Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lih posted:

i was kinda disappointed that germa just ended up as allies of convenience to the straw hats by the end of the arc and that sanji didn't get to cathartically beat up judge

He did emotionally beat him up by saving him and literally lording over them while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Living well is the best revenge

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

lih posted:

i was kinda disappointed that germa just ended up as allies of convenience to the straw hats by the end of the arc and that sanji didn't get to cathartically beat up judge (though he did disown him at least). would have been nice to see reiju be able to escape from judge too, her situation is pretty bleak. even just something like judge being captured by the big mom pirates and reiju escaping with the others and trying to teach them how to be better people despite their lack of emotion would have been nice to see
We're not done with the Germa yet. Reiju X Zoro.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

He did emotionally beat him up by saving him and literally lording over them while doing it.
Yeah, beating people up to establish superiority is Judge's thing. Helping people is Sanji's thing. He learned that from his father. Zeff.

Sanji wasn't just going to beat Judge at his own game, as satisfying as that would have been, he rejected the game entirely.

(Sanji is also very good at beating people up.)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one of the best parts of wci is when judge insults sanji a ton as they're leaving and luffy does his schtick asking "why is he complimenting you?"

found family is the best OP theme

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

Davi D. Carradine

:captainpop:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat even by oda's wild standards the women in film gold are drawn insanely

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, beating people up to establish superiority is Judge's thing. Helping people is Sanji's thing. He learned that from his father. Zeff.

Sanji wasn't just going to beat Judge at his own game, as satisfying as that would have been, he rejected the game entirely.

(Sanji is also very good at beating people up.)

yeah i get that but it's a shonen series though!!! cathartic battles are what it's all about

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s not like Whole Cake was light on cathartic battles, and we the audience already know that Sanji would beat down his dad or any of his brothers 1 on 1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I've heard the Pound thing a lot, and my takeaway is this.

Pound's fake-out death was grim, tragic, and beautiful. It was a wonderful moment of someone who was completely helpless managing to save his beloved daughter. In that moment, he was willing to die with a smile just to congratulate Chiffon on her life.

Oda is a softie. He has two daughters that he clearly adores and would do anything for. In a world like One Piece where characters with the strongest wills matter the most, I can't possibly imagine Oda killing off a character who so closely correlates to him as a dad when he could instead say "Pound loves his daughters so much he survived being cleaved by a flaming blade."

Also, the first time we see Pound he gets stabbed in the head by Randolph the rabbit Homie and doesn't seem to pay it much mind. Maybe he has a big, dumb, strong, durable noggin. Perhaps Pound will be the one to wear the Big Hat? Only time will tell.

Pound was tough enough to shag Big Mom, he can probably take some damage.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

Judge falling to pieces when they're about to be killed while one of his sons goes "well we might've cried about our imminent death if you didn't make us sociopaths. Oh well" is also pretty good.
Judge trying to berate Sanji again at the end of the arc but having Luffy reply with his "... but that's what we LIKE about him" line is a really fantastic moment too

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Guy A. Person posted:

It’s not like Whole Cake was light on cathartic battles, and we the audience already know that Sanji would beat down his dad or any of his brothers 1 on 1

We know Ichiji and Niji are mostly jokes against any Yonko crew who aren't mooks, but the only evidence we have of Sanji being stronger than Judge is through proxy with Queen.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 16, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Delphisage posted:

We know Ichiji and Niji are mostly jokes against anyone who's not a mook, but the only evidence we have of Sanji being stronger than Judge is through proxy with Queen.

Sanji went easy on Judge during their sparring and even then Judge only got a hit on Sanji by using a mook as a human shield and then stabbing Sanji through the mook. Like Sanji just uses normal attacks and poo poo, doesn't even Diable Jambe. Meanwhile Judge is decked out in his raid suit.

I also assume he doesn't have the cyborg reinforcements that his children have.

