Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

teagone posted:

Yes, I've read the original manga several times over. But your argument was that there's no reason for her to have big eyes, which was wrong, because they gave a reason in the film. Just making a point is all. I get why people are averse to the visual though. Live-action big anime eyes aren't for everyone, lol. Even I didn't like it initially when I saw the first teaser. It grew on me as I saw more trailers, and eventually ended up loving her design after seeing the film (I saw it 5 times in the theater).

Ah, yeah gotcha. They gave an explanation within the narrative film. I was meaning more that there wasn't really a reason from a story-crafting perspective. The narrative would be effectively the same, the production would be cheaper, and I wouldn't be so spooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, yeah gotcha. They gave an explanation within the narrative film. I was meaning more that there wasn't really a reason from a story-crafting perspective. The narrative would be effectively the same, the production would be cheaper, and I wouldn't be so spooked.

the “story-crafting” reason is to make alita unique looking among the rest of the characters in a fundamental way without being unfaithful to the source material. there are a lot of reasons to like her big eyes and only one reason to dislike them

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Related, it was always Cameron's intent for Alita to be a fully CG character and attempt to replicate manga/anime eyes in live-action for her design while he was developing the film:

Robert Rodriguez posted:

It was always [James Cameron]’s intention to create a photo-realistic version of the manga eyes that we’re so accustomed to seeing. We really wanted to honor that tradition and see that look standing next to any human character. To have the right person to emote behind it was really essential. Her origins are in the film and you understand why she looks that way. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, we have some pretty big windows. You can see a lot going on in there! When it gets to the emotional scenes it’s really uncanny and striking. And captivating!

Also my brain picked up on the small refinements made to Alita's eyes in the film's release, but here's RR explaining/showing exactly what changes they made to her eyes prior to the movie's premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEBVNGS16Qk

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Samovar posted:

...surely all you'd need to do is re-watch the first movie?

I want Edge of Tomorrow 2: Live Die Repeat not Edge of Tomorrow: Live Die Repeated

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like big eyes and I cannot lie

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

GrandpaPants posted:

Alita was fun whenever the movie didn't focus on the lovely romance plot.

Yeah that dude was like a 6 at best, she could do way better

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

Oh no, the latina part is Cameron too. Michelle Rodriguez was in Avatar (also hope she returns in Alita 2), Natalia Reyes plays the savior of humanity in Terminator: Dark Fate, and Dark Angel had Jessica Alba play a supersoldier. This probably goes all the way back to Vasquez.

Played by noted Hispanic actress Jenette Goldstein.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cacator posted:

Yeah that dude was like a 6 at best, she could do way better

Hugo needed to be either more cute or more scruffy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

100% agree, lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

At least that plot had the hilarious scene of Alita literally offering him heart and him freaking out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Schwarzwald posted:

My original thought was that they chose his actor specifically to play off his complexion against Alita's in order to mend uncanny valley a bit and make you forget her skin was digital. If you look at her in some of the scenes she has what you might expect as a sort of hyper detailed human I dunno 'roughness'? but almost too rough, whereas Hugo's actor has a total babyface complexion that almost seems artificial by comparison. I've always felt since even my first viewing that the visual juxtaposition served a practical psychological purpose to some degree wrt a viewer's ability to accept Alita as both tangible and sympathetic rather than fake, where constructing that requires being conscious of how she appears in fully lit scenes with other actors. I dunno. I've watched the movie dozens of times and it's always in the back of my mind, and with that in mind Hugo's kind of half-baked yeah but not in a way that I find offensive, a decent example of dreamboat first love or whatever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shageletic posted:

At least that plot had the hilarious scene of Alita literally offering him heart and him freaking out

That was pretty intense

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shageletic posted:

My favorite scene in the film (clearly). [edit] It's also in the manga.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 23, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awwwww yeah, hit me with that new NWR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KBA_8tyI7U

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

Legit one of the best parts of Alita is how everyone fucks up by mistaking the murder robot from space as a harmless little girl. Hugo thinks he's indulging some kid's puppy love only to learn that Alita is deadly serious about her crush.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My original thought was that they chose his actor specifically to play off his complexion against Alita's in order to mend uncanny valley a bit and make you forget her skin was digital. If you look at her in some of the scenes she has what you might expect as a sort of hyper detailed human I dunno 'roughness'? but almost too rough, whereas Hugo's actor has a total babyface complexion that almost seems artificial by comparison. I've always felt since even my first viewing that the visual juxtaposition served a practical psychological purpose to some degree wrt a viewer's ability to accept Alita as both tangible and sympathetic rather than fake, where constructing that requires being conscious of how she appears in fully lit scenes with other actors. I dunno. I've watched the movie dozens of times and it's always in the back of my mind, and with that in mind Hugo's kind of half-baked yeah but not in a way that I find offensive, a decent example of dreamboat first love or whatever.

I get that but in this case I think going about it in the other direction would have been stronger. I'd want Hugo to be grimy to highlight Alita's artificialness.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad Hugo's dead

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the romance was the worst part of the manga as well

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I get that but in this case I think going about it in the other direction would have been stronger. I'd want Hugo to be grimy to highlight Alita's artificialness.

