Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

sixteen minute gap between those two posts.

first thing i noticed too. absolutely seething

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

sixteen minute gap between those two posts.

3:04 am: bedtime
3:20 am: back for more sick burns

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

wolrah posted:

I probably spent more time on this than I should have...

lol quotin for next page

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wolrah posted:

I probably spent more time on this than I should have...

:popeye:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1591827463583453190

fight fight fight fight

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

congress actually might because he somehow managed to piss off literally everyone

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

quote:

Or Congress will.
I'll believe that when I see it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
:lol: those replies are something else

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

regulation? in my private enterprise?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

🤣

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dijkstracula posted:

I'll believe that when I see it

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1591830668522434560

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I'll reiterate that american government is fundamentally opposed to doing anything beyond tweeting out a good soundbite and this is as far as we should expect it to ever go; if that changes and any of his companies are materially affected because of this feel free to quote this and dunk on me in a year's time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

speaking of full self dying, i'll spoiler it because i think it might actually show people dying, but there's a video being investigated by chinese authorities of a tesla auto-parking and then taking off at full speed down the road
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1591817128893911047

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

njsykora posted:

speaking of full self dying, i'll spoiler it because i think it might actually show people dying, but there's a video being investigated by chinese authorities of a tesla auto-parking and then taking off at full speed down the road
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1591817128893911047

Tweet deleted

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah it was an untagged snuff video. Straight up shows the car running people down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jesus Christ.
If you didn't get to see it, the Tesla scoots over to park on a dirt driveway, then a motorbike passes by it, the car decides it's time to drive, swerves into the oncoming lane to bass the bike, the just loving FLOORS it. Crashes into a bike, clips a motorcyclist, crashes into a barrier and starts flaming.

Did someone stroke out or someshit.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ADINSX posted:

Tweet deleted

it showed a tesla turning off the road to park, then suddenly turning back onto the road (after a guy on a scooter had just passed), swerving and then flooring it, hitting another scooter and flinging the rider into the air, then a bicycle (didn't seem as deadly), completely destroying one of those mini trucks that it plows through, then swerving out of control and crashing into a building.

the crashes with the scooter and the mini truck looked absolutely deadly. horrific stuff

i couldn't tell if there was someone in the car, but i don't think they'd be able to drive it like that, through three crashes and at that speed

but hey, self driving tech is right around the corner!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the only way this week tops last week is if tesla gets banned from china

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Tweet deleted

https://old.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane/comments/ytvo2g/tesla_lost_control_when_parking_and_took_off_to/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah this is it reuploaded https://twitter.com/ZohaibAkhtarMD/status/1591767692435931137

The text of the tweet:

quote:

Hope its not flagged down since #tesla and #twitter is under same entity. More info: The driver (Mr. Zhan) said when he was attempting to park his Tesla, the brake pedal went too hard to push and pressing P mode also didn’t help.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

two confirmed dead, three injured so far on a quick baidu search

tesla is actually in real danger here as regulators in the PRC have teeth

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

That's terrifying, I didn't watch until the end but of course tesla would design a car with no way to physically stop the flow of power to the battery/engage the brakes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i found the video again

:siren: multiple people clearly die, do not watch it if that is something you can't handle :siren:

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1591822506327158786

bad is an understatement

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ADINSX posted:

That's terrifying, I didn't watch until the end but of course tesla would design a car with no way to physically stop the flow of power to the battery/engage the brakes

if you watch it from the beginning it's even worse. fuckin thing floors it from a dead stop and just doesn't let up

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Honestly the entire industry is moving away from this. I'm still in 10 years ago mode where I knew that if anything went wrong I could shift my yaris into neutral and apply the hand brake; it doesn't get much simpler/safer than a cable to a drum brake. But if my lexus ran away on me I'm not sure what I'd do: the engine start/stop is a button that in theory could be ignored by the computer, the auto transmission is electronic I think.... I think it does still have an emergency brake (and obviously, and most importantly, it doesn't pretend that it "self drives")

Beeftweeter posted:

if you watch it from the beginning it's even worse. fuckin thing floors it from a dead stop and just doesn't let up

Edit: yeah I saw that. That's what got me thinking about my old yaris: Around that time there was a rumor/issue with the accelerators on toyota priuses flooring it. Some thought it was a software bug, some thought it was the floor mat coming lose and pressing on the gas. It got me thinking back then how I would deal with it if it happened to me, but I had a manual transmission car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats why i like the control setup on most* motorcycles

you are taught that in a panic situation, you grab both levers and stomp down with both feet

left hand disengages the clutch
right hand rolls off throttle and applies front brake
left foot downshifts so you're ready to accelerate out of something if needed
right foot applies rear brake

* race bikers reverse the up/down on the shift lever because they want to downshift to accelerate out of a turn, and they lean so much that you don't want to be tucking your foot underneath the lever in a left hand turn

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'd really really like emergency brakes to be a purely mechanical thing, so you at least have something for actual emergencies, instead of just using it for parking on slopes.

but yeah, they're probably going to be replaced by a software toggle

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yeah I thought this was like "trying to park and swerved across the road, taking out a moped" but holy gently caress that is insane

