Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
are all the chat replies just "darktide"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bussamove posted:

Unless it’s a sniper in a hard to reach area I rarely ping specials because by the time pubbies notice I’ve already juked over and made their insides their outsides. For being short range/melee zealot is real good at tearing apart specials.

Considering rolling a veteran anyway though, in my Ratfite group I was almost always Kruber or Bardin with a long gun on special deleting duty.

I usually ping things just to keep track of them. Locking onto single targets for a brain bombing is difficult and having their head and shoulders highlighted above the crowd is really helpful.

The biggest issue with it is that someone inevitably does their best to try and take the pinged special down, and God bless them for it, and then I make their efforts for naught as the special's head explodes.

Re: Psyker, I like them a lot but I really hope the later talents do something with the brain blast buff more than what it is now. It's just not worth it to slam out a blast on trash every 30 seconds just to keep a whole 12% damage bonus when it means you have to burn a few seconds charging every time. The bonuses have to either go way up or they have to make the ability five times faster. It's already rate limited by Peril and that's fine.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 21, 2022

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
yeah, dark tide and sometimes "rock and stone"

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

pretty much

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pigbottom posted:

yeah, dark tide and sometimes "rock and stone"

Rock! And stone!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone seen a purple weapon in the normal store?
I think I remember seeing them there in the open beta some weeks back, but I haven't seen any since the prerelease dropped.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
They really need to add a dedicated "FOR THE EMPRAH!" button.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I'm still low level with the Psyker but I liked the axe, you can spam constantly the push+attack combo and solo hordes without a problem.

skaianDestiny posted:

They really need to add a dedicated "FOR THE EMPRAH!" button.

I never knew it until now but I need a shout button like in Chivalry.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Feel so bad for the devs who have to interact with discord.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

I usually ping things just to keep track of them. Locking onto single targets for a brain bombing is difficult and having their head and shoulders highlighted above the crowd is really helpful.

The biggest issue with it is that someone inevitably does their best to try and take the pinged special down, and God bless them for it, and then I make their efforts for naught as the special's head explodes.

Re: Psyker, I like them a lot but I really hope the later talents do something with the brain blast buff more than what it is now. It's just not worth it to slam out a blast on trash every 30 seconds just to keep a whole 12% damage bonus when it means you have to burn a few seconds charging every time. The bonuses have to either go way up or they have to make the ability five times faster. It's already rate limited by Peril and that's fine.

I find it's pretty easy to keep stacks up with the '4% chance when you or your teammate gets any kill while in coherency' feat and brain popping when needed.

Estel posted:

I'm still low level with the Psyker but I liked the axe, you can spam constantly the push+attack combo and solo hordes without a problem.

I never knew it until now but I need a shout button like in Chivalry.

Yeah the push attack is good but I like just dancing around dodging with the dueling sword better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

The trend of devs opening up public Discords for anything but small indie projects sounds awful. If I worked as a game developer and had to read Discord feedback as part of my job I would hate it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm surprised to learn that the Ogryn thumper doesn't even stagger pox bursters. That thing sends whole waves of walkers on their rear end and violently throws maulers to the floor, so you can imagine my disappointment hearing the beep and thinking "aha, I'm the answer to this" and seeing the ambulatory pile of grenades body slam us through the shot.

I was slightly miffed the first time I saw a charging mutant and found out I don't win tackle contests.

I mean it worked on the Plague Ogryn...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Popete posted:

The trend of devs opening up public Discords for anything but small indie projects sounds awful. If I worked as a game developer and had to read Discord feedback as part of my job I would hate it.

I think it happens because forums are a dead form of communication, we're just the weird ones that are hanging on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, I didn't want to like the Ogryn shield and club, but this is a cool set up. I'm sure I'll switch to a 2h hammer whenever we get those, but still pretty drat fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

Anytime I look at a game’s steam community discussions or discord I reflexively feel a deep pain for their community managers. poo poo’s dire.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Floppychop posted:

I think it happens because forums are a dead form of communication, we're just the weird ones that are hanging on.

It's pretty much this. Discord is just part of Community Management these days. Bigger teams tend to have dedicated people for wrangling discord.

Bless them for existing, I simply couldn't do that job.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pretty much all of the substantive Discord channels for feedback are just locked with a link to their forums.

bug reports, technical support, and feedback are all the same

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BabelFish posted:

It's pretty much this. Discord is just part of Community Management these days. Bigger teams tend to have dedicated people for wrangling discord.

Bless them for existing, I simply couldn't do that job.

