Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is kind of incredible Anya saw a vision of her cool spy dad die and came face to face with an actual bomb and only came out of that with a slight traumatization of not being able to read a clock properly.

She's still little enough that she can't really process the potentially horrifying consequences of the stuff she gets involved in

e: like she's aware of them yeah but she doesn't really understand it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

She's still little enough that she can't really process the potentially horrifying consequences of the stuff she gets involved in

e: like she's aware of them yeah but she doesn't really understand it

She's aware it's bad like in her Bondman cartoons, but not how it extends to real life.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Speaking of which, I really liked the bit in a recent episode where Twilight's handler contextualizes the stakes and makes it clear that the be all and end all of their mission is to preserve peace. Maybe not a realistic focus for an intelligence service, but a sympathetic one.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yor is such a Mom

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kiss your wife, Loid.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The pains of not knowing kid schedule.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Desmond doin a little dance killed me and I'm dead

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Desmond doin a little dance killed me and I'm dead

Better than being sold as a Westalis slave.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It may have been a filler episode, but it was a great filler episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, it was in the manga. At least, the George half was, I don't actually remember the Yor half of this episode in the manga.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Seconding that sy-on boy’s dance caught me by surprise and I am so glad they kept using the animation in other shots lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The George half is definitely in the manga, but unless it was in an LN or some volume extra that never made it over the Yor half is completely new. People would have remember Tricycle Gangster Anya.

I suspect the anime team agrees about the lack of Yor focus.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hahhaah this is amazing.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Seconding that sy-on boy’s dance caught me by surprise and I am so glad they kept using the animation in other shots lmao

meme material tbh

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

witchcore ricepunk posted:

https://twitter.com/shama_Flower/status/1591514849661825025

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Anya's deadpan stare during the entire choral routine was fantastic visual comedy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

The George half is definitely in the manga, but unless it was in an LN or some volume extra that never made it over the Yor half is completely new. People would have remember Tricycle Gangster Anya.

I suspect the anime team agrees about the lack of Yor focus.

Yor's casual superhuman feats will never get old.

The reveal that Loid is there and sees her wandering the courtyards yet does not see her climbing the walls like a human spider is icing on the cake.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tsob posted:

I would assume there's some selection bias there, in that you really only hear about the cases where younger siblings successfully out-do their older siblings, but that there's probably a pretty high rate of burn out for younger siblings trying to out-do older siblings and just not being able to keep it up long term, eventually transitioning to other things if not just collapsing emotionally and mentally from the effort in worst case scenarios.

I'm burnt out just from competing with my younger sibling!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Kiss your wife, Loid.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I swear this isn't spoiler bait but drat when's Yor actually gonna do assassin stuff again? She's been laundered into a nice mom instead of someone with no moral qualms about emotionlessly murdering people that we haven't seen since her introduction.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yor is playing a part still. Remember she was basically mother to her little brother the Secret Police agent. So she's always had this dual sided nature to her. She worries a lot too about being a good mother because she isn't aware of Loid's secret and thinks he's a simple psychiatrist. If she lets the mask drop she's worried she'll be arrested even though she's actually immune to prosecution.

Also there was an interview where the author admits that assassin Yor is difficult to write for and still fit into the family unit. So she gets çomedy routines instead of stabbing people to death.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I guess it's nice to hear the author admit that. I told myself to stop complaining about the more serious aspects of this series because it feels like it's meant to be an action comedy instead of like Metal Gear Solid political intrigue, but it just bugged me that Yor isn't as fleshed out and she gets superpowers from a blurb of an explanation about her past.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder if the series at one point in the author's mind had a much darker tone maybe not "originally intended" but played with, because between the slice of life and wholesomeness we get these glimpses into this completely tonally different show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if the series at one point in the author's mind had a much darker tone maybe not "originally intended" but played with, because between the slice of life and wholesomeness we get these glimpses into this completely tonally different show.

This is much lighter than the author's previous work. He's just showing bits of his usual under the surface.

(His editor recommended he lighten up. His editor is very good at his job.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even if they don't show her murdering on screen, it'd be nice to have her job be the source of comedic drama, instead of it always being loid's job

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The difference is that Yor is better at her job than Loid is at his. That, plus the nature of it, makes it harder for a comedic mission. Yor isn't going to humor a bad assassin who talks throughout the process, she'll just take them out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

The difference is that Yor is better at her job than Loid is at his. That, plus the nature of it, makes it harder for a comedic mission. Yor isn't going to humor a bad assassin who talks throughout the process, she'll just take them out.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how you could possibly make a Yor version of the Daybreak story work, but I'm also having fun trying.