Also the comparisons that Queen makes with Judge are their capability as scientists. Dunno why you'd even think the two are on the same level as fighters. Queen's like Kaido's second strongest dude after King, Judge doesn't hold a loving candle to him let alone Jack or even the stronger Tobi Roppo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like everything we see of Judge implies he's weaker than his enhanced children or the higher rank of an Emperor's crew, both mentally and physically.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Delphisage posted:

We know Ichiji and Niji are mostly jokes against any Yonko crew who aren't mooks, but the only evidence we have of Sanji being stronger than Judge is through proxy with Queen.
??? Judge and Sanji fought at the start of WCI and daddy would have got his rear end filleted if he hadn't brought out the meatshields

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like everything we see of Judge implies he's weaker than his enhanced children or the higher rank of an Emperor's crew, both mentally and physically.

Yeah Judge himself might be a New World capable fighter but the overwhelming impression that I got was that the kids through their genetic and cybernetic modding were stronger than him. Sanji gets beat by Judge in a brief fight largely because he is distracted by his own memories and Judge's human shields but even then he isn't hurt that much at all (he's actually significantly less roughed up than Yonji is from his off-screen fight with Sanji, where he apparently got the entire side of his face caved in by one of Sanji's kicks)

Even if Sanji was only on-par or weaker than some of his brothers as of Whole Cake he's certainly stronger now post-Queen fight

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey guys, just a heads up that spoilers are out, with raws. Be careful if you’re looking to avoid spoilers!

Of course, the only important spoiler to share: There IS a break next week.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm not one to believe Judge would just overlook augmenting himself to the same degree as his sons, especially when those Raid Suits are proven to actively augment any compatible wearers. I don't doubt Sanji's stronger than him now, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Delphisage posted:

I'm not one to believe Judge would just overlook augmenting himself to the same degree as his sons, especially when those Raid Suits are proven to actively augment any compatible wearers. I don't doubt Sanji's stronger than him now, though.
You think that chin is natural?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Where did we land with ok translations that aren't TCB? There's a full scan out with a translation edited in, that seems not noticeably bad.

Said translation: https://coloredmanga.com/manhwa/onepiecescanlations/chapter-1067/

edit: dropped the spoiler tags around it. CHAPTER!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 17, 2022

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Of course Vegapunk’s artificial devil fruit was a “failure” because the dragon form is pink instead of blue :allears:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This one is actually good quality scan for a wed night release.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Where did we land with ok translations that aren't TCB? There's a full scan out with a translation edited in, that seems not noticeably bad.

Said translation: https://coloredmanga.com/manhwa/onepiecescanlations/chapter-1067/
The spoiler in this quote is just a link to the chapter, for anyone else who was wondering. I was scared to mouse over it 'cause you didn't say what it was and I was worried you were talking about the chapter contents!

The scan is actually pretty okay looking. The translation is pretty awkward English but intelligible. I don't see any reason to not post it if folks want to see what it's like.

As for the chapter: It's so cool! An ancient robot that attacked Mariejois 200 years ago! Wow!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thought I had, tangentially related to the new chapter: Originally people were theorizing that Jewelry Bonney was wanted by the World Government to keep the higher-ups functionally immortal with her Devil Fruit, but now it seems more likely that their plan was to use her to age up the Seraphims to adulthood to unlock their full capabilities. But why does Lucci say the government no longer has any use for her? Have they found a way to get around that? Maybe they've managed to copy her power, like they did with Senor Pink.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Whoa, a lot happening in this chapter. Looks like Vegapunk and Bonney will be travelling with the Straw Hats; Vegapunk's knowledge will probably be useful for giving at least some of the Straw Hats further powerups. Good to see that Oda hasn't forgotten about the events of CP9's Independent Report. Robin mentioning an exact year when discrimination against Fishmen started is a bizarre line, but it might come across more sensibly in a better translation. And finally, CP0 is kind of screwed now that Vegapunk and the Straw Hats know they're there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
good chapter

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

One Piece (or well, Luffy) never actually offing his enemies make for such an amazing intertwined world.

I'm so, so excited for the Lucci/Kaku reunion.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The English seems awkward and contradictory.

