Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

4lokos basilisk posted:

i think the op's point was that chinese regulators would gently caress tesla over IF there was a sufficient domestic competitor. and since there is none (idk whether this is true or not), they won't care for now
Close, but it's more this confounding impression that because US regulation is slow and corrupt that somehow it's automatically better under capitalism with Chinese characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Close, but it's more this confounding impression that because US regulation is slow and corrupt that somehow it's automatically better under capitalism with Chinese characteristics.

yeah i do not disagree on that one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

we are talking about discrete sets of regulatory actions

Tesla in the us: free to gently caress around on public roads with pre-alpha software and already wracking up a body count. so far nothing has come down or been made public against them other than civil suits

Tesla in China: accountable for issues with the vehicles they sell in the country, including a 3km 150kph jaunt leaving multiple people dead. I will be surprised if something does not happen to the foreign automobile company in the next few months

the happenings in the US do not affect happenings in China, and vice versa.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chris Knight posted:

it'll come down to Elon personally walking people out the door

naw he's just gonna ghost 'em

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Tesla in the us: free to gently caress around on public roads with pre-alpha software and already wracking up a body count. so far nothing has come down or been made public against them

Tesla in China: accountable for issues with the vehicles they sell in the country, including a 3km 150kph jaunt leaving multiple people dead

idk if this is really "accountable" if all they have to do is blame the driver and the case goes away to die somewhere. way to early to say if it will stick or not. there have been other cases of tesla failures in china shared in this thread

the other thing is that we don't really have native level insight into the (social) media coverage wrt tesla in china. afaik twitter does not exist in china, so for all i know there could be many more hosed up tesla videos around on wechat or weibo or other big chinese platforms. also follows that since we do not consume chinese media in the original language, we do not even know all the stuff their regulators are saying about tesla - we only get a picking of highlights, which may give a wrong impression

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/bgleib/status/1591875679377031169

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lain Iwakura posted:

i wonder when twitter will reach the point where it loses the team to handle layoffs and offboarding entirely

when COVID hit, a friend of mine worked in HR for a travel related company and had to lay off her entire team

then she had to lay herself off.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Tesla in the us: free to gently caress around on public roads with pre-alpha software and already wracking up a body count. so far nothing has come down or been made public against them other than civil suits

Tesla in China: accountable for issues with the vehicles they sell in the country, including a 3km 150kph jaunt leaving multiple people dead. I will be surprised if something does not happen to the foreign automobile company in the next few months

Yes, Tesla are indeed racking up a bodycount due to lovely laws favourable to autonomous car systems in Arizona and wherever else. That has nothing to do with your wishful thinking that the Ministry of Transport is going to be the Big Strong Daddy you want to finally impose consequences on Tesla, and double-LOL that you think road safety is going to be a priority for somewhere Big Red Trucks are the apex predator.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 13, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

naw he's just gonna ghost 'em

they're gonna get miltoned to twitter's boiler room (server room)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Agile Vector posted:

they're gonna get miltoned to twitter's boiler room (server room)

one way to get the building literally burned down

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fart Sandwiches posted:

now that’s what I call a race condition

I can't believe you're looking at TESLA job ads at this time!

Also, lol

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1591868427932962816

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also, lol

lmfao i hadn't heard anything recently about newer teslas being as bad as they were a few years ago so i assumed they'd managed to bring quality up but nope, still loving garbage

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

lmfao i hadn't heard anything recently about newer teslas being as bad as they were a few years ago so i assumed they'd managed to bring quality up but nope, still loving garbage

they brought the standards down by loving the car

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also, lol

i'm sorry what

https://twitter.com/tomesticderror/status/1591883080343732231

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uh, left rear quarter panel? as in where the charger plug is and has a giant keep out always energized warning?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Lain Iwakura posted:

following up

hahahahahaha

Edit: wait a minute thats either a fake screenshot or someone unbanned them

wrt the out of control tesla, someone in the comments mentioned you can see the brake lights in the cctv footage.

rotor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 13, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

uh, left rear quarter panel? as in where the charger plug is and has a giant keep out always energized warning?

what? seriously?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

twitter laugh thread getting dark

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ryanrs posted:

twitter laugh thread getting dark

really only a matter of time before poo poo starts to get actually bad and not hilarious bad

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

rotor posted:

really only a matter of time before poo poo starts to get actually bad and not hilarious bad

