Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Plorkyeran posted:

elon wants to own it, not use it. very big difference.

oh I get that but that shits offputting, I just doubt people will want to stick around to use the everything app that has a hundred buttons on its home screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
agreed, sounds like elon needs to create a new phone platform from first principles

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

eyyy! you take-a my palm, i give-a you the other palm! right-a in u face! mama mia!

ayyy! I don likea the computer! Why you-a do this to an old man eh? hasta la pronto, mamma mia!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

agreed, sounds like elon needs to create a new phone platform from first principles

you know musk would just end up rebuilding maemo

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Has he threatened to rip out all the Scala and replace it with C++?

(or maybe Python lol)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ryanrs posted:

Has he threatened to rip out all the Scala and replace it with C++?

(or maybe Python lol)

'rewrite everything in python' is so 2008

we rewrite everything in rust now

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

love 2 work all night at my third company the same day I testified in a case about me neglecting my first company

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Glad I caught this one before it went under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q35PgSXhKg

What a dork.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 17, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maed posted:

love 2 work all night at my third company the same day I testified in a case about me neglecting my first company

*5th company

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psiox posted:

sometimes you can even have some services on top of others but that makes the henge shakier

you need to network through a dolmen controller

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
It begins at the 10 minute mark of the count-down or so.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

i can understand why the shareholders have the right to sue, but from an investment standpoint, it seems crazy to spend years trying to sue the company into being responsibly managed. why wouldn't you just sell your shares and put your money elsewhere?

Yeah the lawsuit was filed around 2018 when TSLA was about $20. A year a ago it hit $400. He could possibly successfully argue that his other activities contribute to fulfilling his main duty as CEO: providing value to shareholders.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chestnut santabag posted:

Yeah the lawsuit was filed around 2018 when TSLA was about $20. A year a ago it hit $400. He could possibly successfully argue that his other activities contribute to fulfilling his main duty as CEO: providing value to shareholders.

The less time I spend at Tesla, the better it is for the company

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593080733018779648

this man is burning the midnight oil and sleeping at the office because it's incredibly urgent to have a first-party reimplementation of twitlonger

https://twitter.com/sillyrobin/status/1589012545091686400?s=46&t=titSBD_brgspQCFgwygVgA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/nov/16/tesla-recall-australia-steering-fault-after-fatal-crash-china

quote:

More than 1,000 Teslas recalled in Australia over steering fault, days after fatal crash in China
Transport department says software bug in power assist steering could increase risk of ‘an accident causing serious injury or death’

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

turning twitter into his "everything app" is guaranteed to fail just because it's already called twitter. does he think people are gonna say "oi, tweet me a bird dollar!" it just fails at an adoptable level

"PayPal me" sort of worked but is already outclassed, and as for using twitter's infrastructure for payments....lol,lmao even

It also will likely rule out mass adoption in parts of the world that have decent payment infrastructure. I could send money in two seconds from my banking app, or send a payment request link with a pre-filled value to the same effect. Why would I want to use a social media app that is full of Americans sending money to each other?

Edit: and yeah, PayPal has a 20 odd year head start on adoption for payments not covered by the above

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 17, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bustin keaton posted:

It also will likely rule out mass adoption in parts of the world that have decent payment infrastructure. I could send money in two seconds from my banking app, or send a payment request link with a pre-filled value to the same effect. Why would I want to use a social media app that is full of Americans sending money to each other?

oh I forgot how terrible US banking infrastructure is!

also, and I assume in the US this is not the case, banks got pushed into taking responsibility for people getting scammed in some areas so there are things like account owner name verification for transfers and AML/fraud processes, none of which elon would implement because he's a moron and apparently things that doing "send $1000 @weedlordbonerhitler420" is a good idea

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

remember elon “all user input is error” musk

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

bustin keaton posted:

Edit: and yeah, PayPal has a 20 odd year head start on adoption for payments not covered by the above

paypal actually doesn't work all that well in a lot of big markets.
in india and turkey, for example, it's illegal for them to offer wallet services because it doesn't have a local bank license, so people can't keep a balance and it's just a credit card intermediary

local payment systems that do have a license (or have partnered with a local bank) are eating paypal's lunch. it helps that they don't try to impose american views on how money should work and have some local culture knowledge to inform their policies