Yeah I guess they really are just a replacement for forums. I just would hate to be a dev and have that be a part of my job, unless it was for a small indie game with a reasonable community.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

Okay, I didn't want to like the Ogryn shield and club, but this is a cool set up. I'm sure I'll switch to a 2h hammer whenever we get those, but still pretty drat fun.

I go back and forth on the club itself but the shield feels invaluable for blocking stray shots if you can't close the distance. I miss my shovel so much but feel naked without the shield now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

Compared to what you usually see on global chats/discords I'm fine with that. *Looks at Eugen global chat angrily*

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Between the bigotry, the slurs, the sense of humor and the incredibly bad, constant takes on game design that I have seen in reading like fifteen total minutes of the Darktide discord we should kill all gamers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

Between the bigotry, the slurs, the sense of humor and the incredibly bad, constant takes on game design that I have seen in reading like fifteen total minutes of the Darktide discord we should kill all gamers.

Not just gamers, add 40K fans on top of it. The series who fan base is so toxic that the company that runs it had to famously put out a statement going "you know the theocratic fascist military state aren't the good guys, right?"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not just gamers, add 40K fans on top of it. The series who fan base is so toxic that the company that runs it had to famously put out a statement going "you know the theocratic fascist military state aren't the good guys, right?"

The full story behind the statement was an affiliate tournament in spain where somebody showed up wearing sonnenrads and with an ss themed army, and when the other players declined to play with them the tournament organizers for some reason decided to count it as a full forfeit without considering extenuating circumstances. GW did damage control.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, it's at the intersection of toxic dude-bro shoot-man gamers and a tabletop setting that attracts the worst kind of shithead creating apologia for a fascist police state in a perpetual war with the entire rest of the universe. It's a similar problem with basically all 40k games.

It's best not to go seeking out the community on this one. Play with goons or turn your in game comms off.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honeatly GW has done a good job in recent years of turning off that kind of person by just making minorities more visible in the art and lore. Theyre real thin skinnned and a lot of them jumped onto battletech instead, unfortunate for that fandom.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Chainclaw posted:

ever since the beta opened, we can't stop saying "are you up for the Darktide Pod Challenge?" when inviting people to join our game

what, uhh, is the darktide pod challenge?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A couple months back Hedge wrote a large post on the steam discussions telling chuds upset at the existence of women and non-white characters in the game not to play it. Apparently 40k has enough Big Fascism Fans that this needed to be said.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

A couple months back Hedge wrote a large post on the steam discussions telling chuds upset at the existence of women and non-white characters in the game not to play it. Apparently 40k has enough Big Fascism Fans that this needed to be said.

There was a 'guide' on the Steam side of things that was so wildly transphobic that I was actually shocked by it, despite the years of trash I've seen at this point, all because the women in the game are not pretty by weirdo standards. Thankfully gone now.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I unlocked first force staves and got myself a force sword now too. Running double force weapon is a bit hazardous, but it is so much fun. Probably going for the random brain burst perk just to get damage boosts while in melee. Force Sword special is so much faster than headpopping to take out anyone close range, so I am running low on warp charges most of the time.

Not having to care at all about ammo is a bliss. Can have my own fun without reducing fun from others.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unfortunately I don't think 40k can ever really thread the needle of dark, blunt, satire and epic scale heroic action. The imperium is monstrous but since its also the most popular faction it will have elements of heroism inside of it, and some people will always just go 'wow, cool bolter!'

There is some fun fiction from the perspective of like the alpha legion that openly talks about how monstrous and deleterious the imperium is to the galaxy as a whole but also thats the evil spiky marines talking, although a more reasonable strain of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Unfortunately I don't think 40k can ever really thread the needle of dark, blunt, satire and epic scale heroic action. The imperium is monstrous but since its also the most popular faction it will have elements of heroism inside of it, and some people will always just go 'wow, cool bolter!'

There is some fun fiction from the perspective of like the alpha legion that openly talks about how monstrous and deleterious the imperium is to the galaxy as a whole but also thats the evil spiky marines talking, although a more reasonable strain of them.

It's also the reality of the Imperium being mostly normal humans and people tend to root for the humans. Even the other fan favorites, the Orks, are in many ways beloved for the reasons they are similar to humans, while the Tyranids are a harder sell.

There isn't anything specifically wrong with liking the Imperial Guard on a personal level because individual soldiers get shipped and told to fight or die. There's a reason why series like Gaunt's Ghosts are so widely liked, because it's just a group of dudes trying to get out alive most of the time. It's when you start looking at the broader picture and approving of that, that's when you get in trouble.

