Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

Close to half of those are probably H1-B employees:

edit: it’s weird to me that that data was public.

I feel so bad for anyone in that situation. Trapped working for Elon when he's been such a cruel rear end in a top hat to everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

raminasi posted:

their “argument” comes from 1) declaring that you have to choose between helping people now and helping people later and 2) assuming a degree of future suffering so great that it justifies (by (1)) delaying eliminating suffering in the present beyond any of our lifetimes and then (and this is the most important part) 3) just loving around doing whatever you wanted to do in the first place instead of helping people, because now you’ve convinced yourself it’s righteous

it loving sucks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

Close to half of those are probably H1-B employees:

edit: it’s weird to me that that data was public.

oof, yeah, it really sucks for people who are basically in a situation where they have to choose between facing daily abuse from elon or being deported :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I feel like the answer will be "no", but do visa employees have any type of longer-term contract in connection to the visa that would prevent the employer from saying "Last week you were full remote and full time, this week you must be in the physical office 60 hours a week or your rear end is fired."?

At will employment!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like the answer will be "no", but do visa employees have any type of longer-term contract in connection to the visa that would prevent the employer from saying "Last week you were full remote and full time, this week you must be in the physical office 60 hours a week or your rear end is fired."?

At will employment!

looks like there is a 60 day grace period for you to transfer your visa to a new place of employment after your last day of employment. Also if you Google it the first thing it says after you know you’re losing your job is “hire a lawyer.”

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

nah. there are a lot of rear end in a top hat and right-wingers in econ but it's also the social science with (by far) the highest standards of evidence and a lot of empirical research with leftish conclusions gets published and well-cited. but the people that get quoted as "economists" in the media are v often like, right-wing think tank or chamber of commerce guys and that really skews the perception of what the discipline is actually up to~

Sweevo posted:

economists made up a fake nobel prize to give themselves

economics isn't a science. people doing actual science related to economic concepts are usually sociologists and anthropologists. economists are just a way to justify the status quo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

I have no idea legally but he was saying "you'll be fired but you'll get severance" so it seems plausible that at 4:20 he could say "we've decided not to fire people after all so there's no need to pay severance"

per other tweets they've already tried to say "we don't have to pay you severance, you just resigned", no idea how accurate any of that is, but it's not surprising

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah the h1 data is legally required to published. pre levels fyi it was a big source for salary comps

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1593343864932270081

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
remember how there was a bunch of handwringing about people working from home at multiple jobs/contracts simultaneously? more people need to compare that to these fuckers like ol' musky collecting compensation for the same role at multiple companies

https://twitter.com/JakeSwearingen/status/1593328033028608005

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

same with me (all crypto spam). It's never been this bad.

you had one loving job my man.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

akadajet posted:

they should just leave and watch the thing implode from afar

no unionising would be way funnier

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

elon would 100% fire them for trying to organise and add the nlrb to the collection of government agencies coming after him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

remember how there was a bunch of handwringing about people working from home at multiple jobs/contracts simultaneously? more people need to compare that to these fuckers like ol' musky collecting compensation for the same role at multiple companies

https://twitter.com/JakeSwearingen/status/1593328033028608005

what a twist!

elon musk was the ghost employee all along!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

economics isn't a science. people doing actual science related to economic concepts are usually sociologists and anthropologists. economists are just a way to justify the status quo

sociology isn't a science. anthropology is, though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

elon would 100% fire them for trying to organise and add the nlrb to the collection of government agencies coming after him

the nlrb is already among the government agencies coming after him

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

well, pretending to come after him at least. google fired a lot of us who organized the union for obvious sham reasons and the nlrb was, you know, “looking into it very strongly” or whatever until everyone stopped thinking about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the nlrb is already among the government agencies coming after him

was gonna say lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm sure twitter really needs this. Pay your :eightbux: and get priority up votes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593265634707533824

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bugsy posted:

