Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol quotin for next page

fffffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice single letter snype you thick as pig poo poo mother fucker

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah he bought a soapbox for $44 bil. Twitter will go bankrupt, it's just a numbers game I don't think he's going to bankrupt the company on purpose. I think at this point he doesn't care and has deluded himself into thinking it's just all part of the bigger "mission". What a world.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah he bought a soapbox for $44 bil. Twitter will go bankrupt, it's just a numbers game I don't think he's going to bankrupt the company on purpose. I think at this point he doesn't care and has deluded himself into thinking it's just all part of the bigger "mission". What a world.

A soap box he was already standing on for free

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

more like cope box

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

more like cope box

🤣🤣🤣

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
i think he thought it was going to be "free speech is legal now! we fired the bad engineers and now twitter works amazing!" and everyone would go "wow thanks for saving us for leftism!"
it did not go that way
i don't think he's got any kind of master plan going on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the most glorious part about it is that he's living every managers wet dream, firing people, forcing people into coming back into the office, clearing the decks, separating the chaff from the wheat or whatever

and it's doing exactly the opposite of what everyone who wishes could do it hopes it would do

I mean, it's a masterclass

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the most glorious part about it is that he's living every managers wet dream, firing people, forcing people into coming back into the office, clearing the decks, separating the chaff from the wheat or whatever

and it's doing exactly the opposite of what everyone who wishes could do it hopes it would do

I mean, it's a masterclass

its the b-school case but for the exact opposite reasons of what the original poster meant

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

refleks posted:

its the b-school case but for the exact opposite reasons of what the original poster meant

if elong succeeds and somehow makes twitter profitable then we are in for the ride of our lives

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

biggest by mass, I guess

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nudgenudgetilt posted:

praising their bms
maye musk account spotted

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
from wapo

quote:

A fake tweet sparked panic at Eli Lilly and may have cost Twitter millions

The pharmaceutical giant halted ad spending after fake blue-check accounts went viral. For $8, Twitter is ‘losing out on millions of dollars in ad revenue,’ a former Eli Lilly official said.

The nine-word tweet was sent Thursday afternoon from an account using the name and logo of the pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly and Co., and it immediately attracted a giant response: “We are excited to announce insulin is free now.”

The tweet carried a blue “verified” check mark, a badge that Twitter had used for years to signal an account’s authenticity — and that Twitter’s new billionaire owner, Elon Musk, had, while declaring “power to the people!” suddenly opened to anyone, regardless of their identity, as long as they paid $8.

But the tweet was a fake — one of what became a fast-multiplying horde of impersonated businesses, political leaders, government agencies and celebrities. By the time Twitter had removed the tweet, more than six hours later, the account had inspired other fake Eli Lilly copycats and been viewed millions of times.

Inside the real Eli Lilly, the fake sparked a panic, according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. Company officials scrambled to contact Twitter representatives and demanded they kill the viral spoof, worried it could undermine their brand’s reputation or push false claims about people’s medicine. Twitter, its staffing cut in half, didn’t react for hours.

The aftermath of that $8 spoof offers a potentially costly lesson for Musk, who has long treated Twitter as a playground for bawdy jokes and trolls but now must find a way to operate as a business following his $44 billion takeover.

By Friday morning, Eli Lilly executives had ordered a halt to all Twitter ad campaigns — a potentially serious blow, given that the $330 billion company controls the kind of massive advertising budget that Musk says the company needs to avoid bankruptcy. They also paused their Twitter publishing plan for all corporate accounts around the world.

“For $8, they’re potentially losing out on millions of dollars in ad revenue,” said Amy O’Connor, a former senior communications official at Eli Lilly who now works at a trade association. “What’s the benefit to a company … of staying on Twitter? It’s not worth the risk when patient trust and health are on the line.”

Eli Lilly, which declined to respond to questions about the episode or how much money it has spent on advertising with Twitter, is one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers, known for the anti-depression drug Prozac and the diabetes treatments Trulicity and Humalog.

It maintains a robust Twitter presence. In addition to its main corporate account, @LillyPad, it runs stand-alone accounts devoted to diabetes care, European health policy, clinical trials, rheumatology and the distribution of health information in Spanish, Italian and French. It spends more than $100 million a year on TV commercials and digital-ad campaigns in the United States, according to MediaRadar, a marketing data firm.

When Twitter failed to react quickly to its entreaties about the fake account, Eli Lilly took to its official account in the late afternoon Thursday to apologize to its 130,000 followers for the “misleading” fake. When the fake account still was active five hours later, a Twitter ad-sales rep in New York publicly pleaded with Musk for the fake account to be removed.

Musk did not respond, but the account was suspended late Thursday night. The next morning, Musk tweeted that the launch of Twitter’s new $8 verification regime was “overall proceeding well.”