Wasn’t there tweets today about a new summon update being pushed out?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TheMightyBoops posted:

idk man i just work here

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

TheMightyBoops posted:

musk is occupied elsewhere, so it's probably a great time for tesla folks to get some work done on things that actually matter.

but what can they do that isn't completely stupid (cross continental summon - definitely coming in 2018!) or impossible (solving the body panel gaps and all the other manufacturing defects)?

maybe they're finally putting the hazard markings back in the factory now elon 'i just dont like yellow stickers' musk isn't likely to walk onto the floor

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

rotor posted:

it's both, op

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

EricBauman posted:

musk is occupied elsewhere, so it's probably a great time for tesla folks to get some work done on things that actually matter.

but what can they do that isn't completely stupid (cross continental summon - definitely coming in 2018!) or impossible (solving the body panel gaps and all the other manufacturing defects)?

maybe they're finally putting the hazard markings back in the factory now elon 'i just dont like yellow stickers' musk isn't likely to walk onto the floor

I just wanna know if I need to be vigilant of Teslas when I walk through the parking lot at work tomorrow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

what? seriously?

eg

quote:

WARNING Regardless of the disabling procedure you use, ALWAYS ASSUME THAT ALL HIGH VOLTAGE COMPONENTS ARE ENERGIZED! Cutting, crushing, or touching high voltage components can result in serious injury or death.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jesus christ

like why isn't there a manual disconnect for the battery? What the gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ralph nader spinning in his fuckin grave rn

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there’s lots of fun stuff in that first responders manual, for example:

quote:

WARNING NEVER TRANSPORT THE VEHICLE WITH THE TIRES IN A POSITION WHERE THEY CAN SPIN. DOING SO CAN LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE AND OVERHEATING. IN RARE CASES EXTREME OVERHEATING MAY CAUSE THE SURROUNDING COMPONENTS TO IGNITE.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if i was a fireman i'd just put sandbags around it and let it burn to ashes

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just wanna know if I need to be vigilant of Teslas when I walk through the parking lot at work tomorrow.

well, the china video shows that you need to be vigilant anywhere the tesla can reach.
one can just race into you at 100mph and keep going perfectly straight after it hits you.

rogue teslas roaming the land are going to drive people to live in trees, swinging on vines from one treehouse to the next

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s lots of fun stuff in that first responders manual, for example:

Does this mean if you roll one downhill it catches on fire?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

jesus christ

like why isn't there a manual disconnect for the battery? What the gently caress

there is, it disconnects the battery from the rest of the systems. it doesn’t mean the battery itself is “safed”. just like even if you disabled the fuel pump on a gas car there’s still flammable fuel in the tank itself

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

if i was a fireman i'd just put sandbags around it and let it burn to ashes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

there is, it disconnects the battery from the rest of the systems. it doesn’t mean the battery itself is “safed”. just like even if you disabled the fuel pump on a gas car there’s still flammable fuel in the tank itself

right but it should de-energize the rest of the car. So apparently people aren't using it? or ???

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

rotor posted:

hahahahahaha

Edit: wait a minute thats either a fake screenshot or someone unbanned them

wrt the out of control tesla, someone in the comments mentioned you can see the brake lights in the cctv footage.

looks like the s was forgotten

LukeEvansSimon is the account and it's still locked so either way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it says these components should be treated as energized even after the destructive disable (cutting wires) they tell rescuers to do:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

rotor posted:

right but it should de-energize the rest of the car. So apparently people aren't using it? or ???

If I was just someone working at a body shop I would not assume the car could just instantly kill me when pulling a dent, so I can see this situation happening. Also the warning is probably in the charging cover so I wouldn’t necessarily have a reason to open it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so the batteries DONT have a manual disconnect?? this is very confusing, my solution is to never touch a tesla or let my children near them.

edit: like idk, i feel like there needs to be a way to render all of the car safe to touch, that doesn't seem like a high bar.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TheMightyBoops posted:

If I was just someone working at a body shop I would not assume the car could just instantly kill me when pulling a dent, so I can see this situation happening. Also the warning is probably in the charging cover so I wouldn’t necessarily have a reason to open it.

yeah i agree, but hopefully word of mouth is getting around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anyway PDR involves poking metal stuff around blindly behind panels. I’m really shocked anyone would agree to do that on any electric vehicle