stopped as it was a bit too violent and unmaneagable.

So heres the tank set in the ground up to the first level of the formwork with soil backfill around it. You might notice theres no ropes attached to it anymore or and sticky out bits.

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah thats because, as I always suspected, this doesnt work at all. I've had to cut all those bits off and rethink.

So thats now sacrificial formwork and I'll come up with more formwork for the rest

Lol at this point I stuck my brother inside the pootank cage and had him use the nail gun to attach the plastic to the timber supports. Started to hear weird plink noises...? Realised it was him inside the cage not able to see where the timber was so just managing to engage the nailgun on the inside of the cage and then fully fire nails through the plastic but miss the timber so that they started to fire through and hit the fence, walls, etc. No one died its fine.

we carried over and lowered the new sacrificial formwork around the tank. at the bottom there you can see the nails piercing though the timbers, imagine the ones that did not hit timbers.

made a flappy lid to stop stuff going in the tank and started to fill with water as you need to fill the tank from the inside as fill against it.

then of course as we carry on up filling water in the tank, concrete round it and soil around the formwork we need to eventually deal with the drains flowing into the tank. Which means drilling holes. Using big rubber bungs around the inflowing pipework and also using some fatter pipework as a conduit so we dont pour concrete against the actual pipes. Can in theory repair and replace and mitigates against groundheave.

do this twice for the two incoming pipes and obviously gravel everything

Then as we get near the top of the tank need to sort out the exit pipe. Its a 63mm setup with some big plastic nuts that all came as part of the kit. Everything from this point is pumped at this surprisingly narrow 63mm. The rest of our sewers are 110mm... Hope this works.

again put a piece of conduit in so in theory its recoverable...

Then attach the 63mm pipe that will run, pressurised uphill to a certain point in the drive where it will then blast out into some more 110mm pipework where it will fall gravity wise into the exisiting sewer setup.

Ah so also this pumping station wasn't planned. But it need power and data. so...

I'm fortunately not so far ahead that actually I can't pull up some beam and block floor and run another conduit under the floor between the plant room and the front of house where the tank is going.

So yeah the poo tank needs data. How much poo, when to pump, when to stop, when to absolutely pump and when to go oh poo I can't handle this call the emergency poo pump. This is facilitated by four dangling data lines with weights and floats set at certain depths such that they switch at the appropriate moment.

But they need a little bracket attached in the tank rim.

which of course now means theres a spanner in the bottom of the tank that I will now need to get back at some point before filling with poo.

Not sure if I need to, but using some leftover steel rebar to reinforce around the top where the manhole will be builtup and vehicles might transfer load downwards into the structure.

New data conduit set in either end...

And concrete up to existing lip.

back fill too.

So this leaves me with roughly this setup in the ground which might not be hugely legible.

Which I need to turn into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At this point have you considered abandoning all of this and just sprucing up and living in the break room the drillers made you provide?