I'll wait.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Of course Vegapunk’s artificial devil fruit was a “failure” because the dragon form is pink instead of blue :allears:

:bignews:

:perfect:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I love the little mask on Lucci's pigeon. :allears:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Kuma is just trying to get to his bible

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
luffy is great in this chapter lmao

i'm guessing vegapunk wants to seek asylum on elbaf? maybe even meet up with the revolutionaries there? what happens if cp0 just destroys punk records though?

Inadequately posted:

Thought I had, tangentially related to the new chapter: Originally people were theorizing that Jewelry Bonney was wanted by the World Government to keep the higher-ups functionally immortal with her Devil Fruit, but now it seems more likely that their plan was to use her to age up the Seraphims to adulthood to unlock their full capabilities. But why does Lucci say the government no longer has any use for her? Have they found a way to get around that? Maybe they've managed to copy her power, like they did with Senor Pink.

i still think it's way more likely that they wanted bonney as a hostage to force kuma to co-operate, i don't think her powers really come into it. if they did just want her powers for something they could have just killed her for her fruit, it doesn't seem like that's secret enough for the wg not to be aware of it as an option.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bonney as a hostage to force kuma into compliance doesn't really make any sense. she was only captured by blackbeard and then the marines after kuma's personality was removed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

but was it really removed?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Almost certainly. Though Vegapunk's clearly not one to let information be lost, so he's got to have Kuma's personality saved somewhere on Egghead.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

After this chapter, I think it got swapped out with a link to Vegapunk's consciousness since Kuma responded to the call-to-arms in the same way that the other Vegapunk clones did. I'm assuming Kuma's consciousness is being stored somewhere else in a secure location.

Also, the whole bit about Kaido's Lineage Factor being turned into a slightly imperfect Devil Fruit makes me think that Devil Fruits are spawned out of a person's DNA and that making things like Funkfreed basically involves DNA splicing, but using different terminology to describe the same process since most people in One Piece can't understand the process the way we do in our reality in 2022.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Addendum to theory: I think the person that makes Bonney’s powers obsolete is Shinobu. CP0 witnessed the raid on Onigashima, and must have figured out that Momonosuke got permanently aged up. If their aim is just to age up the Seraphims, then Shinobu’s irreversible power is all upside - can’t be countered by Haki, can’t be reversed with any other sort of Devil Fruit canceling power.

I don’t think the World Gov has a way to reliably respawn a specific Devil Fruit power - if they do, they must have figured it out very recently, given that their policy for the Level 6 prisoners on Impel Down was “lock them up forever and let them rot” rather than “just kill them and take their very useful Devil Fruit power for one of our officers”. Of course, now that it’s clear Vegapunk can perfectly copy Devil Fruit powers with no apparent harm to the user, anything’s on the table now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm hoping the seraphim aren't the focus of the endgame fights; they're cool from a story perspective, but to actually fight they're basically a mute version of the zombies from the ninja war in Naruto, so hopefully they're just there to keep the wider cast tied up and give them all a cool little hero moment.

Kuma being the exception of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Inadequately posted:

Addendum to theory: I think the person that makes Bonney’s powers obsolete is Shinobu. CP0 witnessed the raid on Onigashima, and must have figured out that Momonosuke got permanently aged up. If their aim is just to age up the Seraphims, then Shinobu’s irreversible power is all upside - can’t be countered by Haki, can’t be reversed with any other sort of Devil Fruit canceling power.

I don’t think the World Gov has a way to reliably respawn a specific Devil Fruit power - if they do, they must have figured it out very recently, given that their policy for the Level 6 prisoners on Impel Down was “lock them up forever and let them rot” rather than “just kill them and take their very useful Devil Fruit power for one of our officers”. Of course, now that it’s clear Vegapunk can perfectly copy Devil Fruit powers with no apparent harm to the user, anything’s on the table now.

I would love to see a flashback of the Marines trying to spawn Luffy’s fruit only for it to comically slip out of their grasp over centuries