Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Cranberries freeze really well, so you can stock up now and use them through the year. Cranberry sauce at home can be made with a lot less sugar, and is great (IMHO) on top of yogurt, with chicken, sweet potatoes, etc outside of the standard holiday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

w4ddl3d33 posted:

my wisdom tooth is still infected so, for my last trick, i've just thrown a block of years-old minute rice into a pot with about 6-7 parts cold water. is this going to be one of my finer congees? who knows. will i still devour it like a dog going at a jar of peanut butter, because i miss eating real food instant of living entirely off meal replacement shakes? totally. i'll keep you all posted

it sucks. this is the first bad congee ive ever had

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to be on the lookout for several of these for next week.

Scientastic posted:

I would suggest that apples are not the fruit you’re looking for, you want grapefruit, or maybe a blood orange.

Definitely meant to put tart in that second statement, not bitter. Grapefruit is not on my list of good foods.

Oranges and any other fruit with a lot of juice are right out. I drive a cargo van 8 hours a day and any food with a lot of liquid just won't work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walla posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to be on the lookout for several of these for next week.

Definitely meant to put tart in that second statement, not bitter. Grapefruit is not on my list of good foods.

Oranges and any other fruit with a lot of juice are right out. I drive a cargo van 8 hours a day and any food with a lot of liquid just won't work.

Have you considered watermelon?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Scientastic, lemon steamed pudding with lemon curd, thanks to your suggestion. Delicious! (And what I love, an excellent effort:reward ratio)

Like the e first one I made, this was super easy: chick ingredients into a mixer (or food processor) and mix, pour into bowl with the curd already added.

My wife made a sticky toffee pudding and, as is her wont, chose a much more complicated recipe, both for the sponge and the sauce, which had to be made. I think it was an American recipe, and consequently the sponge was far too sweet, especially given that it was then topped with a very sweet sticky toffee sauce. It was so sweet that it literally made me sweat, and I am not entirely sure that the effort time and mess were entirely warranted. I like easy!

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 18, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

americans just don't know how to make a good pud

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

americans just don't know how to make a good pud

We really find that when making desserts or cakes with US recipes that we need to cut the sugar by about 1/3 to 1/2. And believe me, I like sweet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone ever had a Lucy apple? Dappled on the outside like a strawberry and literally red/pink/white on the inside (not homogenously distributed colour). I figured I'd try something new because they were normally twice as expensive as anything else but were half off. They're very unique tasting, a little tart and fairly dry on the palate.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

therattle posted:

We really find that when making desserts or cakes with US recipes that we need to cut the sugar by about 1/3 to 1/2. And believe me, I like sweet.

As an American, yes. You can generally cut the fat by an equal amount as well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Enjoy your flavorless gruel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walla posted:

As an American, yes. You can generally cut the fat by an equal amount as well.

Now you’ve gone too far.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Speaking of weird science fruits, if you see carnival grapes they're not lying about them tasting uncannily like a natural sweet cotton candy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I used to smoke. And mount Atmos olives would taste very strangely like cotton candy and olives if I ate them within about 10 minutes of having a cigarette. It was a very strange and unpleasant combination

Hexaoct
May 1, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Speaking of weird science fruits, if you see carnival grapes they're not lying about them tasting uncannily like a natural sweet cotton candy.

They just tasted like extra sweet grapes to me, but I tried them right after a chemo session, so my tastebuds probably weren't up to par.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Walla posted:

Anyone know anything about apples?

I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I usually have 1 with my lunch every day for the fiber and vitamins and it keeps me away from candy. But I don't like Red Delicious or Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp are starting to be too sweet. I want something tart but not bitter, preferably something I can find at most American supermarkets.

I've tried Pink Lady and Fuji, and they're ok. I really want something as tart as a cranberry but I'm not sure if that exists, and I'm on the wrong coast for fresh cranberries to be common.

If you were in Britain I'd suggest looking for cooking apples; they're 'cooking' precisely because they're too tart for most people to enjoy just eating, but I enjoy them. Google suggests the actual variety most commonly grown is 'Bramley's Seedling' but I wouldn't begin to know where to find them in the US.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

therattle posted:

My wife made a sticky toffee pudding and, as is her wont, chose a much more complicated recipe, both for the sponge and the sauce, which had to be made. I think it was an American recipe, and consequently the sponge was far too sweet

It's sticky toffee pudding? I'd still blame the British. My experience of British bakeries / baked goods has generally been completely tasteless other than the three inches of sugar. Banana bread's almost unfindable and when it appears, it's outright crunchy from how much sugar they've added. Whereas a British friend's reaction to American baking was "Why do you put cinnamon in everything?" (And my reaction to Finnish baking is "Why do you put cardamom in everything?")

