Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

War Devil might be weak as poo poo now but she's still got her ultimate power: the beguiling "necessary evil" speech

“Your necessary evil is just an excuse to justify your own crimes. Those excuses are unnecessary to society. The truly necessary evils are always collared and controlled by the state.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The idea of turning these chunks of Part 2 into a Shinkai Makoto parody popped into my head and now I can't stop imagining it. You wouldn't even need to change that much. Just make the background art more picturesque and colorful.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flair posted:

I am assume the club president is the second "chainsaw man." It would make sense for him to kill Yuko. Also, I am surprise at this point that Denji does not have any trust issues when it comes to romantic relationships.

I'm sure Denji does have some pretty intense trust issues, but he also has massive amounts of "desperation" which overpowers those issues.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
man.. did she just snuff out another chicken?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that panel’s calling back to asa’s recurring dream that she describes in chapter 110. stepping on a chicken symbolizes doing something she feels guilt for, but is necessary if she wants to move forward. in this chapter’s panel the step looks deliberate, like her resolving to create a weapon borne from the guilt of killing someone between cat and criminal. she has chicken-related nightmares because she squished bucky. read well.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

ATP_Power posted:

This might be a relevant historical fact to consider when reading Pt. 2:

Those chainsaw ripcord earrings also could be scales

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If that's Justice/Famine right there on the council then it could be as simple as the dude made a contract with her and thinks of chainsaw man as the ideal image of justice. I like the ripcords doubling as scales but also she might just be another fan of our boy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I just realized. This might be Denji's first bad date.

I mean, his romantic experiences have been frequently traumatizing in general, but his dates have overall been on the better end of things.

His first date with Makima was terrific, great experience for both of them.
First date with Reze at the school went great. Yes, they got stormed in and Reze had to kill a guy, but overall they both had fun.
Second date with Reze was great up until the kiss, and then it was... well, look. A lot of people died, Denji died a time or two, his hands got sliced off, there were rough patches, but in the end they went swimming together and she wanted to do it again after, so I'm listing that one as a win.

This, though? This has all the markers of just being conventionally bad even without Denji and Asa's whole apocalyptic side of things intruding.

Should be exciting to see.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Re-reading the manga to see where the anime is going next I forgot how fast the story ramps up. Within the next two episodes anime only people are going to lose their minds.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

For once a woman wants to kill him entirely because of who Denji is, not because he's Chainsaw Man. This will be a wonderful date for him IMO.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
To be fair, she wants to kill him so she can kill Chainsaw Man.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if the club president actually has a part of pochita in him. Maybe that part of him that got nearly launched into orbit (before it pulled out a part of itself and threw it back to earth) touched back down at some point.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I feel like if both of them could dial their respective everythings down just a couple notches they could potentially get along well, but well...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hamelekim posted:

Re-reading the manga to see where the anime is going next I forgot how fast the story ramps up. Within the next two episodes anime only people are going to lose their minds.

It's one of my favorite aspects of the series. It spends juuuuuust long enough to convince you it's going to be a generic shonen. We have the long-term monster-of-the-week premise in "we gotta find all the gun parts!" We get an example of cool monster puzzle fights with Eternity Devil. We even get a bunch of character hooks - "gee, I can't wait to see Kobeni become more confident!" "I bet we'll get a lot of funny scenes of Denji trying to hook Aki up with Himeno" "I can already picture the eventual scene of Arai pushing through a difficult fight through BURNING PASSION to overcome his lack of skill" poo poo, the startiong setup is near identical to the one from JJK - a light-haired teenage boy who's unusually good at fighting fuses with a devil to gain supernatural powers, joins a team of devil hunters to fight body parts of a super powerful devil, his teammates are a black-haired brooding boy who summons animals with hand gestures and a bratty girl who fights with a hammer, and their boss is a mysterious figure with weird eyes that everyone else talks about how powerful they are. At this point, I'm dead certain that most of the anime-only crowd are of the mindset that it's a standard shonen setup that just has some funny + creative writing. They've seen enough to imagine what the entire rest of the series could be like, or at least the rest of the season.

Then the train scene happens, and, well...:getin:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if the club president actually has a part of pochita in him. Maybe that part of him that got nearly launched into orbit (before it pulled out a part of itself and threw it back to earth) touched back down at some point.

