Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504

if elon gets rid of 33% of the data centres, that solves the api issue right

he should pick a data center to keep open, and then his infra guy turns off one of the other two.

he should then switch his choice of data center to keep open to increase his chances of solving the problem, even if it doesn't make any sense intuitively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

post hole digger posted:

this is how you end up with an engineering department staffed solely with sysadmins who have very impressive looking bash/perl one liners

since it looks like ol lonny boy wants print outs (so you can't use git blame, not that he'd know what that is), i'd just find the most obscure and opaque code buried in a repo somewhere and go full rockwell turbo encabulator during my explanation

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

post hole digger posted:

this is how you end up with an engineering department staffed solely with sysadmins who have very impressive looking bash/perl one liners

zero sysadmins with impressive looking bash scripts have any interest in working moderately hard, much less hardcore 2.0 hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

abraham linksys posted:

didn't do anything that, particularly, facebook doesn't already do

this may come as a shock but my real name is not actually "jonny 290"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Surely twitter has a central git repo that people could just shoot him links to their golden code exemplars from instead of sending him screenshots or literal paper printouts.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Bugsy posted:

Long thread that was very helpful to me for understanding some of the things that could go wrong when twitter starts breaking.

https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593541177965678592

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1593541177965678592.html

this thread is amazing

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

This was probably posted but uhh

https://twitter.com/YukonDev/status/1593728757285752832?t=hRlWgvNerzoiWuKIMDTz-g&s=19

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

aw frig aw dang it posted:

zero sysadmins with impressive looking bash scripts have any interest in working moderately hard, much less hardcore 2.0 hard

lol true

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gonna be exclusively the kind of ops guys who spend months trying to write the perfect stack of terraform scripts to correctly model their infrastructure and the second they try to actually run any kind of `apply` all of their servers disappear

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bugsy posted:

Long thread that was very helpful to me for understanding some of the things that could go wrong when twitter starts breaking.

https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593541177965678592

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1593541177965678592.html

https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593563648701902849?s=20&t=r7s7smECULaZg4BO_fwIjQ
If android people cared about scrolling being smooth, they wouldn't be using android.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just like Twitter!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

rotor posted:

reposting my favorite warhammer lore

tell me more about the Crack Grenade

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Samuel Glompers posted:

Sincerely wondering why I shouldn't buy a oneplus phone. Sorry I don't have DMs

I have one and the usb c socket is kinda loose :shrug:

it probably sends all my posts to carl peng as well, lol

akadajet posted:

Just like Twitter!

in which the wider world discovers the limits of encryption application to data on shared platforms

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

tell me more about the Crack Grenade

Finally I get to school Sagebrush instead of the other way round!

actually it's a krak grenade in the current cannon and thus;

quote:

The Krak Grenade is a type of explosive device used by the military forces of the Imperium of Man. Krak Grenades use a shaped explosive charge capable of punching holes in armoured targets such as vehicles or bunkers, and its charge can even rip armour plating apart. Typically Krak Grenades are attached directly onto vehicles or fortifications with magnetic, adhesive or physical clamps, maximising their effect on the target. They can also be used against monstrous creatures (such as the larger Tyranid bioforms), when they are attached to the creature's carapace before detonation.

These munitions are often used for attacking fortified defensive positions and vehicles, and provide Imperial infantry with a means of harming heavy targets that their primary anti-personnel weaponry may not be able to affect. However, the focused detonation lacks a blast radius, therefore making them impractical for use against enemy infantry.

u r welcome

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jonny 290 posted:

mine is tho

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_QSyo86MM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

just a reminder that during our youtube chat bullying session, musk specifically said he wants to structure his mars colony the way he's structuring Twitter 2.0

just a thing i think everyone needs to know

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Finally I get to school Sagebrush instead of the other way round!

actually it's a krak grenade in the current cannon and thus;

u r welcome

aw, boring. we've had shaped charge grenades since before ww2. they suck, because they have to be right on the surface of the thing you want to destroy and facing the right direction when they go off, and it's really hard to throw a grenade that way.

i thought it would be a grenade filled with crack.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

jonny please, these are the most troll-free forums on the internet, lets try and keep it that way.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ultraklystron posted:

If federated protocols actually take off widely, I kinda expect big tech to spin up instances that resolve most of the issues. gStadon and faceStadon and so on. If not, it'll still be a sufficient bridge along with other social networks to keep connected until something settles out. Lord knows it's not the first time the internet had a social network go toes up, and it won't be last, but some how folks re-congeal into the same sets.

