Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Book was a decent wrap up for the wax and Wayne series. Book:this really felt like Wayne’s story and I’m happy sad about how it ended. Interesting threads for the future about kelsier and harmony coming head to head with some conflict which seems like it will come to a head in the next series. To me it still really feels like kel is on the good side of anti-hero which makes me happy. Also sazed straight up lying to him is interesting.

Cosmere: really great to see some more magics and some worldhoppers we have seen before, also interesting to see that the roshar ghost bloods are loose units and not representative of the main group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm starting to re-read Wax and Wayne. Only went through them once years ago but I wanna check out LM. Luckily these books are all a fraction of the size of even Era 1, let alone Stormlight.

My memory is that Staris is absolutely the best character. I've also heard Sanderson said at some point he tried too hard with Vin to make her a strong female character or something. Never really understood that but Steris is pretty much the total opposite. She exemplifies typical stately femininity while still being totally badass. The first book really baits and switches you about her.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm starting to re-read Wax and Wayne. Only went through them once years ago but I wanna check out LM. Luckily these books are all a fraction of the size of even Era 1, let alone Stormlight.

My memory is that Staris is absolutely the best character. I've also heard Sanderson said at some point he tried too hard with Vin to make her a strong female character or something. Never really understood that but Steris is pretty much the total opposite. She exemplifies typical stately femininity while still being totally badass. The first book really baits and switches you about her.

Yeah, Steris has a really good character arc. She's vital to any success the team has, but everyone else in their little group makes it clear to her quite often.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Hard spoilers for The Lost Metal, DO NOT CLICK if you haven't read it.

So big talk, we were all right speculating about Wax creating Lerasium and Atium from splitting Harmonium, and it seems to be intent related to be able to create the other god metals vs just a huge explosion. I think it's unlikely the Set created them as a byproduct, since they should have been analyzing everything and would have found them. Wax is potentially a mistborn, I would say almost certainly but there's a sliver of doubt as to whether he burned the Lerasium he accidentally ingested. Since you're supposed to intentionally burn the metal, maybe not, but Vin burned metals instinctively as a child so still 95% sure Wax is a full mistborn, if only a weak one. On top of that, he's at least spiked with duralumin, though I also suspect he probably grabbed a pewter spike at the least to survive the duralumin push. I wonder if the "genetic" manner of allomantic ability inheritance is still rooted in the spiritual realm enough that Wax becoming a full mistborn would have any effect on his kids.

Harmony is trying to throw Kelsier off the trail, but someone will probably figure out making more Lerasium at some point, so it's only a matter of time until full mistborn exist again, albeit likely in very small numbers. There's also the Set creating slightly, neutrally invested spikes from normal people, which seems similar to Nalthian's, but maybe not as bad as being a drab? This also seems to be a likely component of creating the required people to make more unkeyed metal minds, since if you can make whatever you need from stabbing normal people a few times, having whatever sort of allomantic or feruchemical abilities to put into unkeyed metalminds would be easy.

Also, I think duralumin + time metal grenades will be part of the FTL travel, though that's probably been a theory for a while.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the ending wayne detonated ettmetal next to trellium - and replicated wax's accidental lerasium production on a massive scale. so there is now a huge plume of vaporized lerasium and atium blowing over the most population dense city on the planet

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

stramit posted:

Cosmere: really great to see some more magics and some worldhoppers we have seen before, also interesting to see that the roshar ghost bloods are loose units and not representative of the main group.

Ghostbloods they seem to follow Kells concept of "crime, for the greater good", while without supervision Mraize and his group seem to be "crime, for my good". I'm sure the Scadrial Ghostbloods themselves also get

End of The Lost Metal Physics It really bothers me that Harmony told Wax the boat bomb would destroy both cities. A few hours apart by ship is 75ish miles, and a massive explosion loses more of it's energy to the upper direction as it grows. To do even what the water + Harmonium reaction did at that distance would still be around 5MT. Even if each of the bombs was a Gigaton of TNT equivalent it still probably wouldn't destroy both cities. Sterris was very wise to be concerned about tidel waves though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Ghostbloods they seem to follow Kells concept of "crime, for the greater good", while without supervision Mraize and his group seem to be "crime, for my good". I'm sure the Scadrial Ghostbloods themselves also get

End of The Lost Metal Physics It really bothers me that Harmony told Wax the boat bomb would destroy both cities. A few hours apart by ship is 75ish miles, and a massive explosion loses more of it's energy to the upper direction as it grows. To do even what the water + Harmonium reaction did at that distance would still be around 5MT. Even if each of the bombs was a Gigaton of TNT equivalent it still probably wouldn't destroy both cities. Sterris was very wise to be concerned about tidel waves though.

nukes don't cause tidal waves, but it at least is something people were thinking about irl before it was tested so she gets a pass.