Like so far I'm imagining a bad assassin who is only knocking people out and Yor facepalms and finishes off the unconscious targets. Kinda funny but also pretty gruesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yor's mission is to keep the bad assassin alive so he can be seen killing a target, it ends up being baby's day out.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Hm. If you wanted an assassin who talks throughout the process, then an eccentric colleague or rival would be more suitable for a Yor story - someone she has to work with or can't easily beat. It wouldn't be a straight-up Daybreak analogue, although they'd probably still fill the role of 'annoyance who really gets on her nerves'.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pinwiz11 posted:

The difference is that Yor is better at her job than Loid is at his.

I don't think that's even kind of true. Not that I think Yor isn't amazing at her job, but the show has gone out of its way repeatedly to show that Loid is an exceptional spy who excels at a lot of things. He's struggling with this one specific mission, but only because the mission calls for a genius child who can excel at schooling and Anya isn't an academic or physical genius despite her other strengths, so nothing he does can cover for that entirely.

Loid and Yor are both great at what they do, and I don't think the show has ever said or implied one is better than the other within their specific field.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 16, 2022

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The thing About Yor is that she's very cool and a good mom who tries hard.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TwoPair posted:

Like so far I'm imagining a bad assassin who is only knocking people out and Yor facepalms and finishes off the unconscious targets. Kinda funny but also pretty gruesome.

Dude, Yakuza 4 spoilers

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I'm just sitting here waiting for Yor to get assassination orders for Loid.

Honestly off the top of my head. Yor has to assassinate a bad dude but he's *incredibly* lucky. So like she's got everything perfectly set up, tosses a dagger and he bends over to tie his shoe or whatever and you have the gag run for as long as it stays funny.

Or y'know, she has to kill a target that Loid's been told to protect and they can't figure out why their opponent is so loving good at their job.

And honestly that second one can develop a fair bit: Loid gets asked to investigate this ludicrously effective assassin and keeps unearthing more and more evidence that it's Yor but dismisses it because he just doesn't buy that she could do that or because Anya covers for Yor.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 16, 2022

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well if this season ends where I thinks it's going to end we are going to see Yor doing some assassination ajacent work for the final arc including what has been one of the best bits of action in the manga so far.
So just be a little patient, it's coming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yor's character would work a lot better if we understood her motives. She wants to be a good mom because that was the role she had with her brother as orphans, okay. She wanted to marry someone to keep her assassin job going uninterrupted... but why exactly? She's been a good assassin over the years but that shouldn't be the sole reason to keep doing it now as an adult. It's not a matter of raising money for her brother anymore and she isn't concerned about politics either. "I've always done it" is a pretty piss poor motive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also what is the nature of her work? Does the person paying her have noble goals (she seemed to imply she killed "bad" people at one point) and is surgically removing threats similar to how WISE is or is it more mercenary where anyone could be a target if the price is right?

As was said she has a cover job that pays and doesn't seem to be living a lavish lifestyle so why does she need to keep doing it to support just herself? I guess it could be something akin to "I have never actually thought about NOT doing it since I've been doing it for so long" but that's not really been expressed.

As a TV viewer this might have already been answered in the comic and I just have to wait.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The two main reasons are “protecting the peace,” which she genuinely believes she is doing by eliminating threats to said peace, and also because she really, really likes it. See how hot and bothered she gets whenever she’s evaluating the potential of something as a weapon.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Yor's character would work a lot better if we understood her motives. She wants to be a good mom because that was the role she had with her brother as orphans, okay. She wanted to marry someone to keep her assassin job going uninterrupted... but why exactly? She's been a good assassin over the years but that shouldn't be the sole reason to keep doing it now as an adult. It's not a matter of raising money for her brother anymore and she isn't concerned about politics either. "I've always done it" is a pretty piss poor motive.
It's also a very realistic one. Sometimes you just get stuck doing what you've always been good at because that's what you've always done, regardless of whether or not you enjoy it. It's comfortable and it would take something big to shake you out of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eggplant Squire posted:

As was said she has a cover job that pays and doesn't seem to be living a lavish lifestyle so why does she need to keep doing it to support just herself? I guess it could be something akin to "I have never actually thought about NOT doing it since I've been doing it for so long" but that's not really been expressed.

It hasn't been explicitly stated, but I do think you could take that from the joy she felt when Anya and Loid liked her cooking. Her inner thoughts are that she thought she wanted to learn to cook to protect her cover story so could continue killing, but just having them acknowledge her makes her really happy. Not so much "I don't want to keep killing when I have this" or anything, and more "I never even thought about a life outside that" and now she's starting to find joy in other things as well as killing to protect peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Saoshyant posted:

This is covered in Yor’s first proper arc, but the anime won’t be getting there this season.