Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
dibs on that load-bearing mac mini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Kissinger trending really got my hopes up :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i also want a new office chair. lmk when it happens

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

gschmidl posted:

Saved for posterity

https://i.imgur.com/CT7Zugo.mp4

also a dozen pages belated lol at "Epstein-Boer syndrome".

lmao@ space Karen

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Is this what it was like to watch Trump be president when you weren't from the US or a county he was liable to nuke?

Not really. Watching trump from outside the us wasn't actually that fun because he actually harmed people and there was a big lost of faith in humanity attached to all of it, it was rather sad

Elon Twitter is on the contrary pure, unadulterated lols

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FMguru posted:

stop wasting my time you ratfaced turd

dying to be someone that gets to hang up on ole lonny

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Supposedly there are components, that, once broken, cannot come back online. Or at least without an incredible amount of effort. Just going on gut feeling, there’s a good chance it will die early next week, Elon will say “um, I meant to do that. X will be here soon!” And just walk away, while the scavengers show up to buy the office chairs and servers. Hell, I might be one of them.

How likely is mass data/tweet loss, even if whoever runs the place want to make them available again?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I requested my twitter archive earlier tonight, it might not be processed in time though

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Kissinger trending really got my hopes up :(

:same:

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
https://twitter.com/glitchdagger/status/1592939597453201408?s=20&t=iy9QxtKbV9E1HVBbaylMaA

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

icantfindaname posted:

I requested my twitter archive earlier tonight, it might not be processed in time though

Like there's anybody left to still do it lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/technology/twitter-elon-musk-ftc.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

quote:

Mr. Musk’s team also held meetings with undecided employees who are key to Twitter’s operations to try to persuade them to stay, three people said. In his pitch, Mr. Musk said that he knew how to win and that those who wanted to win should join him, one person who spoke with him said.

In one of those meetings, some employees were summoned to a conference room in the San Francisco office while others called in via videoconference. As the 5 p.m. deadline passed, some who had called in began hanging up, seemingly having decided to leave, even as Mr. Musk continued speaking, two people familiar with the meeting said.

People literally dropped the loving videoconference to take the severance package and leave.

This is the electronic equivalent of a mass walkout.

So much for "extremely hardcore".

Remaining employees expect the platform to start breaking soon.

How I imagine it went down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC2NS5Upf9M&t=42s

edit: acab btw

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 18, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t have to spend 14 seconds scrolling thru your post are you ok

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fins posted:

lmao@ space Karen

he was such a turd nugget when artemis went up and his fan bois were just insulting

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Serious prediction: the only country twitter survives in is Japan, like Yahoo, because the japanese government will force the local subsidiary to rehire all of the staff due to lack of at will employment and spiteful, capricious regulators, and also japan is the largest twitter using country besides Angloid land

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i wonder which specific nazi is going to buy the twitter brand out of the bankruptcy to create a crypto scam

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EricBauman posted:

i wonder which specific nazi is going to buy the twitter brand out of the bankruptcy to create a crypto scam

@jack

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

echinopsis posted:

technically you scrolled past well over 14 seconds of robocop

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

echinopsis posted:

I'm a little bit depressed today, as a treat.

quote:

Someone has to say it: Elon Musk has lied for 27 years about his credentials. He does not have a BS in Physics, or any technical field. Did not get into a PhD program. Dropped out in 1995 & was illegal. Later, investors quietly arranged a diploma - but not in science. 🧵1/

https://twitter.com/capitolhunters/status/1593307541932474368

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zPeWaaCZHqfq0tnkPwc61A6bGHySdj91

You guys might already know about this, but this is news to me and it explains so much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah that was posted earlier, though the thread's been moving real fast

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
So!

Who do we think elon will rent/sell the entirety of the twitter databases to?

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

yeah that was posted earlier, though the thread's been moving real fast

Ah my bad. I went to sleep since then.

rotor posted:

So!

I actually sometimes wonder if in being that being able to download your social media history is now a legal requirement, that companies don't write parsers or syncers for this information so a person can use social media agnostically through some sort of interface that seamlessly blends them all together so they become equally meaningless.

We did this with computer test from applications multi-tasking on the same machine, with audio, we did this with video rendering, and we did it with hypertext, so it seems logical that the next step is to do it with communication.

I know the answer is "because security", and because networks are untrustworthy, but still.