I'd assume these are closer to a theoretical antimatter bomb when detonated fully, instead of the 'fizzle' wayne caused

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 17, 2022

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The water + Harmonium was a lesser explosion to render the larger one useless. The actual bomb was a Harmonium + Trellium bomb, and the energy comes from the Investiture released - he was concerned about it igniting atmosphere, and mentioned he didn't think the Set realised just how much explosive force the bomb would produce. Seems reasonable it could take out that kind of area.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

In the ending wayne detonated ettmetal next to trellium - and replicated wax's accidental lerasium production on a massive scale. so there is now a huge plume of vaporized lerasium and atium blowing over the most population dense city on the planet

my understanding is that he literally stops this specific thing from happening

Wax accidentally makes it by doing full on Cosmere Fission to a tiny amount, Wayne specifically stops that from happening and only detonates the Harmonium ensuring that Cosmere Fission does not actually happen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

my understanding is that he literally stops this specific thing from happening

Wax accidentally makes it by doing full on Cosmere Fission to a tiny amount, Wayne specifically stops that from happening and only detonates the Harmonium ensuring that Cosmere Fission does not actually happen

Wax got his powers from the accidental second explosion in his basement, which was due to detonating ettmetal next to trellium, rather than the first bigger explosion which involved the polarized electrified ettmetal.

This is also probably why the Set didn't figure it out - they were all in on polarized ettmetal and didn't futz around with splitting vapor from normal ettmetal blasts

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cosmere physics Yes, I am of the opinion that much like creating anti-stormlight and anti-voidlight Intent is integral to the process.

Tunicate posted:

nukes don't cause tidal waves, but it at least is something people were thinking about irl before it was tested so she gets a pass.

I'd assume these are closer to a theoretical antimatter bomb when detonated fully, instead of the 'fizzle' wayne caused

Probably more real world physics? Wigwam proved they could cause some major waves. Surface detonation tests were rare. But yeah, you're right about it being a step above.into annihilation, which has implications for the escallation in the coming era. Still something with a 100mi 5psi radius is so monumentally huge you're going to lose a lot of it to space and you're now modeling something orders of magnitude beyond our validated blast models. Better to use meteoroid strike models at that point

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 17, 2022

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a place to get a good Wax and Wayne summary for everything up to the latest book? Spoiler’s obviously fine, I just don’t have time to reread them.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a place to get a good Wax and Wayne summary for everything up to the latest book? Spoiler’s obviously fine, I just don’t have time to reread them.

I read the coppermind summary for bands of mourning and it jogged my memory

https://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Bands_of_Mourning

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ROW Spoilers
I really can't get over Taravangian as Rayse. I don't know how I forgot this.

Rayse Odium

Taravangian pretending to be Rayse

Kramer is just responding to the writing:

I noticed your touch on the contract, a dramatic voice said in his head.

I hate you.

I shall have my vengeance, Odium said. Even if it takes an eternity, Cephandrius, I will destroy you.

It matters not. Whomever I pick, they will destroy Dalinar’s champion! Then I will use him, and my minions on this planet, to finally do whatever I wish!

I can just see him shaking his fist and going "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" That is how Taravangian perceives and presents Rayse. And that fooled Wit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

ROW Spoilers

Rayse Odium

I hate you.

I shall have my vengeance, Odium said. Even if it takes an eternity, Cephandrius, I will destroy you.

It matters not. Whomever I pick, they will destroy Dalinar’s champion! Then I will use him, and my minions on this planet, to finally do whatever I wish!

I can just see him shaking his fist and going "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" That is how Taravangian perceives and presents Rayse. And that fooled Wit.

