Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A MIRACLE posted:

i sheepishly admit that i lost interest halfway through the last season of dark and never finished it. this one might do better for me since i dont have to read subtitles lol

I loved Dark but it's a bit of a marathon. You have to be invested in trying to follow the story because it's just too insanely complicated and humourless for casual viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fly Ricky posted:

Dark ties everything up so neatly by the series finale you’re left with a lot of admiration for the creators. It’s an amazing second watch knowing that everything was planned so meticulously.

Well it didn't solve ALL the mysteries...my absolute favorite part of Dark is the ongoing mystery of how the cop lost his eye, only to have him in the alternate world with both eyes but missing an arm

It's such a small thing but I had to pause the TV I was laughing so hard at that. I almost think it was a nod to Crispin Glover in Hot Tub Time Machine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Perestroika posted:

Honestly the same thing happened for me at season two already. I guess that might've been mostly because I'd just come off Stranger Things and absolutely was not in the mood for even more 80s nostalgia baiting.

What? There is nothing nostalgia baiting about Dark.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
We watched "A Christmas Story Christmas" last night. It was much better than I expected. Me and the wife were crying because the first Christmas after losing a loved parent is one of toughest experiences one can have and we related to it way too much. There's this added pressure to make sure this Christmas is memorable and fun for the kids despite the loss. Plus, having to write a eulogy for your father is so sad and stressful. It's been 9 years and I still get extremely emotional.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 18, 2022

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

BonoMan posted:

What? There is nothing nostalgia baiting about Dark.

Idk maybe some Germans tried to engineer 80s nostalgia bait and ended up making Dark

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I noticed New Mutants is on Disney+ now, I know about the disastrous production but is the movie at least entertainingly bad or just bland?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

I noticed New Mutants is on Disney+ now, I know about the disastrous production but is the movie at least entertainingly bad or just bland?

It's definitely more bland, not bad at all, though I thought some of the actors were bad (Alice Braga). Anya Taylor Joy was awesome though and she fit Magik perfectly she deserves a second shot at the role in future X-Men movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
On the other hand New Mutant loving sucks in every possible way. They should have bat-girled it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Two episodes into 1899 it's Fortitude but just so much dumber.
Everyone is a mystery with nothing enticing underneath

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I should give it a chance when not watching while sleepy / high, but 1899 really beats you over the head with the fact that it's a mystery box without providing plot elements that are actually intriguing. You end up just brainstorming about whatever wacky twist they're gonna throw out rather than caring about what's happening in the moment.

Instead of little plot points that lead towards something that piques your interest, it's sudden dream sequences or flashes of random imagery that means nothing, at least this early in the series. I'm sure it's part of the larger plan, but feels at the moment like the laziest version of leaving breadcrumbs to an interesting hidden story.

edit: to clarify, I watched 2 episodes.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 19, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nckdictator posted:

It's neither. It's an okay movie. Worth a watch if you're interested. Not great, but I don't understand why it was so troubled. It was better than the last couple of xmen movies.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Glottis posted:

I'm sure it's part of the larger plan, but feels at the moment like the laziest version of leaving breadcrumbs to an interesting hidden story.

Feel the same way about this first season. Dark had plenty of smart and surprising payoffs along the way. 1899 does mood well and I have some faith there is a grand plan that will make the beginning more meaningful when all is said and done.

If I had never seen and finished Dark, not sure if this is something that would have me looking forward to another season.

mystes
May 31, 2006

1899 really took forever to get going but lol

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
4 episodes into 1899 and yeah, have to agree with posters above. I hope it goes somewhere without retreading too much ground that has been already covered by Dark. The mystery so far feels very much like Lost did almost 20 years ago. It's not exactly a compliment, but it still has a certain appeal. I wish they would spend more time on the other ship, those have been the most compelling moments so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm about 20 minutes into Dead to Me season 3 and this poo poo is stressing me out guys

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Are Dark and 1899 related? I've never seen Dark

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nihonniboku posted:

Are Dark and 1899 related? I've never seen Dark
Same creators.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Same creators.

