Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I needed to find a thread to brag about my sweet book find. I think this is the right one, but I was very close to posting this in the D&D thread. My local university is liquidating some of their old books and they are for sale for $1 each! I've always wanted to read The Dying Earth but I've never seen a copy until now. I picked these up as well as a bunch of other 70s sci-fi short story collections :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh that's some good poo poo right there

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

And some niiice covers!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Runcible Cat posted:

And some niiice covers!

Yeah I love 70's sci-fi/fantasy covers. They are in pretty decent condition too, I guess the university students take good care of the books for fear of graduating :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I love the Book of Dreams cover. Punch!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Stone Sky (Broken Earth #3) by NK Jemisin - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7EQOFA/

The Fall of Babel (Books of Babel #4) by Josiah Bancroft - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8LC51M/

Jade War (Green Bone Saga #2) by Fonda Lee - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H27TV1G/

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG/

The Bone Ships (Tide Child #1) by RJ Barker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPW3GMX/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

The Fall of Babel (Books of Babel #4) by Josiah Bancroft - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8LC51M/
what the gently caress has there never been a sale on the drat third one it's not even on sale right now (I liked the first two :shobon:)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I needed to find a thread to brag about my sweet book find. I think this is the right one, but I was very close to posting this in the D&D thread. My local university is liquidating some of their old books and they are for sale for $1 each! I've always wanted to read The Dying Earth but I've never seen a copy until now. I picked these up as well as a bunch of other 70s sci-fi short story collections :haw:

Nice. I actually have three of those editions (City of the Singing Flame, The Face, and The Dying Earth) and they're good stuff.

I would, however, recommend you drop The Knight and Knave of Swords in the recycling bin. That's the last Fafhrd and Grey Mouser book, written when Leiber was an elderly, depressed alcoholic writing stories filled with his icky fetishes. Really not worth the time, unless you're an absolute completist.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Tiny Timbs posted:

I really like these books but I just finished #8 and can't help but feel like the author ended it abruptly because he felt done. I can see a path to a conclusion for the conflict from here but it was disappointing to see the main character pull an "aight imma head out" and then fin

Edit: I got around to looking it up on Reddit and I guess the answer from the author is that the series will continue, just with a different main character. Which is probably the right move.
Lol at the spoiler, didn't finish that one yet.

AKTUALLY I like his other series, Palladium Wars, better. Maybe just because there are fewer of them.

I admit I've burned through several of these seemingly never-ending series, especially on KU, but it gets really hard to tell them apart and remember what happened when you don't hit them all in a series. I read about 10 pages of Frontlines book 8 and thought I missed something, but book 7 on my kindle was right at the end so I guess I didn't? Should wrap that one up, assuming that my brain is post-covid enough to read a goddamn space opera without losing focus.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

Jade War (Green Bone Saga #2) by Fonda Lee - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H27TV1G/

YEEEEEEESSSSSS! I've been waiting for this to complete my collection, since I didn't grab it on publication because I wasn't sure how much I liked Jade City. Yeah no Jade City is okay, but Jade War is great, and the Greenbone Saga as a whole is phenomenal.

Jade War has arguably the most epic showdown between two characters who are clan leaders who just so happen to be women and Kaul Shaelinsan's entire arc in this book is so real it hurts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Selachian posted:

Nice. I actually have three of those editions (City of the Singing Flame, The Face, and The Dying Earth) and they're good stuff.

I would, however, recommend you drop The Knight and Knave of Swords in the recycling bin. That's the last Fafhrd and Grey Mouser book, written when Leiber was an elderly, depressed alcoholic writing stories filled with his icky fetishes. Really not worth the time, unless you're an absolute completist.

I'll put The Knight and Knave of Swords at the bottom of the pile (its a big pile :v:) Does it matter what order I read the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories? They are all collections of short stories right, so they should all be pretty well self contained?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have a £10 Waterstones gift card as comp for my copy of Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes being delayed. Any recommendations?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rutibex posted:

I'll put The Knight and Knave of Swords at the bottom of the pile (its a big pile :v:) Does it matter what order I read the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories? They are all collections of short stories right, so they should all be pretty well self contained?

