Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What would it take for you to watch Dana White's Power Slap League?
This poll is closed.
Dana White gets slapped at the beginning of each episode 11 22.92%
Dana's rotating cast of friends and politicians getting slapped on each episode 11 22.92%
Fight Circus crossover 5 10.42%
Literally no force on Earth will make me watch slap fighting 21 43.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If anyone feels like touching the poop, he extremely needs to be told that he extremely needs to stop drinking now. He looks like he's about to keep over from chronic alcohol consumption.

That probably explains a lot of the stupidity tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CommonShore posted:

If anyone feels like touching the poop, he extremely needs to be told that he extremely needs to stop drinking now. He looks like he's about to keep over from chronic alcohol consumption.

He was this stupid all his life.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CommonShore posted:

always-has-been.jpg

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

France is not a melting pot. You might get citizenship but rarely will you be seen as “French”. I’ve heard the same about most of Europe.

It seems to be a bit more complicated than that. They claim that once you are French, you are French. They despise hyphenated terms like "African-American" - you are not African, you are American. This became messy in 2018 when Trevor Noah joked that the French team that won the world cup was actually African and the French ambassador sent him a letter saying he was being racist or something. Trevor Noah explaining his thoughts after receiving the letter is a really good watch:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/19/17590302/trevor-noah-france-french-ambassador-araud-world-cup

This is all sort of tangential to Ngannou's experience that if he wins he is French, if he loses he is Cameroonian - I could easily see that happening.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
After months of defending his homeland, Yaroslav Amasov returns to defend his Bellator title in February against interim champ Logan Storley

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

Speaking of local favorite Chase Sherman, his strategy against Salsa boy was goddamn frustrating/hilarious. He was murdering Waldo with leg kicks in the first half of the first round, then abandoned this strategy in favor of (checks notes) standing in front of him and being punched in the face a whole lot. He then hit like two leg kicks in the third round which had Waldo visibly contemplating his poor life decisions and then returned to standing still in front of him, being punched in the face a whole lot more. I cannot for the life of me understand how neither he nor his coaches failed to pick up on the impact his kicks were having. Had he landed maybe seven-eight more leg kicks, he could have been the owner of a leg kick TKO...

The problem was Waldo, for his many faults, is a decent boxer with decent hands, and Sherman, while he has some good mix-up combinations, drops off precipitously in technique once he gets tired. You can see Sherman really hurting him with the leg kicks in the beginning, but he's doing it by hiding them at the ends of punching combinations, and by the start of the second round Sherman's already flagging (getting punched in the head several dozen times probably didn't help), so he starts throwing naked leg kicks instead, and once Waldo realizes it and starts smacking him upside the head when he tries it, Sherman gives up.

genuinely way more excited about the possibility of a healthy Tatiana Suarez back in MMA than a heavyweight Jon Jones

LobsterMobster posted:

After months of defending his homeland, Yaroslav Amasov returns to defend his Bellator title in February against interim champ Logan Storley

I wondered if they'd let him have a 'hey, here's a de-rusting fight after two years of being on the shelf and fighting a literal war' fight, but I guess he's been fighting against horrifying, unethical grind already

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This made me look up Nikita Krylov and realize he is on Some Bullshit and currently living in Moscow after his gym chased gim out of Kyiv.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
what if they held a ppv and nobody bought it?

warning - the following event is only for sickos and perverts

:siren: B League Preview :siren:

PFL 10: Championships - Friday November 25

Main Card - 8PM ET, EPSN+ PPV (lol, lmao)

Lightweight Title - Kayla Harrison vs Larissa Pacheco

Kayla Harrison has once again made it to the PFL Championship Finals. She went 2-0 in the regular season, with one decision and one first round TKO win. In the semi-final playoffs, she punched her ticket to New York with a first round arm triangle submission.

Pacheco is also back in the finals, assuming her weight cut goes well between the writing of this preview and the weigh-ins. She went 2-0 in the regular season, winning both by first round TKOs. Her semi-final appearance was more of the same, another first round TKO.

Pacheco is 7-Kayla Harrison in PFL, having lost by decision to the judo gold medalist in the opening bout of the 2019 season, and again in the 2019 tournament finals. Pacheco absolutely needs to avoid getting caught in a clinch situation and being violently judo’d. That, of course, is far easier said than done.

Featherweight Title - Brendan Loughnane vs Bubba “Bad Man” Jenkins

Loughnane went 2-0 in the regular season, winning both bouts by decision. His playoff bout against Chris Wade also saw him win on the judges score cards.