Musk did not respond to requests for comment for this article. Twitter’s communications team also did not respond; many of its employees were fired
in the massive layoff that Musk imposed on Nov. 4.

In a short statement Friday, Eli Lilly said it was “working to correct this situation.”

Musk has said the sweeping change to Twitter’s “verified” system, first unveiled in 2009, would shake up the establishment journalists he routinely criticizes by breaking their “oligopoly on information.”

Twitter is not checking the identity of anyone who pays $8 for the check mark, which looks identical to the current “verified” badge. Musk has said spammers and impersonators would be dissuaded by the fact that their $8 would not be paid back if their accounts were suspended.

The sudden shift, however, has decimated some of the last lingering bits of trust among advertisers in the platform, said Jenna Golden, who ran Twitter’s political and advocacy ad-sales team until 2017 and now runs Golden Strategies, a D.C. consulting firm.

Twitter, she said, has never been a “must buy” for advertisers. Though a popular way to reach influential political figures and news junkies, it has never had the scale and performance of digital juggernauts like Google and Facebook.

Now, with its verification system in shreds, “it’s making it really easy for advertisers to say: ‘You know what, I don’t need to be here anymore,’ and walk away,” Golden said. “People are not just providing inaccurate information but damaging information, with the ability to look legitimate. That is just not a stable place for a brand to invest.”

Compounding the issue, Golden said, is Musk himself, who has pushed tumultuous changes to the company that have stunned paying customers, confused industry observers and led Twitter’s power users to head for the exits.

“People see the leader of this company who is erratic and unpredictable, who is making very knee-jerk decisions and rolling them back quite quickly,” she said. “He claims he wants to create a successful business, then does everything he can to turn off the advertisers that are its main revenue stream. … I just don’t see a world in which advertisers are going to be excited to come back and willing to commit dollars to his experiment.”

As fake accounts multiplied on the site Thursday, Musk responded to a sexually explicit tweet from a fake President Biden with two cry-laughing emoji and tweeted that Twitter users had shared “some epically funny tweets.”

By Friday morning, however, Twitter had paused its blue-check program, known as Twitter Blue, due to “impersonation issues” and began attaching “official” labels to Eli Lilly and other major corporate accounts.

On Friday evening, Musk tweeted Twitter would begin adding a “parody” tag to fake blue-check accounts. He also defended Eli Lilly, tweeting at Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — who had used the fake to call attention to high prices for insulin, a lifesaving drug — that the “price question is complex.”

Few of the nation’s most prominent businesses and political figures have escaped viral Twitter impersonations in recent days: Former presidents (Donald Trump, George W. Bush) and giant companies (the defense contractor Lockheed Martin, Musk’s automaker Tesla) have all been retweeted widely, with fake-but-verified badges attached.

That shift has led some major advertisers to also pull back. Omnicom Media Group, an ad firm that represents corporate giants such as Apple and McDonald’s, recommended clients pause all Twitter activity, saying in a memo first reported by The Verge that the “risk to our clients’ brand safety has risen sharply to a level most would find unacceptable.”

For Eli Lilly, the $8 fake account represented a disastrous and high-profile surprise. The Indianapolis-based conglomerate employs more than 37,000 people across 18 countries and brings in $28 billion a year in revenue.

Sanders and many others used the parody to shine a spotlight on insulin costs, a common point of company criticism. When Eli Lilly’s share price sank 4 percent on Friday — in line with a drop in other health care stocks — many Twitter users credited the fake account: The “tweet just cost Eli Lilly billions,” said one tweet with more than 380,000 likes. “The most consequential $8 in modern human history,” said another.

Some Twitter users celebrated the accounts as modern satires or expressed excitement at the idea that Musk’s move could backfire, exposing Twitter to legal threats. Other fake-but-verified Eli Lilly spoofs have proliferated, gaining their own broad audiences before they, too, were suspended: One tweeted, “Humalog is now $400. We can do this whenever we want and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

To Eli Lilly, though, the change offered not just a reputational threat but the risk that other fakes could threaten people’s health. The company’s accounts routinely field medical questions from Twitter users and work to correct misinformation about side effects, health issues and long-term care.

Twitter’s change, O’Connor said, has shaken not just Eli Lilly but many other companies now worried about the risk of participating in a platform where an account’s legitimacy is no longer guaranteed.

“This isn’t just about Twitter, this is about patients’ health,” O’Connor said. What if a public health group was “spoofed and shared information that made people’s diabetes worse? Where does it stop? It feels like this is literally just the beginning, and it’s only going to get worse.”

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

Elon is actively "posting" about the SBF stuff and he 100% believes the engagement he's getting is going to generate revenue. Like he's going to use his replies tonight as an example of his vision of twitter, which is effectively his own personal fiefdom. The world's richest man got himself addicted to social media.

