Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Platystemon posted:

You gotta have a noble grow them and post armed guards to protect this strange new crop. Then have the guards take the night off so that the peasants can steal some potatoes for their own fields, which was the plan all along.

I love your hachis, monsieur Parmentier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Lol at the idea of Ethiopia only existing as of the 80s

Ethiopia was founded in the 1880’s, modern Ethiopian government is descended from the EPRDF junta and hasn’t been able to ratify a new constitution yet.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What’s the name of the “meme” thing about how a lot of north/south divides in America correlate to an ancient coastline?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr. Nemo posted:

What’s the name of the “meme” thing about how a lot of north/south divides in America correlate to an ancient coastline?

I don't know about any meme but this is an article discussing the matter:

https://www.deepseanews.com/2012/06/how-presidential-elections-are-impacted-by-a-100-million-year-old-coastline/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Precambrian coastline I think. The short version is that the old coastline (including shallow waters a bit out plus some shifting I think) basically correlates to the Confederate States of America, or more precisely, the parts of those where slavery was popular. The reason is that the coastline basically created very fertile soil, which made cotton production viable, which has modern implications in American demographics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/rammy_c8/status/1586884479901208577

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
There is something very soothing about detailed high res maps.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Belgium is just South Netherlands split away because of religious differences but they pulled the name of an ancient Celtic group that lived in the same general area out of their rear end to sound slightly more legitimate.

I'm sure you were trying to be cute, but the pull comes from inside your rear end then, because the 'Leo Belgicus' (giving maps of the Low Countries the shape of a lion) was a thing from at least the 16th century

SlothfulCobra posted:

French fries probably predate Belgium and the modern concept of a nation-state.

so basically Germany can't claim any sort of invention as national history unless it was invented there after 1871 or what

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

so basically Germany can't claim any sort of invention as national history unless it was invented there after 1871 or what

"of the German Nation" was appended to "Holy Roman Empire" in 1512

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the best German inventions and discoveries were after 1871 anyway. Bacteriology, cloning, Haber process, Ostwald process, PAL TV, spring mattress, heroin, MDMA, dialectical materialism, space rockets, and Sexualwissenschaft.

Pre 1871 is mostly just like "I stuck some letters on a wine press and now the Pope is mad", increasingly larger tubas, and the Easter Bunny.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You are now on the hitlist of the Leibniz-Stiftung.

Prepare to have your limbs differentiated into infinitesimal parts.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think Germans can exactly lay claim to space rockets specifically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
London is 2/3 space.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Count Roland posted:

Why not? A Nazi V-2 was the first rocket to cross the Karman line. It was suborbital but it counts. All the initial US and Soviet space launches used V-2s or exact copies.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Count Roland posted:

Maybe not the first version, but certainly the second.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actually, the rockets were invented by good old Americans

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now good ol' Werner Von Braun is as American as apple pie.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Imagining Werner Von Braun as the German guy in Malcolm in the Middle now.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guavanaut posted:

London is 2/3 space.

Now do publicly accessible green space. A huge amount of the green space in London must consist of the backyards of terraced houses

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

it ain't easy being green (because of all the knife crime)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ras Het posted:

Now do publicly accessible green space.
At least half of that.

London's problem isn't lack of public green space, it's that every decade or so for centuries someone would say "wow, this is becoming a monster, the mother of all metropoles, the city of cities, it needs another park or it'll devour us all."

Space for anything else is the problem.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Pre 1871 is mostly just like "I stuck some letters on a wine press and now the Pope is mad", increasingly larger tubas, and the Easter Bunny.

and communism

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guavanaut posted:

At least half of that.

London's problem isn't lack of public green space, it's that every decade or so for centuries someone would say "wow, this is becoming a monster, the mother of all metropoles, the city of cities, it needs another park or it'll devour us all."

Yeah no I wasn't arguing against London being quite green, just that it's interesting how much green space exists that is hidden from basically the entire city population. Then I started thinking about how 1950s Nordic housing block construction was extremely inefficient in terms of floor space, but rather generous in green space that is open to all and not closed off beyond buildings

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Seems similar to how the commies used to lay out the big building blocks too

Guavanaut posted:

At least half of that.

So I was curious how some other cities stack up and found the source: http://www.worldcitiescultureforum.com/data/of-public-green-space-parks-and-gardens

Interestingly the top one is Oslo with almost 70% "green space"... because it includes all that stuff in the north

But Hong Kong is 40%

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Yeah, all midrise colonies are based on the same underlying thought processes.
The main difference is actually that the westernsuccessful ones were built around train stations that commutes you to a city with diverse jobs. While the sovjet failed ones commute you to a single factory that defines the wealth of your settlement.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BonHair posted:

Actually, the rockets were invented by good old Americans

Weird way to spell Soviets :colbert:

(yeah I know Tsiolkovsky's work wasn't published anywhere and Goddard didn't read it)

also I choose to believe that the story about the Ottoman scientist who launched himself in a rocket in the 1600s is true and we should award him the title

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ChubbyChecker posted:

and communism

Hey now mate where do you think Marx is buried??? It's not Berlin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Britain is under ongoing Dutch occupation since the Glorious Revolution and is thus basically German so he might as well be.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^

So I was curious how some other cities stack up and found the source: http://www.worldcitiescultureforum.com/data/of-public-green-space-parks-and-gardens

Interestingly the top one is Oslo with almost 70% "green space"... because it includes all that stuff in the north

But Hong Kong is 40%

Yeah, any comparison of cities that just uses administrative borders is useless.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Britain is under ongoing Dutch occupation since the Glorious Revolution and is thus basically German so he might as well be.

Britannia's been under German occupation since 410.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Why not? A Nazi V-2 was the first rocket to cross the Karman line. It was suborbital but it counts. All the initial US and Soviet space launches used V-2s or exact copies.

I always forget about the Karman line, which to me is an arbitrary and meaningless point. Orbit or nothing baby.

But yeah, Germans got the Karman line.

And for the orbital stuff yeah Germans did pretty well all the heavy lifting but it was US/Soviet industrial capacity that allowed for the final line to be crossed. Were the Germans themselves ever close to an orbital rocket?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Portugal looking very não é um pais pequeno.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Im the imperial colors in the republican order germany + Alsace-Lorraine

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Macht Deutschland wieder groß. :v:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I don't think Spain's flag has SPAIN written in the middle of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think they got confused with the England flag.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ENGLAN

Staring at the plat maps of my city and obsessing over the ephemerality of existence *is* therapy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

also I choose to believe that the story about the Ottoman scientist who launched himself in a rocket in the 1600s is true and we should award him the title
= the Romans were the first in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Im the imperial colors in the republican order germany + Alsace-Lorraine

How much extra for an East Prussia earring?