Hoid has a low opinion of Rays and he's not free of biases. Also, he lost Perfect Pitch when Taravodium messed with his Breaths to delete the memory of their meeting, which he might have relied on for too long, making him less able to distinguish voices and tonal structures when not having Perfect Pitch.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Hoid has a low opinion of Rays and he's not free of biases. Also, he lost Perfect Pitch when Taravodium messed with his Breaths to delete the memory of their meeting, which he might have relied on for too long, making him less able to distinguish voices and tonal structures when not having Perfect Pitch.

Is there WoB on whether perfect pitch has an effect on non verbal communication?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
The Lost Metal:I find it hilarious that Hoid was relegated to a chauffeur that was mostly ignored/not used the entire book.

I just imagine him thinking "ok I can swoop in and give Wax a hand after his very public fight with his not-clone" and then just being ghosted by Wax every time aside from the boat save at the end.

Also, I had a hunch that Moonlight was Shai from Emperor's Soul but was kind of hoping she was a new character. The Coppermind confirmed it. Still kind of cool.

Also, I thought TwinSoul was from Ashyn for sure since him always leaning on something seemed like an ailment and he also mentioned his planet was uninhabitable, but Coppermind says he's not.

Next, did I miss the part of the story where Marasi collapses the perpendicularity? I kept waiting for Trells army to come through and then at the end it mentions that she stopped it.

Finally, how does the Ghostblood's main tenet of protecting scadrial jive with their apparent mission in RoW to export Stormlight off Roshar? More fuel to fight Autonomy or has Kelsier become an antagonist at this point?

I'm glad we get the 4 novellas next year to tide us over until fall 2024 for stormlight 5

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

The Lost Metal:
Next, did I miss the part of the story where Marasi collapses the perpendicularity? I kept waiting for Trells army to come through and then at the end it mentions that she stopped it.

More LM spoilers:

You must have, but it’s a pretty brief section. She gathers the allomancers from the cavern and has them burn off the perpendicularity. She dumps her power into an allomantic cube that she thought would explode, and had others dumping their power wherever they could.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

The Lost Metal:
Finally, how does the Ghostblood's main tenet of protecting scadrial jive with their apparent mission in RoW to export Stormlight off Roshar? More fuel to fight Autonomy or has Kelsier become an antagonist at this point?

Lost metal: Guessing Kelsier (and the ghostbloods) are trying to get as much investiture as they can to support their endeavours. They had jars of pure Dor for example that were used during this book for example. You have the investiture you can fuel a lot of magic.

I'm still not on board with people thinking that Kelsier is a bad guy or even going to become the bad guy. He's quite amoral about a lot of things but he's a pragmatic 'for the greater good' kind of guy. He'll do some bad poo poo but only so long as it makes the lot of the people he is fighting for better. He did this with the ska, and now he's doing it for scadrial as a whole. TBH I would not be surprised if he evolves more to realise that he needs to look after more than just his planet even if his method don't change too much. He's a pretty good anti-hero type guy and I really like that.

cosmere: with the rumors of the last shard being 'survival' or something similar... would be interesting to see kelsier pick that one up at some stage... kind of ties in with his whole thing. Even autonomy would kind of fit that as he's forged a very unique path so far

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lost metal:

Marasi used the supercharged investure on that grenades she tossed into Automomy’s army. How much would that slow them down, and for how long?

Did she perhaps pull a reverse Wayne and freeze that army for a very, very long time?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

Lost Metal Spoilers Harmony did specifically say it might ignite the atmosphere, which was an actual concern of the initial nuclear tests especially once they got to fusion bombs. It was considered very unlikely, but even that was considered as a possibility. Not too hard to believe that even Shards wouldn't be sure exactly how much energy would be released, just that it would be a lot.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

ROW Spoilers

Rayse Odium

I hate you.

Are we 100% sure taravodium fooled Wit? If I recall correctly, I got the impression that he may not have been totally fooled when I read it. May be misremembering though.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Calumanjaro posted:

Are we 100% sure taravodium fooled Wit? If I recall correctly, I got the impression that he may not have been totally fooled when I read it. May be misremembering though.

