Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ghost D. Roger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Roger is a Devil Fruit now.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Did people really think Saul was dead? :psyduck:

Like, Aokiji literally used a move with the word Time Capsule in it. It was pretty obvious even back then.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought he was but looking back with the current information I could see how he could reasonably be alive. Unlike Pell who had a nuke blow up in his face

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ryaomon posted:

Like, Aokiji literally used a move with the word Time Capsule in it. It was pretty obvious even back then.
Yes. People were mainly misdirected by the fact he's a D and Ds die with a smile so it seemed like an illustration of that. Robin was also totally traumatized by what she thought was his death as well so it was easy to go along with. (The scene is absolutely brutal if he actually dies, especially the anime version.) It wasnt something that was discussed all that much comparatively.

But his being alive totally makes sense and works with everyone's arcs at this point and I think it was planned from the start. I make fun of pell and sabo in general but this one actually fits.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ryaomon posted:

i think this is a bold claim lol. it was always possible that he lived but the story flat out tells us that the freezing attacks are fatal if not treated, and he was frozen on an island that was subsequently bombed into oblivion. add to that the fact that he's a D and that he's a flashback character... pretty reasonable to assume the story wasn't lying about his death

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Yes. People were mainly misdirected by the fact he's a D and Ds die with a smile so it seemed like an illustration of that. Robin was also totally traumatized by what she thought was his death as well so it was easy to go along with. (The scene is absolutely brutal if he actually dies, especially the anime version.) It wasnt something that was discussed all that much comparatively.

But his being alive totally makes sense and works with everyone's arcs at this point and I think it was planned from the start. I make fun of pell and sabo in general but this one actually fits.

This was also pre-Sabo so there was a pretty firmly established pattern at that point of people dying in flashbacks to establish character growth and there wasn't any counter-examples of people popping back into the current narrative after being presumed dead. But yeah now that it is more plot relevant and we have some other examples, it fits into the current OP paradigm that Saul survived and continued to try and help his friends' dream.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
do you guys think luffy can use gear 5 at will btw

pretty excited to see gear 5 just...addressed more.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
No, not at will!

Only when it’s funny!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Nikumatic posted:

No, not at will!

Only when it’s funny!

Ed D. Valiant definitely died with a smile on his face.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

It was also incredibly obvious that Sabo was alive after that flashback. In the anime, anyway. Wasn't reading the manga at that point so I don't know if it had that same scene that seems to clearly imply that he lived and was discovered by the revolutionaries.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when the Sabo chapters first came out I talked to someone who was convinced Sabo was dead and Bluejam was the one Dragon saved

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Klewer posted:

It was also incredibly obvious that Sabo was alive after that flashback. In the anime, anyway. Wasn't reading the manga at that point so I don't know if it had that same scene that seems to clearly imply that he lived and was discovered by the revolutionaries.

yeah it was super blatantly obvious "oh there was this other brother I never mentioned but he died" then in the flashback you see Dragon rescue some kid who is burned lol like it wasn't even trying to be coy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Klewer posted:

No, Sabo always being alive was a given. I make fun of sabo for being an asspull.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I took the original poster's comparison as "the art has gotten worse" and made a sarcastic post about how silly it is to compare a panel with one that's like 4x as big

But now I realize they said "anime now" and "anime then" so I have no idea what they're talking about
"Thing then, thing now, wtf happened" is an age-old thing, nowadays when people do it on dead comedy forums it's just to make fun of that idea, I'm sorry for the confusion :shobon:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

While we're at it, Brook's old captain definitely survived. He was left off on an island with a dire illness and never seen again, he's 100% alive, or at least lived beyond that point

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

At least we know Bellemere is still alive. She's just locked away in Arlong's dungeons. Hopefully they save her at some point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Kushina is fine in the 4Kids universe

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can't wait for Ace to return.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What about Pedro?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
We were told ages ago that no one in One Piece has died, or ever will:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

who's that guy

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The fakeout that annoys me the most is Pound, who went from a pretty nothing character to a really good one entirely because of the way he died.
And then it turned out he survived the giant flaming sword being swung at his neck???