I've thought for years now that the legal requirement should include documentation for exported formats or issuing proper serializers as part of the social media history export standard semi-automatically.

Likewise, that programs should have API requirements of their own, so programs can talk to eachother domestically on a computer equally well across networks or alone rather than needing weird connectivity standards that feel like a strange holdover from the 1970's where we write our code first and compile it second -- when I remember running and compiling code simultaniously in Z80 assembly to test it, and being able to step forward or backward through it as it ran off of a second computer, an X68000 connected to the cartridge slot of my Sega Master System and then later, a Sega Genesis as a teenager.

I constantly feel like we're trapped in bad habits, and a lot of why social media sucks is because computer touching is done in a very new-old-fashioned way for no discernible reason.

I'm probably very wrong, but that's my feeling on things.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 18, 2022

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

rotor posted:

So!

crown prince mohammed bin salman

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

icantfindaname posted:

crown prince mohammed bin salman

I misread this as "crown prince my hammer binned slalom".

Time to took a trip to the optician.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Expo70 posted:

I actually sometimes wonder if in being that being able to download your social media history is now a legal requirement, that companies don't write parsers or syncers for this information so a person can use social media agnostically through some sort of interface that seamlessly blends them all together so they become equally meaningless.

We did this with computer test from applications multi-tasking on the same machine, with audio, we did this with video rendering, and we did it with hypertext, so it seems logical that the next step is to do it with communication.

problem 1 is "how do the different media sites get your money from this" which kills the idea dead

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Good Dumplings posted:

problem 1 is "how do the different media sites get your money from this" which kills the idea dead

But the thing that should die is the sites, not the idea. That's the world we should strive for.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

So!

not me

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Expo70 posted:

But the thing that should die is the sites, not the idea. That's the world we should strive for.

agreed, but the world we should strive for would never have made a site like twitter in the first place. your question was phrased more as "would companies do this" rather than "what would be good for people", so I went with that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Expo70 posted:

a lot of why social media sucks is because computer touching is done in a very new-old-fashioned way for no discernible reason.

none of those things are technical problems

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the best thing about all this is that we are still posting twitter links to describe the fall of twitter. its not like the twitter bangers are on mastodon or something.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the best thing about all this is that we are still posting twitter links to describe the fall of twitter. its not like the twitter bangers are on mastodon or something.

Sure the violinists can play the music on the iceberg where everybody will hear them and where news about the people on the Titanic is happening.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well i guess i dont know exactly what you think sucks about social media. but i think if you list out why most people here think it sucks, none of those problems are very closely related to the technical infrastructure, networking, programming languages, etc. its because social media is a reflection of, and in turn helps to reinforce, the problems already in society

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

Sure the violinists can play the music on the iceberg where everybody will hear them and where news about the people on the Titanic is happening.

i don't think the violinists played on the iceberg

if so that's pretty impressive, i'd think they'd slip

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Expo70 posted:

I've thought for years now that the legal requirement should include documentation for exported formats or issuing proper serializers as part of the social media history export standard semi-automatically.

I think it kind of is under GDPR in the form of subject access requests which are notoriously hard to comply with at the best if times

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

well i guess i dont know exactly what you think sucks about social media. but i think if you list out why most people here think it sucks, none of those problems are very closely related to the technical infrastructure, networking, programming languages, etc. its because social media is a reflection of, and in turn helps to reinforce, the problems already in society

i think her idea was specifically "why can't social media be more like trillian" and now that she's woken up more the adhd writing took over and made it into that big ol' thing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bump_fn posted:

everything happens so much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

thats a common misconception. actually they were dressed for the occasion and didnt slip

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

i think her idea was specifically "why can't social media be more like trillian" and now that she's woken up more the adhd writing took over and made it into that big ol' thing

yeah well its easy to imagine some sort of technical spec for a unified social media. it wont be adopted because societal structures and incentives are against it, external to computer touching best practices

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

my god, they were on the iceberg's side. We've had the story so very wrong all these years

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

just realized that twitter going down directly impacts musk in that he won’t be able to post and get attention anymore. if the site does go down he will probably drop out of the news cycle for a few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

icantfindaname posted:

just realized that twitter going down directly impacts musk in that he won’t be able to post and get attention anymore. if the site does go down he will probably drop out of the news cycle for a few weeks

will huffington post be forced to write about cohost posts???