It's a little ambiguous. Wit notices something is a little off but kind of shrugs it off. However, the whole time he's talking about the art of misdirection. It gave the feeling that Wit was prepared for something like that happening but I guess we'll have to see. Maybe he only kept expendable memories/ breaths on hand rather than a metalmind just in case of such an incident?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Lost metal:

Marasi used the supercharged investure on that grenades she tossed into Automomy’s army. How much would that slow them down, and for how long?

Did she perhaps pull a reverse Wayne and freeze that army for a very, very long time?

Lost Metal:

her regular charge lasts about 10 minutes, right? So it would def last a lot longer. But Wayne pulled his move off by compounding metals to create a super speed bubble. Which does make me wonder what a compounded slow bubble would do…

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Calumanjaro posted:

Rhythm of War he was doing the "I'm moving coins around in my pockets 100% of the time" powergaming rogue routine to check for influence, presumably he knows *something*

maybe he didn't have a contingency pre-set message set for "Uhhh this isn't Rayse wtf?" but we'll see

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calumanjaro posted:

It's a little ambiguous. Wit notices something is a little off but kind of shrugs it off. However, the whole time he's talking about the art of misdirection. It gave the feeling that Wit was prepared for something like that happening but I guess we'll have to see. Maybe he only kept expendable memories/ breaths on hand rather than a metalmind just in case of such an incident?

ROW Epilogue spoilers continued
I'm no theory guy, I miss all sorts of subtle or even semi-subtle things. It never even occured to me Wit might have been faking it all but I did find this thread on just that matter yesterday.

The reason it never even occurred to me though is because the chapter is written from Wit's perspective. We see what he is thinking. He is described as being "terrified" when Todium talks about his memories and breaths. Not an affect, not an act, this is what's going through his mind. Furthermore, the first version of this event we see, he's talking to his Cryptic. After Todium messes with his mind, he tries to redo the same conversation with her only she's not there, having departed in the first convo but he wouldn't know or remember that now.

Maybe I've missed a whole bunch of things. I almost assuredly have. But I figured Brandon really wanted to hammer home his new villain. "Holy poo poo, he's outsmarted loving Wit. Be terrified!" That's kinda what bugs me. The last few chapters are trying so hard to establish Taravangian as way better than Rayse.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 19, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

TLM epilogues I'm surprised Kelsier immediately accepts Sazed's claim that any lerasium produced from the splitting experiments is "destroyed by the explosion". Granted that Sazed has had hundreds of years to become more practiced at lying, but it still strikes me as the sort of thing Kelsier would want to investigate himself just in case.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

TLM epilogues I'm surprised Kelsier immediately accepts Sazed's claim that any lerasium produced from the splitting experiments is "destroyed by the explosion". Granted that Sazed has had hundreds of years to become more practiced at lying, but it still strikes me as the sort of thing Kelsier would want to investigate himself just in case.

Kelsier knows Sazed is lying because Sazed turned Spook into a mistborn already

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Anshu posted:

Honestly... are we sure that Sazed isn't trying to do some things of his own to bring "harmony" to the other shards? I feel like Kelsier and him may have more going on

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Langolas posted:

Honestly... are we sure that Sazed isn't trying to do some things of his own to bring "harmony" to the other shards? I feel like Kelsier and him may have more going on

Harmony/Cosmere/mild LM:

Was this also the first book to acknowledge that Harmony is potentially the strongest shardholder? I know it was stated as a logical conclusion, but had the first in-cosmere statement I can think of

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Hard spoilers for The Lost Metal, DO NOT CLICK if you haven't read it.

I wonder if the "genetic" manner of allomantic ability inheritance is still rooted in the spiritual realm enough that Wax becoming a full mistborn would have any effect on his kids.

Continuing Lost Metal spoilers:
Magneto Lamarck was right?

I guess the effects on any future children depends on whether Lerasium rewrites your DNA, which seems probable. But it's never been 100% certain that Mistborn will have children who are Metalborn, just more likely?

The book was good and cool. I'm proud of having predicted several of the story beats, but also happy to have been surprised by some things and learned more about the state of the Cosmere.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
LM end spoiler

I’m really surprised I haven’t seen anyone else mention this so maybe I was just reading too much into it but I wasn’t expecting Wayne to die for real at the end of this book because I was really expecting him to wind up with the Whimsy shard at some point. Especially because of these two interactions.