I mean, this game had it so that the med stations are guys that have been enslaved and mutilated just to dispense medication because a coin slot is too simple and AI is dogmatically evil. What the gently caress

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 21, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Seems like the ideal would be for the setting to portray the big fascist faction as cartoonishly inhuman and openly evil, only accomplishing anything through immeasurable self-destruction, to the point that there’s no possible way to misconstrue them as being heroic; such as, hypothetically, depicting them as goofy large rat men who say “will stab-stab,” commit egregious amounts of friendly fire, and only succeed at anything through their immense numbers and destruction of the environment.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Seems like the ideal would be for the setting to portray the big fascist faction as cartoonishly inhuman and openly evil, only accomplishing anything through immeasurable self-destruction, to the point that there’s no possible way to misconstrue them as being heroic; such as, hypothetically, depicting them as goofy large meat men who say “for the emperor" commit egregious amounts of friendly fire, and only succeed at anything through their immense numbers and destruction of the environment.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Seems like the ideal would be for the setting to portray the big fascist faction as cartoonishly inhuman and openly evil, only accomplishing anything through immeasurable self-destruction, to the point that there’s no possible way to misconstrue them as being heroic; such as, hypothetically, depicting them as goofy large green men who say “waaagh” commit egregious amounts of friendly fire, and only succeed at anything through their immense numbers and destruction of the environment.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I just dont think it can be done

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Seems like the ideal would be for the setting to portray the big fascist faction as cartoonishly inhuman and openly evil, only accomplishing anything through immeasurable self-destruction, to the point that there’s no possible way to misconstrue them as being heroic; such as, hypothetically, depicting them as goofy large xenomorph men who say “skreeeeee” commit egregious amounts of friendly fire, and only succeed at anything through their immense numbers and destruction of the environment.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Chazani posted:

I unlocked first force staves and got myself a force sword now too. Running double force weapon is a bit hazardous, but it is so much fun. Probably going for the random brain burst perk just to get damage boosts while in melee. Force Sword special is so much faster than headpopping to take out anyone close range, so I am running low on warp charges most of the time.

Not having to care at all about ammo is a bliss. Can have my own fun without reducing fun from others.

The nice thing is at least that both increase your quelling speed while it's out (plus you move way faster while doing so) , so you can readily shunt your perils off and be ready for another round.

I've been incredibly happy with all the staves I've found so far. Conflag is back and it does way more damage, exploding people's legs out from underneath them. Chain lightning just auto aiming and smoking smaller packs of units feels great, and it does increased damage to armored opponents so it still works really well on maulers and crushers. Void strike fireballs are high comedy, penetrating deep into enemy ranksand detonating for absurd damage. I've yet to see the flamethrower staff but if it's anything like the zealot one it's also going to be wicked sick.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Honeatly GW has done a good job in recent years of turning off that kind of person by just making minorities more visible in the art and lore. Theyre real thin skinnned and a lot of them jumped onto battletech instead, unfortunate for that fandom.
It's been rough.

A very vocal portion of the Battletech community lost their minds because a tank called the "Patton" is getting a release soon, but not the "Rommel". Note: they are the same tank, just the "Rommel" was a moniker used for a specific weapon loadout version of the Patton. They have always used the same model on the tabletop as well. So basically the new packs will have "Patton tank" instead of "Patton/Rommel tank" on the label.

There was also a meltdown that happened when Catalyst games didn't renew a writing contract with an author that has gone off the rails with white supremacist and lost cause poo poo.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

what, uhh, is the darktide pod challenge?

complete a level without getting angry at someone in your squad it's impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's also the reality of the Imperium being mostly normal humans and people tend to root for the humans. Even the other fan favorites, the Orks, are in many ways beloved for the reasons they are similar to humans, while the Tyranids are a harder sell.

There isn't anything specifically wrong with liking the Imperial Guard on a personal level because individual soldiers get shipped and told to fight or die. There's a reason why series like Gaunt's Ghosts are so widely liked, because it's just a group of dudes trying to get out alive most of the time. It's when you start looking at the broader picture and approving of that, that's when you get in trouble.

I mean, this game had it so that the med stations are guys that have been enslaved and mutilated just to dispense medication because a coin slot is too simple and AI is dogmatically evil. What the gently caress

One of the last Medicae stations I visited had the servitor say something along the line of "Please, do not go. It is so lonely here", and that just caused my group to double-take for a second and just WTF at that.