Jenkins also won by decision in his first two bouts of the PFL regular season. His semi-final contest ended a lot quicker, as he submitted Ryoji Kudo in under two minutes.

These guys are notorious non-finishes. Across their combined 12 PFL bouts, only two have ended early. Jenkins will have a big advantage in wrestling, but Loughnane has proven he can handle himself against top level wrestlers.

Heavyweight Title - Ante “Walking Trouble” Delija vs Matheus “Buffa” Scheffel

Delija went 2-0 in the regular season, winning his first bout by second-round TKO, then taking a decision his next time out. In the semi-finals, Ante put away big Renan Ferreira in the first round, setting himself up for a title opportunity.

Scheffel went 1-1 in the regular season, losing his opening bout to Ante Delija. He rebounded with a decision over Bruno Cappelozza. With Cappelozza deemed unable to continue in the playoffs, Scheffel was slotted in, and he made the most of his opportunity, defeating another late replacement in Juan Adams with a third round TKO.

Scheffel shouldn’t even be here, and he already lost to Delija. I don’t think things are going to go well for Buffa.

Featherweight - Julia “The Jewel” Budd vs Aspen Ladd

Budd is 16-4, with 6 TKO wins under her belt. She came in to PFL last year as a featured fighter, not part of the tournament, winning a decision over Kaitlin Young. In the 2022 regular season, she lost to Genah Fabian, and then had to pull out of a scheduled contest with Kayla Harrison due to injury.

Ladd is 9-3, also with 6 TKO wins. Since 2020, Ladd has had to pull out of 4 bouts, while only making it inside the cage twice. She left the UFC on a two-fight losing streak, her last win coming in 2019.

One can hope that Ladd, now getting booked at featherweight, will have a healthier weight cut. She’s also about 12 years younger than Budd, if that kind of thing interests you.

Lightweight Title - Stevie “Braveheart” Ray vs Olivier “The Canadian Gangster” Aubin-Mercier

Ray dropped his 2022 regular season debut, losing a decision to Alex Martinez. He rebounded very well, submitting Anthony Pettis with a modified twister, earning him the opportunity to go to the playoffs and face Anthony Pettis. Ray took a decision over “Showtime”, putting him into the championship finals.

Aubin-Mercier has been a decision winning machine this year. He took a split nod over Natan Schulte in the opening contest of 2022, then got unanimous nods over Raush Manfio in the second regular season bout, and Alex Martinez in the semi-finals.

Hey, who would have thought two guys with a combined 14-9 UFC record would be fighting for a lower tier organization’s title? Oh, is that something reasonable to assume would happen? Because the competition isn’t as good? Anyway, gold is in the future for one of these mans!

Welterweight Title - Dilano “The Postman” Taylor vs Sadibou “The Swedish Denzel Washington” Sy

Taylor got into the 2022 PFL season by winning on the Challenger Series by way of an eye injury. He took a split decision over Joao Zeferino, then lost to the angry fists of Magomed Magomedkerimov. All hope looked to have withered away. However, Magomed Umalatov was unable to continue in the tournament, providing Taylor with another opening. He obliterated the #1 seed, Rory MacDonald in the first round, sending “The Postman” to the title finals.

Sy went 2-0 in the regular season, winning both bouts by decision, including a very dominant win over Rory MacDonald. He then won a decision in the playoffs to punch his ticket to the finals.

The Welterweight title will be fought over by two Rory MacDonald vanquishers. May the best man win.

Light Heavyweight Title - Omari “Wolverine” Akhmedov vs Rob “Razor” Wilkinson

Akhmedov went 2-0 with two finishes in the regular season portion. He detonated an overhand right on Viktor Pesta in under 90 seconds, then submitted Teodoras Aukstuolis in the second round, earning him #2 seed honors. In the playoffs, he luckily avoided an injured Shoeface, and instead took Josh Silveira to a decision.

Wilkinson also went 2-0 in the 2022 PFL regular season. He took out Bruce Souto with knees and punches early in round two of his first bout. Rob then punched out Viktor Pesta in the first round to earn #1 seed honors for the playoffs. In the semi-finals he knocked out Delan Monte in the first round.

We’ve got a rarity here. Other than Women’s Lightweight, the Light Heavyweight title is the only other championship contested between #1 and #2 seeds.

