Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Andor really was super good.

Rewatched a few bits of Rogue One and it was as garbage as I remembered, for a second I thought I was losing my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rogue One is good actually.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The last third of rogue one is great, the rest is bad.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I’m okay with all of the “Confess, Fletch was ok” chat but better than the original is a bridge too far

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chromatics posted:

Andor really was super good.

Rewatched a few bits of Rogue One and it was as garbage as I remembered, for a second I thought I was losing my mind

I really don't like Rogue One either and it's primarily because of Jyn. I just don't think she earns her place as this inspirational figure for the rebellion. I guess I'm sexist but she's way too Mary Sue.

Andor has no heroes, everyone does lovely things and it does a great job showing how inefficient the Empire is along with showing how the seeds are planted for the rise of the rebellion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't understand thinking Rogue One sucked (a very bad opinion) and also thinking Andor is good (a correct opinion)....

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand thinking Rogue One sucked (a very bad opinion) and also thinking Andor is good (a correct opinion)....

I don't think it sucked, it was better than the sequel trilogy, but I don't think it's amazing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Rouge One definitely sucks. That's been a major disincentive to watching Andor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mcmagic posted:

I do not like Rogue One at all but love Andor. Basically, everything Rogue One did wrong Andor got right.

From what I understand Gilroy came in to do re-writes on Rogue One and after watching Andor you can kinda see where he may have changed things. However I'm going to guess the story was such a hot mess there was no saving it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

rogue one earned a lot of goodwill by daring to be different very slightly. it has not held up at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess in a sense Andor is sort of similar to Rogue One so I can understand the idea of saying that if you like Andor you should like Rogue One, but Andor basically feels like what Rogue One should have been, so it conversely sort of makes Rogue One seem worse in comparison.

Honestly, while it seems excessively harsh to say this, in comparison Rogue One almost feels like something that you would expect to have been an unaired pilot for Andor.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 24, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Chiming in. Rogue One was fantastic, and did the rare thing of a prequel making the original movie better. I always assumed that the Rebel Alliance was well established and going strong. Rogue One gave a sense of urgency and desperation, showing that the Rebel Alliance was poorly funded and on shaky ground, ready to fracture and give up. Them succeeding in stealing the Death Star plans in Rogue One really gave new meaning to the title A New Hope, and the fact that they had literally just come from the battle of Scariff at the start of Episode IV is thrilling.

Andor had fantastic moment, the prison break episode was incredible. But it was incredibly slow, and given that it aired over the course of 3 months meant I didn't always recognize minor characters when they showed up again 8 episodes later. Maybe a binge will help.

Edit: I finished the final season of Dead to Me today. As bad as the rest of the season was, the series finale was wonderful, touching on themes of friendship and forgiveness. I almost cried.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 24, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nihonniboku posted:

Chiming in. Rogue One was fantastic, and did the rare thing of a prequel making the original movie better. I always assumed that the Rebel Alliance was well established and going strong. Rogue One gave a sense of urgency and desperation, showing that the Rebel Alliance was poorly funded and on shaky ground, ready to fracture and give up. Them succeeding in stealing the Death Star plans in Rogue One really gave new meaning to the title A New Hope, and the fact that they had literally just come from the battle of Scariff at the start of Episode IV is thrilling.

Andor had fantastic moment, the prison break episode was incredible. But it was incredibly slow, and given that it aired over the course of 3 months meant I didn't always recognize minor characters when they showed up again 8 episodes later. Maybe a binge will help.

I don't think a sequel or prequel can necessarily make a movie better or worse but if you want to go down that road, I'd say Rogue One made A New Hope worse. Making the flaw of the Death Star something intentional instead of a huge whoopsie by an arrogant Empire really undercuts a lot of A New Hope.

edit: And zombie Tarkin and Leia were loving awful and whoever OK'd those decisions should be ashamed of themselves.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 24, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I never had the idea that the Death Star’s weakness was even some major mistake- it’s an exhaust port, it’s a thing that vents exhaust, you kinda need those. It’s the kind of weakness any large machine would have, it doesn’t need more explanation than that.