(I mean obviously it all depends on where you go and/or whose recipes you're using, but who needs to be fair?)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

gegi posted:

It's sticky toffee pudding? I'd still blame the British. My experience of British bakeries / baked goods has generally been completely tasteless other than the three inches of sugar. Banana bread's almost unfindable and when it appears, it's outright crunchy from how much sugar they've added. Whereas a British friend's reaction to American baking was "Why do you put cinnamon in everything?" (And my reaction to Finnish baking is "Why do you put cardamom in everything?")

(I mean obviously it all depends on where you go and/or whose recipes you're using, but who needs to be fair?)

A good sticky toffee sponge isn’t that sweet and is often made with wholemeal flour to add some contrast to the sweet sauce. Of course it’s sweet but not literally sweatily sweet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So i bought a package of the Filipino style marinated and butterflied milkfish (bangus) from the local Asian mart, dusted it, and shallow fried it until it looked like the recipes online.

The flesh was drier than I prefer, but it was pretty neat being able to eat the entire head since it had been fried crispy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes
May 31, 2006

Perfect for COVID too

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mister Facetious posted:

So i bought a package of the Filipino style marinated and butterflied milkfish (bangus) from the local Asian mart, dusted it, and shallow fried it until it looked like the recipes online.

The flesh was drier than I prefer, but it was pretty neat being able to eat the entire head since it had been fried crispy.

I made broiled milkfish once and it was delicious, but also a pain in the rear end to eat

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tried to make adobo for the first time. I used chicken thighs, and think I would again, but next time I'll take (at least some of) the skin off. It's not the most pleasing texture and I think it rendering out made there be too much liquid. Or at least cook it uncovered for half the time or more. I also might make it a bit sweeter.

But overall I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Nice rich, satisfying recipe that's incredibly easy to throw together.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My wife and I just watched British Bakeoff Halloween episode and the act of hearing two old britsh people mis-pronounce s'mores a bunch, while saying things like "this one is too messy" or "the marshmallow on this one is all goey and bad" may have given my wife a stroke. I've never seen her flip off a TV as much as that 15 minutes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7168376223691787521

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Anno posted:

Tried to make adobo for the first time. I used chicken thighs, and think I would again, but next time I'll take (at least some of) the skin off. It's not the most pleasing texture and I think it rendering out made there be too much liquid. Or at least cook it uncovered for half the time or more. I also might make it a bit sweeter.

But overall I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Nice rich, satisfying recipe that's incredibly easy to throw together.

Is it traditional to leave the skin on? I've made it a few times and always taken it off and made chicken crisps or somesuch. Agreed though, simple and delicious

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I always leave the skin on, but I really like the texture and flavor of chicken skin that's been braised like that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

tarbrush posted:

Is it traditional to leave the skin on? I've made it a few times and always taken it off and made chicken crisps or somesuch. Agreed though, simple and delicious

I dunno! I looked at a few recipes and they all did, so I did too. I think if I had made more of a point of searing it crisp before cooking it might’ve worked better, but instead it was just kinda soft and unappealing. And I don’t think the dish needs the extra richness at all.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CainFortea posted:

My wife and I just watched British Bakeoff Halloween episode and the act of hearing two old britsh people mis-pronounce s'mores a bunch, while saying things like "this one is too messy" or "the marshmallow on this one is all goey and bad" may have given my wife a stroke. I've never seen her flip off a TV as much as that 15 minutes.

Have you seen the Mexican episode though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Have you seen the Mexican episode though.

Yes, it was also very bad. "This taco is too spicy"

Or their request to have like 12 layer tres leches cakes. And then naturally complained that the ones that were still standing were "too dry"

Anno
May 10, 2017

Most of the season was pretty crap imo. Even the finale was like “do this ridiculous thing in half the time you’d need” and then everything looked relatively unappealing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anno posted:

Most of the season was pretty crap imo. Even the finale was like “do this ridiculous thing in half the time you’d need” and then everything looked relatively unappealing.

One lady used a potato peeler on an avocado.