This one between Wayne and Moonlight:
“Curious,” she said. “And what do you add to the team?”
“Comic relief.”
She cocked an eyebrow.
“Maybe a little whimsy,” he said. “Improvisation. Vision.”

This one is between Wax and his sister:
“Autonomy is … odd. She respects those who are bold, strong, able to survive on their own. But she also wants them to obey her. I suppose that is the irony of godhood. Half the time, being ‘autonomous’ means following her plan. And there’s no Whimsy to her—that’s a different god.

But I’m probably wrong and he’s really dead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Daric posted:

LM end spoiler

I’m really surprised I haven’t seen anyone else mention this so maybe I was just reading too much into it but I wasn’t expecting Wayne to die for real at the end of this book because I was really expecting him to wind up with the Whimsy shard at some point. Especially because of these two interactions.

This one between Wayne and Moonlight:
“Curious,” she said. “And what do you add to the team?”
“Comic relief.”
She cocked an eyebrow.
“Maybe a little whimsy,” he said. “Improvisation. Vision.”

This one is between Wax and his sister:
“Autonomy is … odd. She respects those who are bold, strong, able to survive on their own. But she also wants them to obey her. I suppose that is the irony of godhood. Half the time, being ‘autonomous’ means following her plan. And there’s no Whimsy to her—that’s a different god.

But I’m probably wrong and he’s really dead.

yeah i read this as Brandon just trickling out some more mentions of a Shard we've only barely heard about existing

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Ok a couple more Lost Metal thoughts - one that isn't even a spoiler!

Does anyone else think that moving long distances via Steelpush would actually look really stupid on film? Like someone just being kind of bounced through the air. A Superman pose wouldn't really work well, Coinshots aren't immune to gravity. Couldn't do a jumping motion either, there's no surface to plant your feet on. Flipping and tumbling probably would make it hard to make sense of what to Push on to stay in the right direction. How do other people visualize this?

Theories on who drained the bands? It seems pretty well telegraphed that the Malwish are behind it, but given their established opposition to using the bands, do we think they broke that tenet for the purpose of reclaiming them? It's clearly going to be important later, otherwise it would have been fully explicated in this book. Might the whole Malwish nation be serving the Ghostbloods' purposes?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it was the person who first touched them, who immediately left with the Malwish afterwards

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CK07 posted:

Ok a couple more Lost Metal thoughts - one that isn't even a spoiler!

Does anyone else think that moving long distances via Steelpush would actually look really stupid on film? Like someone just being kind of bounced through the air. A Superman pose wouldn't really work well, Coinshots aren't immune to gravity. Couldn't do a jumping motion either, there's no surface to plant your feet on. Flipping and tumbling probably would make it hard to make sense of what to Push on to stay in the right direction. How do other people visualize this?

You can do a lot with good camera angles. But more it's why they all wear mistcloaks

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Not very far into The Lost Metal yet, and I haven’t read any of the spoilered text, but I want to throw a prediction out there for people to laugh at: Wayne winds up on Roshar and bonds a spren. Maybe meets the Lopen, but I forget how the timelines overlap.

There. I guess I will check back in when I finish.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Tlm was good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Major TLM spoilers My number 1 complaint is that since he got immolated, MeLaan won't have Wayne's bone's to bring with her for the backhalf of Stormlight. Which means no adventures of Lopen and Wayne unless she gets Harmony to get her some aluminum bones modeled after him.

My second complaint The death of Telsin was done poorly. Was 'defeated' her, but then Harmony just yanks her connection with Autonomy and she just keels over and dies a little later. It really needed more of Wax's direct involvement, like he should have at least shot her once her connection was pulled instead of just letting her fade out. Its not even clear at the time that she's dying, Wax just leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

My second complaint The death of Telsin was done poorly. Was 'defeated' her, but then Harmony just yanks her connection with Autonomy and she just keels over and dies a little later. It really needed more of Wax's direct involvement, like he should have at least shot her once her connection was pulled instead of just letting her fade out. Its not even clear at the time that she's dying, Wax just leaves.

No way. Having Wax kill his sister would be cruel. Dude has had enough suffering in his life. Plus, of course he's going to just leave. The mission is what's important, not his making sure his sister dies.