Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love the medieval pit crew in this week's Elusive Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I love the medieval pit crew in this week's Elusive Samurai.

I laughed out loud when I saw that panel. I would have thought the anachronisms would get old, but somehow they don't.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Looks like Witch Watch has finally introduced the main plot...85 chapters in.

OK, to be fair, you could say similar things about One Piece and Naruto.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 14, 2022

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Eh, I think Witch Watch is at its best when it forgets about its initial plot setup. In a few months I’m not going to be thinking about any of this warlock stuff, but the denim chapters live rent free in my head every day

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Sindai posted:

Given the title I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't a 7th family member hiding somewhere.

I'm going to get in early on the incredibly obvious guess that Tsubasa is actually the MC's identical twin's name.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
New manga was maybe too long for what it needed to convey, but it did its job of hooking me.

Also, new Gash Bell
https://mangadex.org/chapter/609f1ab2-1708-42ab-94df-6aeb5efd3990/1

INVINCIBLE FOLGORE!!! :ssj:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alacron posted:

New manga was maybe too long for what it needed to convey, but it did its job of hooking me.

Also, new Gash Bell

:bisonyes: everything about this chapter owns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

Also, new Gash Bell

Hell yeah

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad Raiku also agrees that Tsurugi tricking the Doobie Wah guy into getting hit by a bus is badass.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I am also glad They went with this design for Kanchome.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

Also, new Gash Bell

I teared up a little bit reading this one. These guys are hosed, they are going to find out why nobody fucks with the hippopotamus and why my man Folgore is peak humanity.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Dandadan

That is all.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: Could be interesting, maybe. If this is anything like Takopi then it's going to rely on a lot of shock value to keep you reading. Then you look back at it all and realize the storytelling was kind of unsatisfying.

Romantic Killer: It has an interesting setup where rear end in a top hat fae force some random schmuck to be a shojo heroine. But the way each chapter just ends in the middle of a scenario with no fanfare is really jarring. Was this originally a manwah that they just squeezed its panels into one page or something?

The Game Devil: I remain baffled on why they made the best friend/antagonist character remain faceless, considering how they're the biggest driving force in the plot.

Witch Watch: The series trying to have some plot going at this point just makes me go "why now???" The way it pretended to have some plot going for the first ten or so chapters only to ditch it and gently caress around for ages just soured me on this new development.

Blue Box: Poor Hina. :smith: You really feel for her when she said Taki might change his mind and like her in the future. But Taiki was right to shut it down because it was unhealthy and going to lead Hina on.

The Elusive Samurai: Can't wait for them to take down this fucker who abuses horses. On another note, Fubuki's reaction last chapter made me think he was some secret heir to the previous headmaster of the school and he wanted to fix it. It turning out to be just Fubuki being a lowly trainee (who got abused by his dad) was kind of underwhelming as far as reveals go.

Akane-banashi: There's something refreshing about how a shonen manga protagonist ends up having to deal with the consequences of their actions. Yes, they're unfair consequences because one person believes more in keeping :decorum: rather than examining what really happened in that tussle while the other's a wuss who's afraid of having the lovely rakugoka come after him instead, but then life is often unfair. The series does a great job of giving Akane a wall to struggle to overcome.

While the author paints the world of professional rakugo in an interesting light, this arc also highlights some of its issues. Seniority is everything, even if the ones above you are terrible people. Makes waves and it's going to make everyone hate you. It feels very much intentional on the author's part, and it adds a layer to Issho's actions that makes you see why he wants to shake up the world of rakugo.

High School Family: Absolutely :laffo: at HSF beating Blue Box to the punch by having its main romantic pair admit they like one another. Hopefully they'll explore this some more and not just revert to a status quo (why yes, I did get annoyed at Roboco for chickening out with Gachi Gorilla).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
MarriageToxin: I know it's wrong but I'm forever going to pronounce it in my head as "the Doggo Family" :laugh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hamster lady is my new favorite

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Romantic Killer: It has an interesting setup where rear end in a top hat fae force some random schmuck to be a shojo heroine. But the way each chapter just ends in the middle of a scenario with no fanfare is really jarring. Was this originally a manwah that they just squeezed its panels into one page or something?