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EricBauman posted:

paypal actually doesn't work all that well in a lot of big markets.
in india and turkey, for example, it's illegal for them to offer wallet services because it doesn't have a local bank license, so people can't keep a balance and it's just a credit card intermediary

local payment systems that do have a license (or have partnered with a local bank) are eating paypal's lunch. it helps that they don't try to impose american views on how money should work and have some local culture knowledge to inform their policies

another big reason, i imagine since i'm not american, is that it's popular in america because their internet banking offerings are meager and often not very good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Maed posted:

that's how lonny handles all of his companies, wives, children

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

champagne posting posted:

another big reason, i imagine since i'm not american, is that it's popular in america because their internet banking offerings are meager and often not very good
Yeah, I'm using a credit union that doesn't like me to connect investment accounts

so I was getting around that by depositing cashier's checks because I worked right next to a branch of the CU

now I don't so o o o o o

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is the most important part of this whole stupid saga to me. elon is threatening the computer toucher way of life, and it needs to blow up in his face, or all of our employers are gonna start thinking "man, maybe i don't need that team of SREs after all"

lol my employer already decided long ago we don't need SREs

or more than 1 developer per 3-4 service

that's service, not microservice

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Expo70 posted:

Glad I caught this one before it went under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q35PgSXhKg

What a dork.

lol reddit has like zero verification of who anyone is and the "proof" of verification post someone does when they do an ama is to post the verification on their verified twitter

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol reddit has like zero verification of who anyone is and the "proof" of verification post someone does when they do an ama is to post the verification on their verified twitter

yeah but people love him there

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

Sounds great, let's charge :20bux: for it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593080733018779648

this man is burning the midnight oil and sleeping at the office because it's incredibly urgent to have a first-party reimplementation of twitlonger

Putting macro blogs on my micro blog.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah but people love him there

reddit is so siloed that this is simultaneously true and false

it's like the ultimate echo chamber

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

reddit public sentiment (things that get posted in /r/all subreddits) shifted about 18 months ago - front page reddit loving hates Elon Musk and they finally understood how lovely and profoundly dumb Elon is.

There's still a smattering of bootlickers in the comments though. There's even a "realtesla" subreddit whose goal is to actively discuss tesla without impeding speech with having elons balls in the mouth of every poster.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Reddit has a way more sophisticated system where people post pictures of themselves holding a sign with their username and date.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Slotducks posted:

There's still a smattering of bootlickers in the comments though. There's even a "realtesla" subreddit whose goal is to actively discuss tesla without impeding speech with having elons balls in the mouth of every poster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslainvestorsclub/

I like the opposite of realtesla, teslainvestorsclub, where NO bad news is allowed and you cannot criticize elon. Scroll through the sub and you wouldn't even know musk is running twitter right now.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1593144267236835330

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

Reddit has a way more sophisticated system where people post pictures of themselves holding a sign with their username and date.

they used to just post those photos on their twitter and link to it from their reddit post lol

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Among the automotive enthusiast crowd, Tesla is almost universally despised. people pick up on the bad build quality and lack of dealer service.

Lately Ive been wondering what Tesla plans to do with their current lineup of cars. They havent restyled them since they came out and all the other manufacturers ev’s look space age and futuristic while teslas are starting to look more like a mid 90’s ford taurus. they’re gonna look antiquated quick

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i get the feeling employment law actually does work that way and the current supreme court would agree

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

they used to just post those photos on their twitter and link to it from their reddit post lol

yeah they still do it lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslainvestorsclub/

I like the opposite of realtesla, teslainvestorsclub, where NO bad news is allowed and you cannot criticize elon. Scroll through the sub and you wouldn't even know musk is running twitter right now.

I went to one thread and it's so chalk full of vaporized copium that I think I got a contact-high
https://old.reddit.com/r/teslainvestorsclub/comments/yx0kp5/elon_i_expect_to_reduce_my_time_at_twitter_and/

good lord

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yummycheese posted:

Among the automotive enthusiast crowd, Tesla is almost universally despised. people pick up on the bad build quality and lack of dealer service.

Lately Ive been wondering what Tesla plans to do with their current lineup of cars. They havent restyled them since they came out and all the other manufacturers ev’s look space age and futuristic while teslas are starting to look more like a mid 90’s ford taurus. they’re gonna look antiquated quick
yeah like when the prius is giving off "model 3 but nicer" vibes, the design team at tesla is surely starting to sweat

https://twitter.com/bcbrownell/status/1592864791869411328?s=46&t=cggMifOxeNPUrx1a70UpTw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

yummycheese posted:

Lately Ive been wondering what Tesla plans to do with their current lineup of cars.
Any major refresh would need to be Elon Approved as sufficiently futuristic and cool (built in turbine! Transforming wheelbase! Quantum processor!) so it would be a poo poo show.

Ironically also a way to juice sales with folks going NEED NEW ONE TO LOOK COOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah like when the prius is giving off "model 3 but nicer" vibes, the design team at tesla is surely starting to sweat

lol @ “Tesla design team”

it’s elon