Poochita got incredibly jealous of Makima's dogs so now he's going around and giving out parts to whoever so Denji will pay attention to him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if Denji wants pocket money so bad then he should just set up something with the dogs. 500 yen for pets, 1500 for cuddles. he’d need a tote bag to carry it all

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In watching the anime, I'm reminded again of something I caught when rereading the manga a few weeks back. Knowing Makima's feelings towards Chainsaw man makes a lot of her actions much funnier to me. Specifically in the most recent episode her wanting to know if Denji is going to kiss someone had another layer of comedy added in there.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hamelekim posted:

I just checked and based on the anime's pace I think the next episode will probably end after the snake girl revives katana after curse's attack. Probably hit credits after he attacks Aki, but it's variable, they could stretch things out, but I think everyone's definitely getting shot, so the reactions to that will be fun.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brightman posted:

I just checked and based on the anime's pace I think the next episode will probably end after the snake girl revives katana after curse's attack. Probably hit credits after he attacks Aki, but it's variable, they could stretch things out, but I think everyone's definitely getting shot, so the reactions to that will be fun.

From the anime thread:

Buffis posted:

I still feel like the pacing is real weird. The eternity devil spanning one full + two half episodes was odd.
We're 7 episodes deep into a 12 episode season and things have been surprisingly slow.
Animation is real good but I dunno, was expecting more action from a show called Chainsaw Man I guess?

Also regarding Himeno. It's not just a late 20's or whatever woman carrying home a 16 year old. It's her throwing up in his mouth, causing him to throw up enough to pass out and then using that as an opportunity to carry him home and wanting to have sex. That's uh... sure a thing.

Weird show

lmao next week is gunna be great

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

My wild theory is that like, Pochita was what remained of the chainsaw devil after escaping and eating a ton of devils and getting hosed up in a big war right? So I guess maybe we're going to find out what happened to the rest of his body or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saw it pointed out somewhere that Chainsaw 2.0's arms don't heal right away when his saws retract

if this latest bullseye girl is in fact the Justice Devil then i think she warps her contractors' bodies based on their ideal form of punisher. yuko got clairvoyance because of her inability to understand others, this latest schmuck is clearly a Chainsaw fanboy

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Nuebot posted:

My wild theory is that like, Pochita was what remained of the chainsaw devil after escaping and eating a ton of devils and getting hosed up in a big war right? So I guess maybe we're going to find out what happened to the rest of his body or whatever.

This feels like a great call to me. There is a ton of stuff about people ingesting pieces of devils bodies to get fractions of their power (both gun and darkness get used this way) and I bet this how it gets brought back.

Also the Octopus devil kid is around a LOT more then I thought he was. I just did not register him as character the first time through at all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gruckles posted:

For once a woman wants to kill him entirely because of who Denji is, not because he's Chainsaw Man. This will be a wonderful date for him IMO.

This is actually a really interesting take on the situation, Asa wants to kill Denji because he's Denji that's..... something I guess? I mean overall she's killing him to kill chainsaw man, but this is the first time Denji is dating a girl who thinks he's worthy of death specifically because of who he is as a person.

....man, Denji leads such a hosed up life.

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Also the Octopus devil kid is around a LOT more then I thought he was. I just did not register him as character the first time through at all.

Yoshida making it out of part 1 alive was a huge surprise. He totally seemed like a red shirt introduced to add to the body count, but nope he made it out alive and unmutilated and just went on back to high school. He basically won the Chainsaw Man side character lottery.

His hubris in coming back for part 2 will be his undoing though, no way he stays alive till the end a second time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
mostly because that role is hand crafted for our Kobeni. survivor of all things horrific

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The question is if Madoka's still kicking. Dude walked first and hardest, but hasn't been seen since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The question is if Madoka's still kicking. Dude walked first and hardest, but hasn't been seen since.

Whenever I think about "is X alive" I always get faintly tempted to try to look through the giant horrific list of victims of the Gun Devil.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

chiasaur11 posted:

I forgot about that guy but yeah dude is

a) badass or lucky enough to survive the assassinations

b) smart (?) enough to go "wait I signed up for horrific death by devil, NOT getting shot by guns wielded by regular humans, peace"

c) directly calls out Makima to her face. Honestly I feel like she'd respect that and not retaliate beyond not giving him an answer

On the one hand it'd be cool to see him again, on the other that'd only invite misery. He got out, let him stay out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

I forgot about that guy but yeah dude is

a) badass or lucky enough to survive the assassinations

b) smart (?) enough to go "wait I signed up for horrific death by devil, NOT getting shot by guns wielded by regular humans, peace"

c) directly calls out Makima to her face. Honestly I feel like she'd respect that and not retaliate beyond not giving him an answer

On the one hand it'd be cool to see him again, on the other that'd only invite misery. He got out, let him stay out.

