Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Gin is the Launch of one piece

The best girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The mystery of Gin: why does anyone give a crap about this minor midboss from the East Blue

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

The mystery of Gin: why does anyone give a crap about this minor midboss from the East Blue

Because One Piece hardly ever lets anyone noteworthy just go off into the sunset. Like, I don’t get the Gin hype/theories, but I kinda get it cause this is the same manga where the first boss who was beaten in one hit is the kinda sorta unofficial first mate of the other mid boss who’s probably literally no joke going to be celebrated as the new Pirate King* in his never ending quest to fail upwards.

*no I don’t think Buggy actually is going to find the One Piece but something’s gonna happen that makes everyone think he did because it would be funny

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

what did zoro want from vegapunk i wonder
To get Kuma fixed. I just know Zoro has mad respect for the guy who almost killed him, lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

They think it’s funny. They’re wrong

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Gin is cool and definitely coming back!!!!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

HerraS posted:

Gin is cool and definitely coming back!!!!

:blastu:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Star Platinum posted:

Clunkily written character with a forgettable design so you just bring it up over and over for twenty years as a troll. It's like the baneposting of one piece.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

He's basically the only character that's a loose end. All the other defeated enemies are presumably in prison or otherwise accounted for, all the previous allies get call-outs or cover pages every now and then. Gin left on relatively friendly terms and we've never seen him again. As far as I can recall he is unique in that respect.

I'd be interested if I was wrong. Are there any other characters who just disappeared like Gin did?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where is “axe hand” Morgan?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hatty posted:

Where is “axe hand” Morgan?
Good question! Though the only reason we've got any reason to wonder about him is he had a whole cover story where he broke out of prison. And his son is still a relevant character. That's still more followup than Gin or any of the Don Krieg pirates ever got.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Eiba posted:

He's basically the only character that's a loose end. All the other defeated enemies are presumably in prison or otherwise accounted for, all the previous allies get call-outs or cover pages every now and then. Gin left on relatively friendly terms and we've never seen him again. As far as I can recall he is unique in that respect.

I'd be interested if I was wrong. Are there any other characters who just disappeared like Gin did?

Forgetting someone completely forgettable is not a lose end

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
drat what’s up with the pet food store owner from the buggy fight? He HAS to come back on elbaf

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
gins not a loose end. he died like a dog due to the poison or whatever. serves him right for teaming up with a craven moron like Don Krieg.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Whatever happened to that Kuro guy?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
gin provided some good sanji moments. hes served his purpose he can rest now

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
bellamy's the new hotness anyway

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gin is one of One Piece's Glup Shittos

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

Forgetting someone completely forgettable is not a lose end
I'll put it this way then, he's the biggest loose end that we probably aren't ever going to get addressed at all. That does not make him a particularly big loose end. But the fact that such a small plot is the only one unresolved or addressed in any way is a testemant to just how thorough everything else is in One Piece.

To clarify, I'm not one of the ones who makes Gin jokes all the time, and I'm not saying he'll come back. I do think this is the reason folks have latched on to him. I don't think any other character's story is as unresolved as Gin's. I don't think that means Gin's story needs to be resolved, but it's still an interesting distinction.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Whatever happened to that Kuro guy?
To be honest I forgot that he sailed away with his crew. I thought he was vaguely... captured or something. His goal was to retire though so he probably retired.

Gin said in so many words that he hoped to see Luffy again on the Grand Line, so I'd say that's a bigger loose end.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gin promised to come back, thats why ppl are annoyed. i think oda killed him offscreen at this point but will never again commit to the mortal sin of "character promises return + dies" in a comic where he always makes ppl come back if he promises that and never kills them. its basically just oda breaking his own narrative rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kuro is shown in prison in an anime-only scene but I think otherwise it's implied his crew killed him for selling them out.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Gin became a cook offscreen. And will never show up again.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I see a lot of theories about devil fruits that seem to go along the lines of "they are the will of people" or that they are souls, but I feel like that doesn't explain the whole "hated by the sea" part. The mystery around what devil fruits are is something I hope gets answered at least. :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, we got the dude who can answer it right in front of us

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Gin... is returning!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think gin could have gone on to do something if he weren't still shackled to don krieg, the most small minded mofo on the sea. gin went into obscurity because that's the only place krieg could possibly go. jaya background character is a lofty height krieg can't ever reach.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The Gin ship has sailed because the perfect time to reintroduce him would have been as one of Kaido's card-game theme named underlings.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We have sailed beyond caring for the East Blue. It's all Grand Line all the time now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think gin could have gone on to do something if he weren't still shackled to don krieg, the most small minded mofo on the sea. gin went into obscurity because that's the only place krieg could possibly go. jaya background character is a lofty height krieg can't ever reach.

Hey, at least Don Krieg was intending to get back to the Grand Line eventually. Kuro decided things were getting too hot for him on the East Blue so he faked his death for a three year long plan to steal a girl's inheritance and become the richest man on a third rate island in a fifth rate sea.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Gin is a meme reference from boring people who use joke references to try and fill the space where their soul should be.

Let them make them, they don't have anything else in their life.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Where's my boy Pearl at?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, at least Don Krieg was intending to get back to the Grand Line eventually. Kuro decided things were getting too hot for him on the East Blue so he faked his death for a three year long plan to steal a girl's inheritance and become the richest man on a third rate island in a fifth rate sea.

it is kinda funny how small time his plans really were lol

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Super Rad posted:

The Gin ship has sailed because the perfect time to reintroduce him would have been as one of Kaido's card-game theme named underlings.

His name is pronounced with a hard G, it's Japanese for silver.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Gin can't come back to One Piece until he's done with his job terrorizing Detective Conan

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

it is kinda funny how small time his plans really were lol

Kuro is like exhibit A of "oda really did not expect the power creep to get as absurd as it did" because it's hard looking back to see how the dude could ever have been a big deal in One Piece world that arc tried to sell him as given what the actual power players are like in comparison.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Libra posted:

His name is pronounced with a hard G, it's Japanese for silver.

Wow, well maybe he'll come back when HxH does, then.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Super Rad posted:

Wow, well maybe he'll come back when HxH does, then.

Gin's on Egghead??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HxH has been back for weeks.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It is pretty funny that Don Krieg wears a suit of golden armor but his second in command just gets a silver tracksuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gin was Gold Roger's other kid.