It's an interesting thought experiment, yeah, how much will an audience accept a character as human if they don't present that way, and one of the main arcs of the story. They do already lean hard into her 'doll-like' body that technically isn't hers, though they don't have the screentime to afford the early parts of her arc in Gunnm where she's basically a severed head being carted around wrapped up like a baby on Ido's back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched the first 30 minutes of the movie and it was very bad. I want to give it another shot because I'm a massive sucker for cyberpunk, but knowing there's a 30 minute rollerball sequence in the third act that I'd have to sit through makes it very difficult to prioritize. I know you all insist it's good but I watched a clip on YouTube and I just can't imagine how.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

but knowing there's a 30 minute rollerball sequence in the third act

this is not accurate

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad Hugo's dead

As much as I love how Cameron translated the first 2 volumes of the OG manga to live action by weaving in some motorball stuff from volumes 3 and 4 for the movie, there's a deep-seated part of me that still wishes he completely held off on the motorball arc for a sequel like he had originally planned and just went in harder on the romance instead, lol.

In the manga, Alita dealing with the fallout of Hugo's death by running away, leaving Ido, and then a month later we see that she's competing in and dominating the motorball circuit was a really cool turn for the charater; I had always thought that was a perfect break point inbetween potential movies. That first motorball introduction where Ido eventually finds Alita when the announcer yells out her name still gives me goosebumps same as the day I first read those pages whenever I think about it, and that being the opening set piece for the sequel would've owned like crazy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 23, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More like poogo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone posted:

As much as I love how Cameron translated the first 2 volumes of the OG manga to live action by weaving in some motorball stuff from volumes 3 and 4 for the movie, there's a deep-seated part of me that still wishes he completely held off on the motorball arc for a sequel like he had originally planned and just went in harder on the romance instead, lol.

In the manga, Alita dealing with the fallout of Hugo's death by running away, leaving Ido, and then a month later we see that she's competing in and dominating the motorball circuit was a really cool turn for the charater; I had always thought that was a perfect break point inbetween potential movies. That first motorball introduction where Ido eventually finds Alita when the announcer yells out her name still gives me goosebumps same as the day I first read those pages whenever I think about it, and that being the opening set piece for the sequel would've owned like crazy.

:thunk:

i still think the cold opener for a sequel should be a 10 minute motorball scene in vr first person as viewed by a Ido through Jasugun's eyes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:thunk:

i still think the cold opener for a sequel should be a 10 minute motorball scene in vr first person as viewed by a Ido through Jasugun's eyes

I did say that was a "deep-seated" take lol. I spent many years thinking about how live-action Battle Angel movies would play out before it became a reality. You know me, I am super satisfied with we got from RR and Cameron and love how motorball was integrated as a core narrative componenet for the movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

But if they’d saved rollerball for a sequel we’d have never seen live action rollerball at all?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

Played by noted Hispanic actress Jenette Goldstein.

It was the 1980s. Goldstein is part Brazilian though so maybe they thought that counts back then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

But if they’d saved rollerball for a sequel we’d have never seen live action rollerball at all?

Yes, this is why I said just a post ago how I ended up loving the way Cameron weaved in motorball elements into what was essentially an adaptation of the first two manga volumes, lol. I shared similar sentiments in the movie thread for Alita during the film's theatrical run; despite hoping Cameron saved the motorball stuff for a sequel, I was glad he didn't because I got to see live-action motorball in the event another Alita movie or series doesn't get made.

I just always -- for years after news broke that James motherfucking Cameron would be directing/writing a Battle Angel movie -- had an idea of how motorball could be introduced in a sequel.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I didnt see this posted yet, Willem Dafoe's new film looks nuts: https://youtu.be/KtG6Dldj9J0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looks cool but I do think the number of bottle episode movies coming out that were clearly filmed in the pandemic are a little tiresome.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Venuz Patrol posted:

im loving the ps3 tech demo aesthetic theyve got going on. the light bounces off the water it's so real looking!

uh lol

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Full trailer for White Noise - looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVqGP-ScDTU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every Noah Baumbach film should be called White Noise. :smug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Didn’t I already see a movie called White Noise?

edit: That’s right, that lovely ghost movie with Michael Keaton. Where the ghosts live in VHS tapes, or something? (It’s been over 15 years since I’ve seen it, I’m probably getting the plot somewhat wrong.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if they’re keeping the hitler studies part. I don’t think that plays so well once you’re outside the end of history.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I AM GRANDO posted:

I wonder if they’re keeping the hitler studies part. I don’t think that plays so well once you’re outside the end of history.

They are, it was in a previous trailer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bows1 posted:

Full trailer for White Noise - looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVqGP-ScDTU

oof

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i love adam driver in the stuff ive seen but its weird to have him do steve coogan in a movie without the movie being about that. i would love them to play father and son or something like that, but this is derivative

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The trailer’s definitely trying to make a pretty depressing story about malaise and dread under Reagan into something much zanier than it can possibly be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

White Noise has been considered unadaptable for years and that doesn't make a great case for that being wrong.