Prelim Card - 5:30PM ET, ESPN+

Bantamweight - Sheymon Moraes vs “Magic” Marlon Moraes

Sheymon Moraes is 14-6, with 7 wins by TKO. He went 3-1 in WSoF, 2-3 in UFC, and is currently 3-2 in PFL, most recently losing a decision to Lance Palmer to keep him out of the 2022 Playoffs.

Marlon Moraes is 23-10, with 10 wins by TKO and 6 by submission. He went 11-0 in WSoF, winning the Bantamweight title and notching 5 successful defenses. He went 5-6 in UFC, including dropping his last 4, all of those by TKO.

This is a rematch from the WSoF days, a fight Marlon won by third round RNC. However, that was many, many concussions ago for the Magic Man. This whole situation feels gross. I was hoping Marlon would just retire and be with his family.

Lightweight - Natan “Russo” Schulte vs Jeremy “Lil Heathen” Stephens

Schulte is 22-5, with 4 TKOs and 9 submission wins. He’s 11-2 in PFL, winning the 2018 and 2019 titles. His 2022 was less successful, going 1-1 in the regular season and missing the playoffs.

Stephens is 29-20, with 18 TKOs. He boasts an awe-inspiring 15-18 UFC record, losing 5 of his last 6 bouts, the sole outlier being a 15-second no contest after accidental eye pokes. He went 1-1 in the 2022 PFL regular season, missing out on the playoffs.

For a big time puncher, Stephens last KO win was 2018. Granted, he’s only got one other win since then, but even in his long UFC run, he only notched 8 KOs in his 15 wins.

Welterweight - Magomed Magomedkerimov vs Gleison Tibau

Magomedkerimov is 30-6, with 11 TKOs and 10 submission wins. He is 11-1 in PFL, winning the 2018 title. Illness forced him to withdraw in 2019, and he lost in the 2021 finals to Ray Cooper III. He went 1-0 in the 2022 regular season, with visa issues preventing him from competing until the second set of welterweight bouts.

Tibau is 36-16, with 4 TKOs and 14 submission wins. He went 16-12 in the UFC, dropping his last four. He is 2-2 in PFL, going 0-1 in the 2022 regular season.

As always, pick the man with the most Magomeds in the name, and Magomed Magomedkerimov has perhaps the most Magomeds of all.

Flyweight - Dakota Ditcheva vs Katherine Corogenes

Ditcheva is 6-0, with 5 wins by TKO. She is 1-0 in PFL, destroying Hassna Gaber’s liver with a clinch knee in just under one minute back in August.

Corogenes is 2-0, one win by submission, one win by TKO.

Ditcheva has a lot more experience, though neither fighter has faced what one might consider “solid” competition.

Lightweight (Amateur) - Biaggio Ali Walsh vs Tom Graesser

Walsh is 1-1, with his win coming by first round TKO, the loss by second round submission.

Graesser is making his MMA debut, and he’s not even getting paid for this one. What a doofus!

We got amateurs now? Oofa doofa, this is gonna be awkward and bad for however long it lasts.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
My research on PFL's website indicates to me is that people or computers that are located in Portugal will be able to watch the show on Youtube for free like the previous 9 shows this season.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Boco_T posted:

My research on PFL's website indicates to me is that people or computers that are located in Portugal will be able to watch the show on Youtube for free like the previous 9 shows this season.

obrigado, para bens

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

genuinely way more excited about the possibility of a healthy Tatiana Suarez back in MMA than a heavyweight Jon Jones

Yeah, she was scary. Hope she can come back in decent condition.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Aye Doc posted:

speakin of Jon Jones

I think it was Morning Kombat that pointed out that Jon has been talking about fighting at heavyweight for over 10 years now. poo poo or get off the pot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

what if they held a ppv and nobody bought it?

if your job isn't the being the joe silva for one or more obscure fight leagues then it could be.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

lobmob you are a machine and my enhanced math senses tell me 94.6% of viewers for this pay per view will be watching through a restream of another website's stream that has it under a category labeled "UFC"

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1595171803621560320

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hmmm, I wonder what's considered a foul. Finally the crossover to mount of BJJ meets the crossover dribble of B-ball.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Somehow the weirdest part of that to me is the backboard made of a material that shatters like that, is that normal?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Just start a calcio storico league already.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Brut posted:

Somehow the weirdest part of that to me is the backboard made of a material that shatters like that, is that normal?