Yeah, no particular order. They'll vary in quality so feel free to skip ahead if one isn't working for you, because the next one probably will.

Absolutely read the Demon Princes books in order. They're an interstellar tale of revenge, with the highly competent protagonist going after the crime lords who ruined him. Really cool stuff, one of the foundational influences on the Traveller RPG.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

I have a £10 Waterstones gift card as comp for my copy of Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes being delayed. Any recommendations?

The main thing I'd recommend that I read in the past year is Between Two Fires.

There are special Waterstones editions of the Rivers of London books thouhg.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm on book 3 of Marko Kloos's Frontlines series now and still enjoying it quite a bit.

Straightforward mil-SF but competently done. The earlier books are all on KU, not sure about the later ones (book #8 came out this year). The aliens are 80 feet tall. Not sure that's really a spoiler but it comes up kinda late in book 1.
Something about this series really rubbed me the wrong way (it might have been the plot only works because the 80 feet tall aliens just ignore everything happening around them). Didn't help that the protagonist was lovely and all the scenes on earth were intensely stupid and made like zero sense.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Best sex scene in fantasy fiction is in Harrow the Ninth where Harrow regrows Ianthe's arm bones and I don't care that there's no sex in it, it's absolutely a sex scene.

Well, it's clear from that scene that Harrow was giving Ianthe a real bone(r)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Front lines is kind of confused and doesn't really work out in many ways, I feel. It probably should have just stuck to the Cold War in space tbh, those elements were always the strongest parts

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've hit a point where I'd like more sci-fi/fantasy novels to have sex in them not for horny reasons but for the emotional reasons. I want more romance in genre fic, damnit. I want the knight to romance the princess. I want starship pilots to kiss before the big battle. I want more complicated relationship drama for characters to sort through while they're trying to sell magic potions!

Or, I've been reading so much romance lately that I wade into genre fic and immediately beeline to people like Bujold because they know what I want.

Bookmarking this post so I can pass you a sci-fi thriller featuring a pugilistic prophetess who wants to get all up in the mechanics of her goth-bot partner.

Once this art comes in.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Very self-contained, here's my thoughts I posted earlier in the thread

fez_machine posted:

Basically, my recommendation is read the middle three books, Swords Against Death, Swords in The Mist, Swords Against Wizardry, and maybe The Swords of Lankhmar and the first 3/4s of Swords and Ice Magic. Everything else is not worth the trouble.

mllaneza posted:

Absolutely read the Demon Princes books in order. They're an interstellar tale of revenge, with the highly competent protagonist going after the crime lords who ruined him. Really cool stuff, one of the foundational influences on the Traveller RPG.

The Demon Princes books stand alone so if you don't have all of them it's fine as each is pretty self-contained but you should read what you have in order because they get better and better and more focused over time. Absolutely keep the book of dreams for last as it reads best having read most of the others.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Goodreads readers choice award voting has begun, here is the sci-fi list:
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-science-fiction-books-2022

I have to admit I only know three books there; Kaiju preservation Society, Nona the Ninth and Leviathan Falls.

Any other ones books you would recommend from this list? Leech looks interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I've heard of The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, but the reviews I've seen said it was mediocre.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
How's Gene Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist series? I just finished re-reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus and am looking to buy some more Wolfe. It's either Soldier of the Mist or Book of the Long Sun.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finish the new sun books

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

said forums user Everyone, who thought puns were funny by default posted:

Well, it's clear from that scene that Harrow was giving Ianthe a real bone(r)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orc Priest posted:

How's Gene Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist series? I just finished re-reading The Fifth Head of Cerberus and am looking to buy some more Wolfe. It's either Soldier of the Mist or Book of the Long Sun.
First two are good, Soldier of Sidon was written years after and feels really unnecessary.