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

uh-oh, the car made a blocking network call to check that you've subscribed to the ebrake feature and now you've lost steering too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EricBauman posted:

I'd really really like emergency brakes to be a purely mechanical thing, so you at least have something for actual emergencies, instead of just using it for parking on slopes.

yeah even in F1 cars now it's non-mechanical pedals because it makes the car lighter which has meant some genuinely loving terrifying moments when a driver's brake has just stopped working, i think it was charles leclerc a few years ago in monaco who just had no braking coming out of the tunnel and had to ram his car into the side wall so he didn't go into a barrier at full speed

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

thats why i like the control setup on most* motorcycles

you are taught that in a panic situation, you grab both levers and stomp down with both feet

left hand disengages the clutch
right hand rolls off throttle and applies front brake
left foot downshifts so you're ready to accelerate out of something if needed
right foot applies rear brake

* race bikers reverse the up/down on the shift lever because they want to downshift to accelerate out of a turn, and they lean so much that you don't want to be tucking your foot underneath the lever in a left hand turn

I also appreciate the giant red "THIS BUTTON TURNS OFF THE BIKE" switch that the MSF teaches you to always use when turning off the bike. The theory I guess: you know exactly where it is and flipping it on and off is muscle memory because you use it to start/stop the bike

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah I thought this was like "trying to park and swerved across the road, taking out a moped" but holy gently caress that is insane

the crazy thing is that it dodged the first bike, then a car, went further down the road, and only then decided :killing:

i'm curious if the crash into the building was the computer or the driver

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that tesla video is insane, and if the car was genuinely out of control, it's yet another example of why they need to be taken off the road immediately.

honestly though? it looks a lot like the bafflingly common situation where someone mistakes the gas pedal for the brake, takes off like a bat out of hell, and in a panic their brain locks up and they keep stomping on the "brake" and never letting up and the car does exactly what they're commanding it to do. ask an insurance investigator -- old people do this all the time. there are only like two frames in the video where you can see the rear of the car while it's at speed, and they're lovely quality, but i don't see the third center-mounted brake light lit up. i don't think the driver was actually on the brakes like he says.

incidentally, the majority of claimed toyota "unintended acceleration" incidents turned out to be old geezers mixing up the pedals in just this way. that was a genuine problem with the cars, but it took a specific set of actions to initiate and it wasn't as common as media and police reports made it seem.

EricBauman posted:

they already are electronic. most new cars have a parking brake button that tells the computer to drive a gearmotor to pull on the cable that sets the parking brake. thankfully, there is no way this system could fail.

Dijkstracula posted:

uh-oh, the car made a blocking network call to check that you've subscribed to the ebrake feature and now you've lost steering too

we're at most two steps away from this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also this is yet another reason manual transmission vehicles are better: even if you're a dumbass who can't stop stepping on the gas pedal, you have two separate mechanical controls that will instantly disconnect the engine from the wheels. i assume most modern automatic transmissions are just a switch connected to the transmission control computer and sliding to neutral will do nothing if the computer fails. that's bad. they should have at least an emergency handle under the dash etc that pulls a cable and mechanically drops the transmission into neutral or separates the driveline somehow. electric cars should have the same thing.

please make me in charge of the FMVSS thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd say explosive bolts would be a cool way to do it EXCEPT we're talking about teslas here and well

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
electric cars should just have a giant "SHUT THE gently caress OFF" button that kills the power coupled with a mechanical emergency brake

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus Christ I thought all of that occurred within the span of a block, not a multi-camera 3km freak-out.

dioxazine posted:

regulators in the PRC have teeth
:rolleyes:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if elon actually knew what was cool he'd be building the spaceX rockets with manual transmissions

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Sagebrush posted:

they already are electronic. most new cars have a parking brake button that tells the computer to drive a gearmotor to pull on the cable that sets the parking brake. thankfully, there is no way this system could fail.

i haven't owned a new car since my bottom tier toyota aygo in 2011, so I didn't know that. i guess that means that it's unlikely we can put that genie back into the bottle.

The_Franz posted:

the crazy thing is that it dodged the first bike, then a car, went further down the road, and only then decided :killing:

i'm curious if the crash into the building was the computer or the driver

I think the last crash damaged it enough that it had to happen. One of the tweets mentioned a tire blowing out, so that would get them spinning out of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

electric cars should just have a giant "SHUT THE gently caress OFF" button that kills the power coupled with a mechanical emergency brake

the thing is, you're going to have to build a pretty insane disconnect for this. the requirements would be:

* not doing this with silicon alone. transistors and mosfets and IGBTs can fail short. no point in doing this if it's not a five nines reliability thing.
* strong 'engaged' holding power, because you can't have a little tiny spring on there while the car's rattling around and hitting bumps, interrupting 400 volts at 800 amps or whatever these goddamned things run at
* really wide 'open' terminals because if you don't do that, it's just gonna arc
* probably some sort of arc suppression pursuant to point 2

so we're probably looking at a pretty strong action on the solenoid and little compressed tank of SF6 that can both blow the contacts open and flood the solenoid chamber to suppress the arc