I was asking whether you have to see Dark first. Are they in the same universe? Or are they simply from the same creators.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

I was asking whether you have to see Dark first. Are they in the same universe? Or are they simply from the same creators.

As far as I know, no they are not related at all.

Also just watched the first ep of The English and I'm totally sold.

Western.
Great cinematography.
Great acting.
Some little bits of modern weirdness.
Embracing some of the more melodramatic elements and rhythms of traditional westerns without going into camp.

Really loving it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Medullah posted:

I'm about 20 minutes into Dead to Me season 3 and this poo poo is stressing me out guys

don't know what this is but i think i'll rewatch dead like me soon

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Don't Worry Darling -- decently entertaining but awfully silly, all in all.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I just want to vent, but using “Wait, what?” as a reaction to something is lazy writing, and when uttered in a show (always by a female character for some reason?) it irritates me to no end.

“Wait, what?” is the new cgi army final battle scene. It lacks imagination and is really overused when you start to notice it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

toggle posted:

I just want to vent, but using “Wait, what?” as a reaction to something is lazy writing, and when uttered in a show (always by a female character for some reason?) it irritates me to no end.

“Wait, what?” is the new cgi army final battle scene. It lacks imagination and is really overused when you start to notice it.
So... that just happened

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Think about it. Breath it in.

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005

toggle posted:

Think about it. Breath it in.

"... and that's a good thing"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

So... that just happened

awkward...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I wanted to hate it but blockbuster starts getting pretty funny. Like cloud 9 but funnier and I don’t hate every single character

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I watched The Wonder a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. The WAY better Florence Pugh movie that started streaming recently.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I just finished the first season of 1899 last night, and I am highly disappointed. It was a great show, until the last episode. Spoilers ahead, don't read them if you don't already know or don't want to know how the season ends. It was all a simulation, which we knew because they kept saying it. But beyond that, it was a Matrix rip-off! It wasn't 1899, which I suspected because they didn't have computers or video cameras in 1899. But more than that, it was 2099, and they were on a space ship?? And her brother, who we never met was responsible for the simulation because... reasons??? I really would have preferred if it was another time travel situation, because Matrix did all of this already, and did it sooooo much better. I may not even watch season 2, if they get the okay for it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

raven77 posted:

I just finished the first season of 1899 last night, and I am highly disappointed. It was a great show, until the last episode. Spoilers ahead, don't read them if you don't already know or don't want to know how the season ends. It was all a simulation, which we knew because they kept saying it. But beyond that, it was a Matrix rip-off! It wasn't 1899, which I suspected because they didn't have computers or video cameras in 1899. But more than that, it was 2099, and they were on a space ship?? And her brother, who we never met was responsible for the simulation because... reasons??? I really would have preferred if it was another time travel situation, because Matrix did all of this already, and did it sooooo much better. I may not even watch season 2, if they get the okay for it.
Why are you assuming that what is shown at the end of the last episode is reality?

I also suspect that the show is trying very hard to misdirect the viewer in other ways too and that were not going to even know what it's really about until like the end of the next season.

The pacing is a little frustrating but I'm willing to accept how obnoxiously mysterious it is because it just feels to me like it's all been carefully though lt out and is leading up to something, rather than just being random bullshit like lost.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 20, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nckdictator posted:

I thought it was a perfectly mediocre horror film.

I also think Don't Worry Darling was perfectly mediocre. Very decently made and looked good and Pugh elevates it by working her rear end off. But it goes the route of teasing out the predictable reveal to go for a curveball right at the end and it was just too long, too much tease, and not enough payoff of the curve.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 20, 2022

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

mystes posted:

Why are you assuming that what is shown at the end of the last episode is reality?

I also suspect that the show is trying very hard to misdirect the viewer in other ways too and that were not going to even know what it's really about until like the end of the next season.

The pacing is a little frustrating but I'm willing to accept how obnoxiously mysterious it is because it just feels to me like it's all been carefully though lt out and is leading up to something, rather than just being random bullshit like lost.