e: Looking at that Goodreads list: anyone read Leech? That's the only one that just grabs my interest (apart from the new Mur Lafferty which apparently isn't very good..?)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 15, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orc Priest posted:

first two are great, third one does the late Wolfe thing of everyone explaining the plot to each other all the time.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I didn't think I liked sex in books, but I'm 1/3rd of the way through Garth Merenghi's TerrorTome and I now realize he's the first (and only) author to do it right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nae posted:

I didn't think I liked sex in books, but I'm 1/3rd of the way through Garth Merenghi's TerrorTome and I now realize he's the first (and only) author to do it right.
Care to spoil the joke? I'd like to get the book but explicit sex scenes are a no-buy for me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Care to spoil the joke? I'd like to get the book but explicit sex scenes are a no-buy for me.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

He whisked off her shoes and panties in one movement, wild like an enraged shark, his bulky totem beating a seductive rhythm. Mary's body felt like it was burning, even though the room was properly air-conditioned. They tried all the positions: on top, doggy, and normal.

Exhausted, they collapsed onto the recently extended sofa-bed. Then a hell beast ate them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, missed that. Not gonna lie, that's pretty great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 15, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That quote's from Darkplace, actually, but he is a master of the craft (writing sex).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I had a look at the preview on Amazon and the protagonist of the first story *starts* by shagging an evil typewriter so I foresee only good things.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That quote's from Darkplace, actually, but he is a master of the craft (writing sex).

actually it's from his long lost classic Juggers but it's an easy mistake to make.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

HopperUK posted:

I had a look at the preview on Amazon and the protagonist of the first story *starts* by shagging an evil typewriter so I foresee only good things.

That typewriter ruins him

anilEhilated posted:

Good news! Garth Merenghi makes sure to tag every sex scene* by stopping and warning you that you're about to have the most erotic experience of your life, one his editors--and the public at large--swore was against good taste.

*maybe one tenth of the sex scenes

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, missed that. Not gonna lie, that's pretty great.

That hell beast needs to show up in other books. A lot of other books. We could probably give it a list of names.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Grimwall posted:

Goodreads readers choice award voting has begun, here is the sci-fi list:
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-science-fiction-books-2022

Fantasy list here:
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-fantasy-books-2022

I'm stoked to see two books that started out as self-pubbed endeavors: Legends & Lattes and The Atlas Six, both of which were picked up by Tor after going viral.

Not that I've read either of them in full :v: the sample for The Atlas Six turned me off massively a couple of months ago with its pretentious and edgy prose, plus a typo on page 2 on the "newly revised and edited" version post Tor acquisition did not bode well.

I've heard good things about Legends & Lattes but it keeps getting bumped down my TBR because, I don't know, I guess the idea of cosy fantasy isn't super compelling to me.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is...fine if you can get past the modern YA-ness of ~deep thoughts~ accompanying teen angst and zero subtlety about the themes involved.

The Golden Enclaves is a satisfying ending to a fun series and way better written.

In a real, bizarre change of pace for me, I have not yet binged The Lost Metal within a day of release. I've read the preview chapters and it is a book I want to read but Tor wants $14.99 USD for the ebook which I'm just like, sorry, no. I'm gonna wait until it's available at my library.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i can't imagine wanting to read anything less than legends and lattes lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Leng posted:

In a real, bizarre change of pace for me, I have not yet binged The Lost Metal within a day of release. I've read the preview chapters and it is a book I want to read but Tor wants $14.99 USD for the ebook which I'm just like, sorry, no. I'm gonna wait until it's available at my library.

If you think that's crazy I saw some Laundry Files book listed on Kindle for $19.99 which one of the most expensive Kindle fiction releases I've ever seen. The hardback was like $7-8 by comparison.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Horizon Burning posted:

i can't imagine wanting to read anything less than legends and lattes lol

Is it a litrpg? If not that could make me want to read it less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I want to read endless pages about how a high-magic espresso machine (w/frothing wand) works in a setting where they don't have steam boilers and how it came in to being and how the coffee beans are sourced in fantasy not-europe