Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes, theres gotta be some sort of major restriction. Also, until refrigeration was invented you couldnt reliably cart around as many fruits from all over the world as you pleased. Who knows if thats a recent vegapunk invention or not though

refrigeration exists in the world of one piece and seems moderately common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

there are fully sentient robot super soldiers that shoot lasers out of their mouths but nobody's figured out how to keep food cold yet

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JahRoo posted:

there are fully sentient robot super soldiers that shoot lasers out of their mouths but nobody's figured out how to keep food cold yet

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I love that Kumadori just eats all the food in the fridge like a stupid animal.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

If we ever get a more detailed explanation of the Florian Triangle shadows I'll be so disappointed.

Those shadows were Umibōzu

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JahRoo posted:

the fully sentient robot man in the strawhat crew is walking around with a fridge in his chest

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

To be fair we don't know that that's a fridge, maybe Franky is walking around guzzling warm cola - he's a known freak, I wouldn't put it past him.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No way Franky doesn't have some insane RGB-lit liquid cooling system for his body

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Franky will drink Hot Peppy and get a power up

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Franky will drink Hot Peppy and get a power up

Franky drinking the wrong beverages in Enies Lobby has got to be one of the top ten One Piece gags.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still want to know what happens when he is powered by non-cola sodas. We must to research on the effects of fruit sodas, root sodas, creme sodas, and Dr. Pepper style sodas.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What it Cola is the secret sauce to get the robot working and Vegapunk just hadn't tried it yet.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

Still want to know what happens when he is powered by non-cola sodas. We must to research on the effects of fruit sodas, root sodas, creme sodas, and Dr. Pepper style sodas.

It might be like parts of the Midwest where every soda is called a coke.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

Kuro is like exhibit A of "oda really did not expect the power creep to get as absurd as it did" because it's hard looking back to see how the dude could ever have been a big deal in One Piece world that arc tried to sell him as given what the actual power players are like in comparison.

The heroes spent half the conflict unable to get up a slightly slippery hill. Now they straight up fly

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Cloks posted:

Franky drinking the wrong beverages in Enies Lobby has got to be one of the top ten One Piece gags.

There are like 10 zombie/skeleton gags on thriller bark that disagree with you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tree Reformat posted:

Kuro is like exhibit A of "oda really did not expect the power creep to get as absurd as it did" because it's hard looking back to see how the dude could ever have been a big deal in One Piece world that arc tried to sell him as given what the actual power players are like in comparison.

Why?

He could move super fast and use like ten swords at once. His skill isn't impressive... compared to CP9, the world's greatest assassins. The same goes for the vast majority of the population of the planet. It's not a meaningful comparison.

The world of One Piece is huge, there's plenty of room for normal pirates and marines going about their business out in the Blues. The Grand Line is a whole different world, and the New World is another level up on top of that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Terror Sweat posted:

The heroes spent half the conflict unable to get up a slightly slippery hill. Now they straight up fly

Zoro literally did a Smash Bros Side-B recovery to get back on the platform during his fight with King lol one piece power scaling rules

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

No way Franky doesn't have some insane RGB-lit liquid cooling system for his body

He specifically talks about how it’s a refrigerator and Sanji says it would be the best on a hot day. Verdict: those are definitely ice cold colas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shame on you for thinking franky doesn't take cola seriously.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Franky is still powered by cola, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Does One Piece cola still have cocaine

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Look at Franky, of course it does.

My dude can build a bridge in less than 10 seconds he's definitely on something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

My dude can build a bridge in less than 10 seconds he's definitely on something.

well yeah, as we've already established. cola.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Well remember that was the “coca” in Coca-Cola. Frankly just buys like the generic supermarket brand cola.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Film Red established that wakeshrooms are the One Piece universe's answer to cocaine

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

i wonder if franky could finally finish the bridge at tequila wolf

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Honestly I'm sad we've never seen the gag where putting different drinks in Franky's fridge completely changes his personality since that first time

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They put Faygo into Franky and he turns into a juggalo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Put Pepsi in him and

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Begemot posted:

Why?

He could move super fast and use like ten swords at once. His skill isn't impressive... compared to CP9, the world's greatest assassins. The same goes for the vast majority of the population of the planet. It's not a meaningful comparison.

The world of One Piece is huge, there's plenty of room for normal pirates and marines going about their business out in the Blues. The Grand Line is a whole different world, and the New World is another level up on top of that.

Kuro was also nowhere near his best, he had given up on his original pirate dreams which is a big theme in Oda's writing once you give up on your dreams and settle for something else it takes it out of you.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Kuro was really strong for East Blue and could probably make a name for himself in the earlier islands of the Grand Island.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like Luffy stomped Alvida and Buggy easily but they were pretty high hitters in East Blue, way above average (3 million is the average, and Alvida was 5 million and Buggy was 15 million).