He's super into the SBF scandal, because he didn't like SBF and didn't think he actually had billions in cash to invest in Twitter with

he thinks he can use it to prove to his critics that he's actually a super genius, because a bunch of tech business types were involved with SBF and he wasn't

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

from wapo

lol

lol if companies stop wanting to engage with Twitter because Musk poo poo the bed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

wsj posted:

NUSA DUA, Indonesia—Elon Musk said he has too much work to juggle since the billionaire added running Twitter Inc. to his tasks with the $44 billion takeover of the social-media platform.

“My workload has recently increased quite a lot,” Mr. Musk said in a virtual appearance Monday at the B20 business conference in Indonesia, on the sidelines of a summit of leaders of the Group of 20 advanced and developing economies. “I have too much work on my plate, that is for sure.”

Asked at the event how he ran Tesla’s increasingly global operation, Mr. Musk answered, “I have to say, it is with great difficulty.”

“I am really working the absolute most amount that I can work from morning to night, seven days a week,” he told the event, adding, “This is not something I would recommend, frankly”

Mr. Musk, who appeared via videolink wearing a traditional batik shirt from Sulawesi, one of the larger islands in the Indonesian archipelago, also said that Twitter needs to publish more video, including longer videos, and should pay creators for their work—two ideas for the platform he has previously mentioned as part of his Twitter takeover.

On Monday Mr. Musk reiterated that Tesla is considering making a cheaper car, without providing further details.

“We do think that making a much more affordable vehicle would make a lot of sense,” he said. He first suggested Tesla might undertake such a product a little more than two years ago.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1592001589040279553?s=20&t=Px5VuLprDFrgO2TR7Y6_9A

quote:

“I have too much work on my plate, that’s for sure,” Musk said Monday, responding to questions during a session at the B20 in Indonesia, a business conference running alongside the G20 meeting in Bali this week. “I’m working the absolute most that I can work -- morning to night, seven days a week.”

lmao...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol learn to delegate, noob

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol learn to delegate, noob

Or you know, it's horseshit since he can find the time to be le epic troll tweeting through his mismanagement

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

WORKING HARD THANK YOU 🤣🤣

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
The right amount to work when you have billions of dollars is zero, goddamn

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Eeyo posted:

lmao a vector sum doesn't even make sense in this context, it's about interactions, not sums.

alright thank you. i reread that tweet three times because i couldn't understand wtf he was talking about

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alright thank you. i reread that tweet three times because i couldn't understand wtf he was talking about

thats the intent. hes trying to sound smart

*pakled voice* he is not smart

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

working hard at hitting f5 on my self-search and screaming at my lickspittles to delete the meanies

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

Or you know, it's horseshit since he can find the time to be le epic troll tweeting through his mismanagement

to be fair keeping his galaxy brain ego bubble going is work, because that public image is what is propping up the stock value of his companies. the moment he starts actually doing constructive management work as one logically would expect has to be done at tesla and twitter etc, he will stop being the tony stark luminary and the magic would go away, taking the stock price with it probably

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Xakura posted:

The right amount to work when you have billions of dollars is zero, goddamn

the real proof he has no idea what he’s doing

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

polyester concept posted:

the real proof he has no idea what he’s doing

love to have $44 billion, work really loving hard day and night and end up with $8 billion

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1592109042641801216

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

tesla's battery pack may be a perfectly fine design but it is assembled with the same build quality and qc as the rest of the car

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

"gergely orosz" sounds made up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh hey look at that bloomberg tweet. the official tags are back

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

"gergely orosz" sounds made up

He keeps popping up, and it seems like he's one of those boring the-truth-is-in-middle/Elon fans/borderline bootlickers who refuses to actually criticize the god emperor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i wish they'd make up their mind

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

4lokos basilisk posted:

to be fair keeping his galaxy brain ego bubble going is work, because that public image is what is propping up the stock value of his companies. the moment he starts actually doing constructive management work as one logically would expect has to be done at tesla and twitter etc, he will stop being the tony stark luminary and the magic would go away, taking the stock price with it probably

All he has to do is do the CEO job of going to conferences, be the face of the companies and raise money. That’s his actual job, but he convinced himself he’s the genius engineer behind it all instead of letting actual competent people run the operations

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

dioxazine posted:

why? this is much more fun :chaosreigns:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dioxazine posted:

but this is way funnier

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dioxazine posted:

bring back the checkmark but make it cost $69

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

dioxazine posted:

i dont this is loving hilarious

social media platform with bipolar lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

champagne posting posted:

bring back the checkmark but make it cost $69

the absolute best part of the checkmark debacle was tumblr of all places dunking on it and letting you buy multiple checkmarks