It's safety glass, which still isn't particularly safe if you have six barefoot guys running around

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah I busted my truck window once and just nonchalantly raked the broken bits of glass off my seat and sliced my hand all the gently caress up like a dumbass. I also kneeled on a piece of it when I was a kid and I still have the scar. Safer than regular glass dagger-like shards but you still gotta be careful with it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

CarlCX posted:

The problem was Waldo, for his many faults, is a decent boxer with decent hands, and Sherman, while he has some good mix-up combinations, drops off precipitously in technique once he gets tired. You can see Sherman really hurting him with the leg kicks in the beginning, but he's doing it by hiding them at the ends of punching combinations, and by the start of the second round Sherman's already flagging (getting punched in the head several dozen times probably didn't help), so he starts throwing naked leg kicks instead, and once Waldo realizes it and starts smacking him upside the head when he tries it, Sherman gives up.

You're not wrong and I did notice the transition from kicks hidden behind the double jab or the one-two to the naked, less effective kicks. I'm just saying that this is where his corner should have told him to throw pitter-patter punches and keep at the kicks. It doesn't take that much more energy than being beaten like a piñata and it was obviously his best path to victory. Literally a handful more leg kicks would have changed the fight completely. But I guess that's heavyweight for you :shrug:

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...55-bca31cea3a73

quote:

Brink said he's a Mormon and his first reaction was to question why his son was at a gay bar.

“You know Mormons don't do gay. We don't do gay. There's no gays in the Mormon church. We don't do gay,” Brink said.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In case that was weirdly non-sequitur for anyone else, Aaron Brink, the Club Q shooter's father, debuted in the UFC against Arlovski back in 1998. Arlovski was also debuting.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sure, I'm a drug-smuggling cage fighting meth-peddling armed robber, but being gay, can you imagine

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bring back slamball! Or full contact basketball maybe without the trampolines

Hollandia posted:

Just start a calcio storico league already.

Part of the fun of watching for me is that because only 3 games a year get played the game and strategies have to evolve so slowly

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Friendship is the greatest of gifts, and the greatest tragedy of life is the way it fades in the mists of autumn
https://twitter.com/andyste123/status/1595352924921778176

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lol it looks like both of them are stretching their arms out as wide as they can and conor's hand is in the foreground while artem's is in the background

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Foul Fowl posted:

lol it looks like both of them are stretching their arms out as wide as they can and conor's hand is in the foreground while artem's is in the background

huh?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was trying to say that artem got really short arms and they make me laugh

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

youre laughing

artem lobov cant exaggerate how big the fish he caught was, and youre laughing at him

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

someone post the Artem roll.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

dont have that one (at least not in an easily findable location), but i got this

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

if artems arms had been just 3 inches longer he would have been an unironic fan favourite

also get paid artem

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

LobsterMobster posted:

youre laughing

artem lobov cant exaggerate how big the fish he caught was, and youre laughing at him

lol it really looks like he's saying, the fish was this big, and conor's saying, you mean this big?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love chael sonnen's new bit of daily anti-trump-reply-guy flavored quote tweets of john cena

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

dont have that one (at least not in an easily findable location), but i got this
ooh i haven't seen that one.

Found the artem roll!
https://streamable.com/gr0wn

mewse
May 2, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

ooh i haven't seen that one.

Found the artem roll!
https://streamable.com/gr0wn

That's some slick poo poo

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

the best part is no matter how tragic artem lobov as a fighter, he's a winner because the funniest thing about him will always be what he did to actual boxing champion paulie malignaggi

quote:

On March 7, 2019, news surfaced that Malignaggi had signed an exclusive contract with Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship and he made his debut in June 2019 against Artem Lobov. Malignaggi has history with Lobov's training partner, Conor McGregor, and the bout between Lobov and Malignaggi was billed to be a "grudge match" and took place at BKFC 6 on June 22, 2019. Malignaggi stated "if I don’t hurt him to a degree that there’s something permanent there, it’s not a win for me” and vowed to put Lobov in a coma hoping to bait Conor McGregor into a fight. Malignaggi lost the fight via unanimous decision. After the fight, he announced his retirement from fighting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jiri's seriously injured and has vacated the title. The fight's off. Blacho v. Ankalaev is now the main event.

https://twitter.com/The_MMA_Media/status/1595526065405009920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Jiri/Glover is off due to a severe injury and he vacated the title and now it’s Jan/Ankalaev for the title. Glover was offered the title shot but turned it down.

Trying my hardest to not don my USADA branded tin foil hat

Edit: Beaten! But still, odd circumstances. Glover’s up there in age, you’d think he’d keep the fight.