Rogue One was an uneven film, albeit one carried by its final act which is a banger. Andor is more consistently good throughout, it never felt like it was dragging or that episodes were going too long (which is the usual problem with heavily serialized streaming shows.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

Edit: I finished the final season of Dead to Me today. As bad as the rest of the season was, the series finale was wonderful, touching on themes of friendship and forgiveness. I almost cried.

Thank you for this. I agree with both parts.

Still haven't finished Andor as it kind of dribbles out and I was too tired to give episode 12 any attention last night.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think I benefitted from mostly binging Andor, I was caught up before the finale but I was watching 2-3 episodes at a time and it flows pretty well that way. (I’ve heard people say it kinda flows in 3 episode arcs, that’s definitely how the prison stuff worked and it was probably the right length.)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My hot take is that Rogue One is good and Andor is great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think a sequel or prequel can necessarily make a movie better or worse but if you want to go down that road, I'd say Rogue One made A New Hope worse. Making the flaw of the Death Star something intentional instead of a huge whoopsie by an arrogant Empire really undercuts a lot of A New Hope.

edit: And zombie Tarkin and Leia were loving awful and whoever OK'd those decisions should be ashamed of themselves.

Agreed, Rogue One is this weird zombie where parts of it are a muddled prequel to ANH, parts are tie-ins to a prequel character I didn't know anything about (maybe Forest Whitaker had a real part in the first cut that was edited down to nothing, I dunno), parts are the worst cameos I've ever seen (CGI tarkin is the most egregious but remember when they run into the cantina guys lol), and it all stars a plucky group of rebels that have about four lines each and half a personality among them

All the good stuff (Vader going HAM like it's a fan movie, the Hammerhead ship maneuver, Ben Mendelsohn playing the most slimy bureaucrat rear end in a top hat of all time) basically exists in a vacuum

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Class Warcraft posted:

My hot take is that Rogue One is good and Andor is great.

:hmmyes:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
With Rouge One they did a rough edit of the movie out of other war films before they started shooting, like Lucas did with WWII airplane stock footage for the space battles in ANH but to a far greater extent, and it shows in the way that a lot of R1 feels like cover versions (fine at first, pretty great near the end) of other things - Oh! That shots from Battle of Algier's! This bit's from Guns of Naverone! ect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hey Netflix havers, there's finally another reason to go to the "games" tab on your phone device. the insanely, insanely good game from the Her Story/Telling Lies guy is free for you, it is called Immortality

broadly, it concerns you watching footage of three very different films in order to figure out wha happen to an actress

did i mention it's realy good?

if you liked his previous stuff, it's a no brainer, but even if you didn't, the quality on offer here is a massive step up for him. i honestly thought Telling Lies was pretty meh compared to Her Story. but this one, is, oh man

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

hey Netflix havers, there's finally another reason to go to the "games" tab on your phone device. the insanely, insanely good game from the Her Story/Telling Lies guy is free for you, it is called Immortality

broadly, it concerns you watching footage of three very different films in order to figure out wha happen to an actress

did i mention it's realy good?

if you liked his previous stuff, it's a no brainer, but even if you didn't, the quality on offer here is a massive step up for him. i honestly thought Telling Lies was pretty meh compared to Her Story. but this one, is, oh man

I don't want to spoil a thing about the game but everyone who sticks with it for a little bit of time has that moment where the game clicks (to be as vague as possible). That moment is one of the all time great moments in gaming.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Watching Slumberland and Jason Momoa's character is north of 50% Beetlejuice.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently Apple TV+ includes a few non-original movies now? Not sure if it’s just a holiday thing, but they have a selection of ~20 films. Nothing really exciting, but I was kind of surprised to see it since their launch strategy was 100% original content.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

david_a posted:

Apparently Apple TV+ includes a few non-original movies now? Not sure if it’s just a holiday thing, but they have a selection of ~20 films. Nothing really exciting, but I was kind of surprised to see it since their launch strategy was 100% original content.