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im glad pound lived so he could properly meet his family :)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Baron La Croix posted:

The fakeout that annoys me the most is Pound, who went from a pretty nothing character to a really good one entirely because of the way he died.
And then it turned out he survived the giant flaming sword being swung at his neck???

I'm mad that Pound survived but we haven't seen Pekoms since he was being swarmed by Big Mom pirates in that same battle.

He deserves the death reversal way more, imo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Lotus Aura posted:

We were told ages ago that no one in One Piece has died, or ever will:

:hmmyes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MorningMoon posted:

]i have to meme the emotions away because this beautiful motherfucker spent more time dead than the entire manga run of naruto

I think it's ok to have assumed he was dead dead when we spent close to 15 years since he died.

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!

Nikumatic posted:

No, not at will!

Only when it’s funny!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ed D. Vedder

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Break next week

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's not good for my I'll-Die-If-I-Don't-Get-A-Chapter disease

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No Wave posted:

No, Sabo always being alive was a given. I make fun of sabo for being an asspull.

It just turning out that Luffy had another brother he'd just never talked about was fine. What I hated was all the poo poo that was retroactively "Oh, no, he was just out of panel!". Like the sake cups.

Sabo himself is ok. Not my favorite, but generally he does some ok stuff. I still don't think Luffy should have given a poo poo about Ace's fruit, but it being why Sabo shows up works.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not good for my I'll-Die-If-I-Don't-Get-A-Chapter disease

What's it like dying once a month?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm like the dude from Death Stranding, I just get a little shock in my heart and I'm fine.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Gyges posted:

It just turning out that Luffy had another brother he'd just never talked about was fine. What I hated was all the poo poo that was retroactively "Oh, no, he was just out of panel!". Like the sake cups.

Sabo himself is ok. Not my favorite, but generally he does some ok stuff. I still don't think Luffy should have given a poo poo about Ace's fruit, but it being why Sabo shows up works.

That's just One Piece tho. Sanji had an entire family backstory that was never mentioned till it was relevant, and I'm guessing we have more to come, based on Brook's comments about being part of a "certain kingdom" and Franky's parents being unnamed pirates. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a reveal about Nami's family in the future too.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Baron La Croix posted:

I've heard the Pound thing a lot, and my takeaway is this.

Pound's fake-out death was grim, tragic, and beautiful. It was a wonderful moment of someone who was completely helpless managing to save his beloved daughter. In that moment, he was willing to die with a smile just to congratulate Chiffon on her life.

Oda is a softie. He has two daughters that he clearly adores and would do anything for. In a world like One Piece where characters with the strongest wills matter the most, I can't possibly imagine Oda killing off a character who so closely correlates to him as a dad when he could instead say "Pound loves his daughters so much he survived being cleaved by a flaming blade."

Also, the first time we see Pound he gets stabbed in the head by Randolph the rabbit Homie and doesn't seem to pay it much mind. Maybe he has a big, dumb, strong, durable noggin. Perhaps Pound will be the one to wear the Big Hat? Only time will tell.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MorningMoon posted:

Whole Cake Island is so good, what a depiction of abusive families, Sanji gets so much character and Brook is so loving cool facing Big Mom.

No kidding. Having lived through a similarly abusive family situation growing up, I shed more than a few tears seeing Sanji's situation and feeling catharsis seeing Sanji standing on the table, literally above his abusive dad. The symbolism was heavy for me.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Judge falling to pieces when they're about to be killed while one of his sons goes "well we might've cried about our imminent death if you didn't make us sociopaths. Oh well" is also pretty good.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i was kinda disappointed that germa just ended up as allies of convenience to the straw hats by the end of the arc and that sanji didn't get to cathartically beat up judge (though he did disown him at least). would have been nice to see reiju be able to escape from judge too, her situation is pretty bleak. even just something like judge being captured by the big mom pirates and reiju escaping with the others and trying to teach them how to be better people despite their lack of emotion would have been nice to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Nikumatic posted:

Ed D. Valiant definitely died with a smile on his face.

Davi D. Carradine