Yeah, but when Tumblr died and they all fled to twitter, those posters didn't recreate Tumblr there. The community changed to fit the place

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

again, you can sidestep virtually all the mastodon weirdness and get a twitter-like experience by simply signing onto mastodon.social and not paying any attention to other servers.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

aw, boring. we've had shaped charge grenades since before ww2. they suck, because they have to be right on the surface of the thing you want to destroy and facing the right direction when they go off, and it's really hard to throw a grenade that way.

i thought it would be a grenade filled with crack.

that would be much better tbh but in wh40k that'd be called like "the rage of the astartes" and give you +damage against any copper wiring nearby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

jonny please, these are the most troll-free forums on the internet, lets try and keep it that way.

i'm aware that i have given away my real identity through my posts over the years, if anyone bothers to put the pieces together. a couple of goons in the past have done so for some reason, and have contacted me uninvited through channels other than the forums. it's creepy.

there are also several goons who know my real name and address by my choice, as i suspect is true for many of us in here.

i appreciate that we all keep up the kayfabe of anonymity despite our decade-plus association and the amount of personal, if not directly identifying, information we share.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also re shaped charge grenades -- i had to quit paying attention to ukraine because it was burning my brain into a cinder, but before i stopped, i saw that the ukrainians were taking those old 1950s shaped charge grenades that sucked rear end, 3d printing plastic fins for them, and mounting them on quadcopter drones with a little servo catch to release them. fly over a tank and drop the grenade and it self-orients and blasts through the thin armor on top. far more effective than throwing them. that is cyberpunk as hell.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i'm aware that i have given away my real identity through my posts over the years, if anyone bothers to put the pieces together. a couple of goons in the past have done so for some reason, and have contacted me uninvited through channels other than the forums. it's creepy.

there are also several goons who know my real name and address by my choice, as i suspect is true for many of us in here.

i appreciate that we all keep up the kayfabe of anonymity despite our decade-plus association and the amount of personal, if not directly identifying, information we share.

idk what ur on about but you're name is Sargebush and your the guy in youre av.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this is absolutely me posting r/n

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i love that not a single loving person is contemplating starting anything with jeff atwood's discourse forum cms

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

also re shaped charge grenades -- i had to quit paying attention to ukraine because it was burning my brain into a cinder, but before i stopped, i saw that the ukrainians were taking those old 1950s shaped charge grenades that sucked rear end, 3d printing plastic fins for them, and mounting them on quadcopter drones with a little servo catch to release them. fly over a tank and drop the grenade and it self-orients and blasts through the thin armor on top. far more effective than throwing them. that is cyberpunk as hell.

wasn’t isis doing that?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

I still go through weird mental gymnastics about posting something on real life social media vs anonymous forums and keeping them seperate, even though no one cares and I mostly post nonsense anyway.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

read 800 posts itt instead of working this afternoon and: lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Truman Peyote posted:

read 800 posts itt instead of working this afternoon and: lol

Which one was your favorite?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the first one where i saw the tweet where the guy pretended he was in charge of the twitter office badges and said he'd been fired and elon had asked for him back because he'd been locked out

mystes
May 31, 2006

That was a good one

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

rotor posted:

again, you can sidestep virtually all the mastodon weirdness and get a twitter-like experience by simply signing onto mastodon.social and not paying any attention to other servers.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'd repost the tweet but you have to be logged in to scroll through the @anothercohen account and gently caress that!

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

federated no homers club

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh weird. is it full or something?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you have to pick a starter pokemon and it can't be pikachu, good luck. also there are eighty starter pokemon and some of them are for furries. we will not tell you which

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/utterlymundane/status/1593742440191909888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

registration is locked eh? who wants to buy my prestigious 2020 regdate account on mastodon.social?