Given that he was one of the most veteran agents at the drinking party (well, his partner said no-one from when she joined was left, and he was very, very detached, so that suggests he had experience), and that he was covered in blood, I'm leaning towards badass.

Makima also recognized him and specifically mentioned that she was glad he was alive. It seems like he was someone she was fond of. (She remembered his scent, after all). Which could go either way, if I'm honest. On the one end, Madoka is someone she liked, so maybe she'd let him go out of respect, like she did with Kishibe. But at the same time, she did seem to take it as a betrayal. Madoka was one of her people. They'd gone drinking together. They knew each other. And then... he quit.

We probably won't ever see his deal again, but considering everything else about Makima's place in the organization, her treatment of Madoka (and his response to her) feels interesting. He really does seem like someone she thought of as a friend.

(I now wonder if he owns a farm.)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

From the anime thread:

lmao next week is gunna be great

Next two will be pretty action packed I think. I’m positive the cold open will end with Makima getting ambushed.

The rest of the show might be pretty action packed. Probably 2 full eps of fighting katana man ending with the orbital bombardment (which will be fun to see a reaction too in the anime thread).

Oh man we’re so close to operation Super Smart

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I prefer the idea of famine over law/justice because it'd be more unusual I think. Law seems like it wouldn't be that far a throw from Makima. On the other hand if the other girl is Law AKA Justice then she's been pretty wild so far.

I initially liked the idea of the earrings being scaled after reading them as ripcords myself. However after looking at them again I don't think they can be anything but ripcords. They're far too long to be seen as scales imo. You'd expect the triangle to connect at the ear or only a little below, not dangle so much imo. Maybe there will be some comparison between the ripcord at that angle and a scales I suppose. Along with the president's ripcord though and her being part of the club I think ripcord is really the only answer. I am curious about the lump halfway down the cord though.

This is a neat idea assuming they're legit. I'm thinking on similar lines.

Hamelekim posted:

I suspect that if they are legit transforming that they ate some chainsaw devil flesh they got somehow.

I am hoping the date is what finally shows us Denji's home life. My gut feeling is he can't be transformed. However I don't expect it to be due to his Chainsaw Man-ness. Yoru specifically mentions "things I own". So I think she'll get Denji swooning but ask him something like "say you're mine" to confirm it. But he'll decline saying his responsibility is already to someone else. Something like that anyway.

I think it's also possible he does get transformed and we get this

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yoru (not Asa) is going to fall in love with Denji

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Dude was a weirdo. Ordering 3 parfaits and 3 sushi platters.

By CSM rules he's definitely alive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've started rereading the manga from the start again. I didn't recall Arai's moment with Denji in the bathroom at all but it's there in the manga. Really sweet moment with him that I appreciate even more now.

I think the anime is actually at it's strongest in the slow moments like Aki's very aesthetic instagram morning routine, Himeno asking him to join the private sector, or any of the scenes where Denji reflects on Pochita or his own happiness.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

So can someone check for me, cause I'm a lazy bastard, if she always has her head tilted to a side.

Like for example an unbalanced scale?

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Fujimoto did draw a illustration of Asa holding a Chainsaw to promote the manga, it would be pretty funny if Denji got transformed into a weapon, but didn't die, basically becoming a Soul Eater weapon for Asa.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

So can someone check for me, cause I'm a lazy bastard, if she always has her head tilted to a side.

Like for example an unbalanced scale?

i think you're right and that's a really cool detail if it pans out

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Scallop Eyes posted:

Fujimoto did draw a illustration of Asa holding a Chainsaw to promote the manga, it would be pretty funny if Denji got transformed into a weapon, but didn't die, basically becoming a Soul Eater weapon for Asa.

“You did it Denji! You became a real Chainsaw Man!”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scallop Eyes posted:

The twist is that THAT chainsaw was made out of the fake Chainsaw Man.

Although I reread the chapter and that dude never actually says he's Chainsaw Man, he just implies it. He might actually just be Speedboat Motor Man or something, but that's kinda lame so he pretends to be merged with a different demon with a pull cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
The more I think about it the more Denji gets turned into a weapon, is totally fine and then Asa never does it again because she doesn't feel guilty enough for it to be a good weapon is.