They occasionally have themed movies based on whatever new stuff they're putting out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rogue One - the third act specifically - fucks and is some of the best star wars available. Gilroy added the initial cass scene where he smokes his informant and things like the Jyn Erso speech about the "keep using our chances till we succeed or the chances are spent" and streamlined the third act (originally they had to move from 1 building to another with the plans, now they climb).

Even if the characterization overall is pretty poor due to having to edit the movie flow so much and having limited reshoots, I think rogue one is great overall. Gareth Edwards sense of scale comes through great in the film, and all the shots of the death star and things like testing the weapon on Jedha are amazing.

Making the rebellion way more grungier and alive than in ANH adds a ton more imagination to the world, like all the people listening at their little stations on Yavin for things like communications from operatives like Cass. Very cool.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Medullah posted:

I really don't like Rogue One either and it's primarily because of Jyn. I just don't think she earns her place as this inspirational figure for the rebellion. I guess I'm sexist but she's way too Mary Sue. .

If you think she's a Mary Sue, then yes, you probably correctly assessed yourself. She has plenty of flaws.

Andor was great and you should watch the series if you think you like Star Wars or not.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New mini docuseries on Netflix.

It’s terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzS8BQBcAu4

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gonz posted:

It’s terrific.

Yeah it was really great, and not overly long at 4 episodes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jerkface posted:

Making the rebellion way more grungier and alive than in ANH adds a ton more imagination to the world, like all the people listening at their little stations on Yavin for things like communications from operatives like Cass. Very cool.

Right. Rogue One is the first time the rebellion looks like a rebellion. Rather than a group of space dilettantes having a fight with their HOA.

And this doesn't mean the tone of original Star Wars is wrong or bad. But it's very broad, like a kids film or old time drama. Rebellion good, Empire bad, let's get on with the plot. Rogue One is like another take on that world - what might it actually be like? Away from the heroes and generals and politicians, what's it like on the ground? When Alderaan is destroyed in ANH, it doesn't really land that millions of people died, they're more worried about the impact on the heroes. In Rogue One, you see the Rebellion has a cost.

There's things in RO that could be better. It feels a bit stuffed with quirky characters for no other reason than to have quirky characters. I didn't find Jyn a very compelling protagonist, she largely just plays the role she has to. But overall, I liked it a lot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just watched Athena and lol it's copaganda which isn't what I was expecting.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

They occasionally have themed movies based on whatever new stuff they're putting out.

Yeah if you click on the “Included with Apple TV+” tile, it says what the tie-in for each one is.

Currently it is:
1) Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds comedies because they just put out a Christmas movie.
2) “International Thrillers” like Argo and Syrians to go with Echo 3, whatever that is.
3) “Workplace Comedy Essentials” like Office Space to go with Mythic Quest S3.
4) Jennifer Lawrence movies cause they just had an original movie starring her.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna watch all of those lol

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mcmagic posted:

Just watched Athena and lol it's copaganda which isn't what I was expecting.
Yeah it's definitely a very weird movie when it comes to its message. It's 50% gently caress the police and 50% "the police are trying very hard to do the right thing, please don't be mean to them." Pick a lane!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Gonz posted:

It’s terrific.

Love to watch a 5 minute YouTube video stretched out to almost three hours.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

Love to watch a 5 minute YouTube video stretched out to almost three hours.

good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9OhTB5eBqQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hah wow I was JUST browsing her channel and started watching this, saw the time and said "NOPE"

She has a video "What if Peter wasn't Spider-Man" that I laugh at every single time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Hah wow I was JUST browsing her channel and started watching this, saw the time and said "NOPE"

It's actually an incredibly interesting video

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah it's definitely a very weird movie when it comes to its message. It's 50% gently caress the police and 50% "the police are trying very hard to do the right thing, please don't be mean to them." Pick a lane!

It's like 10%/90% The police are good and if they do something that you think looks racist you are wrong. The cops don't really do anything wrong in the movie lol

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

precision posted:

It's actually an incredibly interesting video

Oh don't misinterpret, I'm sure it's interesting but I wasn't prepared to dedicate 3 hours of my life to it.