OK, i'll bite

Who's Generic McDude up top here

edit: is it a Persona dude, i haven't played any of them

editedit: seriously that could be anyone

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 29, 2023

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Jacket with the two-tone lapels looks familiar, but cannot pinpoint the memory. Perhaps he is the everyman of everymen, a Platonic form writ blandly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

OK, i'll bite

He's not a persona dude. Which makes it trickier. He could just be captain generic, but that's kind of weird with how specific the other three are, and his face does feel familiar, in a generic way. So, dunno.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snake having two eye patches instead of a black bar is pretty good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Really good poo poo. It's so interesting to have Akane's shining moment of revenge turned against her as a career-stopping moment, because people were already wary of her (due to their misguided belief that she was Issho's new pet project), and now she's gone and messed up a senior rakugoka's act to get petty revenge. The zenza who worked alongside her in the beginning were able to warm up to her, but this new Top Zenza dude isn't as hot-blooded as the former one, and while her initial reputation was something that people could potentially look past, her deliberate actions are (to the rakugo community) indefensible to most.

I'm also excited to see what Rokuro's all about, he seems to have his own plans and schemes, and he has an interest in Akane's talents. I wonder if he's making his own, uh, clique or whatever, and seeing if Akane's worth recruiting?

Elusive Samurai: Good poo poo.

G&G: drat so Gluna is a genius who refused to learn other types of magic so she could have fun learnin' new spells herself, huh. Respect.

Ichinose Family: Seems interesting for now.

Mashle: Eh.

Roboco and Me: I don't really TikTok so the chapter didn't really hit but I assume it was a blast for, uh, the youth.

Sakamoto Days: Really wondering what the whole dealio with Amane's dad is, dude seems to have loved his son but killed his wife, and also got kicked out of the Order for some reason. What could it be????? Also drat Amane just choppin' off the dude's hand. No more hypnosis for you, dude.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins: Could be interesting, maybe. If this is anything like Takopi then it's going to rely on a lot of shock value to keep you reading. Then you look back at it all and realize the storytelling was kind of unsatisfying.

The Game Devil: I remain baffled on why they made the best friend/antagonist character remain faceless, considering how they're the biggest driving force in the plot.

Witch Watch: The series trying to have some plot going at this point just makes me go "why now???" The way it pretended to have some plot going for the first ten or so chapters only to ditch it and gently caress around for ages just soured me on this new development.

Takopi was weird. I don't regret reading it, but I really don't remember what it was that I read? It had some :( moments though.

What and where is romantic killer?

I stopped reading Game Devil because it felt so disjointed and messy and...kinda dull. Loved the art style though.

Witch Watch: I agree with you. I hold the first arc in WW in pretty high regards. It had some plot, then a lot of magic shenanigans and all the dumb spells came back for the climax of the first arc. I loved it. Afterwards it has just been meandering around. Sometimes with the magic fun and sometimes....not. I've soured quite a lot on WW as a result.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

HenryEx posted:

OK, i'll bite

I honestly don't know who's Generic McDude either. :laffo: Tried looking at the comments section to see if anyone recognized him, but the only thing I found out was that this already has an anime adaptation on Netflix.

Darth TNT posted:

What and where is romantic killer?

You can read the first two chapters here. Just be warned that the chapters end very abruptly, and I'm not sure why that is.

Darth TNT posted:

I stopped reading Game Devil because it felt so disjointed and messy and...kinda dull. Loved the art style though.

It's a shame that it's so messy and dull because there's some neat ideas in Game Devil. The MC wanting to write the story they want but having to deal with the fact that someone else used their OC, and how everyone thinks he's the copycat, could've been interesting to explore.

Darth TNT posted:

Witch Watch: I agree with you. I hold the first arc in WW in pretty high regards. It had some plot, then a lot of magic shenanigans and all the dumb spells came back for the climax of the first arc. I loved it. Afterwards it has just been meandering around. Sometimes with the magic fun and sometimes....not. I've soured quite a lot on WW as a result.