Huh. Okay good point. It just seemed like the "reveal" was so ridiculous that I wanted to throw things, but every other reveal has been ridiculous, and then proven to be a fake-out too. I didn't even mind the pacing, I thought it was appropriately spooky and I was engrossed until the last episode. Perhaps I will see how season 2 goes, it's not like I'm not paying for Netflix anyway. Thank you for talking me off the ledge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I breezed through about 3/4 of the final season of Dead to Me last night. I realized that I didn't really remember what happened on the first two seasons, so I watched a recap video and the entire time I was thinking, "Hmm, I guess I remember that, but not really." Then I started watching the season, and throughout it, everybody is covering up various murders for no real reason other than, "There's something I like about you!" Then other people uncover the murders, but they are easily dissuaded with an implausible lie.

I had forgotten how annoying the kids are in the show. The show does that thing where they only view kids as a potential source of impediment, and they are only there to serve as problems to solve. The younger son I remember had some weird quirk, also something shows with lazy writing do, but they actually don't address it this season, and I forget what it was. He does have a friend though with a weird fascination with bondage and Stockholm syndrome play? I don't know, it's weird.

I realized this morning that the show has probably always been this bad, but gets a pass because of it's two incredibly charming and watchable leads. I'll finish watching just because, but Dead to Me is the peak of bad Netflix programming that somehow gets a lot of attention (amongst all the bad stuff they put out that gets no attention).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I breezed through about 3/4 of the final season of Dead to Me last night. I realized that I didn't really remember what happened on the first two seasons, so I watched a recap video and the entire time I was thinking, "Hmm, I guess I remember that, but not really." Then I started watching the season, and throughout it, everybody is covering up various murders for no real reason other than, "There's something I like about you!" Then other people uncover the murders, but they are easily dissuaded with an implausible lie.

I had forgotten how annoying the kids are in the show. The show does that thing where they only view kids as a potential source of impediment, and they are only there to serve as problems to solve. The younger son I remember had some weird quirk, also something shows with lazy writing do, but they actually don't address it this season, and I forget what it was. He does have a friend though with a weird fascination with bondage and Stockholm syndrome play? I don't know, it's weird.

I realized this morning that the show has probably always been this bad, but gets a pass because of it's two incredibly charming and watchable leads. I'll finish watching just because, but Dead to Me is the peak of bad Netflix programming that somehow gets a lot of attention (amongst all the bad stuff they put out that gets no attention).

see, I always took the show as being self-aware goofy trash rather then the typical serious and boring trash netflix pushes out. not necessary my favorite genre but I can suspend my disbelief watching it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

see, I always took the show as being self-aware goofy trash rather then the typical serious and boring trash netflix pushes out. not necessary my favorite genre but I can suspend my disbelief watching it.

The show isn't realistic at all and relies on "just go with it" which I can see not being for everyone. Bu it is really consstent about it, it's not like a show that aims for realism and then has something outlandish happen. The only trope that bothered me was the one where the main character(s) commit a crime and then become BFFs or lovers with the cop investigating them which I've seen way too much lately in shows like Kevin Can F Himself and Barry.

Worth watching for Linda Cardellini's facial expressions alone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You all were right, Confess, Fletch owns, maybe even as good as the first one, deffo better than fletch 2. Makes me want to see Jon hamm play Chevy chase in the inevitable biopic

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I read they found a huge piece of the Challenger recently so I watched the Challenger documentary on Netflix. It's really well done but obviously very loving sad.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
1½ episodes into Wednesday, and so far it's been a pleasant combination of nostalgia, funny and interesting. Nevermore gives a very strong Hogwarts for Monstrous Sociopaths vibe that I dig.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Good Night Oppy just hit on amazon prime. A nice documentary on the Opportunity mars mission. Was a good watch. A little dramatic at points, but some great history of the 90 day (15 year) mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

badjohny posted:

Good Night Oppy just hit on amazon prime. A nice documentary on the Opportunity mars mission. Was a good watch. A little dramatic at points, but some great history of the 90 day (15 year) mission.

Thanks, I'll have to check this out. I worked at an exhibit once where we featured models of the Spirit and Opportunity rovers, talked about their capabilities, and displayed the photos they took each day. We regularly had people from JPL visit. I think I even have a photo somewhere of me with the head of the mission.