I'm sure twitter really needs this. Pay your :eightbux: and get priority up votes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593265634707533824

wait what it doesn't already do this?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

nah. there are a lot of rear end in a top hat and right-wingers in econ but it's also the social science with (by far) the highest standards of evidence and a lot of empirical research with leftish conclusions gets published and well-cited. but the people that get quoted as "economists" in the media are v often like, right-wing think tank or chamber of commerce guys and that really skews the perception of what the discipline is actually up to~

Highest standards of evidence if and only if it is fit into a linear regression model, preferably with an RCT. Nothing qualitative at all. Most of the field is irrelevant trivia that can sometimes support center-left policy conclusions but is not strongly committed to anything other than sophistry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect paid promotion for individual comments and dms is his big idea and he needs payment infrastructure so he doesn’t have to pay apple and google 30% off the top

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

wait what it doesn't already do this?

I mean yes that’s literally (one part of what idiots call) The Algorithm

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The_Franz posted:

that guy is absolutely the kind of wiener who wore a bow tie to high school

e: and 100% those kids can't wait to be out of those hot, itchy clothes

I knew a guy at my high school who wore a tweed suit, boater hat and cane to school. guy looked like the music man

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

qirex posted:

I suspect paid promotion for individual comments and dms is his big idea and he needs payment infrastructure so he doesn’t have to pay apple and google 30% off the top

luckily implementing payment infrastructure is really easy. it's just data, after all...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sociology isn't a science. anthropology is, though

as long as we agree that economics aren't science

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mystes posted:

I have no idea legally but he was saying "you'll be fired but you'll get severance" so it seems plausible that at 4:20 he could say "we've decided not to fire people after all so there's no need to pay severance"

Here's the "(il)legally":

https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1593144267236835330

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

ok a little more googling

ok interesting so they ran a couple of abusive gig economy companies and then dropped into some VC failson positions right out of stanford, and now publish rich gently caress self-actualization woo garbage. what else are they up do?

i'm not going to post the rest of the article because you get the gist. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhh these fucks. how the gently caress does this kind of person exist

https://www.entrepreneur.com/leadership/the-bizarrely-authoritarian-us-education-system/425668

https://twitter.com/bdmcclay/status/1593357603400482817

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol jeez poor kid

thats better than x æ iii or whatever, but not by much

on a related note it's 5:30 ET, wonder how many non-managerial employees twitter has left

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

testicular torsten

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the name is something, but what really gets me is "according to his parents' calculations". like he can't just launch python and type 8**11 to see for himself?

e: oh wait, they're referring to the 3 year old i guess? i thought they meant the parents.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

1. gently caress i hate these people

2. the article says that they are both "non-neurotypical;" not clear what the man has, but for the woman it is apparently an adult diagnosis of autism, but that doesn't explain the utter dementedness of naming your daughter TITAN INVICTUS

3. gently caress i hate these people

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

silicon valley turbonerds have reinvented the quiverfull movement

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Beeftweeter posted:

on a related note it's 5:30 ET, wonder how many non-managerial employees twitter has left

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1593368576777396226

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

yesssssssssssssssss

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bad Purchase posted:

the name is something, but what really gets me is "according to his parents' calculations". like he can't just launch python and type 8**11 to see for himself?

it's such a gross racist idiotic way of looking at heredity too

- each of the 7 billion descendants in the 11th generation has less than 0.1% of their DNA from this original pair of ubermenschen. surely at that ratio it's effectively meaningless, right?

- unless they believe that a single drop of their brilliant genius blood is all it takes?

- or they plan for their eight billion descendants to all start loving each other at every level to keep the bloodline pure?

- barf

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

- each of the 7 billion descendants in the 11th generation has less than 0.1% of their DNA from this original pair of ubermenschen. surely at that ratio it's effectively meaningless, right?

nope! time for inbreeding!

the habsburgs are back, baby!! hell yeah!!!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The_Franz posted:

silicon valley turbonerds have reinvented the quiverfull movement

Does Agile stand in for Christianity in this situation?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Looks like he got his 75% cut in staff.

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1593154189345316864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
apparently http://joinmastodon.com is blocked on twitter now