Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh I definitely think it works out well enough and Oda is a genius at adaptation. I just think the original intention with Luffy starting out as basically the strongest person in East Blue and never needing to get physically stronger even up to where the original “end boss” would have been illustrates a very specific philosophy. Compare to like Naruto or MHA where there’s very obviously a “train to level up” mentality, if OP had been condensed and ended with Alabasta the obvious struggles/themes would be about Luffy 1) supplementing his own weaknesses with his crew and 2) being super inventive with his existing strength and powers. Like that clearly is still what’s happening with a theme added a few hundred chapters in of 3) learning and mastering haki to push those first two aspects to a new level.

Hell ywahS happy thanksgiving bro :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Luffy beating Croc makes sense

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think an interesting aspect of early One Piece is that almost all of Luffy's opponents are in varying stages of hasbeens. The bosses he fights before Water 7 who haven't given up on their dreams had them crushed. Which in turn lends itself to Luffy being able to fight people like Crocodile and Arlong who have the ability and potential to roam the New World at will. They're all rusty at fighting someone who can push them, and have gotten soft compared to their peak. It wouldn't make much of a difference for everyone else, but it's key to making it so Arlong and Croc don't actually gently caress up power levels or scales.

Alvida, Morgan, and Buggy sort of are exceptions, but 2 out of 3 of them become reoccurring characters that grow with the story. Morgan is an extra outlier because out of all the antagonists we've seen, he has the most pathetic dreams and he's achieved them. Dude always wanted to be lord of a Marine Base, and he's out there spending all day every day basking in the amazing glory of being Captain of a near pointless base in the weakest sea.

At the same time, it seems like the only Strawhat who spends any time training or getting stronger before Alabasta is Zoro. The one crew member to actually face the magnitude of obstacle blocking his dream. Everyone else has a rough patch here or there, but nothing that actually requires them to be better than they were to overcome.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think a part of that is (as noted by, uh, Ussop or Nami, can't remember, after Ace's death) that some crew members just sorta expected Luffy to be able to beat everything that came across their way, because he always pulled through in the end.

But after the events of Saboady + Ace's death, they realized that they also needed to level up themselves too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think a part of that is (as noted by, uh, Ussop or Nami, can't remember, after Ace's death) that some crew members just sorta expected Luffy to be able to beat everything that came across their way, because he always pulled through in the end.

But after the events of Saboady + Ace's death, they realized that they also needed to level up themselves too.

You can kinda tell around Alabasta where Luffy says Ace always beat Luffy in their sparring matches as a kid and everyone except Zoro goes “there’s someone stronger than Luffy!?” that the crew sans Zoro just assume Luffy can handle everything that comes their way, even as stuff like Kuzan curbstomping them or Luffy having to dope up to beat his enemies with the Gears.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gyges posted:

I think an interesting aspect of early One Piece is that almost all of Luffy's opponents are in varying stages of hasbeens. The bosses he fights before Water 7 who haven't given up on their dreams had them crushed. Which in turn lends itself to Luffy being able to fight people like Crocodile and Arlong who have the ability and potential to roam the New World at will. They're all rusty at fighting someone who can push them, and have gotten soft compared to their peak. It wouldn't make much of a difference for everyone else, but it's key to making it so Arlong and Croc don't actually gently caress up power levels or scales.

Alvida, Morgan, and Buggy sort of are exceptions, but 2 out of 3 of them become reoccurring characters that grow with the story. Morgan is an extra outlier because out of all the antagonists we've seen, he has the most pathetic dreams and he's achieved them. Dude always wanted to be lord of a Marine Base, and he's out there spending all day every day basking in the amazing glory of being Captain of a near pointless base in the weakest sea.

At the same time, it seems like the only Strawhat who spends any time training or getting stronger before Alabasta is Zoro. The one crew member to actually face the magnitude of obstacle blocking his dream. Everyone else has a rough patch here or there, but nothing that actually requires them to be better than they were to overcome.

Crocodile especially, when luffy punched down Crocodile, Croc was at his absolute low point, he found out his entire decade long scheme had been... absolutely pointless, there was no weapon for him to grab and take over the grand line with, this punk rear end kid figured out how to negate his logia powers, the civil war stuff is going to hell, and he keeps getting punched in the face, can't focus his willpower at all in that situation.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I got my biggest one piece wish this year, which was croc getting a proper loving bounty

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Luffy beating Croc makes sense

I think Croc actually being Luffy's mom makes sense

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still want someone to tell Crocodile that Pluton was in Wano actually

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I still want someone to tell Crocodile that Pluton was in Wano actually

Nico Robon does it, the ultimate troll job

EDIT: ⬇️ I think it said exactly that

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 25, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so what exactly did the alabasta poneglyph have to say about pluton, anyway? it wasn't the location, as was implied at the time.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so what exactly did the alabasta poneglyph have to say about pluton, anyway? it wasn't the location, as was implied at the time.