But yea, this season so far hasn't been that good. These are just the two worst examples so far.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The Monday after the Mexico week episode I was on a vendor call at work and couldn’t help but ask our account representative (who was born near London and now lives in the states) what the deal was with Mexican food in the UK and he immediately knew what I was talking about and sounded a touch embarrassed.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 24, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
According to my expat friend in London that was pretty representative of how they view Mexican food in London. They use Doritos for nachos for Christ’s sake

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

According to my expat friend in London that was pretty representative of how they view Mexican food in London. They use Doritos for nachos for Christ’s sake

"This TAYKO has too much filling" - An insane british food person

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
they put refried beans on the loving tacos dude

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

prayer group posted:

they put refried beans on the loving tacos dude

Okay, that does it. I really need to watch this season now. Where is it available?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

As I mentioned awhile ago, the only instructions I was given for Thanksgiving from the inlaws were "here's 2.5 lbs of bacon make something with it". I'd planned to make little mini bacon cups and fill them with a sweet potato casserole for one dish, but attempts 1 and 2 failed (in the muffin tin, draped over the cups of the upsidedown muffin tin). We're currently trying balls of foil with the bacon draped over and around*. The failures have found new life as chipotle candied bacon, so it hasn't been too bad, aside from the fact that I think I'm never going to get the bacon grease smell out of the kitchen.

edit: The best most racist treatment of Mexican cuisine will always be the Japanese Iron Chef episode where they had a Mexican chef vs the Italian iron chef because "they're both Latin cuisine". Even 90s Japan somehow managed to be less racist than GBB

*This works, but draping another piece of foil smoothly over the ball makes removal 100x easier.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 24, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mexican food in most of the rest of the world is bad because there hasn't been much Mexican migration to most of the world, so we only get the big US food industry brands of Mexican food exported to us. Here in Australia it's really hard to get the variety of dried and fresh chilies etc and I've never seen fresh tomatillos, mexican oregano or other ingredients like hominy whereas Old El Paso and Mission kits are everywhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, that does it. I really need to watch this season now. Where is it available?

Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Crossposting from the reddit relationships thread, I present to you, the universe's biggest weenie:

Funktastic posted:

AITA for saying my girlfriend thinks she knows better than culinary professionals and expressing my disapproval?
I (26M) live with my girlfriend (27F) of four years, and we try to split all grocery shopping and cooking duties equally. We both like cooking well enough and pay for subscriptions to several recipe websites (epicurious, nytimes) and consider it an investment because sometimes there's really creative stuff there. Especially since we've had to cut back on food spending recently and eating out often isn't viable, it's nice to have some decent options if we're feeling in the mood for something better than usual. (I make it sound like we're snobs but we eat box macaroni like once a week)

Because we work different hours, even though we're both WFH we almost never cook together, so I didn't find out until recently that she makes tweaks to basically every recipe she cooks. I had a suspicion for a while that she did this because I would use the same recipe to make something she did previously, and it would turn out noticeably different, but I brushed it off as her having more experience than me. But last week I had vet's day off on a day she always had off, and we decided to cook together because the chance to do it doesn't come up often. I like to have the recipe on my tablet, and while I was prepping stuff I kept noticing how she'd do things out of order or make substitutions for no reason and barely even glanced at the recipe.

It got to the point I was concerned she was going off the rails, so I would try to gently point out when she'd do things like put in red pepper when the recipe doesn't call for it or twice the salt. She dismissed it saying that we both prefer spicier food or that the recipe didn't call for enough salt to make it taste good because they were trying to make it look healthier for the nutrition section (???). It's not like I think her food tastes bad/too salty but i genuinely don't understand what the point of the recipe is or paying for the subs is if she's going to just make stuff up, and there's always a chance she's going to ruin it and waste food if she changes something. I got annoyed and said that the recipe was written with what it has for a reason, and she said she knows what we like (like I don't?), so I said she didn't know better than the professional chefs who make the recipes we use (& neither do I obviously)

She got really offended and said i always "did this" and when I asked what "this" was she said I also got mad at her once because she'd make all the bits left over after cooking into weird frankenstein meals. I barely remembered this until she brought up that time she made parm grilled cheese and I wouldn't even eat it (she mixed tomato paste, parm, & a bit of mayo to make a cheese filling because it was all we had.. yeah I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole even though she claimed it tasted good). She called me "stiff" and closed minded so I said i didn't get why she couldn't follow directions, even kids can follow a recipe, and it's been almost a week and we're both still sore about it.