Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

gywo was so loving good

its insane how we just immediately memory holed the anthrax mailings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/blogTO/status/1595422843223044097

quote:

The investigation stems from a report by European NGO Safeguard Defenders that alleges the Fuzhou Public Security Bureau (PSB) — based in Fuzhou, the capital of China's Fujian province — has established 50 police stations across five continents, including three in the GTA — more than any other metropolitan area listed.

One such location is reported to exist at Units 1 and 2 at 220 Royal Crest Court in Markham.

The group alleges that these stations are used by police to persuade Chinese nationals — especially those under investigation for criminal activity — to return to China through such methods as "denying the target's children in China the right to education, and other limitations on family members, punishing those without suspicion of any wrongdoing by guilt by association."

So loving weird

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there were a few articles about those in nyc too, saying it impinges on sovereignty etc. blah blah

china says they're not "police stations" and are in fact community run information centers for chinese citizens. idk how true that is and i haven't even seen one of them around, but i think they're probably not police stations in the literal sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bump_fn posted:

WE HAVE THESE POSTS. ARE YOU AFRAID???

maybe you did lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

bump_fn posted:

we’ve memory holed a lot of things

remember the beltway sniper? or the Mandalay Bay shooter?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
remember sailor

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that beltway sniper thing was nuts

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

bump_fn posted:

the whole thing was thoroughly weird and didn’t really amount to anything so compared to all the major events that did amount to important things…

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Beeftweeter posted:

remember sailor

i remember

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
remember the pizza delivery guy with the bomb strapped to his neck. poor dude got used by the people he was in cahoots with.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh how about that time they strapped c4 to a bomb disposal robot and blew that guy up

or the time they tried to hunt down a cop gone good and airholed a bunch of unrelated people in a pickup truck, then finally tracked down the one good cop and burned him alive as a Message to never ever step against the LAPD

i remember a lot of things i won't go on

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
and then it became a wacky comedy movie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the beltway sniper thing was nuts because the news channels would go to every county sheriffs office for a 5 minute press conference and then just keep doing hours of coverage because if they stopped talking about it people stopped watching even though there’re was nothing to report for days at a time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

they did eventually get some footage though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

President Beep posted:

lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

President Beep posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
beep, president. sounds like a typical bastard

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

counterpoint?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-stresses-work-with-overseas-partners-in-terror-fight/

please don't give me a tankie avatar for that but the nypd employs a lot of people

for the terror

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the beltway sniper inspired a particularly wild episode of CSI: Miami where they show an action shot of the crazed gunman peeing while prone on a roof somewhere, lying in wait for like eight hours. the climax of the episode has Horatio Caine out in the open while the sniper has him in his crosshairs, but there's a helicopter loving up the wind so he can't get a clean shot. then the swat team bust in and take him down or something. weird times

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

once of the dc sniper victims died less than 2 miles from my old house at a gas station we’ve used :(

i was in high school then, it was weird times literally running from my parents car to the bus/inside a building hoping to not get got

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Petanque posted:

the beltway sniper inspired a particularly wild episode of CSI: Miami where they show an action shot of the crazed gunman peeing while prone on a roof somewhere, lying in wait for like eight hours. the climax of the episode has Horatio Caine out in the open while the sniper has him in his crosshairs, but there's a helicopter loving up the wind so he can't get a clean shot. then the swat team bust in and take him down or something. weird times

to be fair that sounds like a cool scene

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

bad news broseph i,m actually real.

my worst nightmare has come true :negative:

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I feel like the was some drama online about Chinese police stationed abroad a year or two ago and then it turned out they were just bureaucrats technically part of a police department but stationed in embassies and consulates to like renew driver's licenses and poo poo

But it's not like any American news org issued a clarification after that was figured out

Edit: and yeah the NYPD has officers abroad very specifically as part of their intelligence division lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The NYPD has a bigger budget than most countries militaries

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
new york city's gdp is larger than most countries

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wow, even despite all that crime!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
nyc includes manhattan, the gdp is mostly crime

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its white collar crime though, thats the kind the government likes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PokeJoe posted:

The NYPD has a bigger budget than most countries militaries

but they give us law & order so who can say

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

counterpoint?

no

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Having agents stationed abroad working with local authorities there, with cooperation, knowledge and consent from the host country is something entirely different than having a bunch of foreign police officers in a nondescript building keeping tabs on your population without the host country knowing anything about it.

if you can't understand the difference between these two things maybe you do deserve a tankie avatar?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

spankmeister posted:

Having agents stationed abroad working with local authorities there, with cooperation, knowledge and consent from the host country is something entirely different than having a bunch of foreign police officers in a nondescript building keeping tabs on your population without the host country knowing anything about it.

if you can't understand the difference between these two things maybe you do deserve a tankie avatar?

fine gently caress it

when has the nypd asked for consent anyways?

oh yeah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

when has the nypd asked for consent anyways

probably when stationing their agents abroad. unlike china

I'm not defending nypd here (lol imagine) just pointing out the obvious fact that your comparison didn't make any sense and could even be called (poorly executed) whataboutism

so please don't use the many crimes of the corrupt nypd to justify the actions of the chinese government thanks

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

spankmeister posted:

I'm not defending nypd here (lol imagine) just pointing out the obvious fact that your comparison didn't make any sense and could even be called (poorly executed) whataboutism

so please don't use the many crimes of the corrupt nypd to justify the actions of the chinese government thanks

duly noted

i appreciate your thoughts here and won't push

i am a critic of the xi administration as well as the ones in the us but i'm just more knowledgeable on domestic issues

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
been upset about the treatment of the Uyghurs for going on 4 years now since learning about it

now i shall say something dumb about the united states to be fair and balanced

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

lol no

those nypd people aren't stationed anywhere in any official capacity (no official passports or special security clearance). they're basically tourists who cause international incidents when they show up at crime scenes that have nothing to do with them and demand to talk to the people in charge. then the consulate/ambassador starts getting calls about why some local-yokel new york cops are showing up and acting like they have some kind of authority

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I already have a tankie avatar, but thank you

And now I'm hankering for Hui food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bump_fn posted:

not a coincidence. it's best not to spend too much time thinking about that one.