It actually did straight up say "Pluton is in Wano" but Robin withheld the location's name from the reader until the end of the wano arc.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It would be a bomb-rear end trope moment if near the Endgame oda sets up an old-skool Baroque Works team-up with the Sand Croc and Miss All Sunday, right after the part where Enel (begrudgingly) teams up with Luffy out of the PTSD from Skpypeia for Who Knows What :allears:

Furthermore in my OP fanfic I

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i still maintain one of the safest things robin could have done would have been to just tell croc. he'd leave alabasta and get himself killed by kaido without too much effort

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

tbp posted:

i still maintain one of the safest things robin could have done would have been to just tell croc. he'd leave alabasta and get himself killed by kaido without too much effort

No, he would've pout and curl up into a ball until Smoker found and arrested him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

But then Luffy wouldn't have made it out of Impel Down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gyges posted:

But then Luffy wouldn't have made it out of Impel Down.

Having a good laugh thinking about the events of Impel Down/Marineford all happening otherwise exactly the same, but instead of Croc going after Whitebeard and resisting Doflamingo's attempts to seduce him, it's Axe-Hand Morgan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By God, that's Kuro of the Thousand Plans' music!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

I doubt that. Crocodile is clever. I doubt he would have gotten into a direct fight and would have tried to sneak it out.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah Croc walking into wano and going "sup?" doesn't seem likely.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
What are the odds he goes to Wano now?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Delphisage posted:

What are the odds he goes to Wano now?

I don't think he has a reason to, he presumably still has no idea Pluton is there

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can't not imagine the Buggy guild going to Wano, raising hell, and then hijinks leads to Buggy wielding Pluto

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Right now I'm seeing Vivi's situation going one of 3 ways. Held captive/hiding where the Coby and Blackbeard situation goes down, secretly actually held by the WG/I'm, or chilling at Elbaf with Saul.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I don't think he has a reason to, he presumably still has no idea Pluton is there
Thank god the secret of the ancient weapons is still safe, and there's no creepy barrel of mud trying to figure out who to sell that information to.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly I think Croco-boy has given up on the Pluton scheme in favor of restarting his dream to be Pirate King.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

By the way, when was the last time we actually saw Smoker, anyway?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

By the way, when was the last time we actually saw Smoker, anyway?

Wasn't it during the Dressrosa arc where Fujitora is listening to Smoker rant about Alabasta being "saved" by the Navy and not having the rank at the time to tell what actually happened?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Smoker gonna be leading the rescue effort for Coby.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The grand line is so hosed once this dude comes back, haki be damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf0JB4pXd2c

Just a sea of bodies littering the ocean floor after every AoE attack. Oda was smart frisbee-ing him off to the moon like that, good lord :stonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

White Light posted:

The grand line is so hosed once this dude comes back, haki be damned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf0JB4pXd2c

Just a sea of bodies littering the ocean floor after every AoE attack. Oda was smart frisbee-ing him off to the moon like that, good lord :stonk:

He's actually not that impressive.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's actually not that impressive.

Yeah, he was impressive when he was introduced but they just beat an emperor that could do that and ride a Flaming sun and then combine them in a power rangers move.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He'd be able to get by as an Emperor's lieutenant, probably.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Runa posted:

Buggy's lieutenant, got it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Buggy's lieutenant, got it

Please don't belittle Mihawk rn he's been stressed lately

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Runa posted:

He appearntly would be officer rank. Around the level of the Tobbi Roppo.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

MonsterEnvy posted:

He appearntly would be officer rank. Around the level of the Tobbi Roppo.

gently caress yeah current Sanji'd body Enel.

That was originally a joke but then I realized that, I mean, yeah. He probably would.

New World, motherfuckers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sanji wouldn’t even be able to hit Enel, much less defeat him

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sanji wouldn’t even be able to hit Enel, much less defeat him

A Luffy who didn't even have Gear 2 yet managed to hit Enel. Current Sanji, who is overwhelmingly fast even compared to Queen, shouldn't have much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Silver2195 posted:

A Luffy who didn't even have Gear 2 yet managed to hit Enel. Current Sanji, who is overwhelmingly fast even compared to Queen, shouldn't have much trouble.

To be fair Luffy's made of rubber so obviously he can hit Enel without needing haki