:hfive:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I started following Raiku on twitter to keep up with Gash bell updates, and he retweeted a youtuber whose face will forever haunt me in my nightmares.
https://twitter.com/kurutteyagaru/status/1591767526832496641

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Takopi was weird. I don't regret reading it, but I really don't remember what it was that I read? It had some :( moments though.

The author's also had a lot of one-shots translated by fans since then. I think they're worth looking up. Shorter page count makes the tone easier to grasp.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

You can read the first two chapters here. Just be warned that the chapters end very abruptly, and I'm not sure why that is.

Thanks! I actually read that first chapter but literally completely forgot about it. Probably a good sign.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've been really digging Gachiakatu, Story is fine enough but I think the art is still the big selling point for me.

Author has great flow and composition. combined with the occasional hip-hop aesthetics and punk mannerisms and It really does feel like something that someone will eventually put out a soundtrack for if not hopefully an animated adaptation. As for the most recent chapter, Anime rope/wire characters always wind up being among my favorite in their respective series so I'm liking this guy enough already. Also get dunked on mind control chick.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

theres a new manga in Jump called Cipher Academy and my first thought reading through it is that they should probably leave that one untranslated. The premise of the manga doesn't really..work for translation, I feel.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It has nice art but it feels like reading it will be a good way of making yourself feel stupid.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

theres a new manga in Jump called Cipher Academy and my first thought reading through it is that they should probably leave that one untranslated. The premise of the manga doesn't really..work for translation, I feel.

No man(ga) left behind, if they just skip over stuff then the next thing you know something like Beelzebub never gets on the app.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

It has nice art but it feels like reading it will be a good way of making yourself feel stupid.

Its a Nisiosin joint so it'll probably be the writer's equivlant of using 10,000 polygons to render a trashcan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that works for Cipher Academy is how the glasses are kind of a hint mode and don't just solve everything. Ichinose on the other hand has just completely lost me with this chapter. I just really dislike the trope of classmate pretending to be friendly only to reveal that they are like a sociopathic bully.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that works for Cipher Academy is how the glasses are kind of a hint mode and don't just solve everything. Ichinose on the other hand has just completely lost me with this chapter. I just really dislike the trope of classmate pretending to be friendly only to reveal that they are like a sociopathic bully.

oh, the author's doing that again already

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It was really 50/50 if the amnesiac was the bully or the other kid. And I'd forgotten what each family member looked like at the end of the first which hinted towards who they were before the accident.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
God, I love the sort of wild gambits that Elusive Samurai shows off. This week's just made me smile.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man, everything about Imagawa is loving wild.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Undead Unluck:
Hell yes Fuuko

Mash:
God finally
loving finally.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 20, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of this week's Witch Watch was kind of funny with the "yeah there's only a month until the big event but who can say how much happens in a month"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Undead Unluck:
Hell yes Fuuko

Mash:
God finally
loving finally.

Hang on Goku still needs to run down Snake Way.

But really though I hope after Mash kicks his rear end his muscles deflate and he looks like a used up beach ball.

Sakamoto: the old man is safe, but now someone I like better is in danger of eating it. :ohdear:

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Alacron posted:

Man, everything about Imagawa is loving wild.

I love that as wild as this poo poo gets there is a lot of real world elements grounding it (and horse meat is loving delicious, had horse sashimi once, amazing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Cipher Academy is interesting, despite elements that will inevitably lose something in translation. There’s a vague suggestion of political satire you wouldn’t expect in Jump.

The harem element (in the sense of the protagonist being a boy in an overwhelmingly female milieu) initially struck be as an unnecessary cliche here. It’s weird because I didn’t realize the main character was male until the other characters explicitly mention it halfway through; I’m not actually sure whether it was intended as a reveal or not (is the protagonist’s name usually a boy’s name?). But it feels like the series might be going somewhere interesting with it.