Honestly makes me wonder how many fuckin' small-time pirates are running around in East Blue to cause the average to sink that low. Maybe there's like, dozens of dudes with a bounty of 1 Belli or something.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like Luffy stomped Alvida and Buggy easily but they were pretty high hitters in East Blue, way above average (3 million is the average, and Alvida was 5 million and Buggy was 15 million).

Honestly makes me wonder how many fuckin' small-time pirates are running around in East Blue to cause the average to sink that low. Maybe there's like, dozens of dudes with a bounty of 1 Belli or something.

Yeah luffy was grand line tier in east blue. His only struggles are being a dumbass

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I got the tude now posted:

Yeah luffy was grand line tier in east blue. His only struggles are being a dumbass

To be fair Arlong's probs Grand Line-tier too, given that he literally was part of a crew that was active in the New World + was hiding his true infamy and strength from the Navy via bribes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda funny, because all of that is absolutely true, but the entire dynamic of the Arlong fight is that he doesn’t really have the full context of Nami’s tragic backstory so he’s goofing around a lot more than he should…up until he gets launched into her old room and sees her bloodstained charts, at which point the fight is over. Luffy really overleveled himself level grinding for ten years.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like East Blue through Alsbasta is a really good barometer for how Oda viewed the entire concept of “power levels” and how he would probably have changed the story if he had known the full scope all along.

Luffy basically doesn’t meaningfully increase in strength at all until Enies Lobby, until then he is always a physical beast and his challenges are more about getting outwitted or having to fight a battle with unfamiliar rules with him using clever new tricks with his power to win rather than just “I am just stronger through more magical training, you need to level up through more willpower”

Not that I necessarily think the sheer scope of power would be reduced or haki would go away but it likely would’ve been introduced way sooner and the limited training stuff we saw would’ve happened more organically, I even think logias might have been reworked with that power scope in mind

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Croc was the first real threat Luffy faced. Well, actually, Smoker was, but Smoker's not like, an enemy. And even after Croc, Luffy didn't really feel the need to 'level up' with Gear 2 until after meeting Aokiji (in-between was pre-timeskip Bellamy, who was a chump, Enel, who Luffy had an ability advantage against, and Foxy, who's, uh, Foxy).

Kreig wasn't really a threat to Luffy personally until he managed to sink Luffy in the water as a final gently caress you.

With Arlong, Luffy was mostly just out of commission cause he stupidly anchored himself into the concrete and couldn't fight until people freed him (though Arlong still gave him a better fight than anyone untril Crocodile).

Even with Baroque Works, Mr. 5 and Ms. Valentine's Day were literal afterthoughts in Whiskey Peak; Zoro and Luffy just smacked them aside while fighting over a misunderstanding.

Mr. 3 and Ms. Golden Week were really close to getting the crew killed, but that's mostly because of really good scheming and powers that are incompatible with Luffy (he's dumb so Ms. Golden Week's hypnosis painting skills were too effective on him).

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like East Blue through Alsbasta is a really good barometer for how Oda viewed the entire concept of “power levels” and how he would probably have changed the story if he had known the full scope all along.

Luffy basically doesn’t meaningfully increase in strength at all until Enies Lobby, until then he is always a physical beast and his challenges are more about getting outwitted or having to fight a battle with unfamiliar rules with him using clever new tricks with his power to win rather than just “I am just stronger through more magical training, you need to level up through more willpower”

Not that I necessarily think the sheer scope of power would be reduced or haki would go away but it likely would’ve been introduced way sooner and the limited training stuff we saw would’ve happened more organically, I even think logias might have been reworked with that power scope in mind

I feel like it works out well enough. There’s some things, esp luffy beating crocodile that i don’t think add up for the reasons stated but it’s a story, there’s always going to be weak parts

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

east blue is a backwater place so its prolly full of pirates that just want to lay low and part of that is not doing tons of crimes to get a high bounty. like, arlong definitely just didnt want to rock the boat. he jsut wanted to be an rear end in a top hat and chill. great place to do that if youre moderately strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I got the tude now posted:

I feel like it works out well enough. There’s some things, esp luffy beating crocodile that i don’t think add up for the reasons stated but it’s a story, there’s always going to be weak parts

Oh I definitely think it works out well enough and Oda is a genius at adaptation. I just think the original intention with Luffy starting out as basically the strongest person in East Blue and never needing to get physically stronger even up to where the original “end boss” would have been illustrates a very specific philosophy. Compare to like Naruto or MHA where there’s very obviously a “train to level up” mentality, if OP had been condensed and ended with Alabasta the obvious struggles/themes would be about Luffy 1) supplementing his own weaknesses with his crew and 2) being super inventive with his existing strength and powers. Like that clearly is still what’s happening with a theme added a few hundred chapters in of 3) learning and mastering haki to push those first two aspects to a new level.